Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
:eyepop: TSMC has announced they will begin risk production of 5nm in 1H 2019 and volume production in 2H 2019-1H 2020. Intel may end up being screwed even if they do get 10nm working next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Cancelbot posted:

I won an 8086k from the sweepstakes :woop:

Just filled out the verification form, had to check the original terms to make sure it wasn't a scam :v:

Congrats, filled out mine too. Seeing as how I'm going to be gaming more than anything I'm not going with the Threadripper exchange, despite how much I want a processor called Threadripper

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Congrats, filled out mine too. Seeing as how I'm going to be gaming more than anything I'm not going with the Threadripper exchange, despite how much I want a processor called Threadripper

You should trade for a TR and sell it then buy a 8700K and use the extra money to buy your mobo and RAM.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You could sell the Threadripper 1950X, a processor that's far more valuable than an 8086K - essentially just an 8700K, then buy an 8700K and crates of beer/other computer poo poo.
Seriously, I can't really think of a scenario in which you wouldn't want to swap $340 for $870.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

VulgarandStupid posted:

You should trade for a TR and sell it then buy a 8700K and use the extra money to buy your mobo and RAM.

HalloKitty posted:

You could sell the Threadripper 1950X, a processor that's far more valuable than an 8086K - essentially just an 8700K, then buy an 8700K and crates of beer/other computer poo poo.
Seriously, I can't really think of a scenario in which you wouldn't want to swap $340 for $870.

Wait, did not realize they were worth that much!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

it appears intel isn't shipping till after the TR sweepstakes closes, so that no-one can trade for TR
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/8t1aws/i_think_i_won_the_intel_sweepstakes_but/

mewse
May 2, 2006

Condiv posted:

it appears intel isn't shipping till after the TR sweepstakes closes, so that no-one can trade for TR
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/8t1aws/i_think_i_won_the_intel_sweepstakes_but/

Nice!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
AMD should extend the sweepstakes indefinitely then.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seriously. They need to clear inventory for the 2990X and other Ryzen+ TR models anyway.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Yep just checked. October. Those bastards!

I have a 4670k now. So it's still an upgrade.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/1010284905442480128?s=19

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's almost like people who shitpost on a dead comedy forum know it too.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I bet AMD do something. It's good for them, more publicity.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah AMD's just going to use the delay to step the offer up to the 2990X and look even better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I bet you can ebay the 8086 to dumb nerds for the most profit. Leave it in its box and get the most money you can from it.

eames
May 9, 2009

Uh so if Intel skips 10nm they’ll have to sell refined 14nm CPUs for another 2 years? Maybe we‘ll be up to 10 or 12 cores with Coffee Lake by then. :tif:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
That is if everything goes incredibly right and there are no issues whatsoever than yeah maybe they're stuck with 14nm++ for only 2yr or so.

There are some harsh rumors going around about the whole cobalt path they took with 10nm and highly ambitious attempts at big gains I guess and if they went the same way with 7nm then it could be easily more than a 2yr wait. IIRC the big issue with their 7nm was they were supposed to go EUV with 7nm and everyone else was trying to go baby steps with EUV since its supposed to be real hard to do and I guess Intel is now just gonna jump right in?

Not looking good right now but really no one, probably even at Intel, really knows how long its going to take exactly at this point to get 7nm up and running for them so I wouldn't go expecting Intel to fold just yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Even if they skip 10mn for 7nm, it's not like this is done in just two weeks. --e:f,b

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 23, 2018

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
We can't get the better thing soon, because they're aiming for something even better which takes time. Just have patience.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

eames posted:

Uh so if Intel skips 10nm they’ll have to sell refined 14nm CPUs for another 2 years? Maybe we‘ll be up to 10 or 12 cores with Coffee Lake by then.
I'm pretty sure no one expects Intel to be leading desktop/server cpu competition again until 2021 or so. But, who knows what will happen. It's all speculation.

We could be talking about how bad AMD screwed up when given a golden opportunity in a year or two. Intel could pull something out of their rear end at some point. While they've had process problems that have resulted in no new architectures leaking down, surely the guys doing architecture stuff have done a whole hell of a lot of work that we haven't seen in the past 5-6 years?

AMD also has a strong history of having better products and still getting wildly outsold in all markets. It's hard to remember that because during this decade they've had largely inferior products.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 23, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

a completely unrelated observation: good dual channel DDR4 on Z370 (62GB/s and 38ns) is faster than the 128MB eDRAM L4 Cache (50GB/s and 50ns) on old Crystalwell/Broadwell CPUs

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Khorne posted:

We could be talking about how bad AMD screwed up when given a golden opportunity in a year or two.
Eh pretty unlikely given all the news about Zen2 on track and TSMC's 7nm already getting ready for HVM. Sounds like everything is coming together for them and given that they seemed to have planned for Intel to be fairly aggressive, and Intel being stuck and unable to really deliver anything like they expected, I think AMD gots a real chance to get some decent market share. They could easily be up to their old peak market share numbers they reached with A64/Opteron within a couple of years.

Khorne posted:

Intel could pull something out of their rear end at some point.
Rumor mill is saying they counted heavily on 10nm getting fixed and when that fell through so did any of the major redesign work.

They still have some stuff coming, going by the rumor mill MCMed Xeons a la Epyc, so its not like they can't compete at all here. It won't be as bad as Sandybridge vs BD was for Intel here. They're just going to have to mostly compete on price and lotsa cores which they really really hate doing. Especially in the server market because Xeons are a giant cash cow for them normally and if AMD starts taking chunks of that away it'll really hurt their bottom line.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I won an 8086k and I don't know what I want to do. About 6 months ago I built a 1600x and paired it with a 1070. I've got a 60hz monitor.

I'm thinking either: buy a new motherboard, and enjoy some moderately improved performance OR

Sell it and buy a 144hz G-Sync monitor.

What should I do?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Probably do this: https://www.amd.com/en/campaigns/threadripper-exchange

And of course you will need a new TR mobo for that.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

redeyes posted:

Probably do this: https://www.amd.com/en/campaigns/threadripper-exchange

And of course you will need a new TR mobo for that.
I considered that, but then I'd just turn around and sell the threadripper. Also, AMD are only doing this for the first 40 customers.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Intel is also sending out the processors after the AMD contest wins, so unless AMD is a real bro and extends the date, looks like nobody is getting their threadrippers.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Khorne posted:

AMD also has a strong history of having better products and still getting wildly outsold in all markets. It's hard to remember that because during this decade they've had largely inferior products.

Part of that was because of Intel’s illegal rebate/incentive program though. They probably (?) aren’t offering anything like that this time around.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Get the GSync display. Tear- and jitter-free framerates are a bigger plus than a slightly faster processor.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SourKraut posted:

Part of that was because of Intel’s illegal rebate/incentive program though. They probably (?) aren’t offering anything like that this time around.

AMD wouldn't have the production capacity to grow their shipments anyway when they still had fabs. Intel could have been a node behind then and it still wouldn't mattered one bit.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Well, I took the plunge and bought a no-name Chinese X79 board + Ivy Bridge Xeon E5-2680v2(10c/20t@2.8ghz) $290 for it all and I was able to repurpose some old DDR3 I had lying around.

It works about as well as you might expect for an ECS-level board - the Intel chipset drivers did not want to take on Win7, which means the Intel USB3 ports don’t work on that OS.

It went okay on Win10, though, and seems rock-stable, 4 hours of IBT only got temps up to 60 degrees on the hottest core and the cheap tower HSF(the only thing I had lying around that worked on LGA2011) only barely got warm to the touch. Not used to how little voltage Xeons need at stock clocks.

It tore through Cinebench nicely and game perf is fine, considering the mediocre clockspeed, plus VM’s run like a dream, so I’m relatively pleased.

If It wasn’t for the price of DDR4, I’d have gone with a Rysen 2600x, but mobo, processor and memory would have more than doubled the price.

eames
May 9, 2009

News site reports that 14nm Z390 may be cancelled and Z370 will be renamed Z390 for the 8 core launch.

https://translate.googleusercontent...ipset-06222018/

some people also found 8 core support in (launch) Z370 bios files so the whole Z270/Z370 drama was probably because of the 8 core.

https://imgur.com/h9ksVXh

I have a feeling Z390 boards will have even beefier VRMs to support 10C CPUs

eames fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 25, 2018

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
AMD Intel: MAKE MORE CORES :pseudo:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have a Dell laptop with Xeon processors in it (and an Nvidia GPU). When I play videyagames they get so hot Windows actually shuts down (without even giving me a heads up :argh:). I'm told there's an Intel software to lower the CPU voltage, therefore lowering the heat. How can I do that?

E: I don't really need the full power of the CPU, so I'm fine with getting less performance out of it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
You're looking for Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility, which allows you to tweak a lot of parameters on recent models like voltage and turbo duration. It also includes CPU and memory stress tests which are pretty basic but OK for rough stability testing when overclocking.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Eletriarnation posted:

You're looking for Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility, which allows you to tweak a lot of parameters on recent models like voltage and turbo duration.

Thank you my kind goon.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Furism posted:

I have a Dell laptop with Xeon processors in it (and an Nvidia GPU). When I play videyagames they get so hot Windows actually shuts down (without even giving me a heads up :argh:). I'm told there's an Intel software to lower the CPU voltage, therefore lowering the heat. How can I do that?

E: I don't really need the full power of the CPU, so I'm fine with getting less performance out of it.

If this is an older laptop, you may also need to crack it open and replace the thermal paste and pads. After a few years of usage, especially if you overheat it a few times, the paste gets dried out and stops working, and it'll overheat more and more easily.

My Thinkpad was doing this at anything over minimum clockrates (and sometimes overheating even then) and I replaced the thermal paste and now it doesn't even break 60C under load.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Paul MaudDib posted:

If this is an older laptop, you may also need to crack it open and replace the thermal paste and pads. After a few years of usage, especially if you overheat it a few times, the paste gets dried out and stops working, and it'll overheat more and more easily.

My Thinkpad was doing this at anything over minimum clockrates (and sometimes overheating even then) and I replaced the thermal paste and now it doesn't even break 60C under load.

It's a brand new (and otherwise kick rear end) laptop. It's just that this one game (Pillars of Eternity 2) overheats it and I don't know why the CPU wouldn't clock itself down. I decreased the voltage by 0.1, will see how that goes!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Furism posted:

It's a brand new (and otherwise kick rear end) laptop. It's just that this one game (Pillars of Eternity 2) overheats it and I don't know why the CPU wouldn't clock itself down. I decreased the voltage by 0.1, will see how that goes!

you might be able to undervolt by around .9. that's what I do with my recent laptop, and it works great

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/witeken/status/1011404975593984000?s=19

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Tell ya what though, if I can get some surplus Phis for video encoding I'd be all over that. 64C of AVX512 would tear x265 the gently caress up.

I looked a few weeks ago and you're talking about like $1000 for the board and $1000 for a chip ($500 for ES). Drop that to say, $500 for a mobo+CPU and I'm dtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Condiv posted:

you might be able to undervolt by around .9. that's what I do with my recent laptop, and it works great

So interestingly enough if I undervolt by more than .150 I get a Blue Screen of Death (which is really uncommon on Windows 10). I tried many settings (starting from .1 to .2 and then do .150, .175, .135, etc.. basically a binary search) and .150 is the limit. If I go beyond that the GUI just freezes and then the PC either reboots straight away or gives me a BSoD.

Is there any reason for this?