Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does anyone know anything of the arcane magic powering the swipe text on the touch keyboard and whether there is any way to get it to actually work consistently, because right now it is totally random whether it lets me swipe words or just selects a single letter.
It's broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Follow-up on UPS chat: I bought the BX850 for my desktop PC/monitor and the BGE90M for my internet/network gear. Both are APC brand. Everything's hooked up and running fine. I tested the battery performance on both and no issues. Even though I was only able to push the BX850 to less than half-load (200W) by plugging in my speakers playing loud music (which I normally won't have hooked to the battery), and cranking the graphical settings in WoW to max and standing in a lower-performance area, it drained the battery FAST. Like, 5 minutes tops under those conditions. I'm imagining a life of about 30 seconds at full load, which is merely a tiny fraction of what they advertise. I didn't buy it to be able to play games extensively during a power outage, though. I just want it to protect my poo poo from corruption so I can shut everything down properly. For that it will be perfectly fine.

There's also an audible buzz when it's running on battery. Anyone know if that's normal? I've heard of these things giving off an odor sometimes, and I didn't notice anything like that.

Finally, I'm not using their PowerChute software. It apparently has not been updated in ages, won't let you install/uninstall unless the unit is hooked up, and overrides the Windows power settings with some hosed up hibernation poo poo. I used the supplied USB cable to connect it and Windows activated everything it needs to. Under the Windows power options, I set the PC to shut down completely when there's 5% battery remaining (now that I've tested it under load, I might move that to 10%). That's all I need from it. I think with PowerChute you can modify the behavior of the alarm buzzer on the UPS, but it has a mute button on the unit so that takes care of that.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 6, 2018

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Yeah, the buzz is pretty common when the rectifier circuits are firing in my experience. Runtime on full load is what you'd expect too, the runtimes they advertise are based on an "average" load that is usually a fraction of the total peak output it can support. I would have it shut down (or suspend since it will write out the hiberfil) well before 10%, maybe 25. The calibration on those runtime and % numbers can be wildly inaccurate if you don't do load-testing on a regular basis for calibration (PowerChute will help with this) and it might end up shutting off on you before it can complete the shutdown.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm on a NVMe SSD. Shutdown takes about 5 seconds. It used to take like, 2 until last year's Anniversary Update, go figure.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Less Windows and more battery, but: I have a couple laptop/netbooks I rarely if ever use. Is there anything I can do to keep the batteries from degrading prematurely from disuse? I don't wanna be constantly plugging and unplugging them and doing upkeep like that if I don't have to.

Like I only even power them up when I travel, which is like monthly at most.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Javid posted:

Less Windows and more battery, but: I have a couple laptop/netbooks I rarely if ever use. Is there anything I can do to keep the batteries from degrading prematurely from disuse? I don't wanna be constantly plugging and unplugging them and doing upkeep like that if I don't have to.

Like I only even power them up when I travel, which is like monthly at most.

Charge/discharge cycles put more wear on them than sitting idle, so leaving them sitting around doing nothing is actually the best thing possible. L-ion batteries have maximum shelf life if stored with 50-75% charge. Just use it for an hour or whatever until it's at 75% and then shut it down and put it away, easy peasy.

However, l-ion is also inherently unstable so even with ideal storage they still lose capacity over time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Windows decided on its own that I was running low on disk space and enabled a space saving measure that deleted all local photos that had a copy on Onedrive, breaking preview in the photos app (!), forcing me to download the full copy whenever I wanted to view one.

Could have asked at least, chucklefucks. I'd never really have noticed or cared if my photos app hadn't been full of black rectangles and slow as molasses.

You can disable this in the Onedrive settings.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to install Windows 10 without external media? I've been meaning to switch my laptop back to Windows, but we went on vacation and I forgot the thumb drive I'd installed the media tool on.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

Is there a way to install Windows 10 without external media? I've been meaning to switch my laptop back to Windows, but we went on vacation and I forgot the thumb drive I'd installed the media tool on.

If you have any USB drive whose data you don't care about (at least 5 GB, though you'd be hard pressed to find flash drives that aren't powers of 2 (so 8 GB)), you can get the ISO from the same web site that gives you the Media Creation Tool when you're using Windows. Format the USB drive FAT32, copy the entire contents of the ISO over, and boot off it. EFI took a lot of funky things out of creating boot drives.

If not, you'll have to wait, although unless you're well off the beaten path you can probably just buy a flash drive to do this.

Or, in your specific case, you can just put up with not-Windows while you're vacationing? The vacation part seems like the priority.

mystes
May 31, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

If you have any USB drive whose data you don't care about (at least 5 GB, though you'd be hard pressed to find flash drives that aren't powers of 2 (so 8 GB)), you can get the ISO from the same web site that gives you the Media Creation Tool when you're using Windows. Format the USB drive FAT32, copy the entire contents of the ISO over, and boot off it. EFI took a lot of funky things out of creating boot drives.

If not, you'll have to wait, although unless you're well off the beaten path you can probably just buy a flash drive to do this.

Or, in your specific case, you can just put up with not-Windows while you're vacationing? The vacation part seems like the priority.
I wonder if you could do this from 5GB FAT32 partition on your hard disk if you were really determined.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

mystes posted:

I wonder if you could do this from 5GB FAT32 partition on your hard disk if you were really determined.

That's remarkably similar to how built-in laptop recovery works, although it's usually an archive of the model image from the factory and such a partition might also be an NTFS WinPE thing, or something stranger.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So what's the latest info on how to upgrade your hardware while keeping your free W10 upgrade license? Was the "digital license tied to your account" gimmick an actual thing, or do I have to buy a new license for this?

E: Windows says my key is tied to my acount. Sounds like all the more reason to not uninstall the license, but that will still create a conflict when I load up my new installation when the key is taken and unreclaimable.

Since I’m installing this on a new drive, I also won’t be doing a reset/format.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 22, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Try microsoft online chat. They reactivated mine when I changed motherboards.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Try microsoft online chat. They reactivated mine when I changed motherboards.
I tried finding it inside Windows but couldn’t; did you go through the website?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I got to it via the activation tool in Windows, I just built the new PC and tried to activate it with my ms account. It didn't work, but gave me a link to online chat.

They were good tbh.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah same, the guy remoted in and ran that one command and it was done

I forget how I got to it on the website though🤔

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
have they finally stopped handing out free upgrades if you use a win7/8 key?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Klyith posted:

have they finally stopped handing out free upgrades if you use a win7/8 key?

No. Windows 10 is more of an advertising platform than an OS so they want you to have it. You can still upgrade from pirated activated Win 8 and activate 10 last I heard. I have to imagine they might be putting some asterisks in those activation entries though so maybe just get a key.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is the "April" update okay to install now? No more Chrome crashing or audio driver issues? Or hibernation/sleep issues? I've avoided feature updates on my desktop and laptop for months.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is the "April" update okay to install now? No more Chrome crashing or audio driver issues? Or hibernation/sleep issues? I've avoided feature updates on my desktop and laptop for months.

Just make sure your stuff is backed up in case it makes your pc unbootable and you have to reinstall.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I was wondering for a while now why my NAS doesn't show up in the Network tree in Explorer. Turns out, SMB1 was axed a while ago, which the computer browsing stuff relied on, and now does discovery of SMB capable servers only via WS-Discovery, which Samba doesn't do (yet). You could reinstall SMB1 via the features thingy, but it's exploitable as hell apparently. Meh.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Some multi monitor issues. This is my work laptop which, a Dell Precision E-something with the E-View pro dock. It is still running 16299 and I have no say on when it updates.

I have a pair of Hazro HZ26Wi monitors and also use the laptop screen. When the monitors go into powersave mode, they show the "going to sleep message" then turn off the backlights, upon turning off the system plays the device disconnect sound, immediately followed by the device connect sound, and the backlight on my primary monitor turns back on. When I wake up the system, everything on my secondary monitor has moved to the primary. Stuff on the laptop screen is unaffected. It's annoying AF. Currently I'm using an autohotkey script pinned to the taskbar to move things, but is there a proper fix?

Also someone in this thread about 40 pages back posted a piece of software that sorts out the issue with the mouse pointer crossing to a new monitor of a different size, making it so you can line them up and have the pointer cross to the correct physical location. Anyone remember what that was called?

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up
Since I recently moved back to Win 10 after a few years on Mac OS, could someone recommend a program that makes multiple monitors + virtual desktops/workspaces work like they do on Mac?

Basically I'd like each monitor to have its own virtual desktop when extended. When I switch between desktops on Monitor 1, i would like Monitor 2 to stay on the desktop it's currently on. Any way to make this happen?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Lum posted:

Also someone in this thread about 40 pages back posted a piece of software that sorts out the issue with the mouse pointer crossing to a new monitor of a different size, making it so you can line them up and have the pointer cross to the correct physical location. Anyone remember what that was called?

oh my god does such a magical thing exist?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I was wondering for a while now why my NAS doesn't show up in the Network tree in Explorer. Turns out, SMB1 was axed a while ago, which the computer browsing stuff relied on, and now does discovery of SMB capable servers only via WS-Discovery, which Samba doesn't do (yet). You could reinstall SMB1 via the features thingy, but it's exploitable as hell apparently. Meh.

Yeah, I went nuts after the update that turned off SMB1 by default, WHERES MY loving NAS GODDAMNIT, IT WAS HERE 45MINUTES AGO? I eventually found instructions on how to fix it, but holy poo poo that was a frustrating hour.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Is dragging around the monitors' relative locations in the Display Settings inadequate?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, I went nuts after the update that turned off SMB1 by default, WHERES MY loving NAS GODDAMNIT, IT WAS HERE 45MINUTES AGO? I eventually found instructions on how to fix it, but holy poo poo that was a frustrating hour.
You re-enabled SMB1? I'd prefer for Samba to do WS-Discovery, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

You re-enabled SMB1? I'd prefer for Samba to do WS-Discovery, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I don't know why Netbios, which the network neighbourhood uses, is dependent on SMB1. There really is no need for it to be.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I’m still running WHS V1(Server 2003, basically)so my hands are tied at the moment, but I’m building a new NAS using WHS 2011 which uses SMB 2.0, it’ll be done soon.

It’s a home NAS with nothing important on it, just music and movies and a few games, but I’m not happy with SMB 1.0’s insecurities either.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lum posted:

I have a pair of Hazro HZ26Wi monitors and also use the laptop screen. When the monitors go into powersave mode, they show the "going to sleep message" then turn off the backlights, upon turning off the system plays the device disconnect sound, immediately followed by the device connect sound, and the backlight on my primary monitor turns back on. When I wake up the system, everything on my secondary monitor has moved to the primary. Stuff on the laptop screen is unaffected. It's annoying AF. Currently I'm using an autohotkey script pinned to the taskbar to move things, but is there a proper fix?
This is essentially a hardware issue. The cause is that when your monitors are going to sleep they're using the Hot Plug Detect to tell the computer they're powering down, which the computer interprets as a disconnection so it removes the displays from availability.

It's possible the monitors might allow you to turn off HPD which will stop this communication, and if you're using HDMI I believe you can physically sabotage the cable pins.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It is also called turning off power saving mode on the monitor itself.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Lum posted:

Deviant posted:

oh my god does such a magical thing exist?
https://github.com/mgth/LittleBigMouse

astral posted:

Is dragging around the monitors' relative locations in the Display Settings inadequate?
That only works if your monitors have the same or at least a reasonably similar DPI. If you for example place a 4K screen next to an physically equally sized normal one then moving the mouse from the 4K display to the other will act as if there's a gate blocking you at the top and bottom of the screen border (or wherever, depending on how you arranged the screens in the Display Settings).

SirViver fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 25, 2018

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So I have this 1 TB external HDD. Half of it was Bitlocker encrypted, half wasn't. I didn't have enough space on the clear-text one so I wanted to change the ratio to 25/75. I shrunk the BL partition no problem. I know have an extra 200 GB to allocate. I want to extend the unencrypted partition using that extra space. Except Windows won't let me, the "Extend volume" entry stays greyed out in the Disk Management interface:

What do I do?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Furism posted:

So I have this 1 TB external HDD. Half of it was Bitlocker encrypted, half wasn't. I didn't have enough space on the clear-text one so I wanted to change the ratio to 25/75. I shrunk the BL partition no problem. I know have an extra 200 GB to allocate. I want to extend the unencrypted partition using that extra space. Except Windows won't let me, the "Extend volume" entry stays greyed out in the Disk Management interface:

What do I do?

Windows disk tool can only expand partitions to space that is to the right (after) the partition. There's no way to expand it using space on the left (before). There may be a third party utility that can accomplish this, maybe someone knows of one and can post it. But it's much harder to add space from before the start than it is to add space after the end.

Given that it's just 400GB of data, it might be a lot faster to move everything out of G:, delete G:, then make a new partition on all that freed up space. Then copy the files back.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

xamphear posted:

Windows disk tool can only expand partitions to space that is to the right (after) the partition. There's no way to expand it using space on the left (before). There may be a third party utility that can accomplish this, maybe someone knows of one and can post it. But it's much harder to add space from before the start than it is to add space after the end.

Given that it's just 400GB of data, it might be a lot faster to move everything out of G:, delete G:, then make a new partition on all that freed up space. Then copy the files back.

Oh. Ok. Is there a reason for that limitation? Just wondering.

Other than that, yeah sure I'll do what you suggested :(

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Furism posted:

Make sure you copy everything, even stuff with the hidden bit set. My lost data still pains me. :(

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I used Aomei partition manager in the distant past. But I wouldn't recommend doing anything like it without backup anyway, so I'm not sure it will save time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Furism posted:

The tl;dr version is that expanding a partition "to the right" is pretty much just a matter of updating the partition table and maybe some metadata depending on the filesystem in use. Expanding it "to the left" involves moving all of the header data and editing any data that's based on the offset from the beginning of the partition. The former is pretty much impossible to screw up, the latter has a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Furism posted:

I have used EaseUs for this before without issue.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

(but do back it up first)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I installed windows 10 to a SSD, with my old install still intact on the older drive(I think that may be relevant).

Now, programs in the new install say they don't have permission to access a seperate, third non-OS hard drive.

First time I've seen this.