Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

yea, Victorian assassins was probably the best period to put them in (though I'll stan for Unity having the best, most wasted, potential) but it was just way too shallow and yea Evie was neat but the contrast of 'beautiful idiot gang boy Jacob' and 'basically just well read with no real glaring flaws Evie' made me never want to play her stuff.

Her melee moves were brutal as gently caress though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sexpig by night posted:

(though I'll stan for Unity having the best, most wasted, potential)
AC:Chronicles is pretty much Wasted Potential: The Series too.

The Templars controlling the East India Company / the British Raj was an amazing idea for a setting and it got pissed away on a mediocre platformer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

yea, Victorian assassins was probably the best period to put them in (though I'll stan for Unity having the best, most wasted, potential) but it was just way too shallow and yea Evie was neat but the contrast of 'beautiful idiot gang boy Jacob' and 'basically just well read with no real glaring flaws Evie' made me never want to play her stuff.

Evie's flaw is her beautiful idiot gang boy brother ruining well-laid plans.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I kinda wanna play Unity now...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Evie's flaw is her beautiful idiot gang boy brother ruining well-laid plans.

God AC games desperately need that kinda dynamic though.

"Alright, here's my careful, well scouted, plan to subtly take control of London from right under the Templars' noses..."

*Jacob is already standing on a stagecoach shooting his pistol at anyone in red while the Rooks hoot and cheer from inside it* "I HOPE IT INVOLVES THIS"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Meh, I liked the Assassin when they were Hashishin fanfiction. They should go full Islamic mysticism with them. :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

Meh, I liked the Assassin when they were Hashishin fanfiction. They should go full Islamic mysticism with them. :shrug:

this would also be extremely good poo poo. Maybe some kinda Berber or Moorish Assassin?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well, thats macintosh for you. the one nitpic that bothered me wasnt the hitman one all the fucktards gurgle about. it was when she mentioned the bioshock games and how the female splicer were erotic and the bordello in 2 was designed to titillated the player. Like seriously? they are loving splicers, they looks like hell, plus the bordello(hell all of rapture in 2 and 1) is depressing as gently caress. people like jon ignore context because sex is bad or something. i sometimes dude probably gelded himself.

here is picture of the titillating splicer women.

This is totally misrepresenting what the argument was, it doesn't matter that the women weren't actually attractive it was the wider context where brutalized female bodies were littered around the level with ridiculously obvious undertones of sexual violence (it is a bordello) while simultaneously invoking traditional sexually titillating imagery through things like their clothing, while the male bodies are conspicuously not treated in that way. The whole thing leans on an uber problematic tendency in games (and lots of other media) to make sexual violence against women a quick and easy shorthand for edgy danger without examining it any particularly deep way. The game even has what's clearly a rape scene happen with a male splicer assaulting a female one with no way for the player character to intervene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i_RPr9DwMA&t=270s

The whole video is trying to get people to move beyond the drat 'Context within the game!' argument since that turns into a shield for almost anything and makes it difficult to talk about things like the odd way action-stealthy games always seem to have a major level set in a Brothel (Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite's DLC, Dishonored, Thief 4, the Saboteur, Hitman Absolution, Deus Ex Human Revolution, a slew of Assassin's Creed games...).

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 22, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

God AC games desperately need that kinda dynamic though.

"Alright, here's my careful, well scouted, plan to subtly take control of London from right under the Templars' noses..."

*Jacob is already standing on a stagecoach shooting his pistol at anyone in red while the Rooks hoot and cheer from inside it* "I HOPE IT INVOLVES THIS"

I didn't mean it as a bad thing. Because, goddamit Jacob, she had a PLAN FOR THIS and now a dozen random thugs are going to be horrifically crippled while she works off that frustration :ohdear:.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MonsieurChoc posted:

sexpig by night posted:

this would also be extremely good poo poo. Maybe some kinda Berber or Moorish Assassin?

I'd love a more in-depth look at the fall of the Assassins to the Mongols. We got a quick look at it at the end of Revelations, but a whole game based around the Assassins trying to deal with a complete 3rd party to their war with the templars that they can't hope to stop would be neat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/CartridgeGames/status/1009956711397052416

We enacted gay marriage too early according to him.

We opened the blood gates before the time was at hand.

Sweet Jesus I hate this dumb motherfucker.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sanguinia posted:

I'd love a more in-depth look at the fall of the Assassins to the Mongols. We got a quick look at it at the end of Revelations, but a whole game based around the Assassins trying to deal with a complete 3rd party to their war with the templars that they can't hope to stop would be neat.

oooh I forgot that detail, yea that'd be cool.

Guys AC is actually p. coo

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
AC is good fun right up until aliens appear then its just dumb poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

yeah. don't you just burn their minds out with the apple or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

business hammocks posted:

Was it really only a year ago that Anita Sarkeesian walked this gas bag through a panic attack by holding his hand and helping him breathe into a bag or whatever because he couldn’t handle whatever mild criticism she gave him (according to his own account where she was a big mean scary lady)? That should end up in a textbook as a reference standard for uncompensated emotional labor.

It feels like it was at least two or three years ago, like everything in the Brexit/Trump time-dilation hellpit we’re trapped in.

And then he bitched about it on YouTube and Twitter for days afterwards until she apologized to him out of sheer embarrassment for his antics. "Heaving gasbag" really is probably the perfect descriptor for Boogie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i just found her boring and kinda sex negative and nitpicky, most of that stuff went away in the second season but idk, her style isnt my thing. it feels very "for a school auditorium educations show" type feel. I think alot of progressive messages and lessons can be taught better, again lindsey ellis and others do it in a funny non confrontational way. your not a bad person for liking something with problematic stuff lets just have fun and explore it.

Lots of people have a really low bar for what they consider confrontational when it involves a woman. Lindsay Ellis has actually gotten poo poo for seeming severe or aggressive (according to chuds), and for being seen as confrontational or a problem in some nonspecific sense, as seen in the disproportionate responses to the criticism of Channel Awesome from a few months ago. The youtube comments on her transformers series are very similar to the “criticisms” that would come out whenever Anita came up.

There is a difference between Anita Sarkeesian’s giving-a-conference-paper period and other videos pitched in different ways, but don’t underestimate how much people just respond poorly to women who speak directly or don’t undercut or apologize for themselves in some very specific way.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

khwarezm posted:

This is totally misrepresenting what the argument was, it doesn't matter that the women weren't actually attractive it was the wider context where brutalized female bodies were littered around the level with ridiculously obvious undertones of sexual violence (it is a bordello) while simultaneously invoking traditional sexually titillating imagery through things like their clothing, while the male bodies are conspicuously not treated in that way. The whole thing leans on an uber problematic tendency in games (and lots of other media) to make sexual violence against women a quick and easy shorthand for edgy danger without examining it any particularly deep way. The game even has what's clearly a rape scene happen with a male splicer assaulting a female one with no way for the player character to intervene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i_RPr9DwMA&t=270s

The whole video is trying to get people to move beyond the drat 'Context within the game!' argument since that turns into a shield for almost anything and makes it difficult to talk about things like the odd way action-stealthy games always seeming to have a major level set in a Brothel (Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite's DLC, Dishonored, Thief 4, the Saboteur, Hitman Absolution, Deus Ex Human Revolution, a slew of Assassin's Creed games...).

The problem is that art is a reflection of society as it is, not the other way around. Actual woman and queer folk are more at risk to sexual violence than any other kind and for men it's the opposite and media is a reflection of that reality. That's why you can't make a male victim of sexual violence resonate and murdering enemies who aren't men puts most people off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OmanyteJackson posted:

The problem is that art is a reflection of society as it is, not the other way around. Actual woman and queer folk are more at risk to sexual violence than any other kind and for men it's the opposite and media is a reflection of that reality. That's why you can't make a male victim of sexual violence resonate and murdering enemies who aren't men puts most people off.

The point is that it might be nice once in a while to try some stories that don’t have dead hookers or cowering women in torn clothes, and then maybe we’d get a better or at least a wider cultural vocabulary out of which to build future stories.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lots of people have a really low bar for what they consider confrontational when it involves a woman. Lindsay Ellis has actually gotten poo poo for seeming severe or aggressive (according to chuds), and for being seen as confrontational or a problem in some nonspecific sense, as seen in the disproportionate responses to the criticism of Channel Awesome from a few months ago. The youtube comments on her transformers series are very similar to the “criticisms” that would come out whenever Anita came up.

There is a difference between Anita Sarkeesian’s giving-a-conference-paper period and other videos pitched in different ways, but don’t underestimate how much people just respond poorly to women who speak directly or don’t undercut or apologize for themselves in some very specific way.

Yeah true, that being said confrontational was the wrong word for what I meant, preachy I guess. Overly morally suasiony. I guess. I like Ellis and hbomber because they use humor and treat complex concepts interestingly. Like her video about cultural appropriation was fascinating.

The point is that it might be nice once in a while to try some stories that don’t have dead hookers or cowering women in torn clothes, and then maybe we’d get a better or at least a wider cultural vocabulary out of which to build future stories.

True.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 22, 2018

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Anyone know of a good way to rip audio from Youtube videos? I just got a new job with a long commute and I'm thinking of using some of my favorites as pseudo-podcasts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alacron posted:

Anyone know of a good way to rip audio from Youtube videos? I just got a new job with a long commute and I'm thinking of using some of my favorites as pseudo-podcasts.

https://www.flvto.biz/youtube-to-mp3/ Try this.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Just like there's a broad variety of sounds in the world, but most popular music has the same 4 chords, stories are the same way and videogames are even more restrictive.

Any action game with a story has to justify why the enemies wish to harm the player and why the violence the player does is more just, sociopathy basicly. The more grounded the narrative is the more difficult that obvious that becomes. Games are a space where all other actors exist for the benefit of the player, either as an obstacle or an asset, great for escapist fantasy but terrible at tackling real issues that don't involve murdering.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

OmanyteJackson posted:

Just like there's a broad variety of sounds in the world, but most popular music has the same 4 chords, stories are the same way and videogames are even more restrictive.

Any action game with a story has to justify why the enemies wish to harm the player and why the violence the player does is more just, sociopathy basicly. The more grounded the narrative is the more difficult that obvious that becomes. Games are a space where all other actors exist for the benefit of the player, either as an obstacle or an asset, great for escapist fantasy but terrible at tackling real issues that don't involve murdering.

Maybe use something other than sexual menace to justify the actions of your protagonist? Also "groundedness" is a matter of character and buy-in it dose not require the frankly juvenile portrail of sex in games.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

On the topic of portrayals of sex in games, David Cage's really weird way to portray sex in Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain becomes weirder when you see SGF playing through his original big game Omikron which puts it all in context. The game has the protagonist rape someone within the literal first hour, and David Cage is so out of touch as a writer that he literally doesn't understand that what he wrote was a rape-scene. For him it's a just a sex-scenario for the player and the woman is just a prop. Juvenile is the correct way to describe it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Heavy Rain has a death scene where a woman is raped with a power drill. The man is a creep.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Really the need to add sex and prostitutes in order to make things "gritty" and "real" is baffling to me. I literally cant understand the thought process behind it

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Lol I always knew boogie was a loving idiot but at least he's given confirmation of that fact now

he probably would be arguing for the status quo during the civil rights movement

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ash Crimson posted:

Lol I always knew boogie was a loving idiot but at least he's given confirmation of that fact now

he probably would be arguing for the status quo during the civil rights movement

no no no he's not AGAINST it he just thinks if you slow down by like, a decade, then bigots will have time to ease in!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

no no no he's not AGAINST it he just thinks if you slow down by like, a decade, then bigots will have time to ease in!

He's just pushing for it to be in a different time, a more convenient season if you will.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ash Crimson posted:

Oh he absolutely would.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I love the notion that gay people get killed because they're asking for too many rights too quickly and not giving violent murderous bigots time to acclimate to the idea of not killing people because they're gay.

I used to have a lot of sympathy for the guy because the whole internet personality deal seemed to give him a lot of anxiety (though I never understood why you'd choose the hot takes business if people being poo poo to you causes you immense mental anguish) but man, gently caress him if that's his idea of empathy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they never blame the people who are at fault. why should a gay person have to care that some critical mass of nobodies "accepts" them?

nobody is ever given rights. they've always had to fight tooth and nail for them.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I love the notion that gay people get killed because they're asking for too many rights too quickly and not giving violent murderous bigots time to acclimate to the idea of not killing people because they're gay.

I used to have a lot of sympathy for the guy because the whole internet personality deal seemed to give him a lot of anxiety (though I never understood why you'd choose the hot takes business if people being poo poo to you causes you immense mental anguish) but man, gently caress him if that's his idea of empathy.

well, yeah, he is privileged moron who is wrapped in a blanket of consumer culture as priority. do you really expect any better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

Arcsquad12 posted:

Heavy Rain has a death scene where a woman is raped with a power drill. The man is a creep.

yeah cage sucks. I like the new game so far(i hated his other poo poo) but that being said, others have done that idea better.

dbzfandiego posted:

Really the need to add sex and prostitutes in order to make things "gritty" and "real" is baffling to me. I literally cant understand the thought process behind it

its mostly lazy writing or lazy shorthand. it seems like more games are moving away from it thankfully.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Phelous reviews BEAST WARS.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i forgot how old the CGI was for that show. loved the show when i was little.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

Imagine being someone with talent who works hard and having to share a panel with him or tolerate his fans posting about how you should be more like him.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

a cartoon duck posted:

Boogie: "Actually, you can reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into, just give me ten maybe twenty years."

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

At the very least, Boogie's heart is in the right place, if not his brain.

No it really isn’t. He’s a craven coward who is afraid of upsetting the status quo and his place in it. This selfishness is his guiding political principle and all his stated beliefs are logical extensions of it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I find it more watchable now.
The managed to do all these scenes and give all these characters enough life to be people's favorites years later, all done years before there were any tools for doing so.

We have so much entertainment that's made of complete excess of a billion dollars of budgeting and modern tools, and I find things made well under an insane amount of restriction to be more special - especially when no one on the production needed to do anything other than make a toy ad.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Considering the age the CGI holds up decently IMO, like not something I think would pass anywhere as close to nowadays but I've seen that era CGI age much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

I don't agree. People have harped on the Real World Plot in AC forever but I think the generational conflict across all of history and all nations along with the mystery of it's origins and all the other metaplot stuff was the glue that held the series together until 3. I honestly don't think the game would have succeeded nearly as much without that framing device and the things that went with it, like the Animus itself and Vidic and the Subject 16 subplot. Up until Revelations it only got better with every game. Brotherhood was the series peak, revelations was a plateau, and 3 is when everything went to crap. IMO people remember the Templar/Assassin conspiracy scifi plot from the earlier games more harshly just because AC3's direction on that content was both incredibly terrible all the way through and had a completely garbage finale for the entire thing on top of it.
Nah it was always garbage. The games would have been better off if they were glued together by theme rather than an NWO/Illuminati plot involving ancient aliens that some how manages to be incredibly tedious.