Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

No just reinstall. There’s no reason to decrypt it first. Boot into recovery or using a USB stick, open disk utility, format it HFS+, and install. If you have issues with disk utility you might need to go to the command line and use diskutil to get it going again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, decrypting it makes files more recoverable after a wipe...

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Why on earth would anyone use TrueCrypt on a Mac? Or at all, given the well publicized trust issues

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BobHoward posted:

Why on earth would anyone use TrueCrypt on a Mac? Or at all, given the well publicized trust issues

Yeah, it's a sad state when a closed-source solution from a major corporation is more trustworthy.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

anyone an AppleScript wiz? I want to change my safari downloads folder to be ~/Downloads/$date, obviously changing it every day. I download a bunch of duplicate poo poo for work and breaking it up into days would help me figure out what the gently caress I was doing yesterday.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

jaegerx posted:

anyone an AppleScript wiz? I want to change my safari downloads folder to be ~/Downloads/$date, obviously changing it every day. I download a bunch of duplicate poo poo for work and breaking it up into days would help me figure out what the gently caress I was doing yesterday.

You might consider also posting this in the Apple Development thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400187

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol there's at least 2 users trolling the Macrumors Mojave patching thread for unsupported Macs. Something about violating the EULA. Some people have such a weird sense of morality/loyalty/poes law.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol there's at least 2 users trolling the Macrumors Mojave patching thread for unsupported Macs. Something about violating the EULA. Some people have such a weird sense of morality/loyalty/poes law.

I imagine these people constantly walking around with their back hunched in the most servile posture possible, craving punishment from their betters

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol yeah, that's sad. Those patches are usually hacky and have drawbacks, I'd never use them but... Jeez let em do their thing, you're not Apple's lawyers :psyduck:

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’m pretty sure I’ve broken every EULA I’ve ever agreed to.

E: I’ve also never read a EULA, but I assume I’m breaking them somehow.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Last Chance posted:

Lol yeah, that's sad. Those patches are usually hacky and have drawbacks, I'd never use them but... Jeez let em do their thing, you're not Apple's lawyers :psyduck:

I'm sure Apple doesn't give a poo poo. They've taken no action to shutdown the Hackintosh community.

If people are willing to put up with the absolute ball ache of janky kexts and every minor update breaking something then let them. It makes the Mac experience stand up all the more, even with <keyboard baiting shitpost>.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Theophany posted:

I'm sure Apple doesn't give a poo poo. They've taken no action to shutdown the Hackintosh community.

If people are willing to put up with the absolute ball ache of janky kexts and every minor update breaking something then let them. It makes the Mac experience stand up all the more, even with <keyboard baiting shitpost>.

Actually there was a company that was making USB boot memory sticks that allowed loading OSX on any PC without modifications. They got sued into bankruptcy.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah Apple only seem to care if you’re making money off of it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Evis posted:

Yeah Apple only seem to care if you’re making money off of it.

They nailed the F.lux people too for trying to bullshit Xcode into sideloading precompiled apps. The dev agreement doesn’t let you distribute compiled bundles outside the App Store (unless you’re a freak and figure out how to map all the system calls at runtime without even looking at libc), but they ignore Cydia and other third-party app stores for doing the same thing. Last I checked, pretty much all those stores but Cydia were dumpster fires of malicious ads, game cheats, and cracked software, so I’m surprised Apple hasn’t done anything.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I’m not really sure if this is a hardware or software problem at this point. I posted a while back about my early 2011 MacBook Pro 15” which I had replaced the battery in. Kernel_task ends up utilizing like 800-1000% CPU after it runs for a bit, to the point where even moving the pointer lags and using the system is pretty much impossible.

I decided to completely wipe it and start from scratch. Did an internet restore to 10.7 (which is what it came with). Ran fine there, no issue. Upgraded from that to El Capitan and it took a really long time to do the upgrade but seemed to run fine afterwards. So, finally I upgrade to current release of High Sierra and it has started doing it again.

I restarted it in safe mode and it does not seem to have the issue there. So I am thinking it is software related. There are a lot of posts online pointing at it either being a faulty battery or a disconnected temperature sensor as well. I did notice the fans do not seem to kick on, but the laptop isn’t getting appreciably hot when this is happening.

The battery I installed in it came from Amazon, it’s not an OEM battery. It had good reviews. (This laptop was a freebie with a bad battery so I was just basically trying to get it going to see if it was worth selling). I used the same brand battery in my wife’s early 2012 MacBook Pro and have had no issues with it at all.

So, I’m kind of stumped. Is there a good free diagnostic tool out there that can tell me if the temperature sensors are working?

Also is there a command line type thing that can tell me what kernel_task is doing?

Before someone says it is Spotlight indexing, when I had this problem initially a few months ago I let it sit running for several days and saw no change in the behavior.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

jaegerx posted:

Also worth looking into Hazel and Maid.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Grassy Knowles posted:

Also worth looking into Hazel and Maid.

Perfect. Thanks. My bash hack can die.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/chrismorrisorg/status/1007624246103715841?s=21

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Icon layout based on Brownian motion. It’s all I’ve ever dreamt of.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
No "Arrange by penis" no care. :colbert:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

No "Arrange by penis" no care. :colbert:

If you have enough monkeys at enough typewriters ...

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

jaegerx posted:

I’m fairly certain this would be possible using automator to make a folder service. I used it to automatically move some downloaded files into folders by type, so I assume doing the same by date would be pretty simple.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hmmmm

code:
~$ defaults write $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari DownloadsPath ~/Downloads/`date "+%d%m%y"`
~$ defaults read $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari DownloadsPath
/Users/Pivo/Downloads/230618
Unfortunately when you start Safari it doesn't respect this and still downloads to ~/Downloads. If you can figure out how to get Safari to reload the plist, you can just use launchd to run the script every day at midnight.

Enemu
May 31, 2014
So I'm using a usb c dock for my MBP and have it hooked up through HDMI to a dell monitor. Works great, BUT when I'm trying to route sound through it, in sound preferences it shows the monitor but only as DisplayPort, not as HDMI. I did use a usb-c to DisplayPort cable first to test it with refresh rate, but I don't know how to force preferences to route sound through HDMI. Any suggestions?

I've restarted, unplugged, blah blah blah.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Enemu posted:

So I'm using a usb c dock for my MBP and have it hooked up through HDMI to a dell monitor. Works great, BUT when I'm trying to route sound through it, in sound preferences it shows the monitor but only as DisplayPort, not as HDMI. I did use a usb-c to DisplayPort cable first to test it with refresh rate, but I don't know how to force preferences to route sound through HDMI. Any suggestions?

I've restarted, unplugged, blah blah blah.

That’s as intended. I don’t know how the technical side works, but in my experience, all USB-C AV stuff is really just DisplayPort-whatever stuff. Your DisplayPort audio should just work as you expect HDMI to though.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
So I'm finally going on a trip and realizing I've not gotten my VPN stuff figured out. (which could be problematic if I don't tackle it)

I'll admit it's been a little bit since I last did my research and thought due to the timeframe I'm dealing with if there were any suggestions? Obviously NordVPN has a deal for us which is neat so, if anyone uses one and has some advice, I'd be most grateful.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I used PIA for a while and liked it.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Pivo posted:

I used PIA for a while and liked it.

That looks promising and it's nice to see that "pay with a gift card" option. Was it fairly easy to use overall for you? (Did you switch to something you liked better from your comment?)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Seiyal posted:

That looks promising and it's nice to see that "pay with a gift card" option. Was it fairly easy to use overall for you? (Did you switch to something you liked better from your comment?)

It was trivial. I set it up with Viscosity which is a great cross-platform VPN client. I used it to get around geofences and to test it out (to see if speeds were majorly affected, if I could get all my machines running a nice client that stays out of your way, etc). I wasn't using it much though and got rid of the monthly fee and haven't missed it. At least I know it's there if I need it.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Pivo posted:

It was trivial. I set it up with Viscosity which is a great cross-platform VPN client. I used it to get around geofences and to test it out (to see if speeds were majorly affected, if I could get all my machines running a nice client that stays out of your way, etc). I wasn't using it much though and got rid of the monthly fee and haven't missed it. At least I know it's there if I need it.

Hmm, that's not a terrible option and I can just use an old gift card to pay for access to see if it works too, not bad.

I'll take a look at it, thanks for the help!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tuyop posted:

That’s as intended. I don’t know how the technical side works, but in my experience, all USB-C AV stuff is really just DisplayPort-whatever stuff. Your DisplayPort audio should just work as you expect HDMI to though.

I play audio over my Acer monitor using HDMI and Apple's USB-C adapter

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I play audio over my Acer monitor using HDMI and Apple's USB-C adapter

And it says HDMI in the audio menu? All mine, which are third party, just say DisplayPort as the audio output.

Enemu
May 31, 2014
That's bizarre. I'm pretty bummed out about it, the speakers suck but it saves me having to pair a bluetooth speaker or something.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Enemu posted:

That's bizarre. I'm pretty bummed out about it, the speakers suck but it saves me having to pair a bluetooth speaker or something.

Wait, and the speakers don’t work?

Give soundflower a try, I used this guide: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-enable-mac-volume-control-for-hdmi-or-displaypor-1793607216

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a simple way to copy an entire iMovie project from one computer to another using a USB drive?

I want to benchmark iMovie export speed on a couple Macs but I don't get iMovie and Libraries and Events. I can move the clips but not the project itself with all the text titles, transitions, backgrounds...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a simple way to copy an entire iMovie project from one computer to another using a USB drive?

I want to benchmark iMovie export speed on a couple Macs but I don't get iMovie and Libraries and Events. I can move the clips but not the project itself with all the text titles, transitions, backgrounds...

Just copy the library and open copied library in iMovie on the new computer.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Wait, and the speakers don’t work?

Give soundflower a try, I used this guide: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-enable-mac-volume-control-for-hdmi-or-displaypor-1793607216
Let me save everyone here a lot of time and recommend Sound Control: https://staticz.com/soundcontrol/

I use this to enable volume control of sound through my HDMI monitor connected to my Mini, though I’m sure the app is also capable of handling volume control of all output types.

Soundflower is woefully out of date and I wouldn’t be surprised if it stops working entirely with future versions of macOS. Sound Control sees regular updates, though, and so I think they’re more than worth the couple bucks they want for the full version.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IAmKale posted:

Let me save everyone here a lot of time and recommend Sound Control: https://staticz.com/soundcontrol/

I use this to enable volume control of sound through my HDMI monitor connected to my Mini, though I’m sure the app is also capable of handling volume control of all output types.

Soundflower is woefully out of date and I wouldn’t be surprised if it stops working entirely with future versions of macOS. Sound Control sees regular updates, though, and so I think they’re more than worth the couple bucks they want for the full version.

It was always super janky for me, soundflower works almost perfectly for now!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
FWIW once it was set up I haven't had any issues with SoundFlower/Bed, even through the big upgrades. But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it broke on any given update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemu
May 31, 2014

IAmKale posted:

Still just showing displayport, just can't get it to force HDMI.