Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

QuarkMartial posted:

Louisiana is the best general purpose hot sauce.

Hot Ones pissed me off. Every time I tried to order their chipotle sauce it was out of stock and now they've up and decided to quit making it. Bullshit imo.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it's that great of a hot sauce. It's VERY watery and too sweet. It's in my fridge now and I'll reach for the Tabasco Chipotle over it every time. Maybe I just haven't found the right application?

In other Hot Ones news, I have a bottle of The Last Dab reaper edition waiting to be cracked open and I'm excited for that :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
This is why I like dropping in to World Market from time to time.

They're both deliciously hot.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I got some Melinda's yesterday too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Day 3
90% red/orange peppers, Habs, red jalapeño, & cayenne, but the couple golden cayenne really stand out for some reason. Also couple of garlic cloves in there. Smells amazing already.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Try to avoid Melinda's. Marie Sharp, the Trini woman who now runs Marie Sharp's, initially started Melinda's in the 80s and made a deal with some people in the US to distribute her Melinda's sauces. They took advantage of her and registered the trademark to themselves, then cut her out.

There's a whole interview discussing it here:

http://www.belizemagazine.com/edition04/english/e04_05questions.htm

Basically, buy Marie Sharp's, and don't support the dicks who hosed over a Trini woman who didn't know anything about US trademark law.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Cool cool, the store had a bottle of Marie Sharp's special edition Smoked Habanero sauce, anybody tried it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Man, I wanted to try the Hot Ones Fiery Chipotle, but it was always out of stock. Now they've discontinued it, so I was tempted to try Los Calientes and just add some other sauces mentioned in this thread to take advantage of the flat rate shipping...buuuut they're out of stock of Dirty Dick's and the Queen Majesty I was wanting to try. Amazon packs together the dirty dicks, queen majesty, and the aarvark habanero for $30, so I might just go with that deal instead and skip the Los Calientes for now.

I'm not sure why they discontinued the fiery chipotle since it was always selling out.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

Try to avoid Melinda's. Marie Sharp, the Trini woman who now runs Marie Sharp's, initially started Melinda's in the 80s and made a deal with some people in the US to distribute her Melinda's sauces. They took advantage of her and registered the trademark to themselves, then cut her out.

There's a whole interview discussing it here:

http://www.belizemagazine.com/edition04/english/e04_05questions.htm

Basically, buy Marie Sharp's, and don't support the dicks who hosed over a Trini woman who didn't know anything about US trademark law.

Marie Sharp's Belizian Heat is one of the best hot sauces I have ever had. I can't find it anywhere and its been at least 5 years since I had my last bottle.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Man, I wanted to try the Hot Ones Fiery Chipotle, but it was always out of stock. Now they've discontinued it, so I was tempted to try Los Calientes and just add some other sauces mentioned in this thread to take advantage of the flat rate shipping...buuuut they're out of stock of Dirty Dick's and the Queen Majesty I was wanting to try. Amazon packs together the dirty dicks, queen majesty, and the aarvark habanero for $30, so I might just go with that deal instead and skip the Los Calientes for now.

I'm not sure why they discontinued the fiery chipotle since it was always selling out.

Dollars to donuts says they bring it back. Way to much of a demand for it. I pre-ordered the Los Calientes and can't wait. Still have The Last Dab on my shelf as well.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Flaggy posted:

Marie Sharp's Belizian Heat is one of the best hot sauces I have ever had. I can't find it anywhere and its been at least 5 years since I had my last bottle.

all the Marie Sharp stuff is readily available through mail order if you're willing to pay the shipping. sometimes they discount the shipping if you buy enough at once.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

all the Marie Sharp stuff is readily available through mail order if you're willing to pay the shipping. sometimes they discount the shipping if you buy enough at once.

Yeah, its 5 bucks on Amazon with free shipping. Probably going that route.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flaggy posted:

Dollars to donuts says they bring it back. Way to much of a demand for it. I pre-ordered the Los Calientes and can't wait. Still have The Last Dab on my shelf as well.

I’ll buy both if they bring back the fiery chipotle.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

knox_harrington posted:

Great thread. For any UK goons reading I 100% recommend Dalston Chillies Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce. Pretty hot but absolutely delicious so you get that conflict between wanting to put more on while fighting your mouth on fire.

link to shop

This is a table sauce in the Brewdog chain of pubs and it's real good

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just got in my three pack of dirty dicks, secret aardvark habanero, and queen majesty-plus I picked up a bottle of Trader Joe’s habanero sauce yesterday.

Traders Joe’s, as mentioned earlier-just tastes like heat to me, nothing else really. I don’t know what I’ll use this for.

Dirty dicks tropical sauce is amazing. Reminds me a little bit of tiger hot sauce but spicier. I love it.

Queen majesty is great-I like the ginger added to it.

Secret aardvark is ok? I feel like maybe on bbq it would be good?

What are you guys using these sauces for?

nwin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 23, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I use Aardvark's jerk sauce as a marinade, it's too salty for me to use as a sauce. The habanero I just use as a sauce on whatever.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

nwin posted:

Just got in my three pack of dirty dicks, secret aardvark habanero, and queen majesty-plus I picked up a bottle of Trader Joe’s habanero sauce yesterday.

Traders Joe’s, as mentioned earlier-just tastes like heat to me, nothing else really. I don’t know what I’ll use this for.

Dirty dicks tropical sauce is amazing. Reminds me a little bit of tiger hot sauce but spicier. I love it.

Queen majesty is great-I like the ginger added to it.

Secret aardvark is ok? I feel like maybe on bbq it would be good?

tiger sauce but hotter sounds about perfect, gonna have to check that one out.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

nwin posted:

I would use the trader joe's sauce for cooking when you don't want to alter the flavor per say but want more heat.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Folks I just discovered Lao Gan Ma

What should I put it on? It's delicious but I need to pick my battles because it's like 200 calories per serving.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

COOL CORN posted:

Folks I just discovered Lao Gan Ma

What should I put it on? It's delicious but I need to pick my battles because it's like 200 calories per serving.

Eggs
Rice
Food
Things that aren't food
Literally everything in your life

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
stir it into noodles, that's entry level Angry Grandma style.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anyone ever try a solera style fermented hot sauce? I have a shitton of peppers that will be coming in from the garden and I'm not sure I'll be able to consume them all but it's kind of weird making a ton of small batches of hot sauce. Would be kinda nifty to start a sort of mother culture that I harvest a pint from every now and then and replace with fresh pepper and salt. I know the sauce would evolve over time but I think that kind of makes it interesting.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Went to World Market while waiting for a movie and scored Melinda's Naga Jolokia and Dave's Scorpion Pepper sauce.

The Melinda's is actually pretty good. I put a few drops on some rice and mild curry and it really made everything pop. It wasn't obnoxiously hot either.

I'm gonna try it on some Trader Joe's Orange Chicken later, along with the Scorpion.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Los Calientes from Hot Ones showed up. Tastes awful, like someone spit chewing tobacco in my mouth with a tiny bit of heat. Instant regret on this purchase.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flaggy posted:

Los Calientes from Hot Ones showed up. Tastes awful, like someone spit chewing tobacco in my mouth with a tiny bit of heat. Instant regret on this purchase.

That’s too bad-hopefully everyone else thinks the same way and they go back to making their fiery chipotle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wouldn't say Los Calientes tastes awful per se, but it's definitely not particularly good, and certainly not as good as Fiery Chipotle. It's smokier than I want and doesn't really taste like much beyond some seared serranos. Which, like, seared serranos taste fine I guess, but it's just kinda one-dimensional.

Luckily I got a refill on my Secret Aardvark supply in the same shipment so all is not lost.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve been making the chipotle honey grill wings from Serious Eats and this time I was fanning the aardvark habanero sauce on top-man was that amazing.

Have you guys tried using that sauce as solely a wing sauce or would it not really work?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

I’ve been making the chipotle honey grill wings from Serious Eats and this time I was fanning the aardvark habanero sauce on top-man was that amazing.

Have you guys tried using that sauce as solely a wing sauce or would it not really work?

I have and loved it, but I will put Secret Aardvark on almost anything.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

That’s too bad-hopefully everyone else thinks the same way and they go back to making their fiery chipotle.

Agreed, I need more of that stuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My friends and I have done three full Hot Ones lineups (mostly because we keep introducing more friends to the joys of hot sauce and then they want to try it so I cook more wings and we do it all again) and the Aardvark wing is almost always the most delicious one, or tied for it with Dirty Dick's. Even just a plain wing tossed in nothing but Secret Aardvark is delicious. It's a drat good sauce. (Side note from the Hot Ones experiences: people aren't kidding when they say Da Bomb is the worst sauce. That one tastes awful.)

Over the weekend I cooked some flank steak tacos with some friends and lemme tell you Aardvark is incredible on grilled meat, too.

I also got a bottle of the Bronx Greenmarket sauce and it really drives home how disappointing Los Calientes is. They're both serrano-heavy sauces, but the Bronx one is really tasty, bright, and refreshing, while Los Calientes is just kind of overly smoky and boring.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

With the aardvark or dirty dicks, do you just use the sauce or do you ever make it like normal wings (Franks and butter)?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nwin posted:

With the aardvark or dirty dicks, do you just use the sauce or do you ever make it like normal wings (Franks and butter)?

I'm pretty sure the hot wings lineup always just tosses in pure sauce

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just use the sauce, though I've never tried making an actual wing sauce with butter using those sauces. Secret Aardvark and Dirty Dick's are thick enough to stick to the wing and flavored strongly enough that I don't need to coat a wing with quite as thick of a sauce as I'd want to for standard buffalo wings with Frank's.

The reason I've just tossed them in the straight sauce is because every time I've cooked wings recently we're doing the Hot Ones thing, and with that many sauces and that many wings it just isn't practical to make a butter-based sauce. I'll have to give it a try the next time I'm cooking some wings just to have some tasty wings, though.

COOL CORN posted:

I'm pretty sure the hot wings lineup always just tosses in pure sauce

Yeah. Though I'm not sure if it's to avoid diluting the sauces or just because it'd be a huge pain in the rear end to make a bunch of different butter-based sauces. Or because it's a janky low-budget show and nobody involved with the actual production knows how to cook, least of all the host :v:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I like using dave's ghost pepper or something with extract for a few drips, butter, then whatever sauce as the primary flavor. Gives more heat. Once I run out of Dave's I don't think I'll be replacing the extract sauce though... need to keep finding uses for it to get rid of it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I like using dave's ghost pepper or something with extract for a few drips, butter, then whatever sauce as the primary flavor. Gives more heat. Once I run out of Dave's I don't think I'll be replacing the extract sauce though... need to keep finding uses for it to get rid of it.

Chili, lots of chili.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I bought some local hot pepper jam the other day and now every morning I make myself an egg sandwich with a bunch of this jam and it's loving great. It's got this great balance of sweet pepper and heat. What else is pepper jam delicious on? I was thinking grilled cheese, too, and probably burgers.

SweetAl13
Jun 4, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I bought some local hot pepper jam the other day and now every morning I make myself an egg sandwich with a bunch of this jam and it's loving great. It's got this great balance of sweet pepper and heat. What else is pepper jam delicious on? I was thinking grilled cheese, too, and probably burgers.

My folks pour a whole jar over a block of cream cheese and eat it with crackers. I thought it was normal growing up but have never seen it elsewhere. Not bad though.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That stuff is great with prosciutto or nduja on a sandwich with some aged cheese, too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

SweetAl13 posted:

My folks pour a whole jar over a block of cream cheese and eat it with crackers. I thought it was normal growing up but have never seen it elsewhere. Not bad though.

Yeah I like hot pepper jam on top of cream cheese on top of a Ritz cracker. I usually just make each cracker a la cart, I'd be too tempted to eat an entire block of cream cheese otherwise.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

SweetAl13 posted:

It's a fairly common holiday/party snack around here. My wife and I brought a jolokia strawberry jam that I'd never tried before with crackers and cream cheese to a New Year's party. The jam was amazing but it was entirely too hot to bring to a large party with lots of people we didn't know. We felt bad the first time someone flipped out after trying a bite, so we made a little sign warning everyone about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah I like hot pepper jam on top of cream cheese on top of a Ritz cracker. I usually just make each cracker a la cart, I'd be too tempted to eat an entire block of cream cheese otherwise.

Pepper jam/jelly + cream cheese is a thing my wife's family does, too. It's a good party food.