Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So this got complex, but it boils down to these two options as far as I can see. and it's to complex for me to gauge who has what6 vote at this point.

Prince of Space posted:

1 C Large Mana Pool
2 B No Hired Workers
3 400 years Throw all the minions into the pot and see what rises.

Extra notes: Build fortress underwater before raising island above sea level.

Splicer posted:

Ugh this is getting too complicated.
10 small mana pools.
Raise castle through sheer force of will, use beavers for detail work.
Raid a few ships passing through the strait and turn them into crabbersons and shrimpmen, make some more of that shark thing that ate the original seaglass.
Take stock.

e: Please note complete lack of time shenanigans

Plan Splicer or plan Prince?

At least I made you all think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Plan Splicer Step 1 has been updated to "medium or large mana pool, which ever is needed to raise a castle and island" based on fresh mana information. The core divergence is

A) Buy an additional small mana pool and spend a while sinking ships with minions for parts and treasure
OR
B) Throw all the minions into the pot for 400 years and see what rises.

Otherwise we're in agreement re purchases and island raising.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 18, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Plan princer. We are specializing in management, not combat.

e; with the understanding that in the time plane we are making sure we are revered as a God every time they get food, water, gently caress, etc.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 18, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That's plan prince!!! close enough!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 18, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
plan splicer

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Splicerrrrrrrr

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Prince

Also expend and recharge the empty manapool in the time plane if possible and try to talk the stingrays into ruling the time plane for us in exchange for life extending magic.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Prince

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Splicer

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Prince

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Prince :jp::zoid:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Splicer

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Splicer

I'm always leery of time shenanigans.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

splicer

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Gotta go with plan Splicer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Splicer . We can experiment with time later, when we have more disposable resources.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Prince. Hunter offered us an army, we're gonna take it drat it!

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Splicer

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Build the entire castle out of Perma-Hasted Battle Trilobites clinging to each other, covered in a thin layer of magical plaster that disintegrates upon our personal command, which awakens the Trilobites hungry for war.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mana from the store.

Sarga goes shopping. The quickest way to complete this contract is to raise the castle through magic, and to do that, she’s going to need a whole load of mana. While a Manawell is expensive, it is able to give her access to huge amounts of power.
Well was a bit of a poor description, but people didn’t want to buy something called a Manajar, or even a Manaamphora, which would be the best description of the item she laid out half of her savings on. The Jar was red, with a swirling pattern on it that moves as she watches, she knows from class that as the well is depleted, the red will be replaced with more and more black, slowly turning red again as the natural power of the universe seeped back into it.

She has Irwin carry the Well for her, and she makes her way to the teleportation area. Seaglass is waiting there with the beavers. She has had to pay some gold to get them some deep water gear, but the shells around their necks will allow them to operate underwater permanently, and are a small price to pay. They are also now carrying a number of wicked looking weapons and some basic armour.
“Ready for some raiding” She asks.
”Yarrth!” They roar back. The plan is simple, make a bit of money on the side by raiding any ships in the area - it will bring in some extra income, and build up the cover of her being a roaming monster. If some of her employers ships were taken down, it would just be part of the cost of a good front.
Sarga had already taken the precaution of speaking to Seaglass. She was to watch Irwin, and make sure he did not stray - she did not think that this would be a problem here, as a Rogue was used to the idea of liberating other people's property, but she was still not to sure on her control over the former hero. Seaglass was looking more loyal by the day, so this would be a good test for her.

Arriving at the bottom of the sea, Sarga immediately sets her minions off on their own little adventure, and set to work on the castle. She called upon the immense power of the Manawell and began casting the largest spell she had ever cast.
”Constructus maxima non-elucid Ya ya ya…..”

Viewpoint - Seaglass

”Glub blus ….. Largest ship I have ever seen.” Seaglass says to Irwin, as the merchantman approaches
”It’s not that big, the really large ones are not going to be wasting their time in a strait, they are built for the high seas.”. He replies. She can’t be sure if he’s being patronising or not, water does a good job of stripping inflection from speech.
”How many crew do you think?” She asked.
”Twenty max, maybe on or two who can fight.”
”More than two to one odds, but with fear and surprise, I think we can take them.”
”Or.” He starts. ”We can pop up in front of them, warn them that Scrawgill is in the area. They plead with them to take us to a wizard and give us our old bodies back. He said. Seaglass turned to look at him.
”Betray our mistress?” She asked.
”She’s not our mistress, shes the monster that kidnapped and mutilated us, turned us into this!” he motions around him. ”We could have our old lives back!”
”Who says we want our old lives back?” She replies quietly.
”What?”
”You were a hero, you travelled the world and had adventures. Before this, I was a fishergirl. I was going to be lucky if I ever saw the nearest city. I might have visited the nearest town once or twice in my life. When I saw the death of the real Seaglass, the Hero who had come to save our village, I saw my chance. I knew in my heart I was most likely going to die, but it was better to go out on the chance of being something than to live as nothing. This.” She motions to herself. ”This is not what I planned, but its something.Something more than a live of nothingness.”
Irwin ponders this for a few seconds before turning to the beavers. They were staring slackjawed and bucktoothed at Seaglass.
”And you?”
”Whtee never thought about it likth that. But sthe’s right, We were nothin out there.”
”So I take it any attempt to run or switch sides would end poorly?” Collective nods reply. ”Well then, let’s be monsters!” Irwin raises his daggers and cracks a smile.

The ship crew never stood a chance. The fore sentry had just completed the thought “that’s a strange looking dolphin” before Seaglass erupted from the waves and put and arrow in his throat. The aft sentry didn’t even get that far before Irwin inserted a dagger into each lung.
Instilled with a newfound sense of purpose, the beavers scaled the side of the ship and launched a frenzied attack.
Within minutes, all the crew were dead and the ship was theirs.

Viewpoint : Sarga.

The Castle was taking shape now, the foundations had taken a good while to shape, and she had spent some time forming some good crenulations - the place look like something a monster would make, but would be functional for humans. The fortress would have two walls and a keep and she had made ample space around the docks for a town. She had made the island with high cliffs around the unnatural harbour, and had even made jetties out of the bedrock.

Now came the time to raise it. She would have to extend the bedrock without causing an eruption. She began to lift, and to begin with, it went well, then the magma from below began to push, the entire castle shot up faster than she planned, and she was forced to backpedal as the water began to boil around her, she was able to bring it under control, but there was a lot more new rock under the water than she had planned.

Once the rock had cooled enough, Sarga dove deeper to inspect the layers. The area around the harbour was thankfully clear, and it looked like she had inadvertently created a ring of jagged rocks around most of the rest of the island. This would be a great layer of defences.

Then it caught her eye. Glowing blue and purple. A hole in the ground.

She swims closer to it, and what she sees takes the water from her gills. It’s a manafont. A natural collection of mana that has built up over the centuries. This was one of the rarest natural phenomena in the world. Wizards and sorcerers fought wars over manafonts. Kingdoms found themselves either enriched or destroyed when one was found in their borders.
And here one was, in the middle of a sea between two hostile powers, under the fortress of a Dungeon Master. Now it was uncovered, it would begin calling to every magic user in a thousand miles.

Things just got interesting…..

We hit the first major crossroads in our story, as what we do now can have massive repercussions.

1 - Do we take it for ourselves? Its a source of near unlimited power, with a fortress on top of it. We could try and hold it. Though it would draw heroes and kingdoms like moths to a flame.
2 - Do we sell it? We can try and make as much money as we can, if we can get an auction going.
3 - Do we forge a magic item? This would be the quickest but most inefficent way of dealing with the manafont - crack it open and pour as much energy as we can into an item. This would destroy it, but give us a powerful item.
4 - Something else?

quote:

Mana = 45/45 1 Large Manawell 300/1000
Gold = 10,000

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
5 Beaverpeople. (lead by Holta.)

At the Sapphire Isle
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week. (1 crates on hand)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is it possible to move the font somewhere else? Can we refill our manawell without destroying the font?

4 - Renegotiate our contract. Tell them about the manafont and ask if they'd like to expand the deal, a peninsula.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Refilling the manawell is easy, moving it is impossible.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

See our chance and take it. 1

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

3. Something to increase our personal mana well permanently or defense.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
3:Create a portable version.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Would it be possible to infuse ourself with its power to boost our maximum mana?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Imbue its power into a trident.

We are too early in our careers to defend this thing. Our minions are too few, too inexperienced, and not loyal enough. Our experience in combat is nonexistant to bad. We already have a contract to hand this place over. If this thing truly is powerful enough to cause wars between kingdoms and is actively calling every wizard in a thousand miles, we need to dump its power into a trident right the gently caress now before any of them show up to take it. We don't have time to renegotiate, we don't have time to set up an auction (and again, if it is this powerful, who is to say people don't just take it). The only alternative I can see is potentially hiding it - is it possible to re-seal this thing and come back for it later? Or do magic users already know where it is to a well enough degree that it would be discovered? If we can hide it, we could build ourselves a backdoor into the fortress and come back later with a proper army to defend its use.

Trident fits us and serves offensive purposes directly, can act as a spellcasting focus underwater, and a full on magic trident is the kind of poo poo that gets emblazoned on minion uniforms and flags to generate loyalty.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Imbue its power into a trident.

We are too early in our careers to defend this thing. Our minions are too few, too inexperienced, and not loyal enough. Our experience in combat is nonexistant to bad. We already have a contract to hand this place over. If this thing truly is powerful enough to cause wars between kingdoms and is actively calling every wizard in a thousand miles, we need to dump its power into a trident right the gently caress now before any of them show up to take it. We don't have time to renegotiate, we don't have time to set up an auction (and again, if it is this powerful, who is to say people don't just take it). The only alternative I can see is potentially hiding it - is it possible to re-seal this thing and come back for it later? Or do magic users already know where it is to a well enough degree that it would be discovered? If we can hide it, we could build ourselves a backdoor into the fortress and come back later with a proper army to defend its use.

Trident fits us and serves offensive purposes directly, can act as a spellcasting focus underwater, and a full on magic trident is the kind of poo poo that gets emblazoned on minion uniforms and flags to generate loyalty.

Yea, a magic trident sounds good

Take a day or two to get the best use out of the item - we don't want to be too wasteful. But every villian needs a signature magical artifact to use as loot, soo make something and continue as normal.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

super sweet best pal posted:

Would it be possible to infuse ourself with its power to boost our maximum mana?
I support plan Eat the manafont

Can we use the font to break our contract without getting automagical penalties? What are the automagical penalties?

If we can't Eat the manafont, hold the castle and keep building minions. Is there any way to sustainably turn mana directly into money (and therefore hirelings)? Can we open a hole to the plane of gold or straight philosopher's stone with it? If neither, can we open a discount manawell refilling service?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 20, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Put me on team Magic Trident

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

The only alternative I can see is potentially hiding it - is it possible to re-seal this thing and come back for it later? Or do magic users already know where it is to a well enough degree that it would be discovered?

Grey Hunter, can we get a clarification on this point before trident takes hold?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

IcePhoenix posted:

Put me on team Magic Trident

Do it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The CAT Magic portal is well and truly out of the bag now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Giant Salad Fork

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Manapool Golem

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

The CAT Magic portal is well and truly out of the bag now.

Create the Tide Piercer

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also when creating the trident we need to make sure it has like the biggest sapphire we can find in our mines in it somewhere (and probably more scattered throughout)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

That's what we need. A role model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Plan Salad Fork

We’ll be good on gold as soon as we finish this job and I don’t want to start breaking contracts this early.

I’ve been thinking some more about making an HR department and I’m convinced it should be staffed my manatee chimeras.

Maybe use seal chimeras for recon as they’re adorable and small, just need to figure out what sort of bioweapons to give them.

Get a whale chimera for ship breaking and a flock of seagull chimeras for dropping greek fire on our enemies from above the range of their weapons.

We should probably come up with a recruitment spiel too, better to have our enemies surrender for mass conversion on the promise of power and adventure than to slaughter half of them. Better for morale too if we can convince our minions that we’re the good guys. We’ve got enough mana now to start converting minions in bulk.