Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I've been playing the best golf of my life. It's pretty dope. Still got no power, but my chipping and putting game are on point.

Biggest thing I've noticed is I'm much more focused on the moment and visualizing what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm spending less time thinking about mechanical things. Seems to be working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sataere posted:

I've been playing the best golf of my life. It's pretty dope. Still got no power, but my chipping and putting game are on point.

Biggest thing I've noticed is I'm much more focused on the moment and visualizing what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm spending less time thinking about mechanical things. Seems to be working.

I cannot, cannot, think about mechanics with success, so I've just trained myself to think about the shot, what I want to do. Having good distance information is a huge difference for me now, not because I need it for accuracy, but because I can visualize a 165 yard shot where I cannot visualize "keep your elbow in, shoulders aligned thusly".

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

torgeaux posted:

I cannot, cannot, think about mechanics with success, so I've just trained myself to think about the shot, what I want to do. Having good distance information is a huge difference for me now, not because I need it for accuracy, but because I can visualize a 165 yard shot where I cannot visualize "keep your elbow in, shoulders aligned thusly".

I have to be aware of certain things or I'll become a complete wreck. But that's mostly approach before the shot. If I don't plant my rear end and focus my head, I bob and just chunk everything.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah I think you need to work on technical stuff at the range - get it ingrained. When you're on the course you should be visualizing the shot, making sure your aim is correct and only think of good tempo during the swing.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Played yesterday and had a wholly unremarkable round however managed to see a few caricatures and played with one. Guy on his phone all around even putted on a few greens with it up against his ear, very important of course as owns a racehorse, believe me I knew because he wouldn't stop talking about it.

Angry mother fucker behind us who got stuck into me as we had "fallen behind by several holes" if by several holes he meant hitting off as the group in front walked off the green(par 3) and pointing out to him they were hitting off the next hole as we walked off the tee box. He then proceeded to blast the group in front, as they were coming abck up the parralell par 4, telling them they were holding us up only for them to turn around a flip us off as they left the next green. Caught up to them and enquired as to why they flipped us off to be told about the complainer from the group behind and they assumed we bitched about them which was not the case, all smiles and laughs as we realised what had happened.

Bad round but hey a little entertainment is always good right? One of the guys I played with was a great guy so I have a new playing partner for the foresomes championships.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I played 18 today and continued my lifelong streak of never taking a divot with a few topped balls thrown in because I'm a flipper/trash can. At least I'm going to the Monte clinic in august so that'll hopefully get my game straightened out a bit. Still was a really nice day and I played for free so I can't complain too much.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Way to choke Paul Casey lol

loving HELL YEAH BUBBA! That shot at 18 was loving amazing

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hi my name is Mattfl and I have a problem buying questionable Scotty Cameron head covers from China lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh my god that Vegas poker shark is so loving good

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

Oh my god that Vegas poker shark is so loving good

Soon as I saw that one I knew I had to have it, it's amazing

edit: Here, get one for yourself :)

https://www.dhgate.com/product/golf-putter-club-head-cover-t-type-protective/410055495.html

Took about 3 weeks to come in.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I broke par in a league for the first time this year last night, and it felt like I should have been lower (three putt par and also a lipped out eagle chip that resulted in a par). I’ve been stuck in a rut of high-30s rounds though so I’m just happy to snap that streak. My partner also beat his handicap by ten strokes and had his first birdie of the year so the dudes we played got spanked.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Guys, I'm playing the best golf of my life and it feels good. We just took down the second place team in my golf league and are now going into the midseason position night in fourth place. Top two teams in points next week make the end of year finals. Basically, if we win next week, we are guaranteed some payout.

Started last golf season at an 18. I went into this match as a 14 and I think I'll be a 13 next week. :D

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Sataere posted:

Guys, I'm playing the best golf of my life and it feels good. We just took down the second place team in my golf league and are now going into the midseason position night in fourth place. Top two teams in points next week make the end of year finals. Basically, if we win next week, we are guaranteed some payout.

Started last golf season at an 18. I went into this match as a 14 and I think I'll be a 13 next week. :D

Great job, I've managed to get down to 13 as well, unfortunately I'll be going back up to 14 after 3 rounds due to a few rounds where I can't seem to strike a golf ball with anything other than a driver, 3 wood or putter. My iron game which has been so strong just packed up and left me the past few rounds. It's always disheartening to go from being close to 1 or 2 over on 9 to doing damage control after a few holes. Past 3 rounds were 2 par events and an ambrose, I normally don't mind par events but if your not playing well can be really unforgiving.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I've been stuck playing off 3 for about the last 7 years

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Homestar Runner posted:

I've been stuck playing off 3 for about the last 7 years

Me too.

I'm assuming we're talking about our beer minimum.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ive gone from a 12 to an 8 since retirement. Not trying to compete in my weekly round with a cheating rear end in a top hat took loads of pressure off, and that really made the difference. Unfortunately, it's gonna habe to go down soon, ive been dodging really low rounds for a while. 6 over on front, 2 over on back. 1 over through 12, 7 over through the last 6.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I went from a 21 to a 24 so far this year. :(

My putting has gotten a ton better this season though. Went from 37 putts/round last season to 32.5 so far this season. So I've got that going for me.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Story time. Every Tuesday evening during the summer about a hundred people meet at a local brewery and then once good and lubed up they ride around town on cruiser bikes, drink beer, and be generally obnoxious. I have done it before, it's a good time. Anyway, at my home course there is this little park right by the 16 tee box with an open field, a basketball court, swing set, etc. Most of the time it's empty or very quiet. I went out solo after dinner tonight and played the back 9 and sure enough as I was walking up to the 16 tee, all these bike/brew revelers were at the park making a pitstop to party for a bit before moving on to their next destination. On my way from 15 green to 16 tee I walked past the park and exchanged pleasantries with a couple dudes but nobody really paid me much attention.

I pulled driver and stepped up on the tee box. As soon as I put my tee in the ground I immediately heard what sounded like every single person in the park going "SHHHHHH, SHHHHHHHH, SHHHHHHH" and it was at this point I realized that lots of people were going to watch me hit this tee shot. The shushing continued until I addressed the ball and then all these drunk people fell into what I assume was a good natured yet patronizing "respectful silence" probably waiting for me to snap hook one into the pond so they could point and laugh. I am not in the habit of playing golf with like a hundred spectators so I was feeling self-conscious and when I took the club back I could feel my adrenaline was up. Luckily I put a good swing on it, found the sweet spot, and ripped as long of a drive as I can hit, a piercing baby cut that easily flew the trees in the dogleg and faded back towards the fairway. And these mother fuckers erupted like it was hole 16 at the Waste Management instead of 16 at the local muni. I unconsciously engaged tour sauce protocol: held finish, club twirl, grabbed my tee before the ball landed, turned around and gave my "gallery" a tip of the cap and tried to walk off as if drives like that are my standard procedure but unfortunately I think I was laughing too hard to pull it off.

I heard them do the same thing to the twosome behind me too. Pretty hilarious.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 27, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I love those people, without reservation.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

ironlung posted:

Story time. Every Tuesday evening during the summer about a hundred people meet at a local brewery and then once good and lubed up they ride around town on cruiser bikes, drink beer, and be generally obnoxious. I have done it before, it's a good time. Anyway, at my home course there is this little park right by the 16 tee box with an open field, a basketball court, swing set, etc. Most of the time it's empty or very quiet. I went out solo after dinner tonight and played the back 9 and sure enough as I was walking up to the 16 tee, all these bike/brew revelers were at the park making a pitstop to party for a bit before moving on to their next destination. On my way from 15 green to 16 tee I walked past the park and exchanged pleasantries with a couple dudes but nobody really paid me much attention.

I pulled driver and stepped up on the tee box. As soon as I put my tee in the ground I immediately heard what sounded like every single person in the park going "SHHHHHH, SHHHHHHHH, SHHHHHHH" and it was at this point I realized that lots of people were going to watch me hit this tee shot. The shushing continued until I addressed the ball and then all these drunk people fell into what I assume was a good natured yet patronizing "respectful silence" probably waiting for me to snap hook one into the pond so they could point and laugh. I am not in the habit of playing golf with like a hundred spectators so I was feeling self-conscious and when I took the club back I could feel my adrenaline was up. Luckily I put a good swing on it, found the sweet spot, and ripped as long of a drive as I can hit, a piercing baby cut that easily flew the trees in the dogleg and faded back towards the fairway. And these mother fuckers erupted like it was hole 16 at the Waste Management instead of 16 at the local muni. I unconsciously engaged tour sauce protocol: held finish, club twirl, grabbed my tee before the ball landed, turned around and gave my "gallery" a tip of the cap and tried to walk off as if drives like that are my standard procedure but unfortunately I think I was laughing too hard to pull it off.

Amazing.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm going to buy a new GPS -- I'm sick of using my phone. Do you guys prefer watch or handheld? The handhelds seem to have easier navigation & a bigger screen, but the watch style sits right there on your wrist.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ironlung posted:

This is great :)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/jonathanrwall/status/1012026219322380288

Mallet sales about to increase 500000000%

Lincoln posted:

I'm going to buy a new GPS -- I'm sick of using my phone. Do you guys prefer watch or handheld? The handhelds seem to have easier navigation & a bigger screen, but the watch style sits right there on your wrist.
I have a fairly basic GPS watch, and I like it quite a bit. Mine is a bit older (Bushnell Neo X), but it gives me enough info at a glance. Only downside is while my watch does have an update feature, you can only do it one course at a time. I'm not sure if that's something Bushnell has remedied on its newer watches, but just keep that mind if you play at a variety of courses. For me personally it's no big deal.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 27, 2018

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Have a late tee time today for league so took a lesson then cashed a rain check and played 9 solo in an hour and 15. Hitting straighter and with more power already so the lesson was great, mostly he corrected my stance and taught me a power grip. I really ripped a drive but there a distance at which my eyes stop working so I lost a ball in the middle of the fairway :argh:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I knew I screwed myself. Played 2 days in a row, different courses. My home course day 2. Day one, slow, bumpy greens, but i was on with my putter. Today, fast, smooth greens I'm used to, so i could not adjust at all. I mean, I play here just over once a week, and it was like I'd never seen a fast green before.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

aaaaaaand league's 9 took 3 hours :v:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

aaaaaaand league's 9 took 3 hours :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqIDGfD0ueQ

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Going to go golfing for the first time in like a decade. Went to get a hang of everything again, and really just had a fun time playing HORSE, seeing who could get closest to each different pin on the driving range. I lost, but hey, still a great time.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://youtu.be/QT9A5wblj0E

Better than the last one, didn't know Kaymer was such a character!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Back to back bombs by Tiger, let's gooooooo!!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I walked 18 today in NJ, easily put a gallon of fluids in me during the round and I didn’t pee until over an hour after I finished the round and had tried to start rehydrating. Sometimes it’s too hot.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

I walked 18 today in NJ, easily put a gallon of fluids in me during the round and I didn’t pee until over an hour after I finished the round and had tried to start rehydrating. Sometimes it’s too hot.

Yeah, me on Thursday. My wife asked if I drank enough. Well, 20 ounce coffee (620 am tee time), followed by filling the cup twice at water stations, followed by large gatorade, filled that bottle twice with water. No, I did not need to pee until basically dinner time.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I like the look of Tiger's new putter. Haven't changed mine since 2011.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

I played all day Saturday here in NY and it was pretty bad. In the afternoon we did a skins game with like 14 guys and they decided to do individual captain and mate from the back tees, so everyone hit two shots at a time for the entire round. I do even more than that when I’m practicing plus I usually walk so it didn’t bother me but the guys that were used to just playing 9 holes in leagues were struggling after like 6 holes. I ended up eagling three of par 4s and had a birdie hold up too so I won 4 out of 5 skins. A good Saturday.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Sataere posted:

To follow up on this, things did not go well.
Nothing like soaring to the greatest heights only to come crashing down hard. Me and my partner both struggled hard. It took me seven holes to figure out what I was doing wrong with my swing. By then, it was too late.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, cheating alleged at Quicken.

The shot link volunteer seems to seal it for me.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/07/02/pga-tour-pro-accuses-another-pro-of-cheating-at-quicken-loans-national/

https://www.golfmagic.com/golf-news/sung-kang-cheating-plot-thickens-after-shotlink-volunteers-comment

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

What I gathered from that is everyone in my league is a cheater. :D

PGA officials needed to have some balls and call him on that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Perfect example of the love/hate relationship with golf.

Double bogey 1. Lip out birdie putt on 2, par. Double bogey 3. Bogey 4. Par 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 with two birdie putts burning the hole. Par 10, 11, 12, birdie 13. Double bogey 14. Par 15. Double bogey 16. Birdie 17. Bogey 18.

This was after 2 on a par 5, 70 yards left to the hole. (Deceptively easy shot. The line was to the left of the rock immediately in front of the ball...the only difficulty was the sod was less than an inch deep on top of more rock, so couldn't take a real divot.)

20180706_134545 by B. B., on Flickr

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I had a 28 putt round which was a personal best and still ended up with a 95. I think I hit a total of 3 shots from outside 75 yards that didn't suck. It's not often I would rather putt than hit off the tee or hit my irons but I definitely do at the moment. :sigh:

Still had fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kinda surprising nobody went really low at the Greenbriar today. 75F with a 3mph wind on the course.

Kevin Na ended up winning with a -6 64 but his was the second lowest round of the day.