Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

new episode was very good, not great. Probably almost the same quality as the original. I'll grade it a B+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Honestly liked Rubinsky's mutton chops. Hoping they cut the Terra cultists out and he's the apex schemer that gets rolled.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I hope they don’t get cut but are written like an actual faction and not 2d cutouts like the OVA.

Unless it’s in the background I don’t see them having an opportunity to appear given the runtime on this series tho.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
These books may not be the best written but there’s something really charming about them.

quote:

As Viscount Albrecht von Bruckner, author of The Galactic Empire: A Prehistory, expressed it: “If you banished all the perverts and homosexuals from history and the arts, human culture would never have advanced to such a degree.”

I’ll let the thread guess context.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Does it really need context? It's a good truism regardless of context.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

dogsicle posted:

during the iserlohn invasion stuff he's 32. 6 y/o in 770, iserlohn invasion takes place in 796.

He's 29 in the book and I'm pretty sure he was in the ova as well.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

ah, i just took the dates from the wiki since i didn't remember the OVA (up to what i've seen) giving any helpful info. 29 fits even moreso with the new design to me, when the OVA one seems well past 30. anime is weird in that way though.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

tap my mountain posted:

There's a running gag in the OVA about Attenborough turning 30 and still being a virgin, while Poplan is younger and Schenkopf is older and both are hooking up with the same girls. Poplan gives him poo poo about it and Schenkopf plays it off like he's too old and busy getting laid to care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgjQmtWZwks

I don't remember all the timeskips or what his official age is at each part of the OVA, but Schenkopf is presented as an ambiguously older/mid-30s character compared to the younger guys like Poplan and Attenborough. That's definitely not the case in the new series, though I'm not sure if it matters considering they don't have time to put in all the banter that the age differences created context for.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i gotta say, going into the OVA mostly blind i did not expect Dusty to be such a loser, but between that clip and the first 30-odd episodes he's made a real poor showing.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Dusty is a beautiful boy and i will not hear his name sullied

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I miss Dusty in the new show. He's plucky and energetic and cynical and the only guy Yang is bouncing ideas off of right now is bizzaro callnizu

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

dogsicle posted:

i gotta say, going into the OVA mostly blind i did not expect Dusty to be such a loser, but between that clip and the first 30-odd episodes he's made a real poor showing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DamnGlitch posted:

I miss Dusty in the new show. He's plucky and energetic and cynical and the only guy Yang is bouncing ideas off of right now is bizzaro callnizu

I really like Dusty. He's a dork, but despite not playing fifth dimensional ultra chess with the genius big boys he's smart and competent. That sort of awkward-yet-earnest companion isn't really filled by anyone else Yang interacts with regularly on a personal level. Cazzelnu is mostly a disapproving father figure, Julian is an adoring son figure, Frederica is, well, the love interest, and Schenkopf is basically the devil on Yang's shoulder. Dusty is sort of the only character who comes off as just one of Yang's friends.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
We're doing this revolutionary war out of foppery and whim. Got that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMWBvqrFkjg

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

A little extra swagger added to Kirchies's victory walk there, eh?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
no norio wakamoto no sale

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Despite having seen everything already, I was still 90% convinced Reinhard would kiss kircheis for real this episode.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Matoi edit: herp a derp

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 28, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Baloogan posted:

Where do I watch anime

http://www.crunchyroll.com/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-die-neue-these
Matoi edit: :cop:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 28, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, the last OP of the ova is harsh. Just Reinhard, all alone. :smith:

Unfortunately the engrish vocals are...not great.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Anime keeps being good. I actually like both Frederica's and Jessica's designs in this version.

Somehow after 10 years the scene with the council or w/e pining for war made me legit angry while before I was kind of ambivalent about the whole deal.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Billzasilver posted:

Despite having seen everything already, I was still 90% convinced Reinhard would kiss kircheis for real this episode.

they're constantly kissing off screen they just aren't big on pda

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I had forgotten how much i hated the Windsor lady in the council goddamn

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

boredsatellite posted:

I had forgotten how much i hated the Windsor lady in the council goddamn

Oh Ho Ho Ho Ho how naive of you :agesilaus:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The woman on the council who really wants the war seemed like her head was drawn wrong somehow like more head than face. I do like the slightly expanded focus on Jessica Edwards in terms of portraying her rise to office and establishing that she's important to the anti war opposition that Yangs sympathetic to

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll say this much, it's a pretty rare thing in fiction to have the finance guy on the side of the angels.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

duck monster posted:

The woman on the council who really wants the war seemed like her head was drawn wrong somehow like more head than face. I do like the slightly expanded focus on Jessica Edwards in terms of portraying her rise to office and establishing that she's important to the anti war opposition that Yangs sympathetic to

She was drawn an awful lot like the bad lady from unicorn. I don’t think it was wrong, I think it’s probably character design cribbing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ToastCrust/status/1006467955301875712?s=19

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Man at the end of the latest ep they sure spent a lot of time showing ships heroicly launching. And all of that after Reinhard Scorced Earthed a lot of planets

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It also demonstrated the perfect combination of words to guarantee all of your admiralty into a mutiny.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Hey guys I hear the solution to mentally unstable officers is to just give them whatever they want instead of you know, discharging them.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

kirtar posted:

Hey guys I hear the solution to mentally unstable officers is to just give them whatever they want instead of you know, discharging them.

Right? Who is he loving to get that kind of job security?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Right? Who is he loving to get that kind of job security?

I believe at this point he's loving the Free Planets Alliance.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
[e] Figured it out

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 23, 2018

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

kirtar posted:

Actually this was pretty much how the Imperial Japanese Navy rolled.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Polikarpov posted:

Actually this was pretty much how the Imperial Japanese Navy rolled.

Yeah the most unrealistic part is there weren’t hundreds of mini-Forks present at all levels of the military

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

While I do like this a lot so far, I'm not really feeling the empire invasion arc. Omitting completely the story lines on the planet both with Kessler's arc on the planet and then later the arc with the farmer, his daughter and the helpful FPA guy and then betrayal. Removing all that kind of guts the whole arc of the context of the citizens stuck in the fear of two massive impersonal war machines. And definitely the battles seem to be more chaotic and lacking the strategic 4D chess (well 2D) of the original anime

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I miss the mighty spindle formation and semi circles beating all.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Just gonna leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Ilm6QB7fY&t=215s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Already gone