Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

And a very not-subtle jab at Sony
This is a much more explicit jab at Sony
https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/1009798231449067521
(It's also on Nintendo's Youtube page)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a PS4 owner, and a big fan of the console itself, gently caress sony. Between this and Rocket League Crossplay, and Fortnite crossplay and account issues. gently caress them.

I created a new Fortnite account for my Switch, logged my PC into it and uninstalled the game from my PS4

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Yeah, after making pretty much all the right moves this generation, Sony has well and truly dropped the ball with crossplay. As bad at that is in and of itself, there was ZERO reason for them to do that, especially since UbiSoft was already doing that on PS4 with their VR-PSVR offerings. The PS4 has had fantastic hardware and software sales figures the whole generation through, so it's not like there could possibly be a fear of cannibalization. AND they jumped on the practice of having multiplayer be locked behind a PS+ subscription so that's guaranteed revenue right there anyway.

Whatever, at least Nintendo isn't the one bungling things for their own customer base these days!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sony doesn't consider pc to be competing with them. That's why pc games get cross play just fine.

The problem is they don't want to open it up to Xbox or Nintendo.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As a PS4 owner, and a big fan of the console itself, gently caress sony. Between this and Rocket League Crossplay, and Fortnite crossplay and account issues. gently caress them.

I've had some really positive experiences with Rocket League, the Switch, and Steam, so I'm a big fan of crossplay

Rocket League needs to hurry up and get their unified account system up and running though, so we can finally party up with friends on different platforms against strangers

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So Xbox Rocket League players simply see Nintendo cars online when doing cross play?

I guess it shouldn't be a problem, but I'd be very slightly annoyed to look at content online that I can't play.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

So Xbox Rocket League players simply see Nintendo cars online when doing cross play?

I guess it shouldn't be a problem, but I'd be very slightly annoyed to look at content online that I can't play.

Nah, they don't, anybody in a Mario car will be in the Octane on their screens (this is how it worked between Switch and Steam), unless something has changed

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ineffiable posted:

Sony doesn't consider pc to be competing with them. That's why pc games get cross play just fine.

The problem is they don't want to open it up to Xbox or Nintendo.

They're also not cool with someone spending Fortnite bucks on Xbox for skins that they can then use on PS4 with no strings attached.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ChaosArgate posted:

They're also not cool with someone spending Fortnite bucks on Xbox for skins that they can then use on PS4 with no strings attached.

but they're totally fine with people spending fortnite bucks on PC or mobile skins that they can use on PS4 with no strings attached. It's a fully anti-consumer decision in the service of flipping off their console market competitors.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Who the gently caress wants to play cross-platform with pc nerds competitively anyways? Mouse and keyboard is going to win every time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Who the gently caress wants to play cross-platform with pc nerds competitively anyways? Mouse and keyboard is going to win every time.

If someone doesn't have a good pc and they have a friend who doesn't have a console but does have a good pc, it's nice to have that option even if one person is playing at a disadvantage.

Plus, fortnite is fair about cross play. For a console player to get matched with pc users they either have to intentionally opt in, or party up with someone who is playing on pc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Until Fortnite Switch gets gyro, I dont want to play with PC tryhards unless I am also tryharding on a PC

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Tryharding in Fortnight means dabbing twice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fortnite tryharding is doing the crazy legs maneuver while healing inside a box

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That Flashback re-release has a mode with "cleaned up" art

Which looks like hot rear end!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cool its the "every early emulator" filter that smears all the pixels becasue for some reason devs thought people didnt like the sharp pixels

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I should say that's just one mode, there's a regular version of the game too, though the store entry makes it seem if you want any of the extra features you have to deal with that art, in Flashback, a game remembered primarily for its art

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The same people who play PUBG and Fortnite on their phone against PC players. They're not playing it because it's the best possible experience, they're playing because they have fun playing the game no matter what form it takes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

deadly_pudding posted:

but they're totally fine with people spending fortnite bucks on PC or mobile skins that they can use on PS4 with no strings attached. It's a fully anti-consumer decision in the service of flipping off their console market competitors.

It's real cool amidst all of this Sony is apparently gonna launch a Fornite PS4 bundle with an exclusive skin.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agent Escalus posted:

Yeah, after making pretty much all the right moves this generation, Sony has well and truly dropped the ball with crossplay. As bad at that is in and of itself, there was ZERO reason for them to do that, especially since UbiSoft was already doing that on PS4 with their VR-PSVR offerings. The PS4 has had fantastic hardware and software sales figures the whole generation through, so it's not like there could possibly be a fear of cannibalization. AND they jumped on the practice of having multiplayer be locked behind a PS+ subscription so that's guaranteed revenue right there anyway.

Whatever, at least Nintendo isn't the one bungling things for their own customer base these days!

i don't like Sony because they haven't released a game I care about in 3+ years

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

In Training posted:

i don't like Sony because they haven't released a game I care about in 3+ years

I don’t like them because I never liked their controllers. Bloodborne looks good though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's real cool amidst all of this Sony is apparently gonna launch a Fornite PS4 bundle with an exclusive skin.

loving lol bundling a console with a free game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

please, be generous. it also comes with $5 worth of f2p currency

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They still sell boxed copies of Fortnite at retail stores.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kaubocks posted:

Hey it comes with that game mode no one talks about, which usually retails for about $40.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shoehead posted:

It's absolutely insane that they're charging £18 for this.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hey it comes with that game mode no one talks about, which usually retails for about $40.

i had completely forgotten this existed lol, i will concede that fact

that said, as you say, nobody is interested in the "main game" of fortnite

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shoehead posted:

But how bad does Mike Aruba look.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah it's insane we're not paying 70€ for this.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, it's like they think it's 2006 when digital re-issues of old games was new territory for the industry, digital-only sales figures were starting to catch up to physical, and we put up with inflated Virtual Console prices because we thought that's how it was going to be. "$5 for an NES game?! Eh, whatever." And then the race-to-the-bottom pricing on mobile and digital storefronts really kicked in just a couple years after that...

Flashback itself already had a premium iOS port about a decade ago and its price sure as hell wasn't that high. (And who wants to bet that it got pulled down because it doesn't even work anymore? Apple sucks for backwards compatibility ever since they went to 64-bit.) They could've at least thrown in Fade to Black, too!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I typically don't like cross-platform with pc in games because of potential hacking issues. (unless the game gives the option to turn on/off cross platform play.) I doesn't seem like an issue in Fortnite but if a game like Star Wars Battlefront had cross platform play, it would have been dead even faster.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is cheating still a big issue with modern pc games?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had to play Dark Souls Remastered offline because I got hacked within 2 hours of starting a new character on launch day, rendering the only selling point of the pc version pointless.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

varies by game, the division was client-authoritative lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SeANMcBAY posted:

PUBG had (maybe still has) a massive problem with cheaters for a long time because they didn't use Steam's anti-cheat stuff.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

PUBG had (maybe still has) a massive problem with cheaters for a long time because they didn't use Steam's anti-cheat stuff.

there will always be cheating in every game ever, there is still cheating in steam anti-cheat games. PUBG's 'massive' problem was greatly over exaggerated though as far as I could tell. I have something like 1000 hours in that game and I've seen less than ten cheaters. Which is way less in the same amount of time with games like counter-strike or team fortress or dota 2. Its mainly just a problem of a game becoming popular, the more popular a video game is the more popular the cheats are going to be and on top of that the people that make the good cheats charge for them so its a constant battle between the various anti-cheat programs and the hack programmers.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
He wasn't the only one, but there was a really popular TF2 server back around 2007-2010 that had some problems with that. Not epidemic, but some of the most regular players did it including, at times, the owner of the server who now works for Valve. There was one guy who played nothing but Sniper who I loathed and constantly said was cheating... everyone laughed at me and accused me of sour grapes. I loathe snipers in TF2 and I don't mind admitting it, but I knew this guy was doing things that were beyond human ability. I stopped playing TF2 when it became all about the hats, but I caught up with some former servermates and a couple of them admitted that he was caught using a really sophisticated aimbot, which really made me feel vindicated.

On that same server, we had another guy who was a pro-level player who played nothing but scout. People would constantly remark on how you could seem to do huge damage to him and he would never die, but he often had a pocket medic and nobody could prove anything. He was also an admin and could get away with poo poo. I freely admit to not being very good, but I knew that he was taking the piss when I was playing Spy and I was nowhere near him, standing still and with a full charge of the watch that has unlimited cloaking if you aren't moving. He came out of a gate, ran right up to my supposedly invisible self and blew me away. I don't think he ever was banned on that server because of his admin status, but I had the misfortune of seeing him again on another favourite server of mine. I told one of the admins to keep an eye out for him and he ended up getting banned due to some kind of hack that fiddled with the network latency to slow the game down on his end somehow. I'm not sure how that works, but it was very gratifying to see cheaters get caught.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

there will always be cheating in every game ever, there is still cheating in steam anti-cheat games. PUBG's 'massive' problem was greatly over exaggerated though as far as I could tell. I have something like 1000 hours in that game and I've seen less than ten cheaters. Which is way less in the same amount of time with games like counter-strike or team fortress or dota 2. Its mainly just a problem of a game becoming popular, the more popular a video game is the more popular the cheats are going to be and on top of that the people that make the good cheats charge for them so its a constant battle between the various anti-cheat programs and the hack programmers.

It's not something I ever really run into on consoles

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

the minecraft update seems pretty good, apart from it feezing after a couple hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Agent Escalus posted:

Yeah, it's like they think it's 2006 when digital re-issues of old games was new territory for the industry, digital-only sales figures were starting to catch up to physical, and we put up with inflated Virtual Console prices because we thought that's how it was going to be. "$5 for an NES game?! Eh, whatever." And then the race-to-the-bottom pricing on mobile and digital storefronts really kicked in just a couple years after that...

I'm all for companies charging £25 for HD ports of older games because work went into those that justifies the price, but charging nearly that much for a straight port of the original game onto the Switch, with a lovely half-assed blur filter option on top, is just stupid.

The ~£6-£7 price for Arcade Archives titles is a perfectly fine price-point for retro ports of good games, IMO.