Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Shadow225 posted:

What are some hidden gems that dropped in the last 2-3 years? I need to add things to my cart and hem and haw about

INSIDE, Brigador, Pyre. None of those really feel "hidden" to me, but I can imagine them flying under the radar of someone who doesn't follow this thread.

What are your interests?

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hidden Gems on Steam

As selected by me and my weird taste.

Alvora Tactics - believe it or not I like it better than Voidspire Tactics. You assemble a team of fantasy people, go into randomly generated dungeons, and try to get deeper while collecting loot and gold and exp. The strengths from Voidspire are back - you can freeze water to walk over it, set fire to the grass, etc, and the combat is fun! It's like Final Fantasy Tactics but focused entirely on combat, and it's cool.

Copy Kitty - Okay, it's been posted about in here before, but it's still an incredible combat platformer with some fascinating weapon combinations and roughly a bazillion levels. Go, enjoy!

Hakuoki - I like visual novels, this one is fun. It's been split into two pieces for the PC port, but I've played the entire thing back when it was on the PSP and loved it enough to grab it again. You're a girl in Japan, you get swept up into a band of samurai known as the Shinsengumi, you learn about Japanese history, but now there are vampires involved. It's a melodrama and you get to pick which samurai you wanna date, and hey, it's good fun!

Logistical is still one of my favorite puzzle games. You untangle supply trains and get like 50 tons of eggs to towns and it's really, really soothing to play. And the developer keeps tuning the UI and adding more stuff, so there's always more to do!

NeonXSZ - A flying game! It's very arcadey, you're in a computer(?) and fighting viruses(?) - - listen, it's full of neon colors and you can fly fast and you have to be careful about wandering into zones because there's a surprisingly robust little society of ships in there, and some can ruin you. You have to be a smart hunter and it's cool.

The Sea Will Claim Everything - still one of the best point n' click reading games on steam, still beautiful.

Slime-san - do you like platformers? Do you like hard platformers, like Super Meat Boy? This is like that, but better and more colorful and with some really cool time-slow-down mechanics.

Strain Tactics - Still one of my favorite tactics games. It's, it's strange and complex and it's some of the most fun I've had organizing squads to kill monsters.

Tangledeep - goonmade roguelike that's got class-switching and all kinds of neat stuff in it!

Low Magic Age - Fantasy tactical combat that's lots of fun and they've added an rpg-esque overworld to it.

Rise to Ruins - Tower defense + village builder = it absorbed me for quite a while, it's got some real interesting decisions in it, and the dev is updating it frequently.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm gonna quote myself from a previous sale because no one is going to notice this game otherwise and it's really clever.

Given all the posts by people wondering what to do with their leftover Steam credit, this one's a no-brainer.

I also was really helped out by this. This game looks really neat and I'm getting it after I've sold off all my cards.

edit: quoted post for those who don't want to go back and read it:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and give a(nother?) shout-out for Recursed, currently on sale for $4 $2.71. It's a basic 2-D puzzle platformer with a simple gimmick: there are treasure chests that you can jump into that contain new rooms, and every time you leave a chest, the room inside resets.

Except you can pick up the chests. And you can put them inside other chests. Or you can take a chest out of another chest and put the second chest inside the first one. And sometimes the chests contain other chests that lead to the room you started in. In later levels you can engineer situations where you try to exit a chest, realize that technically the chest you were in ceased to exist while you were still inside it, create a paradox, and have the game reward you for doing so with bonus levels. Basically, poo poo gets loving weird.

This game is brain-melting. The rules of the game's universe are all extremely simple, but the levels gently caress with your brain in so many fun ways that it's frankly a steal at $4. If you're looking for a cheap puzzle game, I'd highly recommend it.

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 22, 2018

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Kibayasu posted:

The reason I can’t see a price on the Steam Link page is probably because I’m in Canada, yeah? eh?

Apparently they don't ship em outside of the US, so folks like you and I are outta luck.

On a separate note as someone mentioned earlier in the thread: Fanatical actually has the same prices as Steam for pretty much everything, but they also knock another 10% off with a coupon. They've also been super good this year with their 'star deals' where for instance I've managed to get Jackbox Party Packs 1-4 at 5$ each over the months.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Updated list a bit. Feel free to quote and change the coordinates if the tile we're working gets taken or if there's a better tiles.

Don't forget to utilize the auto-click script (check the quoted post at the bottom).

Focus on whichever planet that has the games you want a chance to win, otherwise focus on the most embattled planets.

Pirate's Planet has been taken and has been replaced with "Behind the Screen Planet". Dark Humor Planet is also about to be completely taken over.

LiterallyAnything posted:

Let's start taking over tiles so that we can A) pool our manic-clicking power together, and B) goon swarm this poo poo.

SA Steam Group-
https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791429521483

After you create your alien gladiator and set your flag to the SA group

Bottom leftmost cell = X:1,Y:1

Pirate's Planet-
Easy- X:7, Y:1
Medium-X:7, Y:2
Hard- N/A

Behind the Screen Planet-
Easy- X:10, Y:2
Medium- X:10, Y:3
Hard- X:9, Y:3

Dark Humor Planet-
Easy- X:9, Y:1
Medium- X:8, Y:1
Hard- X:7, Y:1

Mind-Melters Planet-
Easy- X:2, Y:1
Medium- X:3, Y:1
Hard- X:4, Y:1

Fine Art Planet-
Easy- X:7, Y:1
Medium- X:7, Y:2
Hard- X:8, Y:3

Surreal Wanderlust Planet-
Easy- X:5, Y:1
Medium- X:5, Y:2
Hard- X:6, Y:1

BeAuMaN posted:

Sorry just noticed here. I set the autothingie to work on X:2, X:2 Hard already. You can see the goon logo there, so that might as well be the new hard target if people are going to tryhard or something.

I like this script: https://github.com/ensingm2/saliengame_idler/blob/master/idle.js
...but it lacks all the roving automation stuff, so if the tile finishes, it's not going anywhere until you move it somewhere else. However, You can set it on a tile without having to run any graphics though and it reports progress in the console :toot:

... Which makes it great for running in a window (non-minimized probably?) at work by goons who want to plant a flag on a planet or whatever, and everyone going after the same tile.

Basically: Load game, copy-paste into console, hit start, go to planet, then click tile. Nothing will happen visually, but the console will report "Round successfully started in zone ###"

Alternatively: :effort: This game doesn't have a lot going for it this time. It's not like the last game.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

Just bought rear end Creed: Black Flag plus all the DLC.

I hope it's as great as people say, I only played the first AC and none of the others.

AC 2 + Brotherhood are really fun and you should really try them.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

There was a question about Sword Art Online games last night, and I couldn't post my answer because SA crashed, and now I can't find the post.

In any case, I disliked Hollow Realization enough to write a big review of it on Steam. The one reply it got is pretty funny.

I also recommend Recursed -- it's pretty fun and mindbending. Gateways as well, if mind-bending puzzles is what you're looking for.

Also, goddamn, I forgot how much fun Creeper World is. The first two are $.99 in the sale.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I recommend Monolith.

It's a "Roguelite" style shmup game. The gameplay tends to be at times intense and very challenging, however, the game gives you a VERY generous life gauge, which is accommodating even when you suck at the genre. It doesn't have as much variety as say Binding of Issac or Enter the Gungeon, but definitely has polish and enough substance. It's also only $4 during this sale.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
PC Building Simulator is a lot of guilty fun but I wish they had more chassis with understated looks.

Also this game accurately simulates your CPU HSF blocking clearance for your RAM which is pretty detailed.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Seconding Monolith and Slime-San if you like their respective genres, they're both great games.

Also I picked up Into the Breach (it only had a small discount but I'd decided to get it anyway as a late birthday present to myself) and it's just as good as I'd hoped, I can see myself putting a lot of hours into this.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gonna repeat my hidden gems recommendation:

Aviary Attorney

Ace Attorney on steam. With birds. With the ability to fail a case and keep on playing, with the plot taking your actions into account.

Sorcery

Fabled Lands and Day of the Tentacle had a beautiful baby. Not just a CYOA adaptation, but an amazing expansion that both delves and expands the gameworld, AND has a specific time turning gimmick that is significant to the narrative without taking over it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it explained anywhere how winning a game works? If you win one of the games, do you get to choose which game you want?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

For anyone looking for recommendations on just about anything, I do have a website cataloging some 400+ Steam reviews. You can search it by genre or by rating or browse the many review series I've done like this one I'm in the middle of now.

Speaking of this series, my posts here in the thread are going to get super spotty because I'm going on vacation for the next two weeks. I'll still be around, just from a 10-year-old laptop on the other side of the planet. I've already written and queued up the next five reviews on my site so if you absolutely must know what the FPS of the day is, check there first. I may also have to take a mulligan on the last 2 or 3 games in this series until I get back, but we'll see. After today's title, I'm rather ready for a break.

Oh yeah, this is also my first ever DLC review so I guess I've broken the seal on that. :confuoot:

:bang: FPSummer :bang:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
4. Immortal Redneck
5. Rise of the Triad
6. BioShock Remastered
7. Crysis
8. Hard Reset Redux
9. Far Cry 2
10. Sanctum
11. Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
12. Crysis Warhead
13. BioShock 2 Remastered
14. Receiver
15. Blood and Bacon
16. Far Cry 3
17. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
18. BioShock Infinite
19. Prey
20. Call of Juarez Gunslinger
21. Crysis 2

22. Burial At Sea - Episode One (DLC)

Despite enjoying BioShock Infinite overall, my chief complaint with the game was that it sidestepped a huge amount of potential storytelling to focus on dimension-hopping nonsense. The setting and the gameplay were able to overcome that huge flaw, at least, but not so with Burial at Sea. What starts out as a promising jaunt into an unseen segment of the BioShock universe quickly devolves into a miserable slog through boring levels and an intensely, intensely stupid plot twist built atop the stupidest plot twist in the base game. No amount of Rapture is worth the misery this bite-sized excursion inflicts, or the lack of vision it proffers.

Booker DeWitt, fresh off his swimming lesson at the end of Infinite, is living as a private investigator in the 1950s version of Rapture. Newer, sultrier Elizabeth hires him to find a little girl lost in the city, and you can probably guess how that turns out. Their journey will take them briefly through the bright and thriving halls of Rapture before its fall and into the company of one of the city’s most infamous figures. After that though it’s straight back into ruins and splicer dens in search of their wayward child. You’ll pick up a few new toys along the way and face some old favorites of the underwater metropolis, before having your chair kicked out from under you by an absolute atrocity of an ending.

I gotta tell you, as much as I hated the end of Infinite, it doesn’t hold a candle to the undiluted idiocy of Burial’s ending. Once again Irrational Games had a prime opportunity to explore important character moments and concepts, this time across two universes, and wasted it on expanding the worst part of Infinite’s end. You’re not going to learn a god damned thing about Rapture or any of its inhabitants, it doesn’t answer any of the lingering questions from Infinite, and it doesn’t even expand Elizabeth’s story in any meaningful way. Really all it does is add another facet of misery to Booker’s tale, one that was entirely unnecessary for a character that never got a true denouement to begin with.

Don’t plan on showing up for the gameplay either, because this feels like a Rapture mod for Infinite that was cranked out in a weekend. I’ll grant that the first 15 minutes or so in vibrant, un-spliced Rapture is a pretty nice change of pace, and gives the city the much-needed grounding that Columbia got. But after that you are consigned to spend 90 minutes running around a ruined department store fighting exactly three kinds of splicers. For some reason the encounters are all heavy on enemies and light on ammunition, so much so that I was often starting a fight with no bullets. Vending machines are few and far between as well, which is a huge departure from the overflowing supplies of pretty much every other BioShock outing. Beyond that the environments are sparsely detailed and feel repetitive, and there are no stand-out moments to any of the fights. Even the final boss is something you’ve done a dozen times in the original BioShock.

I honestly can’t imagine what Irrational thought they were accomplishing with this DLC. It expands on the single worst part of Infinite’s story, it drags Rapture into the mess and wastes it, and it offers hugely regressive gameplay that’s sure to disappoint anyone looking for more looting and shooting. The few good bits, the pre-fall Rapture and the new microwave gun, are hardly enough to justify suffering through this. I don’t think there’s anything that can justify this thing, as it only soils what good there is left in the series by association.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
How is Star Ruler 2? Its only $7 but I haven't really heard goons say much about it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Too Shy Guy, can you spoil me on the ending to that DLC? I wanna know just how bad it is.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Are these sales constant till the 5th, or daily?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

When Steam started doing refunds, steam sales became every game going on sale on day one and lasting until the end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

Constant. No flash deals.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are any of the modern space combat games (Elite, Everspace...) particularly suited to controllers, or are they going to have me wishing I had a joystick?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I used to miss the daily deals, but over time I've come to appreciate not having to check in every day to see whether or not the specific game I want is going to be on sale.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Too Shy Guy, can you spoil me on the ending to that DLC? I wanna know just how bad it is.

Booker and Elizabeth descend into Fontaine's sunken department store to find Sally, an orphan that Booker took in and then lost at a gambling house. They find her and of course she's been Little Sister'd and is hiding from them in the vents. Elizabeth demands they flush her out by locking all the vents and cranking the boiler up, which nearly cooks the girl alive.

When Booker tries to pull Sally out of the vent he's reminded of the moment from Infinite when they pulled Anna/Elizabeth through the tear and she got her finger chopped off. Except this time, Comstock loses his grip on Anna and she gets her HEAD chopped off. And it's all from Comstock's point of view, because you're actually a Comstock, not a Booker.

This version of Comstock tried going back to being Booker after that little trauma, and Elizabeth came to find him to remind him of what he did and take revenge for her decapitated alternate self. The Big Daddy you kill in the final fight gets back up and drills your ribcage out. The end!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh. Of course. That justifies everything.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Spaseman posted:

How is Star Ruler 2? Its only $7 but I haven't really heard goons say much about it.

It's one of the genre's best, handling different FTL types, the trade requirements of large empires and resource hunger and diplomacy better than any other. You can genuinely be a diplomatic superpower.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Burial at Sea 2 is somehow worse.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XvglTk9VyU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bad Seafood posted:

I used to miss the daily deals, but over time I've come to appreciate not having to check in every day to see whether or not the specific game I want is going to be on sale.

I think the switch to full-time sales sort of came around at the same time we stopped seeing truly baffling sales on some games. Steam Sales used to be utter havoc as you checked in every 2-4 hours because at some point some recent AAA title might go 75% off for some reason and you hated to miss it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pleads posted:

I think the switch to full-time sales sort of came around at the same time we stopped seeing truly baffling sales on some games. Steam Sales used to be utter havoc as you checked in every 2-4 hours because at some point some recent AAA title might go 75% off for some reason and you hated to miss it.

It was pretty fun, but also really annoying if you had some obligation and you missed a crazy sale.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh. Of course. That justifies everything.

SelenicMartian posted:

Burial at Sea 2 is somehow worse.

Burial at Sea 2 already opened with Elizabeth giving up all her godlike powers and condemning herself to being trapped in Rapture because she feels super sorry for roasting Sally and wants to find her again?

I literally fell asleep at my computer during the stealth sections in the first hour so we're not off to a very good start here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are any of the modern space combat games (Elite, Everspace...) particularly suited to controllers, or are they going to have me wishing I had a joystick?

Haven’t tried them with controllers but I’ve read everspace is fine with one, and I can vouch for both of them on mouse and keyboard so joystick is definitely not required

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hidden Gems on Steam

Low Magic Age - Fantasy tactical combat that's lots of fun and they've added an rpg-esque overworld to it.

How's the loot game in this? I like tactics and stuff but I'm not super fond of games that are super scarce on resources, and some forum posts and reviews say that Adventure Mode's loots are lacking.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Someone sell me on Prey so I can just kick myself into buying it right now. Not the DLC, just the base game. Worth it?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

:worship:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someone sell me on Prey so I can just kick myself into buying it right now. Not the DLC, just the base game. Worth it?

Do you like ***shock games? Prey was tied with my GOTY with Zelda BotW. You can play however you want, you can use the upgrades or not, there's lots of backstory and lots of fun quests.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's worth it. It's basically system shock 3. Amazing atmosphere, good gunplay. Tons of places to explore and ways to go about things. There's a demo, too, iirc.

I think that one has the intro in it? And really the intro sets the theme for the game. It's great.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

Burial at Sea 2 already opened with Elizabeth giving up all her godlike powers and condemning herself to being trapped in Rapture because she feels super sorry for roasting Sally and wants to find her again?

I literally fell asleep at my computer during the stealth sections in the first hour so we're not off to a very good start here.

I'm so excited for you to finish it. I love that fired up review and I look forward to the one for episode 2, because it's even worse.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Did you play System Shock 2? Somehow a proper followup to system shock 2 came out in 2017 of all years. Play it.

If you haven't played System Shock 2....well maybe play that but it's old and hard to get running and maybe you won't believe me but it's great. If you finish or don't feel like that, play Prey. The hook for both is that you wake up somewhere and something messed up has happened and you gotta, if not fix it, get the hell out.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

It gets a lot dumber.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

StrixNebulosa posted:

It is so insanely worth it especially at $15. Its probably the best immersive sim game out there and pretty much excels at every aspect of what those type of games are about.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I heard something about Shadow of War getting a consolidated GOTY type release, is that true? Is the current gold version the definitive edition or is there DLC missing from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, thanks all! Prey has been bought and will be installed very soon. :toot: