Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Also blood sacrifice helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Should the animals sacrificed be pure black or pure white? I've heard it either way but surely one works better than the other?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
White animals for the good and pure magic (most magic falls under this)

Black animals for evil, banned magic (necromancy, talking to the dead, children's party magic, linking rings)

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 19, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i put all of my ability points into Spectator Failure

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Stage magic seems dope, I hope your new trick works out!

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

:wave:
I like to make computers go bleep blorp.
I'm trying to get into generative/performance visuals/VJing. I've got a copy of Resolume, an Akai MIDI Mix and no idea what I'm doing.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I was feeling good about how a comic I was working on was going, but now I'm feeling kinda iffy on it and I'm thinking I need to start over entirely with something else. So that's not great.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i used to have four goats - two piebald, one brown and one pure white. the piebald and brown goats were quite normal and delightful. the white goat was a wild-eyed demon sprite who would not let herself be touched by human hands and screamed constantly in the voice of a woman. eventually i had to plan to move back to the city, so all the goats went together to live with a nice family an hour's drive away. weeks after they left, a wildfire went through that area and everything was destroyed

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
the secret to being a good farmer is sometimes you just have to accept that one of your animals belongs to the LORD

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

TVsVeryOwn posted:

:wave:
I like to make computers go bleep blorp.
I'm trying to get into generative/performance visuals/VJing. I've got a copy of Resolume, an Akai MIDI Mix and no idea what I'm doing.

Hey - I make computers fart out pictures that move too! Rolling with TouchDesigner on PC and TouchViz for iOS. The latter works for experimentation really well, the former is a mess and hurts my brain..

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Right now I'm traditionally animating a short subject cartoon about a duck fihgitng a minotaur in a boxing match. You can see some footage of it here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKUKAB1Z9Wc

here's what the movie looks like before it is dumped into the computer and spit back out

pixelbaron posted:

Yeah, that kind of magic.

One way magic creators develop a trick is they come up with the overall effect/payoff/presentation (what the audience/camera/whatever is going to see) first and then work backwards from that point to figure out how they are going to achieve that magic moment in the best way possible. The way it worked for me this time around was the opposite: I was talking with someone about how they could utilize a couple of magic items they had and came up with something interesting during the course of the discussion that I mentally made a note of to develop further. So I developed the method first and then had to dick around and build up an interesting presentation.

Over the years, various magicians interested in magic theory have classified effects into various categories, like so:

Production (appearance, creation, multiplication)
Vanish (disappearance, obliteration)
Transposition (change in location)
Transformation (change in appearance, character or identity)
Penetration (one solid through another)
Restoration (making the destroyed whole)
Animation (movement imparted to the inanimate)
Anti-gravity (levitation and change in weight)
Attraction (mysterious adhesion)
Sympathetic Reaction (sympathetic response)
Invulnerability (injury-proof)
Physical Anomaly (contradictions, abnormalities, freaks)
Spectator Failure (magician's challenge)
Control (mind over the inanimate)
Identification (specific discovery)
Thought Reading (mental perception, mind reading)
Thought Transmission (thought projection and transference)
Prediction (foretelling the future)
Extrasensory Perception (unusual perception, other than mind)

This is just one example of effect classification, but this sums up everything that can be done in magic. Every piece of magic has one or more elements of the above, so you figure out what elements your trick has and then you research how to go about doing it. Each category above is going to have hundreds of variations depending on the objects you use and what you are doing, those variations are going to have improvements and subtleties added over the years , and so on, until the present day 2018.

To a certain degree you have to leave a portion of your ego at the door because there's no way to create something completely new and original in magic, you are always standing on the shoulders of someone else. You are usually coming up with some new way to present something, or a better way of doing something, or finding something that has been forgotten for 300 years and putting a modern spin on it.

That's kinda the gist of it.

dope as hell!!

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I'm still writing four novels at the same time because letting myself bounce over to the scene I want to work on, no matter which one it's for, is the only way to keep my fickle brain from stalling. But because I still don't have the first novel done, it feels like I'm getting nowhere even though I'm writing lots. :eng99:

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
cats

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've decided that I can never juggle more than one drawing at once and also I need to keep actively working on any picture I start. Anytime I stop working on a drawing all my motivation drains away and it becomes so much harder to actually complete it.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I've decided that I can never juggle more than one drawing at once and also I need to keep actively working on any picture I start. Anytime I stop working on a drawing all my motivation drains away and it becomes so much harder to actually complete it.

Same. I need to develop better habits. I hope to make several starts, that are literally just starts, for me to choose from and work into various degrees of "finished."

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Stuporstar posted:

I'm still writing four novels at the same time because letting myself bounce over to the scene I want to work on, no matter which one it's for, is the only way to keep my fickle brain from stalling. But because I still don't have the first novel done, it feels like I'm getting nowhere even though I'm writing lots. :eng99:

Oh hey nice to meet me.

I decided a while back that I can't call myself a writer if I don't actually, like, write. I'm close to two straight years now of writing something new every single day, even if only a few paragraphs. Sadly, though, I feel like my wellspring of creation runs dry if I maintain the same narrative for a long time. Right now I'm simul-writing two novel series plus various short stories and novellas. I'm forcing myself to finish one book because I'm so drat close, but it really does feel like a slog.

Another unfortunate side effect of my "new writing all the time" policy is that I'm kinda loath to revise a couple books I've already written. I realize this is beyond stupid if I ever intend to make any money off this labor. Still, though, being stupid has never been much of a deterrent before so why start worrying about it now. :v:

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
not a shitpost: i am making actual progress on a novel for the first time in my life, my super secret technique is to write it out in longhand with pen and hand the pages one by one to my mother, who hides them from me so i can't destroy them in a fit of rage and ennui as has happened every single time i've tried to do it digitally or in an exercise book that i knew how to find. for as long as i can remember i've been able to keep up a creative endeavour for six months at most before i suddenly become enraged at my own hubris and attack the project, like saturn devouring his children

i'm aware this post makes me sound dangerously unbalanced and that's ok

this broken hill fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 21, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
All mothers know the urge to kill their creation lest they be judged by it.

...I hear.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
mum hasn't yet read the novel, when she does she'll probably destroy me in a fit of rage and ennui, as is the natural order of things

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

this broken hill posted:

mum hasn't yet read the novel, when she does she'll probably destroy me in a fit of rage and ennui, as is the natural order of things

So it is written

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
hey i made a facebook group a few days ago for folks called Leftist Creators,Artists, Makers, Designers, etc. you should hop on in ans join if you want a cool place to post/discuss art with other like-minded folks

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I am considering revising something and shopping it around, and the very concept is terrifying, even though the stakes cannot possibly be lower. (The piece I want to clean up is a tiny bit of flash fiction from Thunderdome that I ended up liking, but I have almost no personal investment in it beyond its being my writing, which is apparently enough to make this scary.) I'm not always sure I have the nerve to be a writer.

I also can't plot for poo poo! I keep throwing around novel ideas, and every time I get about as far as a cast and scenario, and then I have almost nothing for the action. I'm starting to understand how people spin their wheels doing worldbuilding for years upon years.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 22, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Real question: are there really that many right-wing artists and creatives? Seems sort of a redundant classification.

I mean it's possible they exist and I just haven't run into them, kinda like I didn't really believe that you could get an artist without crippling mental health problems before I did a shoutout in the daily doodles thread and found out that there's at least one.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Real question: are there really that many right-wing artists and creatives? Seems sort of a redundant classification.

I mean it's possible they exist and I just haven't run into them, kinda like I didn't really believe that you could get an artist without crippling mental health problems before I did a shoutout in the daily doodles thread and found out that there's at least one.

http://jonmcnaughton.com/

:911:

Couldn't remember his name. Top google result under "obama right wing artist"

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Ahahaha wowwww those are some incredible artz right there.

I have no idea how those Trump paintings manage to so clearly scream "daddy issues".
There's gotta be some sort of specific sets of visual cues that I can't quite put a finger on in there, but he looks like a stern, disappointed father figure in every one.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It's like a mix of Jacques Louis David and Normal Rockwell, but without the awareness of what either of them stood for, with a dash of cut-rate Gilbert Stuart thrown in for fun.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I wonder if he cries when painting. Not like ugly-crying, but when he's putting the finishing touches on Trump's lips, he'll let a patriotic tear escape his eye as he thinks about what a service he's doing to Americans, now that they can see what he sees in The President, The Holy Father of Us All On This Earth.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

how could u forget thomas "the painter of light" kinkaid

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Al! posted:

how could u forget thomas "the painter of light" kinkaid

jfc of course, how could I be so stupid

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sharpest Crayon posted:

oh man a lot of "apolitical" art groups on facebook are loving chock full of them believe me lmao. its impossible to talk about art like adults (subjects like cultural appropriation, gender/feminism in art, movements like surrealism or dada) without getting called a soyboy feminazi cuck unless you specifically weed those people out on facebook.

Kanine fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 22, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Mirage posted:

Oh hey nice to meet me.

I decided a while back that I can't call myself a writer if I don't actually, like, write. I'm close to two straight years now of writing something new every single day, even if only a few paragraphs. Sadly, though, I feel like my wellspring of creation runs dry if I maintain the same narrative for a long time. Right now I'm simul-writing two novel series plus various short stories and novellas. I'm forcing myself to finish one book because I'm so drat close, but it really does feel like a slog.

Another unfortunate side effect of my "new writing all the time" policy is that I'm kinda loath to revise a couple books I've already written. I realize this is beyond stupid if I ever intend to make any money off this labor. Still, though, being stupid has never been much of a deterrent before so why start worrying about it now. :v:

If I spend too much time writing lovely first drafts (and they're all poo poo) I get depressed with myself for being a lovely writer. I remedy that by switching to editing and ripping my poo poo apart until it no longer brings me shame. Which is another reason it's taken so long to write all these damned novels. Not only are they incomplete, the parts are all in different draft stages.

this broken hill posted:

i'm aware this post makes me sound dangerously unbalanced and that's ok

I't ok, we're all unbalanced here. Writers are made by being knocked in the head

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

This is glorious. I'm not entirely sure I can grasp the sutble symbolism, though.

He's trying to say something here, and I can't quite grasp it...

e: Also I just noticed the trodden-on snake under trump's foot, that is a surprise. Or maybe it's his tail. Or, going by facial expression, he's crapped himself again and it's run out his trouser leg.

lofi fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 22, 2018

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

This one has some stuff going on that I can't figure out. Why are JFK and LBJ on the "dude wtf?" side (or is that just the apathetic middle), but TR is for trampling on the Constitution? Is there a strain of crazy right wing that says TR is bad? I guess he did bust the trusts...

It's a pretty fascinating compositional puzzle, though

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well LUCKY YOU ASKED:

quote:

Against the background of a darkening sky, all of the past Presidents of the United States gather before the White House, as if to commemorate some great event. In the left hand corner of the painting sits a man. That man, with his head bowed appears distraught and hopeless as he contemplates his future. Some of the past Presidents try to console him while looking in the direction of the modern Presidents as if to say, "What have you done?" Many of these modern Presidents, seemingly oblivious to anything other than themselves, appear to be congratulating each other on their great accomplishments. In front of the man, paper trash is blowing in the wind. Crumpled dollar bills, legislative documents, and, like a whisper—the U.S. Constitution beneath the foot of Barack Obama.

McNaughton Responses to Criticisms of The Forgotten Man

I would like to take a minute to explain some of the points of confusion for those who wish to interpret my picture.Why did I paint this? Like many Americans I feel shock at the direction our country is heading. There is a great polarizing effect taking place in America today. There are many who swoon over Obama's policies of redistribution of wealth. What will the government give me? If you believe this is the proper role of government you will certainly see great CHANGE in your lifetime. I wanted to paint a picture that portrays the plight of the common man. Perhaps the FM is already experiencing this now or will in the future. My hope is that he will "wake up!" now before it is too late.

* There is no racial meaning or undertone that the FM is not black. This is not a racial painting; it is about the vanishing of the American dream.

* It is not a partisan painting. I take no favoritism of Republicans or Democrats. Both parties are guilty.

* The only solution I offer is to take a 180 degree turn and return to the principles of the Constitution, which define a limited government, protect individual and states' rights and make no allowance for any of the baggage we have accumulated over the years in the form of entitlement programs. The only way to cure the cancer is to root it out and endure the painful healing. Perhaps, with God's help, we will survive.

* Is it disrespectful to have in my painting the President of the United States standing on the Constitution? Is the President without reproach? I am simply one American speaking to another American. The painting symbolically suggests the actions of Barack Obama as well as other presidents. Yes, their actions speak louder than words as do the brushstrokes in my painting.

* I have endeavored to keep this information simple and to the point. The information is historical, if it is not familiar to you Google it.

* I picked the trashed papers based on the issues that I believe have been the most damaging to America. These issues have been trampled by politicians of both parties for over a century. When will the American people decide to defend the Forgotten Man? Let us raise our voices together and demand the kind of CHANGE that will truly save our way of life.

* Why did I not mention critical information about some Presidents which defined their presidencies? My only purpose is to identify each President and with simplicity express what they have done to either help or hinder the Forgotten Man. I invite all to search deeper into the history of the painting's message and discover if what I paint is true. Can you truly say our house is in order when our debt is stealing away the future of every man woman and child in America?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I died.

I am dead.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Counterpoint:

https://theoutline.com/post/1433/who-watches-the-men-hillarys-escape?zd=1&zi=sqtl7ypd

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

lofi posted:

This is glorious. I'm not entirely sure I can grasp the sutble symbolism, though.

He's trying to say something here, and I can't quite grasp it...

e: Also I just noticed the trodden-on snake under trump's foot, that is a surprise. Or maybe it's his tail. Or, going by facial expression, he's crapped himself again and it's run out his trouser leg.

Real interpretation:

Top painting: All the old white founding fathers are shocked at a black president. They cry, "But what about the white man? What about the sad white men? We white men wrote the constitution just for him!"

Bottom painting: "Rejoice for you have a white president again. I will give everything to the white men. To the sad white men. And I will also destroy all nature that we cannot enslave."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

nixon just lurkin in the back like a creepo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I take the snake in the second to be a reference to the crushing of the serpent's head in Genesis 3--Trump is fulfillment of a messianic prophecy for that kook. Apparently Trump is better than Jesus because his heel is not bruised.