Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I set it to 200% I think - it's looking pretty good. Every once in a while a dialog box doesn't like it, but it's not really hindering my day to day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm 100% on my S24D17G and suits me just fine. Note, I do wear glasses.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is it likely there'll be anything like a 30" XB271HU any time soon, or am I best off just grabbing a XB271HU?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Jack the Lad posted:

Is it likely there'll be anything like a 30" XB271HU any time soon, or am I best off just grabbing a XB271HU?

Just grab the 27, I love mine.

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014
Actually, would an Acer XF270HU be a bad choice at $400? I think I'll appreciate the 144 hz at times.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

No IPS-type models on any roadmaps, there are only VA panels in that size and spec and they're all poo poo. Which is a drat shame.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Looking for a decent but cheap 27" 144hz 1440p monitor. Found this one so far.. Anyone know anything about it or have a better suggestion at this price?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078P57ZWL/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1_1_4?smid=A1BVYXEL822RF0&psc=1

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 14, 2018

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What BurritoInJustice said above about VA panels would apply to that one too.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Zaekkor posted:

Looking for a decent but cheap 27" 144hz 1440p monitor. Found this one so far.. Anyone know anything about it or have a better suggestion at this price?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078P57ZWL/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1_1_4?smid=A1BVYXEL822RF0&psc=1

What are you using it for, what video card do you have?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Coredump posted:

What BurritoInJustice said above about VA panels would apply to that one too.

I recently upgraded to a 1080ti and picked up this which I am very happy with. I wanted larger than 27" without going ultrawide. There's the caveat that I got mine for $650 though.

My daughter who's just getting into gaming inherited my old 1070 and 27" IPS which she's happy with.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
TFTCentral updated their high refresh rate roadmap last week, dunno if it's been linked here yet.

Most relevant to my own interests is the claim that the AU Optronics M270QAN02.3 panel will be entering mass production June 2018 - same panel as in the Asus PG27UQ and Acer Predator X27 but without the HDR support and hopefully a corresponding lower price tag.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Statutory Ape posted:

What are you using it for, what video card do you have?

MMOs like WoW basically. GTX 970 card

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Since the X27 is going to get included in the realm of custom water loops now because watercooling monitors has become a thing, obviously there must be a way to overclock it.

Overclock DP1.4 to eliminate the chroma subsampling thing? 200hz 4k HDR? :haw:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So I'm planning on buying some high refresh rate gsync monitor soon and was wondering the effects of pairing it with a regular 60hz monitor for when I am working and doing office/internet stuff. Will i notice the refresh rate between the two monitors/will it be uncomfortable?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ughhhh posted:

So I'm planning on buying some high refresh rate gsync monitor soon and was wondering the effects of pairing it with a regular 60hz monitor for when I am working and doing office/internet stuff. Will i notice the refresh rate between the two monitors/will it be uncomfortable?

I have a 165mhz G-Sync paired with a regular 60mhz, you'll notice the mouse cursor movement will update slower on the slower monitor. That's about it I guess.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ughhhh posted:

this is what i do as well amigo

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have a 165mhz G-Sync paired with a regular 60mhz, you'll notice the mouse cursor movement will update slower on the slower monitor. That's about it I guess.

pretty much just this that i can think of, barring other differences between the monitors ofc

E: you may want to look into LittleBigMouse, which is helpful in letting your mouse scroll across monitors of different resolutions/dpi

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 18, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I got a new job and there's a 27" Apple display here in surplus. Outputs to DP, also has usb to power the hub on the back and what looks like a MacBook charger I guess. Plugged it into my work desktop via a mini DP to DVI adapter but I'm only getting 1280x760. Hoping I might be able to find a mini DP to regular DP adapter here but if not what can I try? Do they just hate PC's?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Must be extra slow at 60mhz. That’s like one frame every 16 seconds!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ughhhh posted:

The only really annoying thing is there's a persistent bug where NVIDIA cards will refuse to clock down when running a high-refresh and a 60 Hz display at the same time, you'll be running like 25% TDP all the time even just idling at the desktop. They've fixed it like a half dozen times and it keeps coming back.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

So I got a new job and there's a 27" Apple display here in surplus. Outputs to DP, also has usb to power the hub on the back and what looks like a MacBook charger I guess. Plugged it into my work desktop via a mini DP to DVI adapter but I'm only getting 1280x760. Hoping I might be able to find a mini DP to regular DP adapter here but if not what can I try? Do they just hate PC's?

I have the same monitor hooked up to my PC. I use a mini DP to DP adapter going into my dGPU without any issues at full 1440p. What version of Windows are you on? Are you on the latest video driver set (Intel, AMD or Nvidia)?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

codo27 posted:

Can you elaborate more on this adapter? I'd bet it's your problem. If your PC has a DisplayPort output then DP->MiniDP adapters are plentiful and cheap, if it only has DVI/HDMI then you're probably best off finding another monitor.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I have to go get a new monitor for second screen. Its kinda short notice and I'd really rather just pick one up from walmart or something than order online, but I don't know how much of a hit I'm going to take on quality by doing that. I know some things, like laptops, are buyer beware since the low end stuff is such garbage.

I could order online and just live with waiting for shipping if I had to but I was hoping to pick one up for tonight if at all possible. Walmart is the only close department store, after that I'd probably need to drive ~an hour to find a best buy or some other outlet.

E: oh and I have a real good monitor as my main for video games and poo poo. Second monitor is for holding information I want to have quick access to and netflix so I don't think I need anything real nice.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 18, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

The only really annoying thing is there's a persistent bug where NVIDIA cards will refuse to clock down when running a high-refresh and a 60 Hz display at the same time, you'll be running like 25% TDP all the time even just idling at the desktop. They've fixed it like a half dozen times and it keeps coming back.

I have a 144 Hz FHD and 60 Hz UHD running off a 1070. The GPU has always clocked down in this configuration, however as soon as more than two displays are connected (including a Rift) it exhibits the behavior you described. It's a problem with the outputs in use, not refresh rate.

Agent355 posted:

I have to go get a new monitor for second screen. Its kinda short notice and I'd really rather just pick one up from walmart or something than order online, but I don't know how much of a hit I'm going to take on quality by doing that. I know some things, like laptops, are buyer beware since the low end stuff is such garbage.

I could order online and just live with waiting for shipping if I had to but I was hoping to pick one up for tonight if at all possible. Walmart is the only close department store, after that I'd probably need to drive ~an hour to find a best buy or some other outlet.

E: oh and I have a real good monitor as my main for video games and poo poo. Second monitor is for holding information I want to have quick access to and netflix so I don't think I need anything real nice.

For a secondary display I'd strongly recommend a 27-28" UHD panel in the $200-300 range, due to the sheer volume (or area, rather,) of screen real estate. For reference, here's a cheap IPS example of the aforementioned for only $200; reviews are mixed, but if you get a problem-free example it'd be a hell of a deal. Since you want to get something locally however, use that as a benchmark for whatever they have in Walmart or wherever. Recently I've also found refurbished TN 28" UHD displays online (on deal-a-day sites like Woot and Meh) in the $220-240 range, which aside from being refurb'd and a few years old are probably higher-end than that Scepter, but again just keep this in mind when comparing with the local options.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i have a 28" dell UHD that I got for $220 or so. it goes on sale for that price not too infrequently. as a secondary screen i could not ask for more.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Wait, should I not be gaming on my 1440p GSync monitor with my old 60hz monitor hooked up and turned on?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KingKapalone posted:

Wait, should I not be gaming on my 1440p GSync monitor with my old 60hz monitor hooked up and turned on?

You're fine, what they're saying is that the difference in mouse cursor speed is easy to see when you have a 60Hz monitor right next to a high-speed "gaming" monitor. Someone on 60Hz would never expect that, but the second you see them side by side it's amazingly obvious.

The only actual issue with mismatched refresh rates is the nVidia clock bug that's been covered already.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, the Dell 43" 4K is a beast.

Getting used to this setup (2x27" + 43" PLP) will probably take a while, coming from 4x27"...

Whoever designed the stand for the 43" needs to get shot though, so ... any advice on a decent single monitor stand with height adjustment that can handle the 43"? I'm tempted to re-use my old stand, but I have some misgivings about the weight.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, I've had it since it came out and absolutely love it. It launched at $1500, went down to $1000 a month later, $900 for black Friday and/or with friends/family discount, right now it's inexplicably back up at $1500. If you can get it around $1000 then I'd pull the trigger. The Asus/Acer looks fine if you're looking at it head-on or use a $50 ErgoTech arm instead of the included stand.

Ok this turned up today and i think i've got a faulty/poo poo one. there's ghosting on black text when i drag it or even scroll at low speed on the desktop, ghosting on the mouse cursor, ghosting in games (really noticeably on white edges) and the cherry on top, tearing even though i have g-sync enabled. my machine is only a few weeks old, 8700k, windows 10 and a gtx1070ti

Banano fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 21, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Banano posted:

Ok this turned up today and i think i've got a faulty/poo poo one. there's ghosting on black text when i drag it or even scroll at low speed on the desktop, ghosting on the mouse cursor, ghosting in games (really noticeably on white edges) and the cherry on top, tearing even though i have g-sync enabled. my machine is only a few weeks old, 8700k, windows 10 and a gtx1070ti

What kind of cable are you using, and how long? It includes its own DisplayPort cable, have you tried that?

Is it set to 120hz both in the monitor's settings (i.e. the buttons on the monitor) and in Windows?

edit: I'm posting from the monitor now with the exact same setup, 8700k, Win 10, 1070ti, so that's weird your experience is so different.

edit 2: You will however, get tearing in games if you don't cap the max framerate below the hz of the monitor. I run my monitor at 120hz, and I use NVidia Profile Inspector to cap GPU at 118 FPS.

edit 3: make sure you have RESPONSE TIME set to "Normal" and not "Super Fast". Super fast will make everything ghost. Normal looks and works fine.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 21, 2018

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
i'm using the displayport cable that came with it although i've got another one in the post arriving tomorrow. refresh is set at 100hz on the monitor itself, in windows settings and nvidia control panel. :(

aha, response time was the culprit, i don't remember setting it but i suppose i must have done, thankyou :worship:

why would they even include a setting that did that? it's so outrageously awful, they were on the verge of a refund/return from me

Banano fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 21, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Banano posted:

i'm using the displayport cable that came with it although i've got another one in the post arriving tomorrow. refresh is set at 100hz on the monitor itself, in windows settings and nvidia control panel. :(

aha, response time was the culprit, i don't remember setting it but i suppose i must have done, thankyou :worship:

why would they even include a setting that did that? it's so outrageously awful, they were on the verge of a refund/return from me

All monitors have it in some form or another, it's a way too aggressive overdrive that results in marginally better pixel response times (H I G H SPEED GAMING) at the cost of insane RTC errors and awful IQ. It's never worth using but it's an expected feature for idiots who think it'll make their KDA better, and unfortunately it's quite common to ruin monitors for regular folk because it sounds like a good gamer feature.

Some monitors are like this out of the box, the 240Hz TN screens have quite poor antighosting because of the overdrive required for 240Hz.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Wibla posted:

Wow, the Dell 43" 4K is a beast.

Getting used to this setup (2x27" + 43" PLP) will probably take a while, coming from 4x27"...

Whoever designed the stand for the 43" needs to get shot though, so ... any advice on a decent single monitor stand with height adjustment that can handle the 43"? I'm tempted to re-use my old stand, but I have some misgivings about the weight.
Did you get the P4317Q? I got the same model a few months ago. To adjust height I had to put some books under the stand. I don't know why they put the speakers on the monitor, just adds unnecessary weight.

One big annoyance I have with the P4317Q: with my GTX 980Ti the colors look a little faded, so I have to go to the Nvidia control panel under "Adjust Desktop Color Settings" and constantly toggle the Digital Vibrance to get the bolder colors back.

The issue occurs if I go from desktop to any game and then back to the desktop, which resets back the faded colors. Not sure if it's a driver issue or some configuration I need to change I'm not aware of.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

nnnotime posted:

Did you get the P4317Q? I got the same model a few months ago. To adjust height I had to put some books under the stand. I don't know why they put the speakers on the monitor, just adds unnecessary weight.

One big annoyance I have with the P4317Q: with my GTX 980Ti the colors look a little faded, so I have to go to the Nvidia control panel under "Adjust Desktop Color Settings" and constantly toggle the Digital Vibrance to get the bolder colors back.

The issue occurs if I go from desktop to any game and then back to the desktop, which resets back the faded colors. Not sure if it's a driver issue or some configuration I need to change I'm not aware of.

Yeah I got the P4317Q, and I'd like to get it lower, not higher :)

Haven't noticed the color issue, but I have noticed the BGR vs RGB thing if I look closely. Not really an issue though.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

nnnotime posted:

Make sure your xbox game bar thing is turned off in Windows.?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I would like someone to talk me down off the ledge because I'm having a lot of buyer's remorse with my X34P right now.

I upgraded from an XB271HU (gaming PC) and a 34" LG ultrawide (work laptop); I wanted to consolidate to a single monitor and it seemed that the X34P would give me the best of both of my previous monitors.

What I got was a display with vignetting across the top 1/4", nasty IPS glow that is very visible when gaming during dark scenes/cut scenes (like in Witcher 3), and mediocre black levels/contrast.

I'm not feeling like I got my $1,100+ worth here.

I don't have my XB271HU around to compare anymore but I don't remember its IPS glow being as noticeable. I feel like it's worst on the X34P on the curved sides, especially the left side, so the smaller/flat panel on the XB271HU may have been mitigating it. I'm guessing its contrast was not much better but I had not yet seen OLED..

I got an 55" LG OLED TV a month ago and have moved almost all of my gaming to that at this point. It's kind of ruined the X34P for me because my monitor now looks extremely washed-out in comparison and the IPS glow is an annoyance. When using the TV I miss the ultrawide ratio (in games that support it well), 120 FPS, and G-SYNC, but 4K (+HDR for things like Destiny 2) at a solid 60 FPS isn't too bad and I mostly play single-player games with an XB1 controller these days anyway.

I'm close to just selling the X34P and eating the loss. I still have my old LG that I can use for work. For gaming, I don't know what else to do for a desk monitor; the $2,000 HDR ones have the chroma bandwidth issues, the upcoming 200Hz VA-panel monitors might be good but will probably cost $2,500+. I like having a kb/mouse set up for playing WoW, but it may be time to just get a lapdesk thing and go full couch gamer until these $1,000-2,000 monitors get better.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 21, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD is raising Freesync 2s minimum spec from HDR400 to HDR600.

Good, it was a worthlessly low bar before.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

So bigger number is more better then?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, true HDR is supposedly 1000nits.

HDR400 is the dumbest standard because some non-HDR monitors are 400nits and only requires an 8bit panel, its just a scam to rebrand old panels as HDR.

My 2011 iMac meets HDR400 for instance.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 21, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wargames posted:

So bigger number is more better then?

Yeah bigger is better. The obvious difference is the peak brightness (HDR400 = 400nits peak, etc) but there are also different requirements regarding contrast ratios and image processing.

Nvidia appears to be mandating HDR1000 for G-Sync HDR monitors and BFGDs, at least all the ones announced so far meet that spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
27", 2k / 1440p, gsync? Any recommendations? I'm willing to drop Gsync since gaming is about 5% of the use.