Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Just delete stupid messages

It just says "report" and "quote" here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Why do I have to waste my time explaining to someone why they can't use Educational Licensed software at work?

You don't, just forward it to their manager?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wibla posted:

You don't, just forward it to their manager?

There's about a 90% chance this person is going to be my boss by the end of the year...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mewse posted:

:drat:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

mewse posted:

:master:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

mewse posted:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

There's about a 90% chance this person is going to be my boss by the end of the year...

Time to get the gently caress out then.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bob Morales posted:

Wibla posted:

Time to get the gently caress out then.

This or sabotage. Your choice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I like that my var continues to somehow create new VMware customer numbers instead of adding them to my current one. This was like the 5th time I had to call support. Brb, committing murder.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

A critical path domain expired. It was being renewed on a terminated employees P-card. Our deploy pipeline is hosed until it recovers. Happy a Friday on-call guy that’s not me. I sent off forward of a email from last Friday where we laid out why it was bad IT owned our domains for AWS regions instead of having it in Route53 and then left.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

Owners daughter complained about blurry logos on our invoices. I said the logo isn't blurry per se, but it's the way the image is blown up when it's printed.
[...]
THIS WOMAN IS IN CHARGE OF MARKETING

Of course she is. Blaming others for my own inability is an important key skill in this profssion.

Can i point out that i really like boring and simple vector grapics for logos?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Ahh...the "every 90 days" report our CEO requests of everyone who's used the VPN, and 'recommendations' on who should be removed from the list of VPN users.

Got a phone call from our finance manager on Friday evening “is there a reason I can’t connect to the vpn?”

We’re supposed to say ‘let me check’ and then enable them

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

OutofSight posted:

Can i point out that i really like boring and simple vector grapics for logos?

Nah we need the anniversary logo for this year. Also can you add this “green company” logo to remind our customers how environmentally conscious we are when they look at your printed and mailed paper statements?

She was also mad that we couldn’t use that as one of two company logos when we setup our CLIUD BASED ERP SOFTWARE. The old software let us customize the header/logo area. ONLY PEOPLE THAT WORK HERE CAN SEE THAT AND THEY DONT GIVE A gently caress

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bob Morales posted:

Got a phone call from our finance manager on Friday evening “is there a reason I can’t connect to the vpn?”

We’re supposed to say ‘let me check’ and then enable them

"Let me check. Yeah, it looks like you were disabled as a cost saving measure. I assume because wasting your time and mine is cheaper than an extra license because it doesn't show on any balance sheet."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is it normal to spend $50k to have a firm design a new website, when it's completed, tell them you hate it and then do it internally like I suggested we do 2 years ago?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Is it normal to spend $50k to have a firm design a new website, when it's completed, tell them you hate it and then do it internally like I suggested we do 2 years ago?

Yes

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

"Normal" might be stretching it, but that is a thing that happens.

Most companies would have periodic check-ins to iterate it so there's no "I hate it" at the end. Building a sense of participation and ownership through the process avoids that pretty well.

Of course, sometimes it's still a guy one, two, or three levels over that who shits all over the whole thing, even when you do it right.

But I find that's often more a symptom of a dysfunctional workplace than anything else.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

This is every procurement exercise that's ever been undertaken

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

"Normal" might be stretching it, but that is a thing that happens.

Most companies would have periodic check-ins to iterate it so there's no "I hate it" at the end. Building a sense of participation and ownership through the process avoids that pretty well.

Of course, sometimes it's still a guy one, two, or three levels over that who shits all over the whole thing, even when you do it right.

But I find that's often more a symptom of a dysfunctional workplace than anything else.

The new marketing manager used it as reason to fire the old one and assert her 'dominance'

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bob Morales posted:

The new marketing manager used it as reason to fire the old one and assert her 'dominance'

Yeah, that's dysfunctional, as is to be expected when you work in the fifth circle of hell.

I honestly don't know why you still work there, to be honest.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I honestly don't know why you still work there, to be honest.

Applied for a job on Friday

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Applied for a job on Friday

:yotj:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bob Morales posted:

Depends. Are they insinuating that it is somehow your fault?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spog posted:

Depends. Are they insinuating that it is somehow your fault?

Nah this one has nothing to do with IT

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have mixed feelings about our website being under the control of marketing.

On one hand, it's nice to be able to just not worry about it unless they explicitly ask for help.

On the other hand, sometimes I see the decisions they make and want to grab them by the shoulders and shake them screaming "DO YOU WANT TO GET ANTSHACKED? BECAUSE THIS IS HOW YOU GET ANTSHACKED!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ISP accidentally cancelled our service about five months into a 36 month term :bravo:

Fortunately it was a backup circuit but that's a special kind of fuckup there. It sounds like they've tried to be clever and linked their internal CRM with the APIs of all their providers, so when a customer cancels a service it places a cease order to avoid paying for things that aren't being billed. In this case it just blindly terminated service when somebody hosed up a CRM record.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

ISP accidentally cancelled our service about five months into a 36 month term :bravo:

Fortunately it was a backup circuit but that's a special kind of fuckup there. It sounds like they've tried to be clever and linked their internal CRM with the APIs of all their providers, so when a customer cancels a service it places a cease order to avoid paying for things that aren't being billed. In this case it just blindly terminated service when somebody hosed up a CRM record.

I had a circuit shut off by AT&T prematurely. I thought someone in the area hit a fiber line or something.

The first round of techs I called did the circuit tested fine

The second set of techs said they couldn’t find the circuit anywhere in the system

Neither of them could see any billing data and didn’t realize it was disconnected by their internal department

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Bob Morales posted:

I had a circuit shut off by AT&T prematurely. I thought someone in the area hit a fiber line or something.

The first round of techs I called did the circuit tested fine

The second set of techs said they couldn’t find the circuit anywhere in the system

Neither of them could see any billing data and didn’t realize it was disconnected by their internal department

I've had AT&T take weeks to resolve an outage because of Schrödinger's Circuits - both there and not there. They'd acknowledge the LEC was there, the billing was there, the service and monitoring was there, but the circuit was not.

So no support.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I wonder how much better service the NSA gets from AT&T vs the rest of us plebs

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

I wonder how much better service the NSA gets from AT&T vs the rest of us plebs

You surely mean the service AT&T gets from NSA ...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Volguus posted:

You surely mean the service AT&T gets from NSA ...

Nah, when the NSA says 'you need to do this hugely complex thing, behind closed doors, or else we'll look a lot more closely at those sexy texts you sent a few years back' the C-suite guy in the crosshairs does a really good job getting poo poo resolved.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bob Morales posted:

Clients From Hell is littered with stories like that, yes. Design work seems like a nightmare hell of client indecision and lies.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Virigoth posted:

A critical path domain expired. It was being renewed on a terminated employees P-card. Our deploy pipeline is hosed until it recovers. Happy a Friday on-call guy that’s not me. I sent off forward of a email from last Friday where we laid out why it was bad IT owned our domains for AWS regions instead of having it in Route53 and then left.

:lol:

I ran into this at the MSP where I worked - we had a client that decided to switch to a different, cheaper MSP in the area so we had to gather any documentation to provide to the new company. While we were going through documents for domain registration and renewal, we found out it was on the CC of a former employee who had quit like 2 years prior and we had zero contact information for. The office manager never mentioned this guy leaving or being let go and the information they had on file was out of date, all methods we used to contact the person failed. We worked with the domain hosting service to see what could be done but the last resort was literally trying to verify the former employee was in fact a former employee so we could gain access to the account details.

It wasn't the first time it happened with this office where someone left or a major change happened that we didn't get notified about. They bitched up a storm but ended up having to rebuild their company sites because nobody could get in touch with the former employee that they had stupidly made a single point of failure. Even the manager had to be petty and say something along the lines of "this is why we're leaving you guys, you can't get your act together". Best part? We had offered to move all their sites and hosting to our internal GoDaddy account for easy management, and it was shot down because the manager was a control freak. Not even a year into their time with their newer, cheaper, closer MSP, they reached back out to us (and several other companies) because they "weren't happy with the service". We didn't take them back, thankfully.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just got the results in for team allocations next quarter, after a survey where I stated I'd very much like to move to another team.

I am of course allocated to the same team.

Why even ask if you're just going to ignore it?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Jaded Burnout posted:

Just got the results in for team allocations next quarter, after a survey where I stated I'd very much like to move to another team.

A quote I got from a previous place I worked, "Just because we say all employees have a voice, doesn't mean we have to listen."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zil posted:

A quote I got from a previous place I worked, "Just because we say all employees have a voice, doesn't mean we have to listen."

:aaa:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jaded Burnout posted:

If "I'd very much like to move to another team" is as strong a feedback as you're giving, management may be busy putting out bigger fires. Could be a squeaky wheel gets the grease here.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

baquerd posted:

If "I'd very much like to move to another team" is as strong a feedback as you're giving, management may be busy putting out bigger fires. Could be a squeaky wheel gets the grease here.

As opposed to, "If you don't move me I'm going to bring a gun and shoot everyone."?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

“You have got to move me to another team before I go insane. [Name of current team member] is an incompetent fool with terrible personal hygiene and I cannot bear his/her/their horseshit for even one more day.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Weedle posted:

“You have got to move me to another team before I go insane. [Name of current team member] is an incompetent fool with terrible personal hygiene and I cannot bear his/her/their horseshit for even one more day.”

Let me just jot that down here.

Weedle:

>Not a team player
>Unable to speak and behave professionally

I think this is really going to impact your performance review this year.