Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nobody outside of a grading suite could tell the difference between the HDR formats at a glance. Don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Dolby Vision is like DTS-Mastsr. There is an HDR-10 compatible core, and that's generally going to be good enough.

Dolby Vision isn't a competing standard, but more like a premium version.

Basically, HDR is good enough without it, but I guess it will be better with it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
To the many people who have said good things about VinSyn's Christmas Evil, thank you. This movie owns bones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I, Butthole posted:

To the many people who have said good things about VinSyn's Christmas Evil, thank you. This movie owns bones.

I’m convinced that whoever wrote it ran out of paper before they finished the last scene, shrugged, and turned it in.

It’s amazing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m convinced that whoever wrote it ran out of paper before they finished the last scene, shrugged, and turned it in.

It’s amazing.

It's one of the best endings of all-time, absolutely perfect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Welp, took the plunge and upgraded my t.v. in size and of course also 4k HDR. I love this time when I feel like my face is being melted by everything I watch, before my brain has adjusted to this new screen size/resolution. John Wick 2 was my first 4k UHD purchase, which I think was a great decision. I'm thinking of maybe grabbing Blade Runner next, traditionally I buy Blade Runner immediately in every format when I upgrade equipment.

I'm kinda happy though that 4k isn't quite as revolutionary as HD was, because I really don't feel like I all of the sudden have to replace my entire blu ray collection. Like, my Criterion blu rays are still going to look fantastic on this t.v. regardless and better versions of those films probably won't be available in the forseeable future.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Updated package art for the 2001: A Space Odyssey UHD:
https://www.wbshop.com/products/2001-a-space-odyssey-4k-uhd?AID=11248029&PID=5147715&ref=CJP

Looks like they're including the remaster/restoration on Blu-ray since the box art shows two Blu-ray discs in addition to the UHD. The existing edition has everything on one disc. The WBShop listing indicates all the previous edition extras are present, plus photo cards and a booklet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber is releasing Cabin Boy on Sept 18

• New Audio Commentary by star Chris Elliott and director Adam Resnick
• New Interview with star Chris Elliott and director Adam Resnick
• Limited Edition booklet essay by film critic Nick Pinkerton (Blu-ray only)
• Archival cast & crew interviews featuring Chris Elliott, Ritch Brinkley, James Gammon, Brian Doyle-Murray, Brion James, Melora Walters, Russ Tamblyn, production designer Steven Legler and writer/director Adam Resnick
• B-Roll Footage
• Edited outtakes
• Newly commissioned art by Jacob Phillips
• 5 TV spots
• Limited Edition O-Card (Blu-ray only)
• Reversible Art
• Theatrical Trailer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

• Archival cast & crew interviews featuring Chris Elliott, Ritch Brinkley, James Gammon, Brian Doyle-Murray, Brion James, Melora Walters, Russ Tamblyn, production designer Steven Legler and writer/director Adam Resnick
• B-Roll Footage
• Edited outtakes
• 5 TV spots
• Reversible Art
• Theatrical Trailer

Should I revisit Cabin Boy? I remember thinking it sucked when it first came out on VHS, but then again I was also 13 (for some reason I thought it was older than 1994)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Egbert Souse posted:

• B-Roll Footage
• Edited outtakes
• 5 TV spots
• Reversible Art
• Theatrical Trailer

See, this is the kind of poo poo I used to live for back in the DVD days. I'm having this.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Cabin Boy is the greatest and this is a miracle.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

Updated package art for the 2001: A Space Odyssey UHD:
https://www.wbshop.com/products/2001-a-space-odyssey-4k-uhd?AID=11248029&PID=5147715&ref=CJP

Looks like they're including the remaster/restoration on Blu-ray since the box art shows two Blu-ray discs in addition to the UHD. The existing edition has everything on one disc. The WBShop listing indicates all the previous edition extras are present, plus photo cards and a booklet.
Can't wait to buy this for the regular Blu-Ray!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

EL BROMANCE posted:

And let’s not forget about HLG!

With zero surprise, a new TV tech has been handled abysmally from the word go. My main TV is HDR10 only, all my gear is based around HDR10 and all UHD specs have to include an HDR10 track at minimum if they want to do HDR. So I’ve just decided to just not care about anything I don’t have.

I tried doing the same thing, to mixed results.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Can't wait to buy this for the regular Blu-Ray!

The Digital Bits posted that the new restoration is also being released on Blu-ray for $20 MSRP.

Also, TDB reports the UHD is from the 65mm camera negative, is both HDR and Dolby Vision, and will include both the original 6-track mix and a new remix in DTS-HD MA 5.1

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone else really miss the white poster look of the old Kubrick DVDs?

Still have my box set sitting around for the open matte movies.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Yea but I’m also loving that 4K

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Since we’re talking 4k, are there are good resources for proper calibration? I just switch my tv to Film mode and I can’t tell if I’m just not used to how 4K HDR looks or if my brightness and color are out of wack.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

On LG, I just leave it on standard and warm the temp a bit past neutral. Cinema's too funky.

edit: All processing turned off 'course. Sharpness 10 is native, I think.
I turned local dimming off since bright things were lightening up the letterboxes around them. I couldn't stand that. Maybe it's just cause I bought the base LCD model.
I usually have to jack up the saturation for HDR video games. For some reason they tend to be muted.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 22, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

The Digital Bits posted that the new restoration is also being released on Blu-ray for $20 MSRP.

Also, TDB reports the UHD is from the 65mm camera negative, is both HDR and Dolby Vision, and will include both the original 6-track mix and a new remix in DTS-HD MA 5.1
Hell yeah :cool:

I don't have a UHD player yet, so that's my option.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
oh yeah baby

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Daniel Bryan posted:

oh yeah baby

I like how they didn't bother to remove the lovely filter over the poster

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Severin Films has the limited edition of Combat Shock available.

https://severin-films.com/shop/combat-shock-blu-ray-package/

However, good luck getting your order through, since they have one of the slowest websites I've encountered in a long time. I finally got mine in after periodically refreshing their website for the last two hours. Same issue I had back on Black Friday with their Jack the Ripper release.

COMBAT is a code to get 50% off of anything minus Combat Shock or any of their 2018 releases. And even though Screwballs and Loose Screws came out like two years ago, they consider the bundle a 2018 release, so the code doesn't work on that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is this Predator UHD blu that's coming out in August supposed to be legit? I know Predator has had a very troubled history when it comes to HD transfers.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Basebf555 posted:

Is this Predator UHD blu that's coming out in August supposed to be legit? I know Predator has had a very troubled history when it comes to HD transfers.

From what I heard, it’s using the same master as the 4K version of the film currently in iTunes. I’ve heard good things about that transfer too so it should be nice. I guess we’ll find out in a few months.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.realclearlife.com/movies/john-waters-female-trouble-pink-flamingos/

John Waters confirms Criterion is working on Polyester for next year and Warner is going to do Pink Flamingos themselves.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Every time I see you guys say UHD I think it says UMD

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.realclearlife.com/movies/john-waters-female-trouble-pink-flamingos/

John Waters confirms Criterion is working on Polyester for next year and Warner is going to do Pink Flamingos themselves.

Hell yeah! Been waiting for these two.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Unmature posted:

Every time I see you guys say UHD I think it says UMD

The video format that took the world by storm!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

The video format that took the world by storm!
When I was in high school, there was this one rich kid I knew that got a PSP like the day they came out and he got every UMD movie that was released for whatever reason. I think he honestly believed they were the future of physical media or some poo poo. Anyway, so there was this after school program for kids whose parents couldn't pick them up until later, and I was there with him a few times. He was always watching a UMD movie and bragging about it, no matter how lovely the movie was.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

When I was in high school, there was this one rich kid I knew that got a PSP like the day they came out and he got every UMD movie that was released for whatever reason. I think he honestly believed they were the future of physical media or some poo poo. Anyway, so there was this after school program for kids whose parents couldn't pick them up until later, and I was there with him a few times. He was always watching a UMD movie and bragging about it, no matter how lovely the movie was.

My brother had a PSP for a short time and I think it came with Spider-Man 2. It was a cool idea but in a world where you can stream video from 800 different devices that fit in your pocket it's kind of silly. The PSP itself was kind of a waste of money too because it was just a "meh" thing that didn't really have a very impressive game library. At least it wasn't the N-Gage.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

CPL593H posted:

My brother had a PSP for a short time and I think it came with Spider-Man 2. It was a cool idea but in a world where you can stream video from 800 different devices that fit in your pocket it's kind of silly. The PSP itself was kind of a waste of money too because it was just a "meh" thing that didn't really have a very impressive game library. At least it wasn't the N-Gage.

The only UMD I ever had was Spider-Man 2 and I watched it a ton after already watching it thousands of times on DVD.

I remember people saying "Who would want to watch a movie on a screen that size?" and now most phone screens are even smaller and we watch a ton of stuff on them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Unmature posted:

The only UMD I ever had was Spider-Man 2 and I watched it a ton after already watching it thousands of times on DVD.

I remember people saying "Who would want to watch a movie on a screen that size?" and now most phone screens are even smaller and we watch a ton of stuff on them.

Yeah I've always found the UMDs to be kind of interesting. It was an idea that was somehow ahead of it's time and a bit too late at the same time.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Yeah I've always found the UMDs to be kind of interesting. It was an idea that was somehow ahead of it's time and a bit too late at the same time.

Yeah if they weren't tied to a crappy slow little disk it would have probably survived a little better

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
UMD is one of those interesting evolutionary outliers of media. At least you didn't have to take out your battery to change what you were playing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CPL593H posted:

How dare you

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheScott2K posted:

How dare you
What good games did the PSP have? Lumines and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and what else?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

What good games did the PSP have? Lumines and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and what else?

XSEED's Ys games, the Persona remakes, every PS1 RPG, Kenka Bancho, Birth By Sleep, FF Tactics, Peace Walker, Patapon, Loco Roco, Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, Mega Man Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X, Jeanne D'Arc, Power Stone, Half Minute Hero, Trails In The Sky, Tactics Ogre, Monster Hunter, and if you're importing than hooo boy a lot more

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

i could play jumping flash on the go thats all that mattered

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The psp was way better than the DS and even 3DS if you aren’t a fan of Nintendo’s kid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Switch is the ultimate vindication of the PSP