Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

MrBling posted:

is The Tournament worth a watch? It sounds pretty crazy.

It's not amazing but it's worth a watch and the lovely Kelly Hu is the lead so that's a plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MrBling posted:

is The Tournament worth a watch? It sounds pretty crazy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471041/

Cast doesn't look half bad either.

It's pretty fun if you like Battle Royale clones (and there's absolutely no shame in that).

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
If y'all haven't seen Jean Claude Van Johnson on Amazon yet get on it ASAP. Also gonna third or fourth Hard Target. It's so goofy I can't help but love it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Bloodsport also has a lot of diverse fighting styles, a hot blonde, a young Forest Whitaker, and a STAN BUSH song. Yeah, the "You've Got the Touch!" guy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, Bloodsport is the kind of "showcase of fighting styles" movie that could only exist in those pre-UFC days. There's a Latino Muay Thai dude, a sumo wrestler who bear hugs people to death, an African who acts like a monkey and trains by crushing coconuts. An, uh, Iranian karateka? And a biker. It's like the roster for a Street Fighter reboot.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
So we watched Timecop. It's pretty good but not great. It has weird time travel inconsistencies, which was expected. Nonetheless, it's very fun.

It's weird that they chose to make the Future the year 2004 when the Present year is 1994. They were very optimistic about technology.

There are interesting moments for a modern perspective: the villain talks about the President needing to be a person with so much money that decisions don't matter; America instituting a preventative time travel crime program so their enemies can't gain advantage in technology, especially in warfare; a politician says that they should ship all their problems to Mexico while the 10% enjoy their wealth...

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Plus the most legendary of the Van Damme splits.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

So we watched Timecop. It's pretty good but not great. It has weird time travel inconsistencies, which was expected. Nonetheless, it's very fun.

It's weird that they chose to make the Future the year 2004 when the Present year is 1994. They were very optimistic about technology.

There are interesting moments for a modern perspective: the villain talks about the President needing to be a person with so much money that decisions don't matter; America instituting a preventative time travel crime program so their enemies can't gain advantage in technology, especially in warfare; a politician says that they should ship all their problems to Mexico while the 10% enjoy their wealth...

Ron Silver is a lot of fun as the villain, but I always felt that the movie didn't really make the most of its premise. For being a time travel movie, it's actually very limited in scope, and I wish it was a little more gonzo about it.

I do appreciate its utterly insane method of time travel: human crash-test dummy track to go back, simple wristwatch device to return. Easy-peasy. No hundred-or-so questions about the mechanics of all of that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You're forgetting that when you time travel in the vehicle, you land wherever, but if you time travel with a beeper, you show up in a vehicle.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Back in the old days just having a 2 at the start of the year seemed exotic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Keeping the gap that small gives you freedom to add new technology or not depending on the needs of the scene and the budget. So like, if the year is supposed to be 2104 then you can't really get away with just having regular cars that currently exist in the scene. You have to do a lot more work on the production design and put a lot more thought into all aspects of it, and of course it all costs money.

Like in The Fifth Element, Besson set the movie multiple centuries into the future or something like that so even the costumes have to be unique and different or else you get people wondering why fashion hasn't evolved. And you can't just have your protagonist driving a regular taxi, it has to be this insane flying car 3d traffic system. I doubt Time Cop had the budget for that kind of stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Back in the old days just having a 2 at the start of the year seemed exotic.

This makes me feel so old because 1997 was the year for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
T2 Judgement Day was also in 1997.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well gently caress, just for fun:

1990: The Bronx has been quarantined and placed under martial law, adminstered by a private corporation. The daughter of the corporation's owner enters the Bronx and comes under the protection of a charismatic biker gang leader named Trash

2000: In a right-wing corporatist state, costumed psychopaths compete in a "death race" spectacle of automotive eliminationism across the rural United States. Several years later, the corporation will begin prosecuting genocide against the residents of the Bronx, forcing various gangs to unite in a resistance movement that ultimately succeeds in destroying the corporation via a campaign of kidnapping and assassination.

2019: In a post-nuclear New York populated with mutants and cyborgs, a police-state government pays a homeless mercenary to rescue the last fertile woman.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

1997: Also Predator 2 and Croneberg's Crimes of the Future.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 21, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

This makes me feel so old because 1997 was the year for me.

I think the MVP of this for me is Demolition Man, where the apocalyptic hellscape it opens with is set a mere three years after the year of its release.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So I actually like the movie The A-Team.

It's basically asking, "What if a team of soldiers existed who a) really were as heroic as all our rah-rah :911: ARE TROOPS :911: bullshit makes them out to be, b) unironically believed in America's stated ideals, and c) actually acted on them?"

Its answer is, "Every American institution tries to destroy them at once, in the time it takes to type out this sentence." Like 2/3 of the movie is them at war with the Department of Defense, CIA and Blackwater simultaneously

The entire movie runs on the fact of how overpoweringly naive you have to be to buy any of this poo poo. Which Hannibal totally is. He's the only guy in the room that really, truly wants to limit loss of life in Iraq, for instance, but has no idea that this is the case. He's completely sincere about the idea of American intervention saving lives, which makes him and his team an intolerable danger to what American intervention is actually for. Sincerity wanting to do good, taken to its logical conclusion, makes the entire American enterprise in Iraq poo poo its pants in this movie. The only guy who can thread the needle and get them out of the mess even temporarily is... the team's con man, because the whole scenario is bullshit. He sees it for what it is.

:eng101: The extended cut is actually worse than the theatrical cut. You get like one good Murdoch joke in return for a half hour of dull filler.

Fart City posted:

I think the MVP of this for me is Demolition Man, where the apocalyptic hellscape it opens with is set a mere three years after the year of its release.

Demolition Man is the MVP in general tho.

I mean not really, but it's tons of fun regardless.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's an extended cut of that movie? In theaters it was already like two hours and change. Anyway, I also really like that movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Carnahan and I have very different senses of humor, to say the least, but the A-Team has some really fun set pieces, like the parachuting tank scene.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

sean10mm posted:

So I actually like the movie The A-Team.

I really, really like it. I could rewatch it any time. You're right that it has a combo of cynical realism with the CIA, military command and military contractors being the villains and a dopey idealism when it comes to the True Mission. I mean, Baracus's character arc is learning to kill again, helped along by Hannibal quoting Gandhi. It's why I wish we'd actually gotten Joe Carnahan's Death Wish, I'm sure it would have at least been interesting.

It also has one of my favourite Patrick Wilson performances. He and Brian Bloom are having so much fun as the villains.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen it but I'm trying to imagine Liam Neeson's accent in it.

"Aye luv it when a plawn comes tagethair!"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen it but I'm trying to imagine Liam Neeson's accent in it.

"Aye luv it when a plawn comes tagethair!"

He fights the accent to... mixed results.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's an extended cut of that movie? In theaters it was already like two hours and change. Anyway, I also really like that movie.

The extended cut is the one they show on TV most of the time, it seems like. It adds a ton of Jessica Biel's "investigating" for no discernible reason, and I think 1 joke scene about Murdoch getting electroshock therapy. The blu-ray has both versions fortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3kHy9TCr-Q

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Fart City posted:

Back in 1985, Max Headroom was set 20 minutes into the future.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fart City posted:

Predator 2 is a good 1997 hellscape.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Predator 2 is a good 1997 hellscape.

Oh hell yeah, that opening urban war zone scene is just hilariously over the top.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

Oh hell yeah, that opening urban war zone scene is just hilariously over the top.

Not to mention the voodoo mob bosses wielding samurai swords. Or was it a cane sword?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite part of the opening is when the cops explode and Slivesteri belts out that awesome freaked out trumpet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20zrobVA-Mw

2:27

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I finally finished The Villainess, and it was pretty wild. There were some slower sections in the middle that dragged a bit, but there were three incredibly-staged kinetic action sequences that were well worth it. I highly recommend it to everyone here. It is available on Hulu and Hoopla (if you have that service through your public library system).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Villainess is good but it's similar to Atomic Blonde in that I think they made the main plot more complicated than it strictly needed to be.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Villainess is good but it's similar to Atomic Blonde in that I think they made the main plot more complicated than it strictly needed to be.

Definitely. But I love Point of No Return and the Nikita show (at least the first two seasons, which were all I made it through), so I liked this new riff on it.

I wanted to like Atomic Blonde so much more than I did! I think I went in expecting John Wick starring Charlize, and got more of a spy thriller.

EDIT: Has anyone seen Terminal, with Margot Robbie and Simon Pegg? I can't even tell from the trailer what kind of movie it's supposed to be: psychological thriller, neo-noir, Guy Ritchie-style crime-comedy-caper film? At least it hits Redbox on Tuesday.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I wanted to like Atomic Blonde so much more than I did! I think I went in expecting John Wick starring Charlize, and got more of a spy thriller.

I'd recommend giving it another shot. I went in with the same mindset you did, and I certainly enjoyed the movie but still left a bit disappointed that it didn't really scratch the same itch that John Wick does.

But the film is actually a really well written spy thriller, like you said, and on rewatch you notice even more how fantastic the visuals are. Then, you also get the added benefit of knowing the twist ending, and you can kinda reevaluate everything Theron does for the entire movie knowing that the mission we're meant to think she's on is complete bullshit. She's just going around Berlin tying up loose ends.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Coming back to Villainess and giving it a rewatch (okay, I mainly skimmed ahead to the action scenes), I still think it gets a lot of credit for just the sheer imaginativeness of it, the whole end climax fight is really well done and you watch this character get the gently caress knocked out of her and the way they transition to different areas is really fantastic, you really get a sense of her desperation and rage that's just incredible. Even if the CGI starts to fall apart with the bus chase, I think the acting sells it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Atomic Blonde is a lot more of a John Le Carre with fight scenes than an Ian Fleming, certainly.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Dang, Universal Soldier is kinda weak. It just feels sluggish, but Dolph was good, and I知 hype for the Hyams ones!

Basebf555 posted:

But the film is actually a really well written spy thriller, like you said, and on rewatch you notice even more how fantastic the visuals are.

Atomic Blonde痴 editing is really loving cool too, especially how it combines with the soundtrack. That cut to the club when Stigmata痴 double-bass drums kick in is 🔥🔥

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Kickboxer is really fun. Loved all the quick cuts to a confused eagle.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Did Dolph have good movies? I like him in The Punisher and Universal Soldier, and I知 wondering if there are any good ones besides Rocky I知 missing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Did Dolph have good movies? I like him in The Punisher and Universal Soldier, and I知 wondering if there are any good ones besides Rocky I知 missing.

Showdown In Little Tokyo is aight. Blackjack is a fun oddity, being a made-for-tv movie directed by John Woo where Lundgren has a crippling phobia of the color white.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
How do you people feel about the Tom Jane Punisher? I haven't watched it in a while but I remember liking his fight with super Shredder. Where all his carefully hidden weaponry fails as he's getting turned to burger and he has to improvise to get the upper hand. That was a cool scene.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

How do you people feel about the Tom Jane Punisher? I haven't watched it in a while but I remember liking his fight with super Shredder. Where all his carefully hidden weaponry fails as he's getting turned to burger and he has to improvise to get the upper hand. That was a cool scene.

I think it got unfairly dunked on by fanboys who didn't get the 100-minute X-rated bloodletting they were expecting (and like some other internet-savaged cape flicks, actually got a pretty faithful adaptation that they theoretically really wanted instead). The movie has a great macabre sense of humor, as in the aforementioned fight sequence, Frank bringing a knife to a gun fight, the blowtorch interrogation and Travolta's completely ridiculous final farewell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This is still the best thing about that movie.

quote:

Movie actor Thomas Jane was left full of dread after he accidentally stabbed his PUNISHER co-star, wrestler Kevin Nash, in a fight stunt.

The 35-year-old star insisted on performing all his own stunts, but forgot to replace his real blade for a prop one during one action scene.

Jane says, "This is the problem when you let your actors do their own stunts. I stabbed him, I punctured the skin a little bit.

"That look on my face of awe (in the film) is for real. He didn't move. But it's never a good day to stab your co-star when he's 6 feet 10 inches."

quote:

NASH: The first night that we just walked through the fight scene, and I walked through it with the stunt guy first a couple of times and then Thomas came, because Thomas was finishing up some shots. It was probably around 8:00, and I could tell he was beat, because I saw on the call sheet that he had like a 5:30am call time.
So he'd been there 14 hours already, but he wanted to go through it. One thing that's good is that I can remember a 20-minute match, let alone a 5-minute fight scene. As far as doing something physical like that, memory-wise, once you lay out what you want me to do, I don't need to go through it more than once. I think that was good, because we went through it, and then we went through it a second time, and then I just told the stunt coordinator that I had it and Thomas said he had it. I think Thomas realized that, "Okay, this guy's not going to be a stiff."
But then at the same time, I know that when they hired me for it they were just like, "Now, you know you can't hit him. Our insurance won't cover if you do damage to this guy;" It was like, "You realize, you big goof, if you hurt him we don't shoot"

IGNFF: And the irony in all this is that he stabbed you.

NASH: Yes! He actually stabbed me! Thank god he got me in the collarbone! He stabbed me right in the collarbone. If it had been up in the meat, who knows? He could have drilled that thing right in me pretty good. That would have been a nice one.

IGNFF: How exactly did that happen?

NASH: I guess one of the stunt coordinator guys didn't change the real butterfly with the retractable. And he went "shh shh shh shh" and he just looked at me. I'm not going to go, "Jesus!" because I don't want to kill the scene. And he goes, "I just stabbed him." I go, "It's not that bad." And he goes, "No, it's bad. You're bleeding." I said, "It's not that bad," and I looked in the mirror and there was a little blood because they'd squared the blade off anyway. So it was just a puncture wound. It was nothing. Poor Thomas was like, "Geez,, I just stabbed this guy."

And also Nash pointing out that stunt work is both harder an easier than wrestling. Easier because you only have to worry about a few camera angles, harder because you can't actually just punch the other guy to make it look good.