Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Season 2 episode 8. When Ake walks into Sweetwater, they reuse old footage not realizing there is a camera crew doing a shot of following Maeve.

Or maybe they did realise and this is all part of the storyline, which is also somehow connected to trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Durzel posted:

My memory is hazy but didn't Dolores start the awakening of Maeve by whispering the whole "these violent delights have violent ends" trigger sentence to her outside the Pasadena?

Also in suffering terms Maeve was the madam at the point at which she became woke, was she really suffering at that point? Her character seemed to relish the position. I can't remember if it was stated how long she had been doing that but I got the sense that her past life with her fake child was a long time ago. Other characters by contrast seemingly had endless suffering since they were "born" (e.g. Teddy).

Maeve was awoken (or at least beginning the process) by the MiB when he attacked her and her daughter. She started flipping out and they basically rewrote her and made her the madam to fix her and she lost the memory of that. Dolores spread the violent ends thing to her, which woke her again/gave her memory back.

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 21, 2018

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

TK-42-1 posted:

Exactly. If they had actually made first person shots or whatever then countless idiots would have been hurr durr who is she watching????

It would be Dolores POV view of getting raped.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Darko posted:

Maeve was awoken (or at least beginning the process) by the MiB when he attacked her and her daughter. She started flipping out and they basically rewrote her and made her the madam to fix her and she lost the memory of that. Dolores spread the violent ends thing to her, which woke her again/gave her memory back.

It wasn’t just Delores, it was also the STAPH infection causing her pain in the exact same spot the MIB stabbed her. Given what we know now I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford made Bernard infect her in the area so that the pain would start triggering her repressed memories.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dolores Violent Delightsing her didn't wake Maeve up, I don't think, or else how do we explain all the drawings hidden in her room? Too many to have happened after that, imho. Maeve had been remembering for a while, even before S2 confirmed it for us.

My theory is violent delights spread Ford's little narratives for each awaking host. It set Dolores on her path to find the maze/become Wyatt and set Maeve on her path to escape by train.

Or it's something the show wanted to be more directly connected to awareness in the pilot and changed during the break in S1's production to be something else/less. :shrug:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I ain't playing no goddamn Westworld game that isn't some sort of Rollercoaster Tycoon/Sims ripoff.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I ain't playing no goddamn Westworld game that isn't some sort of Rollercoaster Tycoon/Sims Mount&Blade ripoff.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

would

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

:hmmyes:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

tino posted:

Yeah, why would it be William's POV? Though it'd be funny if it turned out the hats also had cameras all this time. Huge, noisy ones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, why would it be William's POV? Though it'd be funny if it turned out the hats also had cameras all this time. Huge, noisy ones.

Simpsons did it

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Cojawfee posted:

Simpsons did it

This thread:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tino posted:

All this time later and I'm still not sold MiB raped Dolores back in the barn. A lot pointed in the first season to him having actually been there to scalp her instead.

I mean .. uh.. I guess that's.. better?

It's less that I don't think he'd be capable of it and more that he was on a very specific waste-no-time quest at the time and she started 'waking up' afterward.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's a common TV shortcut, use edited footage instead of re-shooting the scenes in a manner that simulates some in-world camera.

Sadly it's one of those shortcuts that's so well known that I think even the common viewer notices and finds it annoying.

That said in a couple of those shots you could argue it's a host POV; like him dragging her to the barn could have been from Teddy's camera.

ED: Actually this just hit me with a huge, huge plot hole. Or on purpose:

The scene of him dragging her to the barn and such happened before the first episode. Oh poo poo. Is William on a loop after all?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I feel like there is some loop anyway, whenever his daughter starts quizing him it feels like a fidelity check.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Blazing Ownager posted:

That said in a couple of those shots you could argue it's a host POV; like him dragging her to the barn could have been from Teddy's camera.
I think it's pretty fair to say it is, at least the way I remember the sequence of shots.

Blazing Ownager posted:

The scene of him dragging her to the barn and such happened before the first episode.
I've been assuming that for a while now, since William even says his path always lead him back to her. It's probably fair to say he has been paying Dolores several visits over the years, even if they grew more infrequent over time. Plus it's really part of Dolores' storyline, not the MiB's, and we know Dolores' storyline is all over the place in terms of when events take place - she's been doing her trip to Escalante several times, the MiB barn scene could have been a few years prior to the present of S1. Then there's the fact that the MiB out looking for the Maze also doesn't seem the type to distract himself with Dolores.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Hey speaking of Teddy "Flood"...

...if he just blew his brains out, how does his corpse end up floatin' in the giant lake by the end of the two week timeframe with everyone else? Bernard says he killed them "all" -- did he mean he killed all of them, minus Teddy, who was already dead but just sorta got dragged along? Ala Weekend at Bernie's Bernard's?

edit: another idea -- when William talks to Ford in the flashback bar scene, Ford says, "Ohh... I just came to... pay my respects." Is this a hint that William died long ago?

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 21, 2018

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/maggieserota/status/1009584611838570496?s=21

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DirtyRobot posted:

...if he just blew his brains out, how does his corpse end up floatin' in the giant lake by the end of the two week timeframe with everyone else? Bernard says he killed them "all" -- did he mean he killed all of them, minus Teddy, who was already dead but just sorta got dragged along? Ala Weekend at Bernie's Bernard's?

its possible he blew his brains out in the valley i guess, it kind of looks like they're in a valley when he blows his brains out and they start the convo with something like "we made it, its beautiful blah blah" don't they?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Sadly it's one of those shortcuts that's so well known that I think even the common viewer notices and finds it annoying.

ED: Actually this just hit me with a huge, huge plot hole. Or on purpose:

The scene of him dragging her to the barn and such happened before the first episode. Oh poo poo. Is William on a loop after all?

I would imagine that William has made more than one trip to the rape barn in 30 years of visiting Westworld

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

DariusLikewise posted:

I would imagine that William has made more than one trip to the rape barn in 30 years of visiting Westworld

Agreed, I got the feeling that that little event is one of the first things he does whenever he visits.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah he most likely has, but using the exact shot from S01E01 and not altering it at all is pretty lazy.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

WMain00 posted:

Or maybe they did realise and this is all part of the storyline, which is also somehow connected to trains.

The big reveal: Westworld is the Truman Show, and Ford's big plan is to pay $64,000 to whoever makes it out of the park alive.

Edit: HBO cancels Westworld and goes all in on "Willie's Virtual Rape Barn Staycation" spinoff

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 21, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah he most likely has, but using the exact shot from S01E01 and not altering it at all is pretty lazy.

Why would they pay two actors and assorted crew to shoot a new scene that will only been seen on a small portion of a prop for a half second shot?

Goon showrunners would bankrupt their productions two episodes in.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

lol cmon it was a rectangle among like 10 others in a 2 second shot and it's an effective way to convey to the audience in that short amount of time that his wife is watching his worst WestWorld moments compilation.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
And if we want to get all nerdy about it I would assume technology by then is advanced to the point of having cameras small enough to exist just about anywhere in the park without being intrusive, if not floating around like specks of dust, and would definitely be deployed in a park who's major purpose is to record the actions of guests.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't see how using that shot in the file was lazy at all.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

imo it's only lazy in the sense that scene happened after his wife died. Otherwise who cares lol

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

If Billy owns Delos which owns WW, why does he have to gently caress around for 30 years waiting for Ford to jump off the deep end and let the hosts go crazy. Why can’t he just send out an email like “hey, turn the bullet protection off I wanna be able to die tia”

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't see how using that shot in the file was lazy at all.

Because this isn't The Office and what we are watching is not supposed to be acknowledged as a camera filming them. Also yeah it happened before his wife died.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol cmon it was a rectangle among like 10 others in a 2 second shot and it's an effective way to convey to the audience in that short amount of time that his wife is watching his worst WestWorld moments compilation.

They could have easily and quickly thrown some sort of filter or overlay over it. I know it's not that big of a deal, but it did take me out of the scene a bit which is something they should strive to avoid.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

esperterra posted:

imo it's only lazy in the sense that scene happened after his wife died. Otherwise who cares lol

Oh yeah... well that part makes sense.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yes its a two second shot but barn rape was a memorable and important scene from season 1. Continuity isnt much to ask from a television show especially one that aims for the high brow.

Picking apart the show is almost as fun as watching it and watching it is pretty fun.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It's either lazy because they should have done the scene from 10 different angles or if they do that it's confusing because which way is the barn going?

I imagine they had a similar discussion in the writer's room... :crossarms:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
They could have done any shot with young william being a dick or any shot simply with young william

Hell they could have just made that square a part of the computer with no video on it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

To be fair they fully realized the host programming for the split second tablet shots. It’s lazy yes but who the gently caress cares.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The show relies on macguffins more than a blizzard game. The two seconds we get to see inside one the writers cant be bothered to follow continuity. After all whats on that card led to the death of the main characters wife and daughter. It's one of the rare times the show "shows" not tells and the "show" is a big derp

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Why didn't they just use footage of the McPoyles, we haven't seen those shots on West World before & they really show you the menace and evil in William's heart.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

YOU WILL RAPE HERRRR!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
YA GET FORK STABBED!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Despera posted:

The show relies on macguffins more than a blizzard game. The two seconds we get to see inside one the writers cant be bothered to follow continuity. After all whats on that card led to the death of the main characters wife and daughter. It's one of the rare times the show "shows" not tells and the "show" is a big derp

I think you're blowing this out of proportion, it will all make sense when we get to the maze pariah ghost nation territory Escalante the edge of the park the door the cradle the valley beyond the lake formerly known as the valley beyond.

Wait just a tick, didn't they find the tiger corpse at the edge of the lake that hasn't been created yet? Doesn't that imply that Rajworld Grace hasn't arrived yet?