Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

AirRaid posted:

Right.

Which makes this

extra :jerkbag:

mastershakeman is an autistic manchild so it's not surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Chances get upped in Sun and Moon when you chain SOS calls. Something like the game does 3 extra rolls when you get to 70-255 chain SOS calls and someone's math was like you get around 10% chance for a shiny around the 160th call or whatever.

I've gotten like 3 shinies doing chain SOS calls even though they were mostly hunting for Pokemon with the desired hidden ability. Then one day I ran into a shiny Golbat when I went into the abandoned supermarket trying to get Mimikyu.

Also my coworker got a shiny Kyogre yesterday on her birthday so all is right with the world.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

With the main games it's very easy to set up to get a shiny, the main thing is just endlessly resetting/hatching until you get it. With Go, all you can do is hope one appears when you click it. Sure, the chance will continue to grow the more shiny Pokemon they add, but the main problem with this game is having certain Pokemon just being super rare, so you'll never be able to click on them to roll the shiny chance. Unless they do another event that includes it, I know I'm never going to see another Larvitar, so the chance of one being shiny for me is... zero, since I'll never find one to roll that chance. This includes a whole host of other Pokemon and even for ones that are kinda common, like Magikarp, it's still a low chance anyway and it does get annoying encountering fifty of a Pokemon and getting nothing.

Also you can hack them in the main games to skip all the tedious bullshit RNG, whereas Niantic tries to quash as much of that as possible.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
A bloo bloo bloo the game doesn't give me exactly what I want

If shinies were ubiquitous then you wouldn't give a poo poo about getting them in the first place.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Willsun posted:

Chances get upped in Sun and Moon when you chain SOS calls. Something like the game does 3 extra rolls when you get to 70-255 chain SOS calls and someone's math was like you get around 10% chance for a shiny around the 160th call or whatever.

I've gotten like 3 shinies doing chain SOS calls even though they were mostly hunting for Pokemon with the desired hidden ability. Then one day I ran into a shiny Golbat when I went into the abandoned supermarket trying to get Mimikyu.

Also my coworker got a shiny Kyogre yesterday on her birthday so all is right with the world.

In Ultra Sun / Moon they added the wormhole that has a high chance of shinies too, right? I haven't gotten to that point in the game.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I have my unopened USUM game from November that I still haven't played. :smith:

So far trading sounds uninteresting because I'm not that crazy about dex completion and I'm fine about not having a Mr. Mime or Relicanth. I know their IV reroll and stardust cost is a deterrent for people trying to stack perfect mons and preventing irl money exchange, but the price is so steep like...what's the point? Say some rural player who can't raid much wants a legendary. They're still screwed when the game asks for one million stardust for a single trade. That's like 3 months' worth of modest playing to get that stardust. They would be better off taking a road trip 60 miles out and finding a raid group in a big city.

It kinda kills honest to goodness altruistic trading like you're trying to help a young or inexperienced player who's frustrated they have weak things to battle with and you wanna give them something good.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Willsun posted:

altruistic

sir this is a video games forum

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I think that 1 million stardust cost is only for accounts you haven't interacted with before, as a deterrent for ebay selling I suppose. If people are on your friends list for some time it gets cheaper, so if you know some players in a city where they do raid, you're set.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Entropist posted:

I think that 1 million stardust cost is only for accounts you haven't interacted with before, as a deterrent for ebay selling I suppose. If people are on your friends list for some time it gets cheaper, so if you know some players in a city where they do raid, you're set.

Right, supposedly if you're super best friends with somebody the cost drops to 40k. It's a great deterrent to prevent hackers from funneling legendaries from their throw away accounts.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

July’s community day is the widely expected Squirtle day, on July 8th. https://pokemongolive.com/events/community-day/

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
No sunglasses? For shame! Now I'll never have my squirtle squad...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Entropist posted:

The PoGO crew hates fun. The only way they'll give you silly stuff on Pokémon is to shove it on Pikachu. Despite the fact that a lot of people asked for an option to enable the 8-Bit Sprites from April Fools after the "event" ended, it was denied.

So we'll never get Sunglasses Squirtle.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Entropist posted:

Seriously, sunglasses squirtle > shiny squirtle any day.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth here, but why the hell are we getting a Squirtle community event day after we've had at least 2 weeks of tons and tons of water pokemon? I went from only having the Squirtles I've hatched to being able to evolve two Blastoises after seeing a shitton of them in the wild.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth here, but why the hell are we getting a Squirtle community event day after we've had at least 2 weeks of tons and tons of water pokemon? I went from only having the Squirtles I've hatched to being able to evolve two Blastoises after seeing a shitton of them in the wild.

There's an order to their community days. A starter every other month in dex order.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

sir this is a video games forum

I just want to dump all the Suicune I have to kids who never got to raid them free of charge.

Also drat, the one time I wish community day was on a Saturday because I don't mind missing out on the Squirtle day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Boo. Glasses, not shiny!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
So the app updated but I don't see Friends or Trading is that not active yet?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

seiferguy posted:

In Ultra Sun / Moon they added the wormhole that has a high chance of shinies too, right? I haven't gotten to that point in the game.

You could have fooled me, I still haven't encountered a single one in those!

I think you have to catch all the legendaries in said wormholes before they start appearing

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Pez posted:

So the app updated but I don't see Friends or Trading is that not active yet?

I just loaded it up to check, and it looks like we've just got a new loading screen, and they changed how the news tab works. I think I heard somewhere that we won't get the friends thing until next week.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Soysaucebeast posted:

I just loaded it up to check, and it looks like we've just got a new loading screen, and they changed how the news tab works. I think I heard somewhere that we won't get the friends thing until next week.

The initial announcement said they’d start rolling the friends functionality out ‘later in the week’ so it should be more immediate than that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New splash screen has Good Hair Dugtrio.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I'm glad they added the word "CAUGHT" next the Pokeball symbol and "HATCHED" next to the egg symbol, you know, just to clarify.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
It's just standardizing for when you have "traded", potentially next to a pokeballs or egg, or some other symbol.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Parrotine posted:

You could have fooled me, I still haven't encountered a single one in those!

I think you have to catch all the legendaries in said wormholes before they start appearing

A wormhole with 2 halos has something like a 1/8 chance of being shiny. Also, the mon will ALWAYS be shiny (or not), so you can soft reset it for nature etc.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Got an EX pass! :woop:

The local community worked to narrow down the handful of nearby gyms that are EX-eligible, and after a couple weeks of raiding at them, we just got the handouts an hour ago! :feelsgood:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Driving past an EX Raid Gym this morning on my way to work, I beat up a Wailmer because I had a quest for a Rare candy at 7 AM. Got a pass today for that gym next Thursday at 10 AM. :lol:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

kensei posted:

Driving past an EX Raid Gym this morning on my way to work, I beat up a Wailmer because I had a quest for a Rare candy at 7 AM. Got a pass today for that gym next Thursday at 10 AM. :lol:

I got one a few weeks ago from a swablu raid I did on my alt (during whatever event where raids gave double xp or whatever). After I finished I did it on my main because I was like "man if I get a pass on my alt not my main I'm gonna be pissed." sure enough got them for both accounts.

Unfortunately now I'm one of those loving weirdos walking around with two devices(free hotspotting with T-mobile + boyfriend had a spare s5 laying around)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
yeah but think of the sick clipboards

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
My first ever Ex pass! 4.30pm to 5.15pm on a Wednesday, and near my work

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

NZAmoeba posted:

My first ever Ex pass! 4.30pm to 5.15pm on a Wednesday, and near my work

Good luck and congratulations

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

"A 71-year-old man and his large adult son were arrested for allegedly assaulting another player they claimed had stolen their Gym and threw a Gatorade bottle at their car."

https://kotaku.com/father-and-grown-son-arrested-after-pokemon-go-fight-1826979483

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pomplamoose posted:

"A 71-year-old man and his large adult son were arrested for allegedly assaulting another player they claimed had stolen their Gym and threw a Gatorade bottle at their car."

https://kotaku.com/father-and-grown-son-arrested-after-pokemon-go-fight-1826979483

This game is still alive and well.

systemchronos
Apr 11, 2015

Pomplamoose posted:

Huh, the one I read from my nintendo said the victim is the one accused them for stealing his gym.

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/06/...pokemon-go-gym/

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

That reminds me, I need to check and see when the trial begins for that neighborhood security guard who shot an elderly Pokémon Go player to death as he was leaving the property. :smith:

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Ballz posted:

That reminds me, I need to check and see when the trial begins for that neighborhood security guard who shot an elderly Pokémon Go player to death as he was leaving the property. :smith:

September 26th, charge was upped to first degree murder (also use of firearm for felony).

Background for those of you new to this wonderful story, victim was trespassing in his van when the guard showed up, tried to leave, was ordered to stop, and got shot five times. Guard claims it was self defense, but there’s evidence against that, and also his first lawyer quit because he couldn’t trust the guy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pomplamoose posted:

And this is why I don't take over gyms that recently flipped! People are crazy territorial about this game.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Regice until July 19th. Woo?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Jothan posted:

Background for those of you new to this wonderful story, victim was trespassing in his van when the guard showed up, tried to leave, was ordered to stop, and got shot five times. Guard claims it was self defense, but there’s evidence against that, and also his first lawyer quit because he couldn’t trust the guy.

I hope this guy gets the book thrown at him. I do security for a living, and these gung-ho idiots absolutely infuriate me. Absolute worst type of person to be doing the job.

E: I missed this news bit. Any info on where it happened? I'm assuming the US somewhere since shooting was involved.

Back to PoGo: the only time I'll take down a gym as soon as it's been taken over, is if I see that the player was driving from gym to gym. It's gorgeous outside, get out and walk (or bike) y'all!

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Gyms fall, plus if the person just took it they're still right there (unless it was a drive by or some.other silly behavior lile driving from stop to stop). Why bitch instead of just taking it back?
Although on the topic of weird gym stuff, I swear I've seen people add more pokemon to a gym I'm attacking, but also been locked out of adding stuff to a gym even after the attack animation ends and it's been a bit since the pokemon left there have taken damage. Is there a weird fluke in the code?

• Locked thread