Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

KillianLett posted:

Does anyone else have "Due dates" on tickets? This is a new thing for me, and I find them generally pointless.

Personal opinion is that as long as there is regular activity from our end, I'm happy.
Sure a ticket may have a hard date of needing completion, but that can just be listed in the ticket (Server must be installed on the 5th, etc).

Thoughts?

Most of the time due dates and the like are used for stats and metrics. Your department/msp can use it to say "we close 92.65% of tickets under the due date". While for the front line people it means nothing, for managers and c levels it's more numbers to help justify their budgets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't have a ticketing system. Owned, scrubs.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

blackswordca posted:

Most of the time due dates and the like are used for stats and metrics. Your department/msp can use it to say "we close 92.65% of tickets under the due date". While for the front line people it means nothing, for managers and c levels it's more numbers to help justify their budgets

We are supposed to put TARGETED COMPLETE DATE on tickets, which is kind of stupid because we'll just set them to something absurd.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

blackswordca posted:

An email came in

Vendor sent in a replacement production license for an app of ours that had a licensing bug on Monday. So I came in a 6am to apply it.

I applied the license but it didn't look right. They sent us a dev server license.

Thanks vendor.

How nice of them! :sun:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Ticket due dates are how we supposedly track SLAs. Obviously nobody pays attention to them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

We use the due date field for dependencies in project tickets, ie. the contract goes live on this date so this ticket needs to be completed before then. They don't get much use for support tickets.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We used to have to manually put an estimated repair time into every ticket. It was stupid, because if we knew what was wrong, we'd fix it right then and there. If we didn't know what was wrong, then we didn't know how long it would take until we figured it out. We used to just slam in 2 hours for every ticket no matter what happened.

In a sort of happy ending, eventually logic was implemented that automatically calculated an ETR based off of a bunch of variables like average fix time of other similar tickets, location, time of day, and total number of outages ongoing. A lot of time, effort, and money was spent calculating "about 2 hours, plus or minus 15 minutes".

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Wibla posted:

How nice of them! :sun:

I sent an email immediately telling them I needed production not dev licensing.

4 hours later I get an email.

"Your ticket is now closed. Please fill out the survey below and let us know how we did. This email address is not monitored, emails.sent to.it will.not be replied too."

Don't worry vendor, I'm sure you will find the survey quite filled out...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

KillianLett posted:

Does anyone else have "Due dates" on tickets? This is a new thing for me, and I find them generally pointless.

Personal opinion is that as long as there is regular activity from our end, I'm happy.
Sure a ticket may have a hard date of needing completion, but that can just be listed in the ticket (Server must be installed on the 5th, etc).

Thoughts?
These are cancer. I have instruction to close tickets after 3 days regardless to avoid going past them for a middle manager which means we miss user communications (those have to be sent through the ticketing system.)

Coincidentally the quality of work per has decrease since the only thing I"m tracked on is whether or not I close it before it's "red" on a report. We also have tickets put into the system for admin tasks up to 60 days in advanced which are labeled as emergency with 6 hour time to close.

stupid stupid stupid

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like I'm not the only one that is hating the damned due dates. And yeah, it's generating tension within the support staff for no particular reason.

The mentality of the job being "To close tickets" vs. "To solve problems and make the customer happy (if possible)" is annoying.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

KillianLett posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like I'm not the only one that is hating the damned due dates. And yeah, it's generating tension within the support staff for no particular reason.

The mentality of the job being "To close tickets" vs. "To solve problems and make the customer happy (if possible)" is annoying.

Welcome to MSP life. Where only the stats count and the customer doesn't matter.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Some of our tickets now have a field on them that counts down to when we've contacted the customer. This is set 3 hours after the ticket was created. Not when the ticket is assigned, just created. So it sits in the HD queue for 2 hours, finally gets to us and now all of our tickets have a red bar on them with a customer contact SLA violation on them.

This change was never mentioned to us, and was something we never agreed to so we just ignore it. But seriously what a dumb field to track.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Automated reply on ticket generation: Thank you for your ticket, it is very important to us. An agent will process your ticket in the order it was received. <muzak>

Congratulations, you are now meeting your SLA.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

People that think it's funny to reply 'thanks' or 'ok' to a ticket so it re-opens...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bob Morales posted:

People that think it's funny to reply 'thanks' or 'ok' to a ticket so it re-opens...

I used to have a pre formatted reply for those kind of things that basically said if you want to thank me, fill out the survey and to only reopen if we did something wrong.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm guessing people don't really grasp that it reopens it vs. thinking it's funny.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
My ticketing system is getting a Slack when there's problem. If it's something that I can't get to right then or is multi-day, I'll stick it in Trello with a due date of my own choosing to make sure I don't forget.

Yes, I know it's convoluted and not an ideal process. It's temporpermanent while more important things get implemented.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Zil posted:

I used to have a pre formatted reply for those kind of things that basically said if you want to thank me, fill out the survey and to only reopen if we did something wrong.

Javid posted:

I'm guessing people don't really grasp that it reopens it vs. thinking it's funny.

Back when I worked for the university Hell Desk as a student employee, I had a nontraditional old student reopen their ticket with "Thanks for the help!" When I re-closed it, I included a message that they didn't need to thank me and that replies would reopen the ticket.

They replied with "oh, I didn't realize that, sorry!"

:doh:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Javid posted:

Magnus Praeda posted:

Back when I worked for the university Hell Desk as a student employee, I had a nontraditional old student reopen their ticket with "Thanks for the help!" When I re-closed it, I included a message that they didn't need to thank me and that replies would reopen the ticket.

They replied with "oh, I didn't realize that, sorry!"

:doh:

some people just absolutely have to have the last word, and can't wrap their heads around the fact that support people literally have to have the last word because of how technology and company policy work

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
People who reply to closed tickets, period. Unless its "this needs addition work for reason 'x' ".

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

KillianLett posted:

Thoughts?
We have tickets that sit open for years until we migrate to the next version of Remedy and choose not to import the old data.

That's happened twice since I've been here. Management sees no conflict between this and asking us to document fixes in Remedy so it can be used as a knowledge base.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
We avoid the "thanks" replies from reopening tickets by having a specific link in the e-mail to press which opens up a reply e-mail with the subject" reopen INCXXXXXX" and the body goes in the comments. They can also press a button on the ticket itself to reopen the ticket. Now users can send all the Thanks they want.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nobody can read though, so they will hit reply six months later and say “this is broken again!!!”, then repeat it CCing increasing numbers of C-levels each time.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Controlled power outage to install solar panels. Shut down all non-critical infrastructure. UPS shields at 21% and falling. Work is complete and half of our critical infrastructure going down is currently reliant on the power company showing up within the next hour to turn everything back on.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 23, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

Nobody can read though, so they will hit reply six months later and say “this is broken again!!!”, then repeat it CCing increasing numbers of C-levels each time.

Theoretically, once a ticket is closed in ServiceNOW it cannot be reopened, period. Some of our monitoring tools manage to re-open weeks old closed tickets instead of new ones, but we are assured that cannot happen.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

klosterdev posted:

Controlled power outage to install solar panels. Shut down all non-critical infrastructure. UPS shields at 21% and falling. Work is complete and half of our critical infrastructure going down is currently reliant on the power company showing up within the next hour to turn everything back on.

Fuckin read only friday. Murder anyone who disagrees.

(he says, currently waiting for a client's full backup to finish so he can get started upgrading a VmWarE cluster).

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

klosterdev posted:

Well it's been an hour and no update, godspeed recovering your fubar'd infrastructure sir.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Sheep posted:

Well it's been an hour and no update, godspeed recovering your fubar'd infrastructure sir.

Power outage happened a couple towns away, power company ran late.

At 8 minutes left on the UPS, we took down everything that could be shut down without breaking things horribly, brought us to 15 minutes, we found a couple extra batteries, did a swap, first one had a fault, tried the other battery, it worked, it bought us enough time for the power company to get here and flip the switch.

Feel like I just rode a roller coaster.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Theoretically, once a ticket is closed in ServiceNOW it cannot be reopened, period. Some of our monitoring tools manage to re-open weeks old closed tickets instead of new ones, but we are assured that cannot happen.

I’ve seen closed tickets get updated Activity Logs, usually via the email listener, but I’ve never seen it actually change from a Closed state back to Active.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

I’ve seen closed tickets get updated Activity Logs, usually via the email listener, but I’ve never seen it actually change from a Closed state back to Active.

Oh yeah that's tons of fun when it's an offline alert on the second page (where no one is going to look). We were told it wasn't possible and actually had to find more to prove to the devs it was broken. Apparently one incident that clearly closed and then re-opened a month later wasn't enough.

We frequently see Solawinds block a ticket from going to resolved even if the issue is no longer present, that problem comes and goes every few months. I'm confident that in 2-3 years it will be working as well as the CRM we left behind because someone didn't want to renew the license before SNOW was actually ready to go.

The other problem that I've been asking to be fixed for a year is auto-resolving tickets after we change the status from new (meaning we've worked it and contacted the customer). Email them at 3am that the office is down, Comcast resolves their outage, the site comes back up, and no one on our end lets the customer know. The devs are apparently insisting it works just like it did before (it does not), and this is a low-priority feature upgrade. It happens with all 3 of our systems (when SW isn't keeping things from closing entirely).

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

This is default behavior. However, admins can setup any field to be editable after ticket is closed. We allow activity log to allow support folks to update ticket with any additional info. Default behavior is to move INC ticket to resolved and then system auto closes after 3 days. There is a property to change the time limit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

klosterdev posted:

Power outage happened a couple towns away, power company ran late.

At 8 minutes left on the UPS, we took down everything that could be shut down without breaking things horribly, brought us to 15 minutes, we found a couple extra batteries, did a swap, first one had a fault, tried the other battery, it worked, it bought us enough time for the power company to get here and flip the switch.

Feel like I just rode a roller coaster.

I’ve always considered a UPS to be there to give you enough time to shut things down cleanly. If shutting things down is going to cause massive problems then you need to look at a generator and someone to show up and put more fuel into it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A generator costs more money, though. Good luck squeezing it out of management.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's possible to rent a generator, you know...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Still more expensive than abusing UPS's and making it ITs problem. If management were known for being willing to spend money on necessary poo poo, the last thread would've been a third the size

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

oh rly posted:

This is default behavior. However, admins can setup any field to be editable after ticket is closed. We allow activity log to allow support folks to update ticket with any additional info. Default behavior is to move INC ticket to resolved and then system auto closes after 3 days. There is a property to change the time limit.

I believe that. But after 72 hours, we're not able to add anything. There are times it would be nice, if only to say issue recurred, see inc000#######

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

It's possible to rent a generator, you know...

Generators are easy to rent when there isn't a power outage.

Becomes much more difficult when there is one. Especially when it inevitably happens after 6:00 on a Friday or weekend.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You’re supposed to rent it before the outage not during it .

Batteries for a data center are expensive and running your UPS down like that is a good way to shorten the mean time between spending money on new ones.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://i.imgur.com/Yd0dW6M.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Partycat posted:

You’re supposed to rent it before the outage not during it .

Batteries for a data center are expensive and running your UPS down like that is a good way to shorten the mean time between spending money on new ones.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance :v: