Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Garrand posted:

I don't think I've seen any of the movies shown there but it does make me think of that movie Overboard where the rich woman falls off her yacht and ends up with amnesia and the carpenter she ripped off convinces her she's his wife. Even as a kid I thought it was creepy and weird.

Also in trying to remember the title I discovered that they did a gender swapped remake that came out earlier this year. What a bizarre choice.

We hate movies did a pretty funny thing on that movie. I had a similar weirded out feeling as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It's creepy but drat it Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn make it work.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

Yeah, it could have been a hell of A lot worse.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Pop Culture Detective put out another video on how toxic masculinity is pervasive as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8xL7w1POZ0

More than a few of the sample clips made my skin crawl, and there's just, an endless amount of them.

This was a really good video that made me super uncomfortable in a good way. But it seems really weird to focus on Passengers as the inciter for this analysis considering the movie pretty clearly frames the waking up of the woman as an act of insanity-driven desperation rather than some kind of power fantasy, and just how evil and wrong it was to do it is a key focus. The romance part could be seen as indulging in a fantasy, but because it's built on the worst possible lie we spend the entire time waiting for the other shoe to drop and when it does its devastating and horrific to sit through.

I mean, the guy gets forgiven for his crime and gets the girl in the end anyway, yes, and that's messed up to a point, but I don't really think it's in the same ballpark as most of the other examples.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Kyle going to do another Summer of Shakespeare?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

This was a really good video that made me super uncomfortable in a good way. But it seems really weird to focus on Passengers as the inciter for this analysis considering the movie pretty clearly frames the waking up of the woman as an act of insanity-driven desperation rather than some kind of power fantasy, and just how evil and wrong it was to do it is a key focus. The romance part could be seen as indulging in a fantasy, but because it's built on the worst possible lie we spend the entire time waiting for the other shoe to drop and when it does its devastating and horrific to sit through.

I mean, the guy gets forgiven for his crime and gets the girl in the end anyway, yes, and that's messed up to a point, but I don't really think it's in the same ballpark as most of the other examples.

Jon hates the movie a bunch and he tends not go after contextual reasons in said movies or honestly anything he critiques. All sins are equal to him. He makes good points though, it is a gross troupe.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dapper_Swindler posted:

My big issue with him is that everything with his interactions with nerd totems is so loving shallow. There critical depth. I don’t even just mean “here are issues with etc”, it’s literally just name dropping with maybe a trivia piece. He is more shallow with nerd poo poo the Big Bang theory.

That's exactly the worst thing about it. Cline is the most insufferable nerd stereotype if you read any of the other poo poo he's written. But he doesn't even have the internal consistency to treat any of the poo poo he idolizes like it's worth a drat. It's just "And then I got a Firefly Class spaceship (from the TV Series Firefly) and called it the Vonnegut after famous writer Kurt Vonnegut, because I read every one of his works." Even when he gets into the slightly more obscure poo poo, it becomes apparent he either doesn't know what he's talking about, or just doesn't care. Such as when he dedicates a paragraph or two to babbling about "Tranzor Z" and the associated Mazinger franchise.

It's like that Game Master Anthony thing, except he got paid for it and I hate him.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DoubleCakes posted:

Not to mention that Russel and Hawn are married.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, great points, i remember watching Big Bang theory once or twice and a lot of it was “lol, Spock” or some common thing. If they wanted to they go for some real grognard poo poo like crusader kings or have the hateful cast scream at each other over moral choices in New Vegas or a more obscure game. Then it could be funny on a few different levels.

I remember a couple years ago, there was article that linked to a podcast or audio interview with Ice T, and in it, he talked about how he had been roped into doing narration for a Dungeons and Dragons audiobook. In it, he said , "Dungeons and Dragons is some deep, deep nerd poo poo." As such, I've sort of categorized in my head what level of nerd poo poo things are on. Big Bang Theory is a show where they'll namedrop surface level stuff like D&D or Green Lantern or whatever, but that's because it something that a general audience would still recognize. You wouldn't see an episode about Sheldon talking about how he hated the balance changes in Dark Age of Camelot or lamenting how Nintendo won't release Mother 3 (although Robot Chicken did make that joke, I think).

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least Kelsey grammer and David Hyde Pierce put in good performances which is more than I can say for Jim Parsons. It's sad because Parsons can act but he's stuck playing an unlikeable jackass as his most popular role.
:yeah: Parsons has always struck me as an actor who could do really well if given better material. I know he hosted SNL once a couple of years ago, and I remember him giving an good performance.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/ShartiTheClown/status/1009908040181665793

"logical sane middle." Holy balls. He's the exact living caricature of the "the truth is somewhere in the middle" joke you facetiously say as a joke in a political discussion. It would actually be impressive if it weren't pathetic and toxic.

These Trending Gamer award winners sure are killing it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:decorum:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbot posted:

"logical sane middle." Holy balls. He's the exact living caricature of the "the truth is somewhere in the middle" joke you facetiously say as a joke in a political discussion. It would actually be impressive if it weren't pathetic and toxic.

that’s really loving depressing. Fucken centrist types. “Meh media criticism is the same as Nazis you guys, where did you all go.”

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

:laffo: It's both so close and yet so far away. Like they are playing right into Right politics while (being generous) not pure right themselves. Like it's literally a rightwing tactic to make their horseshit policies "worth talking about".

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

He didn't say that Anita Sarkeesian was responsible for Charlottesville, that's kind of a reductive way of putting it - he was talking about the Us vs Them/Knives out/Change now/etc etc etc approach in general, at least if you go through the full thing. I mean, obviously you can disagree with that or not, he doesn't pretend not to be a centrist or anything soooo *tongue pop*

Clearly nothing of interest at all is happening at VidCon this year so let's go back to last year's highlights

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

He didn't say that Anita Sarkeesian was responsible for Charlottesville, that's kind of a reductive way of putting it - he was talking about the Us vs Them/Knives out/Change now/etc etc etc approach in general, at least if you go through the full thing. I mean, obviously you can disagree with that or not, he doesn't pretend not to be a centrist or anything soooo *tongue pop*

Clearly nothing of interest at all is happening at VidCon this year so let's go back to last year's highlights

"The way you are doing it people are getting loving killed in Charlottesville"
He specifically blames her for, you know. The murder that guy did.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I think we can take "you" as far left peeps in general as opposed to "You specifically, ANITA". I mean. the only way that really makes sense was if she was out there on the front line.

EDIT: I only say this cos it was almost certainly worded wrong. This obviously isn't designed to make his statement really all that better in people's eyes or anything

EDIT again: Basically in the full 13 min highlight he goes into detail about the chat he had with Anita at VidCon after their tete-a-tete last year. He says that they didn't agree on much if anything at all but they both came away with something of an understanding...in the context of the full clip the "leftists in gen" approach makes more sense because it would be weird for him to say all these pretty ok things and then suddenly directly blame her for Heather Heyer's murder at the end

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 22, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It´s ~2:00 for me meaning its about 1:00 in the UK and I should go to sleep cause this might go places that ain't good.
I hope you ain't drinking ATM Kim, I see your point but engaging won't help.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Was it really only a year ago that Anita Sarkeesian walked this gas bag through a panic attack by holding his hand and helping him breathe into a bag or whatever because he couldn’t handle whatever mild criticism she gave him (according to his own account where she was a big mean scary lady)? That should end up in a textbook as a reference standard for uncompensated emotional labor.

It feels like it was at least two or three years ago, like everything in the Brexit/Trump time-dilation hellpit we’re trapped in.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Zedd posted:

It´s ~2:00 for me meaning its about 1:00 in the UK and I should go to sleep cause this might go places that ain't good.
I hope you ain't drinking ATM Kim, I see your point but engaging won't help.

I'm fine and sober. I don't have enough in this for a fight, I'm just desperate to engage in some conversation that isn't about Ernest Cline

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Boogie's point is precisely "Stay in the closet, gays and freaks. Our entire society depends on your unhappiness and misery to remain stable, or things will go to poo poo and it'll be all on you!"

gently caress that, and anyone who covers for that.

We should get a time machine and import a 1920s bully to come knee him in the balls over wearing glasses and being overwirght, then tell him maybe in 20 years he can leave his home safely if he just behaves.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Lol what the gently caress is wrong with this sad sack.

Kim Justice posted:

I think we can take "you" as far left peeps in general as opposed to "You specifically, ANITA". I mean. the only way that really makes sense was if she was out there on the front line.

EDIT: I only say this cos it was almost certainly worded wrong. This obviously isn't designed to make his statement really all that better in people's eyes or anything

EDIT again: Basically in the full 13 min highlight he goes into detail about the chat he had with Anita at VidCon after their tete-a-tete last year. He says that they didn't agree on much if anything at all but they both came away with something of an understanding...in the context of the full clip the "leftists in gen" approach makes more sense because it would be weird for him to say all these pretty ok things and then suddenly directly blame her for Heather Heyer's murder at the end
Lol I mean she is an ok socially liberalish media critic who leans a little to sex negative sometimes and had a poo poo writer for awhile and chases progressive fads sometimes but is apparently a ok person. Like I don’t get the hatred

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kim Justice posted:

I think we can take "you" as far left peeps in general as opposed to "You specifically, ANITA".

He's loving wrong however you spin it, their pissy little statement is directly giving a pass to neo-nazis for being violent by playing the "BUT THE OTHER SIDE WAS MEEEAN SOMETIMES" card.

Here, this is his crock of poo poo summed up

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Max Wilco posted:

I remember a couple years ago, there was article that linked to a podcast or audio interview with Ice T, and in it, he talked about how he had been roped into doing narration for a Dungeons and Dragons audiobook. In it, he said , "Dungeons and Dragons is some deep, deep nerd poo poo." As such, I've sort of categorized in my head what level of nerd poo poo things are on. Big Bang Theory is a show where they'll namedrop surface level stuff like D&D or Green Lantern or whatever, but that's because it something that a general audience would still recognize. You wouldn't see an episode about Sheldon talking about how he hated the balance changes in Dark Age of Camelot or lamenting how Nintendo won't release Mother 3 (although Robot Chicken did make that joke, I think).

I remember seeing an episode of Big Bang Theory where Sheldon makes a big deal about that night being Halo night, and I was thinking, if they were really uber nerds they'd probably scoff at Halo and be playing Team Fortress (or if they really wanted to dig deep, Tribes) on some nuclear powered gaming PCs.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Boogie's point is precisely "Stay in the closet, gays and freaks. Our entire society depends on your unhappiness and misery to remain stable, or things will go to poo poo and it'll be all on you!"

gently caress that, and anyone who covers for that.

We should get a time machine and import a 1920s bully to come knee him in the balls over wearing glasses and being overwirght, then tell him maybe in 20 years he can leave his home safely if he just behaves.

Yeah well boogie is a dumb centrist. 10 degrees to the left of center on a good day, 20 degrees to the right when it effects him personally.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I remember seeing a an episode of Big Bang Theory where Sheldon makes a big deal about that night being Halo night, and I was thinking, if they were really uber nerds they'd probably scoff at Halo and be playing Team Fortress (or if they really wanted to dig deep, Tribes) on some nuclear powered gaming PCs.

Sheldon would be like me, sitting alone playing mount and blade mods or posting on this thread while in the bathroom.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can't spin it. boogie is an idiot and doesn't understand concepts like the overton window so that the "middle" in this country is well to the right. there is no "far left". the left's positions are morally and empirically correct and you have to face these people when they try to show up in force.

the right started the violence. they were the ones walking around toting assault rifles in public. they're the ones that killed someone (and tried to beat a black man to death).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anita’s been getting a harder edge for the last while—I think she’s a lot farther left than you might think. She was streaming the direct action against the nazis in Berkeley (I think) the most recent time they pulled their poo poo.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Sheldon would be like me, sitting alone playing mount and blade mods or posting on this thread while in the bathroom.

I'd legit probably find the show kind of interesting if they dug deep into the most obscure nerd ephemera, shows like the Venture Bros tend to do that and it's interesting to see since it implies that that is the kind of stuff that's generally on the creators mind and conjures a different image from some overworked sitcom writer hack who's written basically the same episode for thirty years trying to remember what nerds are meant to like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can't spin it. boogie is an idiot and doesn't understand concepts like the overton window so that the "middle" in this country is well to the right. there is no "far left". the left's positions are morally and empirically correct and you have to face these people when they try to show up in force.

the right started the violence. they were the ones walking around toting assault rifles in public. they're the ones that killed someone (and tried to beat a black man to death).

pretty much. he is dumb mother fucker who i feel bad sometimes because he seems to be sorta doing it to keep people liking him so he doesnt take a side and says dumbshit that pisses off both. he is like a fatter dumber Erasmus.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Edit: Nevermind

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jimbot posted:

It's funny, but he's definitely representative of a class of people who feel comfortable with the status quo to which any ideology is an athima. You can tell because he doesn't see the material component to why people move left or move right, it's just a game to him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's ignoring that the far right holds all political power in this country and the actual left hold zero. it's not his fault most people code the republican and democrats as "right" and "left" when they're actually far right and center right.

it's also ignoring that violence against the oppressor is not equal to violence against the oppressed.

it just sucks these idiots have a platform when there are probably a number of well informed people with none.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah well boogie is a dumb centrist. 10 degrees to the left of center on a good day, 20 degrees to the right when it effects him personally.

Which is video games and not even anything real, so hopefully next comic con a pair of Phil Ochs cosplayers (one early-era and one from the Gunfight at Carnegie Hall cover) can break their guitars over his head in unison.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

In that clip he's talking directly to Anita, or at least it's framed that way. But even if it is a general "you" towards the left - they're not the ones who killed a person. Or do you think blaming the person who got killed for being there is a cool thing to do, versus blaming the monster that drove them down in a car?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

business hammocks posted:

Anita’s been getting a harder edge for the last while—I think she’s a lot farther left than you might think. She was streaming the direct action against the nazis in Berkeley (I think) the most recent time they pulled their poo poo.

cool and good. her stuff has honestly gotten a ton better season 2 onward. it was just alot better written and had good points. the old ones could be weirdly moralizing at times and some of the points were kind eh. glad she went leftward.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nuebot posted:

In that clip he's talking directly to Anita, or at least it's framed that way. But even if it is a general "you" towards the left - they're not the ones who killed a person. Or do you think blaming the person who got killed for being there is a cool thing to do, versus blaming the monster that drove them down in a car?

Like I said, I'm not trying to make his statement more palatable, just more accurate. I don't think Boogie blaming the left is a position I agree with, that's kinda like if I grabbed your arm, started punching you with it and told you to stop hitting yourself. Charlottesville was pretty awful and I think it's a bad show for him to invoke it. At the same time this admittedly doesn't mean I'm gonna start hating Boogie or anything really

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cool and good. her stuff has honestly gotten a ton better season 2 onward. it was just alot better written and had good points. the old ones could be weirdly moralizing at times and some of the points were kind eh. glad she went leftward.

Well, that was likely the Jonathan McIntosh influence. I don't really watch her at all and honestly thought those first few T vs VG videos were poo poo but she seems more personable lately.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

It's funny, but he's definitely representative of a class of people who feel comfortable with the status quo to which any ideology is an athima. You can tell because he doesn't see the material component to why people move left or move right, it's just a game to him.

Your South Park Republican has evolved!

You now have a South Park Centrist!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Since I get the feeling the thread's going downhill again, I might as well post this:
https://twitter.com/appabend/status/1009589441998884864

Kim Justice posted:

Well, that was likely the Jonathan McIntosh influence. I don't really watch her at all and honestly thought those first few T vs VG videos were poo poo but she seems more personable lately.

I haven't watched any of Anita's stuff since Tropes vs Video Games ended either, since I don't really have any interest. I didn't watch any of the Pop Culture Detective that have been posted either, because I absolutely can't stand McIntosh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wait now they;re doing an assassins creed that takes place BEFORE the assassins existed? jfc.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Because it's definitely just about constantly trying to one-up, not normalize these things. :ughh:

Groovelord Neato posted:

wait now they;re doing an assassins creed that takes place BEFORE the assassins existed? jfc.

Origins already did and it was better for it, the assmans and templeboys are the worst part of every AC story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Like I said, I'm not trying to make his statement more palatable, just more accurate. I don't think Boogie blaming the left is a position I agree with, that's kinda like if I grabbed your arm, started punching you with it and told you to stop hitting yourself. Charlottesville was pretty awful and I think it's a bad show for him to invoke it. At the same time this admittedly doesn't mean I'm gonna start hating Boogie or anything really

yeah, thats what i was saying without saying it. once he hosed off, and the gamespot lady got picked up(forgot her name sorry) it was passable alright stuff. its more its not my type of video. i prefer the lindsey ellis or hbomber approach. but thats just me.

Max Wilco posted:

Since I get the feeling the thread's going downhill again, I might as well post this:
https://twitter.com/appabend/status/1009589441998884864

I haven't watched any of Anita's stuff since Tropes vs Video Games ended either, since I don't really have any interest. I didn't watch any of the Pop Culture Detective that have been posted either, because I absolutely can't stand McIntosh.

some of his stuff is ok. the stormtrooper video has some good points. its just, you know, being a self aggrandizing puritan douche who online crucifies himself. at least he is fun to laugh at. I personally view tropes as kinda neutral while he views alot of stuff still through the evangelical lens of black and white.

Sephyr posted:

Your South Park Republican has evolved!

You now have a South Park Centrist!

yeah. pretty much.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 22, 2018