Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just ban the worthless “this is my haul” noise posts and no sale thread will be needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I actually kinda like seeing what people buy tho

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Digirat posted:

Just ban the worthless “this is my haul” noise posts and no sale thread will be needed

I like those posts! It's fun!

What isn't fun is the glut of posts about how the sales aren't as good as they were back in the good old days, like, we know.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

I actually kinda like seeing what people buy tho

StrixNebulosa posted:

I like those posts! It's fun!
You both fall asleep to the sound of a playlist of Youtube unboxing videos.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There should be youtube boxing videos.

Looking to get some newer games that wont show up in the humble bundle monthly for awhile.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Kins posted:

Don't be rude, use a classy insult instead please.

Anyways, I like seeing people enthused and excited about what they're going to play/add to the backlog. It's nice, okay? :shobon:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Kins posted:

Psssh as if anyone could sleep while watching riveting #content

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

woah someone spent seventeen dollars in the sale, let me get back in my chair so I can fall out of it again

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
What people should do is bring up the lesser known titles that may have flown under the radar. The sale is a perfect time to unearth hidden gems.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't be rude, use a classy insult instead please.
You probably religiously lurked the NeoGAF haul thread. :colbert:

Blattdorf posted:

What people should do is bring up the lesser known titles that may have flown under the radar. The sale is a perfect time to unearth hidden gems.
This, on the other hand, is a great idea, if only because it'll give me a reason to post more about ESCHATOS, which will probably be pretty cheap and hasn't sold nearly enough copies for my liking.

I haven't written nearly enough reviews. I should probably change that.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

It should be required for all of the cowards who posted their Steam totals immediately before a major sale to amend them in two weeks

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I spent x bucks on the steam sale and refunded them all in the next hour.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Blattdorf posted:

Yeah, this is the primary benefit of the haul post as far as I'm concerned, since people mostly tend to not post about the smaller unknown titles they pick up, but they do show up in the haul. I've added things to my wishlist just from seeing them on other people's hauls, wondering what they are and looking them up on the store.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Holy poo poo, :justpost: you interminable bores.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Mordja posted:

Holy poo poo, :justpost: you interminable bores.

Well, they are, but you're calling them bores. :ohdear:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

The Kins posted:

This, on the other hand, is a great idea, if only because it'll give me a reason to post more about ESCHATOS, which will probably be pretty cheap and hasn't sold nearly enough copies for my liking.

Eschatos with Judgement Silversword is my favorite shmup on the platform. It's incredible.

Too bad poor visibility on steam pretty much killed the shmup offensive, the Cave deal with Degica seems to be dead.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

The Kins posted:

ESCHATOS is the perfect game for TATE mode, and it's also a pretty easy game to get into even if you're a complete newbie to shmups.

I'd also recommend Mirror Drop as one of those must-have puzzle games. The screens and videos don't do justice to how mesmerizing and mind-bending the whole thing is.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Too bad poor visibility on steam pretty much killed the shmup offensive, the Cave deal with Degica seems to be dead.
The Cave ports were also pretty buggy (it took probably a couple of months for me to even be able to RUN Mushi due to it crashing on startup) and pissed off hardcore shmup players by not perfectly replicating the arcade/360 slowdown (thus making scores incomparable and certain sections of the games easier or harder than intended).

Visibility obviously doesn't help of course, but when you're in an already-niche genre and you piss off the faithful it doesn't really help matters.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
If we're talking about curio-obscurios then I'd recommend this weird physics-based 2d rocket car speedrun thing (?): https://store.steampowered.com/app/346130/Rktcr/

The trailer explains it a bit better I think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTk7hT8FYuE

There's also a demo: http://tchow.com/games/rktcr/

It's a one-man project that should've been a cult classic. A really well produced, well polished and unique game with lots of content (including a story of some kind?). And it's hard as hell, think Stephen's Sausage Roll hard. It's the kind of a spergy single-player game you have to patiently learn before you really understand how it works. It flopped dramatically, of course, to the point that I've literally never seen mentioned anywhere.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My brother, who doesn’t play video games much, got super addicted to Lost Castle, which is a rogue lite beat-em-up with additional progression in the vein of something like Rogue Legacy.

If you’ve got friends or family to play local coop, this game is awesome. I highly recommend. https://store.steampowered.com/app/434650/Lost_Castle/

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Okay, well, this one is hardly obscure but if you're light on dude-shooting and missed this dude-shooter, you can pick it up and shoot maximum dudes. And aliens. Aliens can be dudes.

:awesomelon: FPSummer :awesomelon:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
4. Immortal Redneck
5. Rise of the Triad
6. BioShock Remastered
7. Crysis
8. Hard Reset Redux
9. Far Cry 2
10. Sanctum
11. Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
12. Crysis Warhead
13. BioShock 2 Remastered
14. Receiver
15. Blood and Bacon
16. Far Cry 3
17. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
18. BioShock Infinite
19. Prey
20. Call of Juarez Gunslinger

21. Crysis 2

In the grand scheme of first-person shooters, the original Crysis fell in kind of an odd place. Beyond its absurdly impressive graphics that have stood the test of time, it was a hybrid of open-world action and military shootouts, with a healthy dose of sci-fi powers and enemies. Crysis Warhead narrowed the scope of the open-world elements to make for more focused fights, and greatly benefited from that decision. I doubt I’ll ever know why exactly Crysis 2 all but abandoned the open-world side of the series, but honestly I’d say it was the right call. The increased focus on brutal firefights and linear encounters may have put it more in line with average military shooters, but the incredible quality of the action keeps this one a stand-out in the genre.

The extraterrestrial disaster that you battled in the first Crysis appears to have had far-reaching consequences, as New York City has fallen to a plague of unknown origins. In the midst of the chaos your squad of marines is sent in to extract an important scientist who may have the key to curing the disease, but the sudden appearance of alien invaders on top of the blight scuttles your team and your plans. You’re saved by Prophet, one of the nanosuited soldiers from the original game, though he’s not long for this world and entrusts his suit and his mission to you. With only that single lead to go on, you’ll have to battle through the ruined streets of NYC in a desperate struggle to turn the tables on both the invaders and the all-consuming plague.

You may recall Crysis being a rather bright, almost tropical experience outside of the pitched firefights and cave sequences. If you do, Crysis 2 is going to feel like the inverse of that. New York City is in some of the worst shape its ever been in, with the aliens punching giant holes in the island and skyline and the ravenous disease turning the residents into chunky beef stew. Not even The Division reached the same level of devastation as you’ll find here, a unique mix of biological squalor and raw destruction. The city streets are choked with smoldering rubble and overturned cars, while the service tunnels are caked in liquefied human remains and leaking biohazard bags.

The graphics are what really sell the setting, because Crysis 2 certainly lives up to the series pedigree. For a seven-year-old game it still rivals modern titles in detail and quality, featuring plenty of convincing particle effects, life-like locations, and striking character models. Your weapons are sculpted down to the tiniest screws and scratches, while your enemies bristle with body armor and alien attachments. The sheer spectacle of the game is practically enough to keep you pushing forward, and if it isn’t then the combat will definitely keep you glued to your seat.

I mentioned that Crysis 2 has evolved to be more of a standard military shooter than the game that spawned it was, but it’s one with unusually visceral combat. It probably goes hand-in-hand with the overall level of detail but your enemies stagger, bleed out, and crumple when pounded with bullets or blown up with explosives. Foes are hardier than you might be used to which means you really need to work Cell soldiers or aliens over to drop them, and the combination of thundering impact effects and intense particle effects really sells the feeling of destroying your target. Firefights can also span large areas with a dozen or more combatants, adding to the chaos particularly when enemy humans and aliens start taking shots at each other instead of you.

There are weak points in the design though, mainly stemming from beloved features being tweaked or removed. Your nanosuit is still an important tool but not the versatile game-changer it was in the first game. Skirting past encounters is simply not an option, especially since your speed power is essentially gone. Armor helps you weather hits when out of cover and stealth lets you get the drop on an enemy, but neither provides the flexibility that defined the first Crysis. As I said the combat more than makes up for this, but you’ll find other little gripes there. Your ammo reserves are bizarrely limited and the developers seemed to notice, because ammo caches can be found about every fifty meters. Your mission objectives are also never going to be more complex than “get to this point” or “break this thing”, and plot moments are almost always you mutely watching other people monologue or argue.

These are little more than ugly blemishes on an otherwise magnificent package, though. Crysis 2 remains a major step up from Crysis and Warhead in the ways that count, in the spectacle and the action. The ravaged husk of New York City is the perfect playground to gun down PMCs and aliens in a nano-fueled frenzy, while still leaving time to admire the scenery and grab the occasional collectible or two. The combat never gets old and the graphics never cease to impress, and for a shooter like this that’s all you really need for a good time. It’s missing some of the freedoms Crysis afforded but when the trade off is better shooting and more interesting levels, it’s hard to argue this isn’t the better game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can't decide between panty party or GAY Nation: a Gay Game for Gays [GAYS ONLY]. Steam really making you dig for the gems now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

PlushCow posted:

Thread splitting with major steam sales can be annoying but I appreciate seeing things like this wonderful goon-made vid in the OP of Summer Sale threads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiMYH9bHcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxcSNaVCPA

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUo1PgKksgw

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i lol'd at "star citizen"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I think the thing that surprised me the most about Crysis 2 when I played it was how essential the Stealth was. I went in thinking it was one of those games where you curbstomp your enemies with your power armor but you actually have to wear down the enemy forces as just jumping in will get you killed really quick.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In Crysis 1 a chill guard would die to one headshot, while an alerted one would tense up his brain muscles and survive a full pistol clip to the forehead. Crysis 1 was full of poo poo.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Crysis 2 was an amazing game. Ambush in cloaked mode, fight a bit in armored mode, and then run away to repeat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I loving hated Crysis 2. Your character felt weaker in just about every way, the AI was boring and predictable, and every single level followed the same structure of setpiece-->midsized combat arena-->setpiece.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Are you gonna do Crysis 3?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
haha saliens

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

And the steam sale gimmick is....a...game?

https://steamcommunity.com/saliengame/play/

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

If you liked Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger take a look at Cross Code. Pretty sure it’ll be on sale, it’s kind of flown under the radar

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUo1PgKksgw

Are you ready?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I definitely preferred Crysis 1 and Warhead to 2, for a couple of main reasons:

- The powers in Crysis 1 and Warhead were quite crazy, especially Speed, what a rush
- The big open-ish level made me enjoy just zipping around the level doing objectives as needed

Crysis 2 was definitely a much more focused single player experience, and I greatly enjoyed it, but I don't ever feel like going back to it to mess around, unlike 1 and Warhead. It's a one and done.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
The salien thing is actually a cool giveaway gimmick. Bots will ruin it, of course, but it's still a welcome attempt.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
In case anyone was curious the mystery box from the last event is cosmetics for the salien

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

i sure am excited for the biannual ritual of steam absolutely making GBS threads itself for an hour or three

the giveaway seems nice, though :ohdear: and one of the giveaway games is Hollow Knight!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey Steam sale. Hello thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Croccers posted:

Are you gonna do Crysis 3?

I sure am! It won't be part of this series but I've enjoyed all the Crysisesses enough that I want to see how that one fits in. Pretty sure I already have it on Origin, too.

Mordja posted:

I loving hated Crysis 2. Your character felt weaker in just about every way, the AI was boring and predictable, and every single level followed the same structure of setpiece-->midsized combat arena-->setpiece.

I totally get that, I just think the structure of 2 works better for me. You could definitely do crazier stuff in 1 but the way it's paced it felt to me like a lot of super-speed hikes and stealth sections with a few messy firefights in between. 2 doesn't let you do as much but I enjoy the fights themselves a lot more.