Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout

alnilam posted:

One area caught three whole feet!

I hope they turned them in to the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Jaded Burnout posted:

I hope they turned them in to the police.

I saw a lot of police and firefighters there in a pic in the newspaper so i think they did

Jaded Burnout

alnilam posted:

I saw a lot of police and firefighters there in a pic in the newspaper so i think they did

Phew, I guess the feet were on fire also

BoldFrankensteinMir

... what about a game where you're a little rain cloud, and you only have so much water, and there are like flowers and rain-barrels to drop it on if you're feeling nice, or picnics and old men if you're not.

The first boss would be a freshly washed car.

alnilam

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

... what about a game where you're a little rain cloud, and you only have so much water, and there are like flowers and rain-barrels to drop it on if you're feeling nice, or picnics and old men if you're not.

lol

alnilam

it's a side scroller that's constantly moving and you're constantly raining but you can move back to hover over something for longer or move forward to drop minimal rain on something, and choose to maximize your :twisted: score or your :shobon: score

City of Glompton

i like that game idea a lot

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!
Trees and lakes could be recharge stations for your humid nethers.

alnilam

:yayclod:

BoldFrankensteinMir

As the levels progress we could introduce factors like temperature and barometric pressure. It's basically Rayman Run but teaches you meteorology.

Jaded Burnout

Like in Street Fighter.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Trees and lakes could be recharge stations for your humid nethers.

You leave my humid nethers alone.

Jaded Burnout

One thing I must say is that many aspects of geology and climate, like a hill, would force a cloud to rain, which maybe is a bit of a harsh experience what with the loss of control and all that.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Should... should BYOB field a team specifically?
I was actually kind of hoping someone would suggest this lol

Maybe I will make a thread in byob when the contest starts DEMANDING people throw art, music, and haxeflixel code at me, and I will take it upon myself to mash it all into a finished game. (with other people's help and suggestions of course)

Maybe we could keep the nascent game's code and stuff in a password-accessible dropbox folder so even the yobbers too dumb to figure out source control can participate (i am one of those yobbers)

It would not have to be haxeflixel but that's the environment I have experience with

Robot Made of Meat

I've done some voice work.

I know nothing of games, but I could speak words into a microphone.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

MockingQuantum

blaise rascal posted:

Maybe I will make a thread in byob when the contest starts DEMANDING people throw art, music, and haxeflixel code at me, and I will take it upon myself to mash it all into a finished game. (with other people's help and suggestions of course)

Maybe we could keep the nascent game's code and stuff in a password-accessible dropbox folder so even the yobbers too dumb to figure out source control can participate (i am one of those yobbers)

It would not have to be haxeflixel but that's the environment I have experience with

just be aware that JonTerp & the other organizers do stick pretty hard to the "max 3 on a team (unless you're just doing sound files)" rule. The first time they did that, I was doing sound design and actually integrating the audio into our game, and for the purposes of that rule, I was definitely considered a full team member. I'm not sure what they'd do if you had, like, four people on a team, but I would not be surprised if they disqualified a game from winning anything because of it.

thank you luvcow for the sig

BoldFrankensteinMir

Jaded Burnout posted:

One thing I must say is that many aspects of geology and climate, like a hill, would force a cloud to rain, which maybe is a bit of a harsh experience what with the loss of control and all that.

Hence later-level challenges. It could start cartoonishly simple and by the end be a decent little hydrophysics sim. A well-ramped challenge level is choice gaming in my book!

blaise rascal posted:

Yeah do that. I have no idea what like eighty percent of it means but if you need pixel sprites of clouds peeing and umbrella salesmen holding up bags of money and such let me know.

blaise rascal

MockingQuantum posted:

just be aware that JonTerp & the other organizers do stick pretty hard to the "max 3 on a team (unless you're just doing sound files)" rule. The first time they did that, I was doing sound design and actually integrating the audio into our game, and for the purposes of that rule, I was definitely considered a full team member. I'm not sure what they'd do if you had, like, four people on a team, but I would not be surprised if they disqualified a game from winning anything because of it.
Oh yeah we would be clear that we weren't REALLY participating in the actual contest, just doing the same stuff at the same time as everyone else

By the way, which year did they have a 16-person group? I might read a little of that thread and see what worked & what didn't

MockingQuantum

blaise rascal posted:

Oh yeah we would be clear that we weren't REALLY participating in the actual contest, just doing the same stuff at the same time as everyone else

By the way, which year did they have a 16-person group? I might read a little of that thread and see what worked & what didn't

hmm... it had to be 2015 or earlier, I think, but I honestly couldn't be sure. And 16 was hyperbole, but I know one year blastron had a team that was at least 6-8 people, and even that is... oof. It would have been one of the string of Punch Fight games.

fake edit: found it, it's this one: http://www.awfuljams.com/sagdc-x/games/missing-teeth but I'm phonepostin so I can't easily track down the thread for that year

thank you luvcow for the sig

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah, we could be an out-of-competition entry, that takes a lot of pressure off.

Robot Made of Meat

Yeah, we could be an out-of-competition entry, that takes a lot of pressure off.

It's also the BYOB way.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Robot Made of Meat posted:

It's also the BYOB way.

I'm willing to write code or draw poo poo because sprites but like can I just get really stoned with Rushing and draw cute cats doing tiny cute things and that's our game?

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I made a grid that animates in 3D space and I can't stop looking at it. Please send help.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I made a grid that animates in 3D space and I can't stop looking at it. Please send help.

my dude have you tried looking at it while :rznv: and :sludgepal:

Papa Was A Video Toaster

hamjobs posted:

my dude have you tried looking at it while :rznv: and :sludgepal:

All I do is :rznv:. I don't :sludgepal:.

blaise rascal

roomforthetuna posted:

Here is a thing I programmed in less than two days (aside from some iterative menu tinkering later) and graphicked in two weeks. That's from scratch with no libraries or anything.

I normally wouldn't volunteer to work on someone else's ideas because I have a gigantic surplus of ideas, but I'm so impressed by the power of chill here that I'd be on board for contributing to a chill game. Maybe the power of not being a jerk even when you're actually a jerk like me could somehow be spread beyond the bounds of this forum.

I am strongly opposed to doing anything in 3D though.
That's a very impressive thing to have made in such a short amount of time! Does the facebook multiplayer really work?

hamjobs posted:

I'm willing to write code or draw poo poo because sprites but like can I just get really stoned with Rushing and draw cute cats doing tiny cute things and that's our game?
Nothing would make me happier than if you did this, or did the other thing, or did both, or did whatever

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

BoldFrankensteinMir

I feel like a BYOB special entry into the summer game jam could be amazingly awesome, and we have a couple ideas already but that's no reason to stop brainstorming. If there isn't a thread by the time I get home I'll make one.

Immediate association- when I think BYOB game I envision the original Toejam and Earl but with hammock cat and the Get Out frog. Unfortunately reskins are against the contest rules (actually that's a good thing) but that's the tone I envision instinctively.

Bluedeanie

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I feel like a BYOB special entry into the summer game jam could be amazingly awesome, and we have a couple ideas already but that's no reason to stop brainstorming. If there isn't a thread by the time I get home I'll make one.

Immediate association- when I think BYOB game I envision the original Toejam and Earl but with hammock cat and the Get Out frog. Unfortunately reskins are against the contest rules (actually that's a good thing) but that's the tone I envision instinctively.

Bluedeanie posted:

I can do voice sounds, if you need anyone with an awful idiot mouth to say dumbass words and poo poo I am your man

not ready

pet break! it’s time for cuteness.

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
i can make sprites too

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
alnilam

mister magpie posted:

i can make sprites too

soda water, lemon, lime, sugar, bada bing bada boom

BoldFrankensteinMir

alnilam posted:

soda water, lemon, lime, sugar, bada bing bada boom

Al, you're some kind of science... guy, right? Do you just touch computers for meaningful energy research that aids humanity or do you ever make pointless time and resource wasting entertainment products too?

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
al the science guy

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Jaded Burnout

not ready posted:

pet break! it’s time for cuteness.

Good r@s. Just a few months old?

not ready

Jaded Burnout posted:

Good r@s. Just a few months old?

actually, they are elder rats at the ripe old age of 3. they have all developed tumors. I lost one a few weeks ago to a seizure. :/

BoldFrankensteinMir

not ready posted:

actually, they are elder rats at the ripe old age of 3. they have all developed tumors. I lost one a few weeks ago to a seizure. :/

Aww, been there. I used to keep hamsters that would make it to ridiculous ages like six or seven, and by that point they always had hairless bellies riddled with growths. It was a good lesson for a kid- that cancer is a ticking time bomb that sweeps all hopes of immortality away from every living thing.

Entropy gon' getcha, son. Gon' git us all.

Jaded Burnout

not ready posted:

Oh hey I'm sorry to hear that.

I assumed young because their faces are pointier than mine, like mine were when they were a little younger.

not ready

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh hey I'm sorry to hear that.

I assumed young because their faces are pointier than mine, like mine were when they were a little younger.

that’s what’s hard is that they still look and act pretty young. besides their tumors making things awkward, they are still kickin.

alnilam

Al, you're some kind of science... guy, right? Do you just touch computers for meaningful energy research that aids humanity or do you ever make pointless time and resource wasting entertainment products too?

I mess around with audio sometimes for fun, I'm decent at coding but more from a sciencey place not sure if I'd be much use for gameZ, but I'd love to help if i can!

not ready

Aww, been there. I used to keep hamsters that would make it to ridiculous ages like six or seven, and by that point they always had hairless bellies riddled with growths. It was a good lesson for a kid- that cancer is a ticking time bomb that sweeps all hopes of immortality away from every living thing.

Entropy gon' getcha, son. Gon' git us all.

I had no idea hamsters lived that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!
I love this idea so much. Even if I just end up watching - so cooool!