Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I find it more watchable now.
The managed to do all these scenes and give all these characters enough life to be people's favorites years later, all done years before there were any tools for doing so.

We have so much entertainment that's made of complete excess of a billion dollars of budgeting and modern tools, and I find things made well under an insane amount of restriction to be more special - especially when no one on the production needed to do anything other than make a toy ad.

Zedd posted:

Considering the age the CGI holds up decently IMO, like not something I think would pass anywhere as close to nowadays but I've seen that era CGI age much worse.

indeed. it holds up really well. so does the old starship troopers cartoon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7QCjwhtCBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKDKgnNFOaI

the armor and bugs look good. but the faces and animation have aged.

watching that show again makes me want a 40k imperial guard show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

dbzfandiego posted:

Maybe use something other than sexual menace to justify the actions of your protagonist? Also "groundedness" is a matter of character and buy-in it dose not require the frankly juvenile portrail of sex in games.

There are other things it's just that even games with better depictions of woman still use the threat of sexual violence as subtext. The easiest way to avoid it is to not have violence at all but those aren't the games we are talking about.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Razak's face is still good though. Really it's the lighting and specular maps that keep these old CGI shows looking alright.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I find it more watchable now.
The managed to do all these scenes and give all these characters enough life to be people's favorites years later, all done years before there were any tools for doing so.

We have so much entertainment that's made of complete excess of a billion dollars of budgeting and modern tools, and I find things made well under an insane amount of restriction to be more special - especially when no one on the production needed to do anything other than make a toy ad.

It seems like it was a childhood transition into more serious drama for people slightly younger than I was, being for them what the 90s Batman and Superman cartoons were for a young me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

business hammocks posted:

It seems like it was a childhood transition into more serious drama for people slightly younger than I was, being for them what the 90s Batman and Superman cartoons were for a young me.

Yeah, i guess i was a dumb loving kid because most of the deep poo poo in the supes and batman cartoons went over my head.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

dbzfandiego posted:

Really the need to add sex and prostitutes in order to make things "gritty" and "real" is baffling to me. I literally cant understand the thought process behind it

I think it's more that people are trying to make things gritty and real, and the sex junk is just part and parcel of that, probably because most of the media that have formed the gritty aesthetic have been driven by some male creator's id. It's made by a dude focusing on whatever gets his blood pumping, so he's not really gonna be thinking about how it portrays or affects anyone who isn't him.

You see the same sort of thing from the ladies of the self-indulgent fanfic realm, just usually those aren't influential enough to inspire imitation in mass media. (Because we don't respect writing by ladies.)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
WHAT HAPPENED TO PEARL HARBOR'S DEAD? - Ask A Mortician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6nt_kdLnvA

:rip:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38F9M70Af6A

Good Bad or Bad Bad looks at the classic Hard Ticket to Hawaii.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Leading up to AC3 I was hoping they would invert the relationship between the Animus and Desmond plots. Instead of using Desmond to pace and buffer the Animus they should have had a game where you spend most of your time as Desmond running around in the diegetic present and only jumping into the Animus for specific segments where you need a memory to figure out where Claudius Van Miles The Fifth, Master Assassin hid the Wibblegoof so you can progress the plot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think a lot of folks were hoping for that Dan.

Ubi didn't seem confident they could properly do the gameplay in a modern setting unfortunately.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

Leading up to AC3 I was hoping they would invert the relationship between the Animus and Desmond plots. Instead of using Desmond to pace and buffer the Animus they should have had a game where you spend most of your time as Desmond running around in the diegetic present and only jumping into the Animus for specific segments where you need a memory to figure out where Claudius Van Miles The Fifth, Master Assassin hid the Wibblegoof so you can progress the plot.

if it makes you feel better, watch dogs takes place in the assassins creed universe apparently. generic mcshithead from one makes his mark on the modern era and it was made canon in origins. so idk. I think the issue is they arnt really sure how to pull it off. modern gun kinda break the game. victorian age/ww1 is probably as late as we are gonna get in the series. plus i just like it for the historical poo poo. its not 100% accurate(no poo poo) but it gets the aesthetics of the periods/places really well. I like the modern setting and i wish they would do more with it. but i want china or japan as mainline game. Greece is cool because outside RTS and GOW, their arnt many games set during that era.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

Add me to the pile of people who wanted that too. After the steady-but-tepid build up to what was clearly going to be a modern day AssCred, AC3 turning out to be just another Animus snoozefest killed my interest in the franchise cold.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’m glad I’m not the only one that was hoping for more modern AC stuff. They’ve spent so long building up this three-way conflict between the Assassins, Templars and Juno that it’s hard to imagine them resolving it without spending a lot of time in the present at some point.

Although, there’s a scene in Origins that suggests the possibility of building an animus that can actually send someone back in time, Quantum Leap style, rather than just into a simulation. If they built on this and had the player facing off against other time-travelers that could be a way of having the modern and historical plotlines intersect in a way that wasn’t possible before. It would probably be an unpopular idea amongst fans that want purely historical games, but I’d like it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that was hoping for more modern AC stuff. They’ve spent so long building up this three-way conflict between the Assassins, Templars and Juno that it’s hard to imagine them resolving it without spending a lot of time in the present at some point.

Although, there’s a scene in Origins that suggests the possibility of building an animus that can actually send someone back in time, Quantum Leap style, rather than just into a simulation. If they built on this and had the player facing off against other time-travelers that could be a way of having the modern and historical plotlines intersect in a way that wasn’t possible before. It would probably be an unpopular idea amongst fans that want purely historical games, but I’d like it.

it might be cool. as i said, id like more modern day stuff, but i dont think the gameplay mechanics can fully support a modern day asscreed game. i feel like if they went that route it would end up generic as gently caress.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It feels like everyone really wants a modern Assassin's Creed, but honestly, I'd kind of want to see an Adam and Eve one. I have no idea how they'd do it and it probably wouldn't work but man, I liked that little teaser in AC2.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It feels like everyone really wants a modern Assassin's Creed, but honestly, I'd kind of want to see an Adam and Eve one. I have no idea how they'd do it and it probably wouldn't work but man, I liked that little teaser in AC2.

That would have been pretty drat cool too. Doubly so because it would also have been a sci-fi AssCred given how retro-advanced the Precursor society was implied to be.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

OmanyteJackson posted:

The problem is that art is a reflection of society as it is, not the other way around. Actual woman and queer folk are more at risk to sexual violence than any other kind and for men it's the opposite and media is a reflection of that reality. That's why you can't make a male victim of sexual violence resonate and murdering enemies who aren't men puts most people off.

Ridiculous, art is not some passive thing neutrally reflecting reality with no impact of it's own, its exactly the opposite, the presumptions and stereotypes built into media can have a very powerful effect on shaping people's understanding of and interaction with reality, look at things like the prevalence of the stock Muslim terrorist in shows like 24 and how that shape people's understanding of Muslims. In this case the use of sexualised violence in such a flippant way to signify little more than seedy danger in some shooting/stealth gallery which won't take anything close to a deep look at the issue trivializes the problem and sidelines the people it really effects.

Also this notion that 'you can't make a male victim of sexual violence resonate' is playing into some really, really noxious stereotypes about male sexual assault. In fact, so is the idea that murdering enemies that aren't men in a videogame is somehow intrinsically more off-putting since most homicide victims are male and a particular distaste for women combatants is caught up in all kinds of notions of feminine innocence and purity.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

khwarezm posted:

Ridiculous, art is not some passive thing neutrally reflecting reality with no impact of it's own, its exactly the opposite, the presumptions and stereotypes built into media can have a very powerful effect on shaping people's understanding of and interaction with realit

I mean, it's both: art influences society, which then influences artists, who make art, which then influences society, which then...

quote:

Also this notion that 'you can't make a male victim of sexual violence resonate' is playing into some really, really noxious stereotypes about male sexual assault. In fact, so is the idea that murdering enemies that aren't men in a videogame is somehow intrinsically more off-putting since most homicide victims are male and a particular distaste for women combatants is caught up in all kinds of notions of feminine innocence and purity.

I think it's less that it's impossible, and more that, when you're trying to make something to sell to the mainstream, you want to go with what will resonate with the most people with the least amount of effort. You CAN make a male victim resonate, but because of the dumb bullshit in our culture, a lot of people will feel much more strongly about a female victim. It's not an intrinsic thing, any more than certain sets of musical notes are intrinsically unpleasant, but if you're working within popular culture, you do have to remember and work with cultural mores.

There absolutely SHOULD be efforts to push past the culturally accepted stereotypes, but there's a reason that the mainstream stuff tends to go the lovely status quo route.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the sci-fi in assassins creed is awful.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

This was slightly unnerving to watch because just a day or two ago I was talking to someone about Beast Wars and basically touched on all of the exact same points Phelous did.

Zedd posted:

Considering the age the CGI holds up decently IMO, like not something I think would pass anywhere as close to nowadays but I've seen that era CGI age much worse.

The leap in quality from season 1 to season 2 is undeniable though. Same for Reboot season 2 to 3, IIRC.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if it makes you feel better, watch dogs takes place in the assassins creed universe apparently. generic mcshithead from one makes his mark on the modern era and it was made canon in origins. so idk.

What changed? Last I heard the easter egg between WD1 and AC4 was declared non-canon. There's also the Abstergo references in Farcry 3 but they presumably fell under the same just for funsies banner. Edit: Google answered this for me. Interesting that they reversed course on that stuff. It's silly but fun.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

What changed? Last I heard the easter egg between WD1 and AC4 was declared non-canon. There's also the Abstergo references in Farcry 3 but they presumably fell under the same just for funsies banner. Edit: Google answered this for me. Interesting that they reversed course on that stuff. It's silly but fun.

i doubt far cry is in the same universe, considering the poo poo show ending of 5. assassins creed and watch dogs fit thematically enough and both are pretty fun so i am ok with this. i doubt there will be major cross overs. its more like how like how the wire and the x-files exist in the same universe.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19323_6-movie-tv-universes-that-overlap-in-mind-blowing-ways.html

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am unsure if this belongs here but its funny.

so there was really lovely movie made about john gotti that came out a week or so ago and it was a giant turd. all it did was gloryfy gotti (because it was based off a book by his dipshit son) and it has john travolta looking like poo poo.

anyway. the studio has started putting these out and i found it kinda funny.

https://twitter.com/Gotti_Film/status/1009130276956467200

the whole twitter is a dumb clown show and morons commenting about how Gotti is true american hero.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like when people get mad when black people "celebrate" gangster life but it's cool when italian-americans talk about how great their illiterate thugs were.

gotti killed one of his neighbors because the guy backed over his stupid kid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like when people get mad when black people "celebrate" gangster life but it's cool when italian-americans talk about how great their illiterate thugs were.

gotti killed one of his neighbors because the guy backed over his stupid kid.

yeah. i have never liked the whole "honorable profession" myths. like at least with GTA and Scorsese and even tarantino, all of the criminals are hosed up monsters and show that the life is toxic and awful(at least story wise) this poo poo is basically "gotti didn't do nothing wrong and was arrested because prejudice". gently caress that poo poo. its why i loved mafia 3. it showed the mob as a bunch of parasitic monsters who sucked the blood out of the city with the help of other racist shitheads. then they all die.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i doubt far cry is in the same universe, considering the poo poo show ending of 5. assassins creed and watch dogs fit thematically enough and both are pretty fun so i am ok with this. i doubt there will be major cross overs. its more like how like how the wire and the x-files exist in the same universe.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19323_6-movie-tv-universes-that-overlap-in-mind-blowing-ways.html

The Farcry games would paint an interesting picture of the modern world that the Templars want to exert their control on. No wonder they're obsessed with order when once you get outside "civilization" everything immediately turns to poo poo with warlords and mercenaries shooting everything and anything.

FC5 mucks with that but it mucked with a lot of things so who cares. Though also wasn't AC1 supposed to be taking place in the capital F future and they just kind of hastily scrubbed over that when transitioning to 2?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

The Farcry games would paint an interesting picture of the modern world that the Templars want to exert their control on. No wonder they're obsessed with order when once you get outside "civilization" everything immediately turns to poo poo with warlords and mercenaries shooting everything and anything.

FC5 mucks with that but it mucked with a lot of things so who cares. Though also wasn't AC1 supposed to be taking place in the capital F future and they just kind of hastily scrubbed over that when transitioning to 2?

AC1 was always supposed to be like 2009 or something. just with some more secret advancements.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
just a reminder that Gotti was boss for barely any time and still instantly dragged near his entire crew to jail with him because he was such a stupid Goodfellas wannabe poser piece of poo poo and the only more pathetic mob figure is Sammy the Bull's near instant flipping on Gotti because he knew how hosed everything was despite him being one of the major forces supporting his coup to begin with because Sammy was dumb enough to FALL for the Goodfellas act..

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also Sammy the Bull went to a hypnotist EXTREMELY regularly, with just kinda feels like a really funny thing for an organized crime guy to do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

just a reminder that Gotti was boss for barely any time and still instantly dragged near his entire crew to jail with him because he was such a stupid Goodfellas wannabe poser piece of poo poo and the only more pathetic mob figure is Sammy the Bull's near instant flipping on Gotti because he knew how hosed everything was despite him being one of the major forces supporting his coup to begin with because Sammy was dumb enough to FALL for the Goodfellas act..

yeah. he basicaly sat at a resturant and openly admitted to a ton of crimes and poo poo. that only guy who was dumber was loving Scarfo who was basicaly a even dumber Mr. Blonde and for some reason, he was never capped when he was just a soldier.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

The leap in quality from season 1 to season 2 is undeniable though. Same for Reboot season 2 to 3, IIRC.
ReBoot spent two seasons with their writers battling the censors over every little thing and being rarely able to tell anything more than small gag-a-day stories while slowly trying to weave together something coherent until they switched networks and suddenly it got surprisingly dark and good.

I'm not sure if Beastwars had the same issue, exactly, but it went from being mostly goofy with the occasional serious episode to mostly serious with long term plot threads and consequences plus some notable character arcs. Right up until the end where we got Beast Machines which undid most of that and made it all garbage.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

ReBoot spent two seasons with their writers battling the censors over every little thing and being rarely able to tell anything more than small gag-a-day stories while slowly trying to weave together something coherent until they switched networks and suddenly it got surprisingly dark and good.

I'm not sure if Beastwars had the same issue, exactly, but it went from being mostly goofy with the occasional serious episode to mostly serious with long term plot threads and consequences plus some notable character arcs. Right up until the end where we got Beast Machines which undid most of that and made it all garbage.

Cartoon censors issues seem to be alot less common these days, or at least thats what i have seen. loving clone wars and rebels were dark as gently caress at points. like i remember that 90s spider man was censored to hell and back. batman and superman were too, though alot less.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. he basicaly sat at a resturant and openly admitted to a ton of crimes and poo poo. that only guy who was dumber was loving Scarfo who was basicaly a even dumber Mr. Blonde and for some reason, he was never capped when he was just a soldier.

I love American Mob History so much, it's just this endless parade of absolute failures gradually getting more and more high on their own farts. Like, at least the actual Sicilian mob are loving ruthless sociopaths who run the entire town, every American Mob story is just 'yea fuckin Vinny Linguine ran the booze industry in this neighborhood with his buddy Tommy "The gently caress" Pizzapasta and they had it good until Tommy executed five people with a shotgun because one of them called his dog gay and Vinny instantly ratted the entire family out when the feds called him'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I love American Mob History so much, it's just this endless parade of absolute failures gradually getting more and more high on their own farts. Like, at least the actual Sicilian mob are loving ruthless sociopaths who run the entire town, every American Mob story is just 'yea fuckin Vinny Linguine ran the booze industry in this neighborhood with his buddy Tommy "The gently caress" Pizzapasta and they had it good until Tommy executed five people with a shotgun because one of them called his dog gay and Vinny instantly ratted the entire family out when the feds called him'

same. like i love true crime and i hope to go into some sort of law enforcement somehow. also lol at your story because its pretty much true.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I feel like I have a good healthy balance of actual true crime 'what made this serial killer do this, we have doctors and cops involved in the case give their insight' stuff and just a bunch of 'Ringo Zepplini's empire of crime was toppled when he detonated a small explosive in a police station because a friend told him it'd be a 'tough guy move'' poo poo. You gotta balance the horror out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuebot posted:

A lot of that stemmed from Canada (where the shows were made) had a less stringent censor policy for children's programming than the US did at the time. Really, the only stipulation was you couldn't use the word "War" in the title of a kids program, so shows like Beast Wars and War Planets got rebranded "Beasties" and "Shadow Raiders", even though the very first episode of the latter show deals very bluntly with genocide, diaspora, racism and class tensions in the span of 20 minutes. And it just goes deeper with every following episode.

ReBoot itself was written for Canadian television first and foremost and then had to be dialed back for American television, doubly so because the BS&P rep they had assigned to their show specifically was a real miserable bore. They actually put a parody of her in one episode to try and show her how unreasonable she was being, and she was not amused in the slightest.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

A lot of that stemmed from Canada (where the shows were made) had a less stringent censor policy for children's programming than the US did at the time. Really, the only stipulation was you couldn't use the word "War" in the title of a kids program, so shows like Beast Wars and War Planets got rebranded "Beasties" and "Shadow Raiders", even though the very first episode of the latter show deals very bluntly with genocide, diaspora, racism and class tensions in the span of 20 minutes. And it just goes deeper with every following episode.

ReBoot itself was written for Canadian television first and foremost and then had to be dialed back for American television, doubly so because the BS&P rep they had assigned to their show specifically was a real miserable bore. They actually put a parody of her in one episode to try and show her how unreasonable she was being, and she was not amused in the slightest.

so why was american versions so restrictive at the time?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

I was talking about how Mainframe's graphical prowess improved over time.

Main thing mucking with Beast Wars was its connection to the toy line; the main reason the cast kept changing or dying was due to whatever figures were being shuffled in or out of the line. Hence the peak example of Tigerhawk appearing out of nowhere, hanging around for two whole episodes, and then promptly dying. It's a testament to the writers that they made it all work despite that.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 23, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I was talking about how Mainframe's graphical prowess improved over time.

Main thing mucking with Beast Wars was its connection to the toy line; the main reason the cast kept changing or dying was due to whatever figures were being shuffled in or out of the line. Hence the peak example of Tigerhawk appearing out of nowhere, hanging around for two whole episodes, and then promptly dying. It's a testament to the writers that they made it all work despite that.

yeah that was the most interesting part from the phelos video was the scenes from the behind the scenes videos of the writers just winging it and then going off of nerd ideas and toy stuff. it makes me wonder if most franchise writers do that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My favorite toy adaptations are the old 70s/80s Marvel comics, where you had underdeveloped lines like Micronauts or ROM get turned into bonkers-but-compelling space epics. (Plus all of the work done on, appropriately enough, the G1 Transformers comics.) Which then eventually led to them trying to go in reverse with Brute Force. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

My favorite toy adaptations are the old 70s/80s Marvel comics, where you had underdeveloped lines like Micronauts or ROM get turned into bonkers-but-compelling space epics. (Plus all of the work done on, appropriately enough, the G1 Transformers comics.) Which then eventually led to them trying to go in reverse with Brute Force. :allears:

GI Joe comics were great too. tons of death and weird interesting stuff. Cobra commander was used car salesmen who starts Cobra is some angry Right wing thing and takes over a small town as its secret captial. and all the crimson guard dudes have replacement duplicates.