Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Good soup! posted:

gently caress RE2 Remake where is our EXECUTER HD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iahPKDCQZsc

This is for real something I thought I'd never watch. Thanks, Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Thematically, it sort of makes a lot more sense for Chris to be the one that turned into a monster and died to save the world. The HAOS plotline was really dumb anyway though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Piers... I'm already a steroid

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GUI posted:

that Piers was originally Jill but they were worried about the backlash from an angry guy (Chris) constantly verbally abusing a woman,

that's a reasonable explanation, but you can't convince me they didn't put in Piers to please the gay fanbase, because dang is it difficult to get even one page of RE fanart that doesn't feature them together in various stages of undress. That and the occasional Barry leatherdaddy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should kill Chris and give us even more Leon

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Creamed Cormp posted:

that's a reasonable explanation, but you can't convince me they didn't put in Piers to please the gay fanbase, because dang is it difficult to get even one page of RE fanart that doesn't feature them together in various stages of undress. That and the occasional Barry leatherdaddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8oER-NRMKQ&t=45s

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

chris "man mountain" redfield was already killed by the new engine for re7

and now there's more leon on the way

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
capcom had a stream in japanese today showing off the e3 demo but during the stream before the demo they had music from the remake playing and it was a redone version of the theme that plays during the extreme battle mode, so i guess thats in too?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lunethex posted:

Piers... I'm already a steroid

The S-Virus?! Oh my God, Chris, noooooooo!’

*after a fierce battle, Chris goes down, and Rebecca approaches, leveling her Magnum at him*

‘I’m sorry Chris...’

*BLAM!*

‘...but winners don’t do drugs.’

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

And then Chris turns into a boulder. Of roid-muscle.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wanted to find some extremely bara Chris fanart to prove my point but then decided it would be a bad idea and I already have enough probations anyway.

however I found this and it's pretty good

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

As far as the soundtrack, the main thing is that Escape From Laboratory is still intact and unchanged for the remake. Used that as my ringtone for a while but it was too intense.

https://youtu.be/lZSojT3vLsg

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 20, 2018

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So I'm guessing this will be the canon version of RE 2, like how REmake replaced RE1?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I wouldn't say REmake completely replaced RE1. According to Revelations 2 at least, the Jill Sandwich line is totally canon.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Help Im Alive posted:

chris and leon fit very different roles. they should kill chris and give us more barry fuckin burton

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

As far as the soundtrack, the main thing is that Escape From Laboratory is still intact and unchanged for the remake. Used that as my ringtone for a while but it was too intense.

https://youtu.be/lZSojT3vLsg

It’s not the same without “All employees proceed to the bottom platform.”

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its funny I scurried to link it from my phone after posting it and I originally pasted it in with that dubbed over, but found a version without.

I fired up RE0 last night as I never did play it, and my god its just too painful running on my laptop with an old GT630. Seemed half okay with everything turned down, til I went upstairs. Just cant do it. I wonder if Revelations would be any better, that was some kinda handheld game wasn't it?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 21, 2018

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the first revelations was a 3ds game yeah

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I'm still totally salty about how Revelations 1 single player and Raid mode are so much better than its sequel. I still get a strong feeling of disappointment every time Revelations if brought up. I wanted 2 to be good so badly.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Broose posted:

I'm still totally salty about how Revelations 1 single player and Raid mode are so much better than its sequel. I still get a strong feeling of disappointment every time Revelations if brought up. I wanted 2 to be good so badly.

I found Rev 2 to be better in every way.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

GUI posted:

I posted this over a year ago here, but the only things I've read online from random people (so take it with a huge grain of salt) about RE6 are all about Chris' campaign: That it was added very late into development, that Piers was originally Jill but they were worried about the backlash from an angry guy (Chris) constantly verbally abusing a woman, and that originally he was going to be the one who died at the end.

Huh, interesting. I wonder if we'll ever hear more about the development. A lot of the RE5 dev stuff came out later, didn't it, or is that just old stuff from the art books and stuff being dredged up?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
They've been fairly forthright about RE6, even before it came out. Capcom went into 2012 with a big hole in its budget thanks to the Fukushima quake and the ensuing rolling brownouts, so the executives threw a lot of marketing and did a lot of meddling in an attempt to make RE6 the big hail-Mary pass that would put them back on top. The Chris campaign was the last one added and is specifically there to try to grab Call of Duty fans.

I've also heard anecdotally that the reason Chris and Piers are the first two-dude team in the entire history of the franchise is because they didn't want Chris to be all brain-damage aggro at a woman due to the potential for terrible optics, but I've never heard that from anyone involved in the production.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Finally picked up RE7 on sale and...I don't think it's for me. It's not really scary as much of...just kinda gross? Not like discomforting gross but just like 'ew I don't wanna look at that'.

Admittedly I am SUPER easy to squick out.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Flytrap posted:

Finally picked up RE7 on sale and...I don't think it's for me. It's not really scary as much of...just kinda gross? Not like discomforting gross but just like 'ew I don't wanna look at that'.

Admittedly I am SUPER easy to squick out.

I really liked RE7 and thought it was the right change in direction the series needed. It wasn't as scary as it should have been but it had atmosphere and you always felt on edge. It followed the same idea and pacing of the first three games and it was a welcome back to basics.
It's let down by the final third of the story, where Capcom evidently lost its nerve and just devolved into a generic action game again. Maybe the executives got impatient and started putting their hands in the soup again.

The RE2 remake looks like it might prove that it isn't the camera angle that necessarily makes an RE game good, but the pacing and action. RE5 and 6 were let down by falling deep into the Stallone-1980s-action-movie rabbit hole and not focusing on the survival horror aspect. RE2 never suffered from that issue, even with enhanced magnums and super shotgun attachments people were walking on eggshells in that final laboratory area.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
RE7 takes a huge nosedive once Jack is out of the picture imo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Confession: I stopped playing RE7 right when I beat Marguerite, not because I didn't like it, but because I got busy with life stuff :negative:

Gonna pick it back up again today - personally I love it so far, it's interesting how different it is and yet it still feels like Resident Evil, a similar feeling I had toward RE4

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m playing 6 for the first time and it sucks so far. I started with Chris’ chapter and it’s just the worst. Are the other chapters better?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

RE7 takes a huge nosedive once Jack is out of the picture imo

I thought Lucas had a pretty good segment even if he doesn't have Jacks jovial presence. I think Marguerite kinda gets the poo poo end of the stick because her section of the game is short and she doesn't even get to gently caress with you the way the boys do in favor of just grossing you out with bugs. I hear she gets more screen time in DLC, I guess.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

sponges posted:

I’m playing 6 for the first time and it sucks so far. I started with Chris’ chapter and it’s just the worst. Are the other chapters better?

Chris' campaign is undoubtedly the weakest. For me it's Leon -> Jake -> Ada -> Chris. I think Chris' last chapter is pretty good though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sponges posted:

Sort of. If you're playing it solo though it's going to suck a lot more. RE6 is the type of game that needs to be MST3K'd while playing it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Make sure you turn off QTEs by the way

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

SettingSun posted:

Chris' campaign is undoubtedly the weakest. For me it's Leon -> Jake -> Ada -> Chris. I think Chris' last chapter is pretty good though.

Chris is the best because its mostly shooty bang bang with little QTEs and dumb scripted segments. We played coop with my friend a while back and we died from boredom when trying Leon campaign after Chris.

RE6 is at its worst when you are not shooting or punching things

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
RE7 is so good but it is a bit of a shame that Jack outshines the other two family members so dramatically

Like, they're good still, but Jack is such an effective and menacing villain that the game feels empty without him

I really like the 4 distinct styles of horror they went for, though

Jack = slasher movie villain
Marguerite = body horror contortionist grossness
Lucas = dumb idiot jerk from SAW
Spooky ghost girl = spooky ghost girl

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Barudak posted:

Make sure you turn off QTEs by the way

Does that turn off the actually cool section of Leon in the plane stopping it from crashing prematurely?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Does that turn off the actually cool section of Leon in the plane stopping it from crashing prematurely?

Nope, it just prevents you from failing.

Poor Leon.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Barudak posted:

Nope, it just prevents you from failing.

Poor Leon.

He got where he needed to be, faster even. Now everyone else, well... It's not like that was a super survivable time to be visiting the city anyway.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

WaltherFeng posted:

Chris is the best because its mostly shooty bang bang with little QTEs and dumb scripted segments. We played coop with my friend a while back and we died from boredom when trying Leon campaign after Chris.

RE6 is at its worst when you are not shooting or punching things

Yeah I actually think Chris and Jake have the best gameplay overall.

But then I kinda think RE has always been action games of a specific era rather than horror games in any real sense.

The games always had enough ammo to do pretty much anything you want. The only RE game where ammo was particularly limiting was Outbreak and Outbreak used respawning enemies a lot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the gameplay of 6 is really good when you delve into the melee system. this has the side effect of leaving you completely flush with ammo at all times, but that's less good than it sounds because of the godawful inventory. the gameplay is really bad during most of but not all of the parts where you can't melee stuff.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
If zombies take three headshots and that's not considering the lickers and stuff, it's no wonder they gave Leon a cushy government job for getting out of the city. Leon is hardcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

OldMemes posted:

If zombies take three headshots and that's not considering the lickers and stuff, it's no wonder they gave Leon a cushy government job for getting out of the city. Leon is hardcore.

They gave him the job to keep him away from them and the agency’s cars