Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Had the greatest ref of all time last night:

- Opposing goalie comes out to play a puck behind their goal line. Blows dead for icing and the faceoff comes back to our zone
- Puck gets chipped up into my wife's chest off the faceoff and she says "ouch!" and then starts to move the puck out of our zone, ref blows the play dead to check if she's okay
- She gives him some poo poo for this and then a minute later she's getting called for tripping a guy that's four feet away from her

In the next game (as relayed to us afterwards by our friends from both teams):

- Players are told that two handing another player's stick is not slashing, it's only slashing if it's on the hands
- The rule in our league is if you get 3 penalties in one game you're done for the night. A guy gets 3 penalties and starts to leave and the ref follows him out demanding that he get in the box.
- One team is rushing for a 2 on 0, makes the pass, play is blown dead because the other team got a penalty behind the play

Now That's What I Call Reffing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

none of that sounds too bad i dunno

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
really? blowing a play dead because someone says "ouch" but is otherwise still playing is extremely stupid, as is stopping a 2 on 0 because the other team took a penalty behind the play. that's not how penalties work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No but it's beer league.. the refs are bottom tier just like the players are.

Maybe when we can land a slap shot on net there will be some standing for bitching about the officials.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

prom candy posted:

- Opposing goalie comes out to play a puck behind their goal line. Blows dead for icing and the faceoff comes back to our zone

...but that's icing? Where was the puck dumped in from?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

really? blowing a play dead because someone says "ouch" but is otherwise still playing is extremely stupid, as is stopping a 2 on 0 because the other team took a penalty behind the play. that's not how penalties work.

yep, they're mistakes. did you calmly talk to the official at any point to ask them what's up with that? why'd you stop the 2-0, did you think it was going to escalate, etc? did the injury look worse than you thought?

if I never had to beg an official to stop a play because someone was knocked out / bleeding out / bent in a way they clearly cant normally bend i'd be better off, personally.

Bradf0rd posted:

guessing he wanted it waived because goalie went to play it, which is totally discretionary and frankly i'd appreciate a goalie accelerating play by sending the puck back down to the face-off vs waiting for the forward official to skate it all the way down.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Bradf0rd posted:

quote:

Icing is always waved off in the following situations:

The team committing the icing is shorthanded, i.e. penalty killing.
The linesman believes a player on the opposing team (other than the goaltender) could have played the puck before it crossed the goal line.
The puck enters the goal.
The puck is iced directly from a player participating in a face-off.
The goaltender leaves his goal crease and moves in the direction of the puck (except under USA Hockey rules).

We're in Canada and don't play under USA hockey rules, however I checked our rulebook and it says "Automatic icing may be called or waived off based upon the discretion of the on-ice officials." so I guess yeah he can call it icing if he wants to.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I got an email recruiting for refs this weekend. Paaaaasssssssss.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's a hard thankless job that doesn't pay nearly well enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think reffing could be a way to stay on skates if I get too old to really play the game, but yeah, it seems like a great way to take a lot of poo poo from people for no compensation.

Based on how nearly every ref at my rink has grey hair this is a common approach.

For now I'd probably try out being a goalie before I tried out being a ref.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

everyone should try it once but yeah after 2 seasons of competitive youth it definitely wasnt for me.

adults, maybe, but that's a lot of time to get it figured out.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
No games this weekend so I decided to do open hockey at a rink that's closer to where I live now. I've never been there but a neighbor who plays there told me that open hockey is "hit or miss" with whether or not it's filled with college kids home for the summer. I'm hoping that they'll all be out doing other things on a Saturday night but if not I look forward to being a pylon as 20 college players zip around me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I straight up saved a goal in a game that we ended up winning 3-2 and no one saw it.

Goalie made a save against one post, puck rebounds towards the weak side and an opponent jumps on it and wrists it straight on goal. I poke at the shot and the puck hits my blade, sending the puck over the glass.

Shooter was all "no fuckin way" and that was the only reaction I got. :smith:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

We need a :respek: with hockey gloves.

My son finished hockey 1 Sunday - if I could get him to stop being a peg leg with his right leg he'd be so much better. It's funny because he can swizzle like crazy with either leg (or both), but forget it just skating around. Right leg stiff, left leg push.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I worked with a kid all year who skated like that and it was because one of his feet was kind of splayed out. Once an orthopedist helped him out with some insoles he started improving rapidly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I used to drag my right leg when I was first learning to skate as a 5 year old but became a very good skater as I got older so yeah if your kid struggles there at first don't sweat it.

Skating lessons are great. I was fortunate enough to have my Dad get me in hockey camps and power skating sessions here and there growing up and those definitely helped make me better.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

a mysterious cloak posted:

We need a :respek: with hockey gloves.

My son finished hockey 1 Sunday - if I could get him to stop being a peg leg with his right leg he'd be so much better. It's funny because he can swizzle like crazy with either leg (or both), but forget it just skating around. Right leg stiff, left leg push.

My friend's nephew used to do this same thing, like he was riding a skateboard on the ice. His parent's signed him up for a power skating session. I think that combined with just getting a little older (I think he was around 7 or 8 when he started) it went away. Then he threw it all away and became a goaltender so there is always that option too. But power skating stuff at a young age couldn't hurt, always good to develop good habits in your stride. I know I wish I had them when I was younger, my stride is dogshit.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

It was weird because he started out using both legs okay, but he suddenly quit for some reason. The coaches at camp helped him as much as they could, but like you guys said, I think he just needs one on one.

I'm sure the coach will tell him the same stuff I am, but he'll actually listen to a real person instead of his dumb old man.

He had a great time at camp though. It was a mixed class of kids and adults, and he was one of only two kids that didn't drop out, so he was fist bumping with the big guys. It was really cool.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
My game yesterday was all about being late on one-timers and my shots going wide. It happened like 3 times. Then the 4th time, on a 2 on 1, I caught the pass, waited, and 5-holed the goalie. Not as cool as a one-timer, but much more effective.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
There was a bit of talk in the thread previously about activity trackers for hockey, so I thought I would chime in way late to say I have been using my Garmin 920XT and heart rate monitor while playing and it’s interesting to look at. For instance, on Monday night I know I was 1:53 into my shift, had a heart rate of 162bpm, and skating about 8.3 mph when I caught an edge transitioning to skating backwards and dashed the back of my head full force against the ice.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Garmin, not so much the concussion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does the Garmin actually track hockey or did you have to interpret that from the data it records?

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

xzzy posted:

Does the Garmin actually track hockey or did you have to interpret that from the data it records?

I “interpreted”. It was my last shift so not hard to find looking at the graph of speed over time, then overlaid the heart rate graph and transcribed the numbers immediately before a dead stop.

I am pretty tech illiterate, but there is a ton of user created add ons for these watches. If there isn’t already a good hockey activity it would be easy to have it create a “lap” every time you stop moving for more than 15 seconds or something. Then you could see graphs of each shift.

I just like to see the heart rate numbers so I haven’t bothered.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, that's what the apple watch tracker app does. Some dude started sorting out how to interpret the metrics the watch records as hockey data and it's pretty slick.

It's not perfect, sometimes the calorie counter goes off the deep end and credits me for 2-3 times a realistic value, but the shift time/distance skated seems pretty plausible. Like my Sunday morning game I was gassed the whole time and on reviewing the workout it said I did about a mile's worth of skating. Compared to my average game which is more like 0.6-0.8 miles it was easy to see why I was so roasted at the end, I was busting rear end.

There's no need for me to save this data but it is interesting to compare numbers to what a skate felt like.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I guess he's going to add historical data graphs eventually, so you can track your max speed, distance, hockey fitness ratio (whatever the hell that is) and stuff over time. That could be neat to see if your metrics are improving. Kind of like seeing your VO2max improve overtime with running.

It's funny, I've gotten like 5 people on my wife's team to use Hockey Tracker. I know when her games are over because I get 5 different workout completed notifications from their watches.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a magic ratio that takes your max speed and heart rate at that speed to estimate your overall fitness. The theoretical maximum value is 1275, to hit that you'd have to weigh 220 and skate at 35 mph with a HR of 120. It's anyone's guess what a realistic average might be, he needs to set up a leaderboard.

He also needs to get someone who knows how to design an app to help out because you have to visit the website to get the explanation. The app is hilariously bare bones.

But it works so I'm happy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah even though I paid $20 for the year, it's super rare that I actually go back and look at the data on the phone.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Subbed in a game last night that desperately needed players. The other team didn't have a weak link and seemed to steamroll us the entire game. The only reason it wasn't a blowout is because we had a great goalie subbing as well.

I did manage an assist from behind the goal line when I picked up a puck, backhanded it towards the net, put it off my wingers chest and into the goal. They can't all be pretty.

In the third period some dick cheese took a slapshot that hit me in my left hand (I broke my right hand three months ago due to a slapshot). It didn't really hurt at first but I yelled gently caress mostly because I didn't want to miss another 3 months of hockey. Luckily it hit me on the meaty part of the thumb/palm and doesn't feel broken.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Alex Goligoski and Nick Bjugstad joined the pro skate yesterday. For the first time I got to play against a current pro goalie (Zane McIntyre) and somehow went 2-2 against him (games up to 5). We played a final game that was supposed to be up to 3 which should have ended at 3-2 but suddenly it became win by two. I was ultra gassed and ended up losing but I'm going to count it since that rule came up after the fact.

Of course my gopro got bumped in the bag and ran for 2hrs before the skate so I have a whole 4 mins of the skate total.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

It's been hot here

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We haven't had it that bad this summer but the past month the locker rooms have been so swampy there's condensation on all the walls. It sucks leaning back and soaking your shirt.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ugh, I hate that. Haven't really seen it too bad this summer yet, though.

So I took your guys advice and got my kid some private lessons. He's had a huge change - his stride is pretty good, he's not hovering near the boards any more, peg leg is gone! Pretty proud of him.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I took 2 months off and I can barely skate between the blue lines without nearly passing out.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Vargatron posted:

I took 2 months off and I can barely skate between the blue lines without nearly passing out.

The trick is to learn how to keep skating after you've passed out. That's my trick, I think, anyway.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i finally got off the crutches and got cleared to swim (no kicking)

so i spent like an hour today doing laps with only my arms

that's a good hockey exercise, right

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it means you're a sled hockey player for now.

You gonna get pecs the size of mount everest.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well my current strat is doing ten minutes of 3v3 half ice and then muttering "loving kids" as I skate back to the bench for a breather.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bewbies posted:

i finally got off the crutches and got cleared to swim (no kicking)

so i spent like an hour today doing laps with only my arms

that's a good hockey exercise, right

Enjoy getting fat

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Enjoy getting fat

This but unironically and not specifically related to hockey

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So in my last game the steel in my right skate somehow cracked. My Bauer supremes are entry level enough that the blade holder has non replaceable steel. So if I want to get it fixed I’m probably going to have to have them put a new holder in the boot as well as steel.

I’m also assuming that if you do this for one skate you might as well do it on both (the steel on my other skate is getting pretty worn down as is). So what do you think goons, is it worth spending the money to do all this or just fork out for some new higher end skates?

I’m playing on two different teams so I can sort of justify the more expensive skates, they’ll definitely get the use. But the supremes other than the cracked steel have held up well and are pretty comfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Get new skates