Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

wormil posted:

Maybe the Devil will act like a devil again instead of whiny half of buddy cop.

Yeah, I’m just getting to the end of the series after having stopped watching for a while (just finished the bachelorette party), and I can’t get over the change in Lucifer’s character, who has become a parody of himself, completely dense, petulant and bumbling. Compare him in this episode to the one where he was shot by Decker in season one, and his strong sense of justice and fairness, with betrayal being a crime worthy of punishment. Now he doesn’t really seem to give a poo poo about anything, in the worst possible way. And don’t get me started on Maze. This show needs to take a hard look at itself in between seasons. Maybe Netflix will allow for a slightly more supernatural and intelligent series than Fox? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I hope if they show Azrael again they recast the actress. She just looked really odd for the part.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pesmerga posted:

Yeah, I’m just getting to the end of the series after having stopped watching for a while (just finished the bachelorette party), and I can’t get over the change in Lucifer’s character, who has become a parody of himself, completely dense, petulant and bumbling. Compare him in this episode to the one where he was shot by Decker in season one, and his strong sense of justice and fairness, with betrayal being a crime worthy of punishment. Now he doesn’t really seem to give a poo poo about anything, in the worst possible way. And don’t get me started on Maze. This show needs to take a hard look at itself in between seasons. Maybe Netflix will allow for a slightly more supernatural and intelligent series than Fox? :shrug:

I pretty much agree, Lucifer's character arc was getting progressively dumber, less useful in the actual procedural investigation and denser while also acting less like the literal devil. For a character whose entire point when he was presented is that he gets what humans really want he was acting at TBBT's Sheldon levels of social cluelessness at some points but without the intelligence needed to be a physicist and without the self-awareness that he's socially inept.

For example on your parody comment, it's impossible to parody his encounters with his psychologist because they all look a parody already. He enters in, says something selfish, she points out something that would lead to self-growth, and he bizarrely subverts it into a logical conclusion that supports his eccentricity, "well done Linda!" She looks confused at the camera with an "oops, I did it again look", cue laughs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eddain posted:

I hope if they show Azrael again they recast the actress. She just looked really odd for the part.

If they recast Azrael they should just use Julian Richings

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Nobody's posted this yet:

https://twitter.com/ScarMestevez/status/1007762890911125504

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

:kimchi:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That makes the entire thing worth it, even if the new season is terrible.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Is Tom Welling a dick? At least he’s almost certainly not the worst former cast member of Smallville though.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

Is Tom Welling a dick? At least he’s almost certainly not the worst former cast member of Smallville though.

Well Allison Mack was apparently second-in-command of a rape cult so it's pretty hard to top that.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

cirus posted:

Well Allison Mack was apparently second-in-command of a rape cult so it's pretty hard to top that.

Branding the sex slaves was her idea!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Tom Welling got a reputation as dick, but as far as I know a major part of it went "I'm not wearing the supersuit, look how Christopher Reeve got typecast".

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I vaguely recall reports that he was a major prima donna pain in the rear end on cheaper by the dozen too

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GuyUpNorth posted:

Tom Welling got a reputation as dick, but as far as I know a major part of it went "I'm not wearing the supersuit, look how Christopher Reeve got typecast".

I thought it was him being rude as poo poo to fans and cast members.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, he was stuck up for a while because of the show's being a hit and all, but he was also putting in 16 hour days playing Clark so I can kinda forgive him on being a but of a dick.

I think a very big part of it was he honestly didn't understand the fandom. He didn't do conventions by choice until recently, and he was looking at it as a job instead of "oh poo poo these people really like what I'm doing"

He was on Rosenbaum's podcast a few months back and they went into his never going to cons, etc.

Also, he was a former model before he got the Smallville job and I'm 90% sure thats what kicked off the attitude.

He has seemed to relax a bit over the years and become less of a pain in the rear end to work with, so I'm kinda hoping he's in the commentary for the dvds for this season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Showrunners have started talking and have confirmed the 10 episode order and that, for season 4 at least, we won't see things that would be too different than before. They say that the general idea is that this will be pretty much what they were originally planning on doing if it had continued on Fox.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

muscles like this! posted:

Showrunners have started talking and have confirmed the 10 episode order and that, for season 4 at least, we won't see things that would be too different than before. They say that the general idea is that this will be pretty much what they were originally planning on doing if it had continued on Fox.

They want to use the 4th season to tell a "gnarly" story that would cover the first half of what they had planned for Fox Season 4.
So, by episode 10, Chloe will accept that Lucifer is the Devil.

Maybe.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The save Lucifer campaign forgot to add "and make it good".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, they said it's gonna be a darker tone this new season, so here's hoping it's more like season 1.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, they said it's gonna be a darker tone this new season, so here's hoping it's more like season 1.

LordSatan, I hope so. That was good TV. Even season three was good up until we learned that Pierce was the Sinnerman.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I wonder if the show will be weekly or netflix style all at once.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Lord Bude posted:

I wonder if the show will be weekly or netflix style all at once.

Good question! I have read anything.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I can't believe someone considered this worth saving. 3 seasons was way more than enough.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

sassassin posted:

I can't believe someone considered this worth saving. 3 seasons was way more than enough.

It has potential! I'm not holding my breath, but I'm cautiously optimistic. At least this isn't like the writer's strike that killed so many good shows back in the day. It's like the golden age with sites like Netflix just wanting subscriptions and not really giving a flip about advertisers. They'll throw as much as they can on the screen if it has buzz and trending power.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sassassin posted:

Cool.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

sassassin posted:

Honestly I feel the same way. It can be good, but they really need to almost reboot. Someone needs to sit down and figure out what Chloe is, who she is, what she looks like, where they want her to go, and how Lucifer fits into her story. Because that character has been all over the place, her makeup changes, her personality changes, her wardrobe style changes. Turn Dan back into a man. Make Mazikeen fun again. Make Lucifer the punisher of sin again. Stop forgetting that Trixie exists, (when people have kids, those kids are a constant part of their lives). Recast Ella or get Aimee Garcia acting lessons. Make Amenadiel less whiny. Basically fix all the watered down or aimless characters.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

wormil posted:

Honestly I feel the same way. It can be good, but they really need to almost reboot. Someone needs to sit down and figure out what Chloe is, who she is, what she looks like, where they want her to go, and how Lucifer fits into her story. Because that character has been all over the place, her makeup changes, her personality changes, her wardrobe style changes. Turn Dan back into a man. Make Mazikeen fun again. Make Lucifer the punisher of sin again. Stop forgetting that Trixie exists, (when people have kids, those kids are a constant part of their lives). Recast Ella or get Aimee Garcia acting lessons. Make Amenadiel less whiny. Basically fix all the watered down or aimless characters.

Man, why watch the show at all if this is how you feel? I really enjoy the whole cast and their roles in the show. My only complaints are about how long they milk a premise, I would love it if they would pull the trigger on reveals and story arcs more quickly.

I suppose a lot of people were fans of the first season and the comics and just don't like where it's gone.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

wormil posted:

Can you clarify what you mean by, "Turn Dan back into a man"? Seems like a weird criticism.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ElCondemn posted:

Man, why watch the show at all if this is how you feel? I really enjoy the whole cast and their roles in the show. My only complaints are about how long they milk a premise, I would love it if they would pull the trigger on reveals and story arcs more quickly.

I suppose a lot of people were fans of the first season and the comics and just don't like where it's gone.

S1 was pretty good and they've had great standalone episodes. I originally wrote twice as much as I posted and in there was a blurb that I had deleted the timer but my oldest daughter wanted to watch it so I made a new timer and that sucked us back in as a family. But yeah, I hate where the show has gone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Can you clarify what you mean by, "Turn Dan back into a man"? Seems like a weird criticism.

It's not weird at all. I do not know nor have I met any grown man, especially not a police officer, that acts the way Dan acts. And don't ask me how Dan acts, if you watch the show, you know how he acts.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

wormil posted:

It's not weird at all. I do not know nor have I met any grown man, especially not a police officer, that acts the way Dan acts. And don't ask me how Dan acts, if you watch the show, you know how he acts.

It is a weird criticism, there are lots of men who act like him. You just have a problem with that behavior, luckily the show creators are a bit more enlightened about gender roles.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ElCondemn posted:

It is a weird criticism, there are lots of men who act like him. You just have a problem with that behavior, luckily the show creators are a bit more enlightened about gender roles.

No they're not, they are not at all. He's a watered down, wishy washy, angsty, passive, and over emotional TV image of a man in a position where A-type personalities are the norm.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Dan is a crooked detective and a divorced father and yet he's a frictionless presence who has no impact on the main cast, and his storylines could have been lifted from old One Tree Hill episodes with 'high school' and 'basketball' crossed out for 'police station' and 'improv'.

And not even good One Tree Hill storylines. Like the stuff the geeky announcer kid got 4 seasons in where they gave him a super hot girlfriend as a reward for being loyal to the production.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah, I have no idea what "make Dan a back into a man" criticism is supposed to mean.

E: was explained above, don't agree, but better explained now.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

wormil posted:

No they're not, they are not at all. He's a watered down, wishy washy, angsty, passive, and over emotional TV image of a man in a position where A-type personalities are the norm.

Not "man" qualities.

sassassin posted:

Dan is a crooked detective and a divorced father and yet he's a frictionless presence who has no impact on the main cast, and his storylines could have been lifted from old One Tree Hill episodes with 'high school' and 'basketball' crossed out for 'police station' and 'improv'.

And not even good One Tree Hill storylines. Like the stuff the geeky announcer kid got 4 seasons in where they gave him a super hot girlfriend as a reward for being loyal to the production.

Valid criticisms but this has nothing to do with being a "man".

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 21, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ElCondemn posted:

Not "man" qualities.

How about we turn this around. Instead of you risking nothing by simply criticizing whatever I post ... you tell me why the Dan character is a positive male role model and why the producers are gender role enlightened for creating him.

hangedman1984 posted:

Yeah, I have no idea what "make Dan a back into a man" criticism is supposed to mean.

My father taught me a number of positive traits like charity, resilience, assertiveness, compassion, respect, duty, taking care of family, etc.; that exemplify being a "man." I don't pretend to be all those things but it seems internet culture has twisted this idea because being a "man" is now apparently a bad thing because it somehow damages women when in reality it has nothing to do with women. So the guys on television are now a bunch of wishy washy man babies. So I don't think the problem is that you have no idea what it means but that you want, or have been taught, to believe that thinking in terms of gender is wrong. It isn't. Gender isn't a bad thing.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Dan isn't a good guy, he's a piece of poo poo and deserves to be emasculated. His role is the heel, someone for Lucifer to poo poo on. None of this has anything to do with being a man.

But really, wrong sub-forum to soapbox about gender politics...

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

:raise:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

wormil posted:

My father taught me a number of positive traits like charity, resilience, assertiveness, compassion, respect, duty, taking care of family, etc.;

Those are "being a decent person" and have nothing to do with gender.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

wormil posted:

lol

Edit: just, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

wormil posted:

How about we turn this around. Instead of you risking nothing by simply criticizing whatever I post ... you tell me why the Dan character is a positive male role model and why the producers are gender role enlightened for creating him.

My father taught me a number of positive traits like charity, resilience, assertiveness, compassion, respect, duty, taking care of family, etc.; that exemplify being a "man." I don't pretend to be all those things but it seems internet culture has twisted this idea because being a "man" is now apparently a bad thing because it somehow damages women when in reality it has nothing to do with women. So the guys on television are now a bunch of wishy washy man babies. So I don't think the problem is that you have no idea what it means but that you want, or have been taught, to believe that thinking in terms of gender is wrong. It isn't. Gender isn't a bad thing.

Whoo boy. I don't even want to touch this post.

• Locked thread