Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Gimme your rub recipes for pork. I want something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RisqueBarber posted:

Pecan Lodge in Dallas

Went there when visiting family on a recommendation. It was good, but nothing to write home about.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Who's cooking today? I've got a pork butt going into the PBC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I did 4 racks of ribs yesterday for an early Father’s Day BBQ. 7/10, and then I scorched the sauce, but I think my family’s standards are lower than mine so it’s all good.

Goddamn I love ribs.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

I have a 6 pound plate of beef ribs ripping away at ~230F right now.

kids also surprised me with this today:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That is amazing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

VERTiG0 posted:

Going to do a turkey breast. Yeah, weird time of year but we've been having a hankering for a thanksgiving type dinner.

gently caress me though, it will be 95 out combined with 100% humidity.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Three racks of ribs are on the WSM. Overnight rest in the fridge with homemade rub, smoking on apple and pecan wood chunks.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

VERTiG0 posted:

Doing my first low and slow smoke ever. I’m on a Weber 22” charcoal grill. I bought 2 racks of super premium heritage baby back ribs from Savenors in Boston so I am praying I don’t screw them up. They was pricey.

Seems to be going well so far right now I’m ~80 minutes in, the applewood has stopped smoking and the probe reads 228 about 1” above the ribs. Got up to 240 near the beginning but not for very long maybe 15 or 20 minutes? I’m watching it like a hawk.

My only concern is that with the water pan the grill is a bit crowded with only about 0.5 to 1” at most between the racks so it may take longer for them to cook through.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

ROJO posted:

I'm going to be flying into Dallas, driving to Houston, and flying out from there. Any killer brisket to seek out in or between those cities?

Corkscrew in Spring (just off I45 on your way into Houston)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos posted:

My only concern is that with the water pan the grill is a bit crowded with only about 0.5 to 1” at most between the racks so it may take longer for them to cook through.

Rotated the racks at the 120 min mark and the air temp in the grill shot up to 263. It’s coming down now though.

I think they still have a ways to go though.

e: note to self. 13x9 for a water or drip pan is too large for this grill

e2: took them out after almost 5 hours. Absolutely lovely.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 17, 2018

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Not in the smoker, but I'm doing a miso and ginger glazed salmon on the grill.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Is there a grilling thread? We finally have room for one and I'd like to pick some brains.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Just post it here. Most of us do both anyway.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Anyone here have a lot experience with an Oklahoma Joe Highland? More specifically a modified OKH? I've been looking into offsets to compliment my 18" WSM for larger cooks and I saw a highly modified one near by for $500.

The modifications included gasket kits for both the chamber and fire box, locking latches for the cook chamber, charcoal basket, tuning plate, water pan, a flame boss 200 with wifi.

Worth it? Still a piece of junk? General opinions?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Just post it here. Most of us do both anyway.

Alrighty. Just looking for recommendations for a decent propane grill under $500. I'd like at least 3 burners. So far the Broil King Signet looks good. A lot of reviews for CharBroil grills talk about how the innards rusted even with a cover.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Alrighty. Just looking for recommendations for a decent propane grill under $500. I'd like at least 3 burners. So far the Broil King Signet looks good. A lot of reviews for CharBroil grills talk about how the innards rusted even with a cover.

Check craigslist or facebook market place for an older Weber Genesis. They're great grills and parts are readily available online in case it might need something. You usually find ripping deals, $25-$100 for one that is leaps and bounds better than new grills sold at most big box stores for 5 times the price.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

10 Beers posted:

I have a CharBroil and my one complaint is that there is no low setting (which makes sense given the name). The burners go from high to super high. Even with just one burner on it's lowest setting the grill gets up to 400, all 3 going and it's like 750+. Great for steaks but bad for basically anything else. I bust out the charcoal grill if I want a low temp.

I haven't had any issues with rusting even with a cover, but I live in CA so it's not humid or rainy at all.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 18, 2018

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Got a huge frozen wild boar shoulder from a buddy a few months ago (it is now pretty drat freezer-burned thanks to the bag popping open at some point). Figured it be perfect for a sous vide + smoke since boar is so lean.

Tentative plan is:

1. Let the shoulder thaw until it gets to fridge temp. Dry off and salt for ~12hr or whatever.
2. Cut in half, rub, and bag - it's really long and don't see another way to make it actually fit in a bag besides cutting it
3. Sous Vide @ 165 for 24 hours (kind of guessing on time)
4. Take out of bath, reserve drippings, dry off and re-rub
5. Smoke @ 300 for 90min or until a nice bark forms

Anyone attempted this before? I'm fairly new to sous-viding so don't really know the best way to tackle this. Would love some feedback.

Oh also - don't really have a sous vide container that's big enough for this monstrosity so might just use a home depot bucket or something. Is that too deep for the circulator to maintain accurate temp?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

dy. posted:

Got a huge frozen wild boar shoulder from a buddy a few months ago (it is now pretty drat freezer-burned thanks to the bag popping open at some point). Figured it be perfect for a sous vide + smoke since boar is so lean.

Tentative plan is:

1. Let the shoulder thaw until it gets to fridge temp. Dry off and salt for ~12hr or whatever.
2. Cut in half, rub, and bag - it's really long and don't see another way to make it actually fit in a bag besides cutting it
3. Sous Vide @ 165 for 24 hours (kind of guessing on time)
4. Take out of bath, reserve drippings, dry off and re-rub
5. Smoke @ 300 for 90min or until a nice bark forms

Anyone attempted this before? I'm fairly new to sous-viding so don't really know the best way to tackle this. Would love some feedback.

Oh also - don't really have a sous vide container that's big enough for this monstrosity so might just use a home depot bucket or something. Is that too deep for the circulator to maintain accurate temp?

Going to let you know as I've done a number of 'bbq & smoke' SV things. The smoke isn't going to be as prevalent as it is when smoking from raw. As for a cooking vessel I bought a cooler and cut a hole in it to use for big/long cooks. It's more efficient for the circulator.
This is the one I use - https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Can-...748610593&psc=1

If you want more of a smoke you could smoke 1st then SV. I've always thought this was silly though as you'd have to put it back on the smoke to get the bark. Additionally, I've never cared for final temp stuff, it was just about getting the bark.

As for time, Kenji hhas pork shoulder (5 to 7 pounds total) for pulled pork which he does 165°F (74°C) for more traditionally textured pulled pork, for 18-24hrs.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe.html

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Also, the colder the meat the more smoke it will absorb.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

sterster posted:

Going to let you know as I've done a number of 'bbq & smoke' SV things. The smoke isn't going to be as prevalent as it is when smoking from raw. As for a cooking vessel I bought a cooler and cut a hole in it to use for big/long cooks. It's more efficient for the circulator.
This is the one I use - https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Can-...748610593&psc=1

If you want more of a smoke you could smoke 1st then SV. I've always thought this was silly though as you'd have to put it back on the smoke to get the bark. Additionally, I've never cared for final temp stuff, it was just about getting the bark.

As for time, Kenji hhas pork shoulder (5 to 7 pounds total) for pulled pork which he does 165°F (74°C) for more traditionally textured pulled pork, for 18-24hrs.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe.html
I was actually thinking about cooling in an ice bath before putting on the smoker, figuring that the cold meat will pull more smoke that way. Do you think that would be different than smoke>SV>smoke?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(Similar conversation going on in the SV thread now too.)

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

(Similar conversation going on in the SV thread now too.)
oh nice, will monitor that, thanks!

micron
Nov 15, 2005

atothesquiz posted:

Check craigslist or facebook market place for an older Weber Genesis. They're great grills and parts are readily available online in case it might need something. You usually find ripping deals, $25-$100 for one that is leaps and bounds better than new grills sold at most big box stores for 5 times the price.

Seconding this. Even if you had to replace parts Weber sells pretty much everything for their line up. My Weber is probably 25 years old.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Murgos posted:

e2: took them out after almost 5 hours. Absolutely lovely.

Glad your first smoke went well, but keep in mind that part of the glory of smoking is the ability to take a cut of meat that is otherwise nearly inedible, and make it amazing. Smoke more cheap things, rather than fewer expensive things.

:)

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

micron posted:

Seconding this. Even if you had to replace parts Weber sells pretty much everything for their line up. My Weber is probably 25 years old.

Craigslist: $125

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Glad your first smoke went well, but keep in mind that part of the glory of smoking is the ability to take a cut of meat that is otherwise nearly inedible, and make it amazing. Smoke more cheap things, rather than fewer expensive things.

:)

I usually just use the grill to sear steaks or burgers hot and fast, getting an afternoon to hang out and mind the grill was a fathers day present. Not going to happen too often. But now I know I can get a solid ~230 degrees for > 5 hours (about 1/5 the coals were still uncharred when I pulled the ribs) with minimal attention so I may be able to 'set it and forget it' with only an occasional check in and do more frequent smokes in between other chores/errands.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Any suggestions on how to smoke country-style pork "ribs"? I know they're not actually ribs, but a buddy grabbed a bunch while he was at the butcher today. Slow and low like a butt/ribs, or something different? Going to be doing wings and baby backs on my WSM, just not sure if that approach is best for this type of cut as well.

Amazing Ribs suggests not cooking them up over 140, other places say do it. I'd welcome any advice.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

atothesquiz posted:

Craigslist: $125

That's a drat fine looking grill. How much work/replacement parts did you have to toss at it after you snagged it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

qutius posted:

Any suggestions on how to smoke country-style pork "ribs"? I know they're not actually ribs, but a buddy grabbed a bunch while he was at the butcher today. Slow and low like a butt/ribs, or something different? Going to be doing wings and baby backs on my WSM, just not sure if that approach is best for this type of cut as well.

Amazing Ribs suggests not cooking them up over 140, other places say do it. I'd welcome any advice.

I'd go with slow and low. One of those mystery meats depending on what the butcher calls it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

qutius posted:

I've had tough ones and tender ones. many times in the same package. I agree with low and slow, just to be sure. Cannot overdo them and if you do, hey pulled pork, eh?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Works for me! Maybe I'll pull one out when it hits 140ish just to try, we have plenty. Haven't fired up in the smoker in too long so looking forward to Friday :getin:

qutius fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 20, 2018

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

qutius posted:

That's a drat fine looking grill. How much work/replacement parts did you have to toss at it after you snagged it?

None. It was only missing the heavier metal grease can that you put the foil tins in but I never bothered to replace it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Turns out my grill questions are mute because my in-laws got us a 3 burner CharBroil infrared as a housewarming gift! Can't wait to fire it up!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

*moot

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
best dry rub ribs I've done

MrYenko