Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Sean McCorkle called me gay looking on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Calls em like he sees em :p

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Grandpa Simpson: Dear Mr. President. There are too many weight classes nowadays. Please eliminate three. I am -not- a crackpot.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Josh Barnett is negotiating his UFC release. Sad to see him go but eh it’s clearly over. I’m not sure where he would fit in the HW division at this point anyway.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/6/...-usada-mistrust

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Regarding buyrates, I've become very skeptical that anything other than the top 1-2 fights actually matters, and I think UFC feels the same way. Why put Cerrone in the 3rd or 4th fight of a card if it won't add more than a few thousand buys, when he can be a TV main event that fills an arena and draws a couple million viewers? Why try to load up a card to bolster a weak main event if that only increases the buyrate from 140k to 145k? Etc.

Fans who make the biggest shows blockbusters ignore the small shows entirely, and thus burnout isn't really a factor.

I do think that 8-10 PPVs a year would make a lot more sense, since the company just doesn't have enough people who draw 300k to warrant 12. Fewer PPVs, most with multiple title fights would make the company less vulnerable to having events sunk by single injuries.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I’ve basically stopped watching the full main cards now since I don’t recognize the names and there’s too many events

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

I think the top level is better than ever but there’s too many fights probably

I think the skill of the top level of fighters is better than ever but also that the ufc has a hard time compelling good fighters to fight frequently or in compelling matchups.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Feels like Dana letting Conor do whatever set a snowball going that hosed up basically everything.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Seems clear now the interim title fights are a tool to control the champs and force them into the matchup the ufc wants

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

I think the skill of the top level of fighters is better than ever but also that the ufc has a hard time compelling good fighters to fight frequently or in compelling matchups.

I agree and I think that’s a cause of the constant interim poo poo

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Skip My Posts posted:

Seems clear now the interim title fights are a tool to control the champs and force them into the matchup the ufc wants

Even that’s not really working - Conor just kind of comes and goes as he pleases, losing his belts doesn’t matter. Or the utter failure of having Khabib/Tony happen. Or GSP stealing Michael Bisping’s heat and then running down to 155.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Fartbox posted:

I want to love MMA as much as I did a few years ago but I just don't

It feels diluted somehow and I can't get excited about many of the champions anymore

Max is a laser-fisted God of violence. Stipe dresses in hayseed clothes with his belly hanging out, then dominates men who look like they were grown in super-soldier vats. Cormier is the ultimate dad who loves his family and wrestlefucks dudes to death while knockout bombs bounce off his incredible skull. Khabib wrestles bears. I'm not sure what more you need.

Edit: Conor's antics gave us "touch-bus in the parking lot." We're living in the golden age.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 21, 2018

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

david carmichael posted:

it used to happen so regularly, someone posted a while back that the new owners don't have the same relationship with the fighters that joe silva and the fertittas did and i think that's true.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i started watching mma just before machida fought rashad and they had no problem booking that fight even though machida looked like the best fighter in history when he was on the rise.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think also joe silva was very good at making interesting match ups based on styles, and not being like "stephen thompson knows all the karate kicks. He should main event cards" and so on

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

david carmichael posted:

I think also joe silva was very good at making interesting match ups based on styles, and not being like "stephen thompson knows all the karate kicks. He should main event cards" and so on

He was also good at being a petty rear end in a top hat and booking indie darlings to get squashed by a wrestler, like when he booked Antonio McKee to debut against Jacob Volkmann. Joe Silva really loved the sport and the cards always felt more fun when he was around.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Another big obstacle to booking fun fights is signing too many bout agreements too far in advance. You create situations where good fighters who want to fight a lot cant get someone +/- 4 spots from them in the rankings, because everyone is booked for fight night: guam 9 months from now

mewse
May 2, 2006

david carmichael posted:

They should use the Jon Fitch clause to expire wonderboy's contract

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

1st AD posted:

Even that’s not really working - Conor just kind of comes and goes as he pleases, losing his belts doesn’t matter. Or the utter failure of having Khabib/Tony happen. Or GSP stealing Michael Bisping’s heat and then running down to 155.

conor is gonna do whatever the gently caress he wants from now on so he doesnt even count lol

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Guys I need you're honest opinions should I go with this:

Or with the black and white

mewse
May 2, 2006

Matt Lindland posted:

Guys I need you're honest opinions should I go with this:

Or with the black and white

2nd one makes you look much more respectable Matt Lindland the Ogre

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
second one all the way

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
look at how hard he's trying to look human in that fuckin picture

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
This december, Andersons leg break will have happened 5 years ago.... Da fuuck.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Black and White for sure

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
I'll probably go with the black and white cause I feel bad for whoever got it for me, I only had it for like four days.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
BnW

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

1st AD posted:

It does work for most champions. If you are a PPV superstar then you dont need to care about the belt, youll get paid every time you fight. For everyone else, if they are not the champ, then its a big pay cut for them to lose the belt.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

My name is Nyaaarrg and I am excited to be running for your governor. You know, many of today's youth can too easily kick their way out of the crude wooden and clay ovens employed by the landstriders, but with my infrastructure policies...

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
even when Matt wasn't bald, it looks like he was bald

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Josh Barnett is negotiating his UFC release. Sad to see him go but eh it’s clearly over. I’m not sure where he would fit in the HW division at this point anyway.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/6/...-usada-mistrust

followup on this, he's been let go.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Feels like Dana letting Conor do whatever set a snowball going that hosed up basically everything.

Called it, BOOSH.

I think the many cards are fine as long as they have enough up and coming prospects to fill them, but it seems like attracting new talent (or building it up) is happening slower than it used to. I think the average quality fight is going up really quickly, but they're not telling people about it or getting people excited. I mean, when you've got a champion as awesome as Max Holloway and you're barely advertising a fight with someone as cool as Ortega...what the gently caress are you doing?

1st AD posted:

He was also good at being a petty rear end in a top hat and booking indie darlings to get squashed by a wrestler, like when he booked Antonio McKee to debut against Jacob Volkmann. Joe Silva really loved the sport and the cards always felt more fun when he was around.

His vindictiveness regarding Akiyama was something to behold.

david carmichael posted:

Joe Silva was a massive nerd and a really dedicated guy. The fact that he tracked Joanna down himself when she was on no one else's radar is a great example.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Silva was really, really good at his job.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
conor got bigger than the ufc and leveraged it. not a lot of other fighters are gonna have floyd mayweather on the other line

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's definitely quantity over quality in fights right now and nobody I know locally has talked about MMA in months and it bums me out because this poo poo is fun to talk about with friends - but with the cards they're putting on and the shows they're making GBS threads out there just isn't anything to get hyped about. I mean you reading this and I both know that there are great fights out there but to the casual fan nothing exciting has been happening at all. Hoping to get some folks together for Stipe vs DC at least.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I don't attribute my waning interest to any one thing. Joe Silva, the fertitas, all the fighters I used to think of as good are now gone or on their way out. The way we watch fights is different. The rules are changing. The scoring is changing. Herb Dean is now incompetent. The sport is now a real sport covered on normal people news sites.

It's a different sport. Still a good one though.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

In good news, apparently Greg Hardy still plays arena football and hosed up his knee

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/23866129/former-nfler-turned-mma-fighter-greg-hardy-injures-knee-arena-football-game

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Marching Powder posted:

The sport is now a real sport covered on normal people news sites.

I saw a well-written, unbiased MMA article on the BBC of all places the other day. poo poo has indeed changed.

woo apparently the forums are all sorts of loving broken but you can still edit old posts

truly we live in a golden age of shitposting

Memento fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 22, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Fight on TUF was good.

:agreed:

Brad probably lost rds 2 and 3 if he didn't sink that RNC so it's good he did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARAN1z2KqY&t=2m48s

Eminem referencing Anderson Silva's leg break, mma has truly become main stream.

• Locked thread