Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I think Talks is only VOD for Twitch subscribers and Alpha subscribers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
There's a couple that are available for free on YT, but they're the exception not the norm. The vast majority are only on Twitch as paid-for content.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CobiWann posted:

Vex is discussing tactics with regards to the Briarwoods and Orion says something along the lines of her coming up with a plan "giving him a half-chub," however the way he says it it comes off that he's talking about Laura, not Vex.

Travis isn't a fan of shopping episodes in general (he jokes about them throughout the campaign) and Orion's actions are causing him to die a little bit inside...however one can literally see the moment immediately after where Travis is ready to lay into Orion. I believe he mumbles "I am going to kill him" at one point as well.

He also openly, non-jokingly starts telling Orion that none of what he's doing matters, and at one point Matt is clearly nervous laughing to hide his frustration with Orion's bullshit.

It's miserable.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
One of the most common roleplaying advice I've been getting throughout the years is that your character's backstory shouldn't try to be more interesting than the campaigns story, since that is what your actual game is going to be about.

And can't shake the feeling that the new campaign is ignoring that, to bad effect, since it weakens the feeling of the players as an actual team. It sometimes feel as if the sessions are just another opportunity for everybody to find out new super special details about every character's super special backstory, while the actual campaign story and the story of them as a team takes a back seat.

e X fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 22, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The best way is to paint a character that you will mostly fill in during play. Have a short little 4 sentence story that sums up the character. Honestly you could probably just use the tables in XGTE if we're talking 5E (or use this website: https://trwolfe13.github.io/tiyl/) I also like to elevator pitch it, "This is a Ranger that is basically Snake Plissken Van Helsing", "I am playing Indiana Jones Luke Skywalker with a crossbow", "I am Lawful Good Kratos" that sort of thing. My Sunday game that I DM takes some inspiration from CR, though, and my sessions tend to be about 1/2 focused on integrating background stuff with some unique opportunities to contribute/"make up stuff" within reason during play, and the other half the meta overarching plot. I try to tie these together. It's been working exceptionally well.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 22, 2018

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Blockhouse posted:

He also openly, non-jokingly starts telling Orion that none of what he's doing matters, and at one point Matt is clearly nervous laughing to hide his frustration with Orion's bullshit.

It's miserable.

Was that his last session either way? Also what was up with the mirrors?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

He was gonna try to make an Archimedes Death Ray, because, well, Silas was a vampire and all. Percy also tried to make something similar earlier and failed.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 22, 2018

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

e X posted:

One of the most common roleplaying advice I've been getting throughout the years is that your character's backstory shouldn't try to be more interesting than the campaigns story, since that is what your actual game is going to be about.

And can't shake the feeling that the new campaign is ignoring that, to bad effect, since it weakens the feeling of the players as an actual team. It sometimes feel as if the sessions are just another opportunity for everybody to find out new super special details about every character's super special backstory, while the actual campaign story and the story of them as a team takes a back seat.

I mean at this point they're too early in the campaign to really have an overarching story. They're just murderhobos at the moment, wandering from job to job. I don't know how long it will take Matt to decide they're ready to deal with a long form story arc but I'm definitely not worried that it won't be interesting when they do.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CuwiKhons posted:

I mean at this point they're too early in the campaign to really have an overarching story. They're just murderhobos at the moment, wandering from job to job. I don't know how long it will take Matt to decide they're ready to deal with a long form story arc but I'm definitely not worried that it won't be interesting when they do.

Not really? They are on episode 22 now, which means they have around 70 hours of campaigning behind them, besides, you can start an overarching plot from session 1. And like I said, the problem I see is that they made their characters various backstories much more interesting than the actual ongoing story of the campaign. They might call themselves the Mighty Nine, but they don't really have an angoing story as a group, they basically just a collection of individuals, that often feels like they wouldn't even be in a group if that weren't necessary for the game.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I mean early in the campaign in the sense that they're still only level 5 and as Marisha said on Talks Machina awhile back, they do not yet consider themselves a group of heroes whose job it is to solve larger, more dangerous problems. I think they're going to trip headlong into one sooner rather than later, but you have to remember this campaign is likely going to last 3+ years. It's going to be slow going for awhile.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

As it stands, the overarching story has been affecting the Mighty Nein's story even if it hasn't been the driving force. The dark elves, the war, the artifact. It hasn't been front and center for the group, but it does sound pretty interesting and epic.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

As it stands, the overarching story has been affecting the Mighty Nein's story even if it hasn't been the driving force. The dark elves, the war, the artifact. It hasn't been front and center for the group, but it does sound pretty interesting and epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1F4OduqrtQ

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

It seems they announced their first new mechandise after going independent, a kickstarter for miniatures of both Vox Machina and the Mighty Nein.

https://critrole.com/new-official-critical-role-miniatures/

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Adnor posted:

It seems they announced their first new mechandise after going independent, a kickstarter for miniatures of both Vox Machina and the Mighty Nein.

https://critrole.com/new-official-critical-role-miniatures/

I like that Doty is listed but Tiberius isn't.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sion posted:

He needs to be saved for Geek & Sundry's Knights of Draconia supplement (no relation to Draconian Knights).

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Sion posted:

Doty was a better party member.

No but seriously, on a more confusing note, I'm surprised Shakaste and Pumat Sol are in there but Gilmore, Kash, and Zahra (and maybe Kerrek) aren't in the CR 1 set.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Gotta save something for stretch goals.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Genuinely, I think there might be licencing issues with them. This feels weird.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
It's ok if the guests' characters are "licensed" to the players but Shakaste is an odd choice.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I mean it might simply be a matter of asking permission and Khary got back to them the fastest.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just seen the episode with Calebs backstory is revealed. Hahahahaha What the gently caress.

Seriously you guys What the gently caress.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

No but seriously, on a more confusing note, I'm surprised Shakaste and Pumat Sol are in there but Gilmore, Kash, and Zahra (and maybe Kerrek) aren't in the CR 1 set.

I will only be satisfied if Pumat Sol comes as a 4-pack.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
chitoryu12 pointed out to me that this thread exists, and I'm so exited. I looked for one a few times, but I guess it hadn't been made yet.

I can't stop listening to the D&D Beyond song. Help.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Josef bugman posted:

Just seen the episode with Calebs backstory is revealed. Hahahahaha What the gently caress.

Seriously you guys What the gently caress.

Liam never stops winning D&D

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kraps posted:

Liam never stops winning D&D

I still prefer Travis.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Josef bugman posted:

I still prefer Travis.

Watching through C1, nobody commits quite as hard as Travis does.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Slight spoilers for episode 61 but one of the best Travis commiting real hard moments.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Sion posted:

Slight spoilers for episode 61 but one of the best Travis commiting real hard moments.

Thats the exact moment I think of when someone mentions how hard Travis commits.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Teddybear posted:

I just finished Episode 103 - Grog and Scanlan vs. the Vasselheim Guard.

By Vecna I haven't laughed that hard since Grog and Taryon vs. the Vasselheim guard.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

If we're sharing favorite Travis bits, these also stick out:

C1E45 - (Grog has a conversation with Craven Edge in the privy while Scanlan stands guard)
C1E56 - (Grog and the Alchemy Jug)
C1E86 - (Vex tries to tell Grog about stealing his Deck of Many Things)
C1E99 - (Grog vs. Lionel, barbarian vs. barbarian)
C2E03 - (Fjord hustles some guards)

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

CobiWann posted:

I just finished Episode 103 - Grog and Scanlan vs. the Vasselheim Guard.

By Vecna I haven't laughed that hard since Grog and Taryon vs. the Vasselheim guard.

It's such an amazing chain reaction of 'oh-no.'

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
So, a couple of weeks ago I introduced my players to a friendly adventuring party who are expies of Vox Machina; most of them, anyway, as the group only included Grog, Vax, Vex, Scanlan, and Keyleth. They were both headed through dangerous territory towards the same location, so they all decided it would be safest to travel together. This was especially beneficial to my party, as they're a pretty small group, and VM outgunned them both in manpower and character level. It went well, all things considered, with the party relishing the chance to see characters with powers from classes they hadn't chosen doing cool stuff alongside them.

This week, though... well, one of my players (the barbarian) is carrying a cursed sword. It's not his primary weapon; it's more like an artifact he's been charged with carrying around until he can figure out what to do with it. And while it's sheathed, it's totally fine. But if it gets drawn, he has to fight against it or risk being taken over, killing anything around him indiscriminately until he can either wrest control back from the blade and sheath it, or he's knocked unconscious. He's never drawn it in the campaign so far because he takes his oath to protect it very seriously, and because he knows firsthand how dangerous it is to wield.

But he had also never encountered Rust Monsters before. Rust Monsters who immediately started chowing down on his and Grog's weapons. Rust Monsters with whom he was trapped alongside Grog inside a large magic bubble created by a bead of force thrown by a fellow party member. So today he decided to finally unsheathe the magic sword.

Long story short, the day ended with Grog, Scanlan and Keyleth dead, and the PC being so distraught over the hand he played in it that he chose to kill himself in penance. It was a really heartwrenching moment for the party, especially as the party's paladin (who has always had a sort of rivalry with the barbarian) arrived back on the scene just in time to watch the barbarian stab himself.

Now I'm just sort of wondering what Vax and Vex will do. My gut instinct is "escape and then come back later as enemies with Pike and Percy in tow" which could make for a fun moment when the party has to deal with them as enemies.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Not even an hour into the most recent episode yet, and I already love Hupperdook and all its associated antics. :swoon:

edit: Oh God, Caleb calling Jester "Astrid" in his drunken stupor is the most awkward and sudden mood killing thing. That was perfectly timed.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 26, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

CuwiKhons posted:

There's an element of "new stuff is in higher demand" to this I expect. Even if you took people already having Vox Machina shirts out of the equation I'm sure the Mighty Nein shirt would be selling better than main Vox Machina shirt right now, since the Nein are the new hotness.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

escalator dropdown posted:

If we're sharing favorite Travis bits, these also stick out:

C1E45 - (Grog has a conversation with Craven Edge in the privy while Scanlan stands guard)
C1E56 - (Grog and the Alchemy Jug)
C1E86 - (Vex tries to tell Grog about stealing his Deck of Many Things)
C1E99 - (Grog vs. Lionel, barbarian vs. barbarian)
C2E03 - (Fjord hustles some guards)

C1e86 is great because of everyone else's response to how quick on his feet Travis is when Laura starts in. Taliesin nearly doubling over and whispering "How is he this good?" basically sums it up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

C1e86 is great because of everyone else's response to how quick on his feet Travis is when Laura starts in. Taliesin nearly doubling over and whispering "How is he this good?" basically sums it up.

"Where....did you find one?"

Taliesin immediately knows where this is going.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
My favorite Grog moment is in Episode 95, when he gives away a card from the Deck to a drunk man with no family, hoping to see him get killed or something equally terrible happen only for it to be the Moon card, which grants the man 2 Wishes. Drawn from a full deck of cards, too! 1 in 52 chance and removes the card from the Deck permanently.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
One of my favorite Grog moments is when Kima tells him not to lie but to say he hadn't seen her, and he makes the giant confused puppy dog eyes

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Spoil me please, does Grog ever get a full on Gandalf beard from his dwarven belt? C1E24 He just got scruff, and he's always so excited for anything including when they tied bits of rope to his chin as a prank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Gandalf beard, like belt length? No. Full, thick, luscious beard? Hell yes.