Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://streamable.com/qwuek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Didn't get it until I put on my headphones. :lol:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just picked the two compilations up since they were on sale, I’ve heard the shanked the skills around a bit in the remake of the first game, how do I respond to the questions at the beginning to get block as early as possible?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is that the new Devil May Cry Featuring Dante From DMC?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zonko_T.M. posted:

BBS was much better about this.
What no it wasn’t

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

It's amazing how much better KH2 is to KH1 though.

I'll take Atlantica 2: The Musicial to Atlantica 1: Swimming Controls for Combat Suck and the Camera is Terrible.

Well that's too bad, because swimming and underwater combat are back for KH3.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

At the very least I hope the swimming controls are more like KH2 than they were in KH1. I also hope they actually do something new with that world at least instead of rehashing the plot of The Little Mermaid for a 4th time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah and I bet it won’t play like poo poo like KH1 does. KH1 is just all around kinda a bad game that plays like poo poo in all possible ways.

The gap in playability between KH1 and KH2 is like the grand loving canyon.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kh1 is the best game in the series

2 has better combat but worse everything else

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Larryb posted:

At the very least I hope the swimming controls are more like KH2 than they were in KH1. I also hope they actually do something new with that world at least instead of rehashing the plot of The Little Mermaid for a 4th time.

It's not for Atlantica. (It might also be for Atlantica. That world isn't confirmed yet...)

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

KH2 is an amazing game except for like, the first 10 hours or however long prologue is.

which i guess yeah, technically makes it very bad?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

It's not for Atlantica. (It might also be for Atlantica. That world isn't confirmed yet...)

Ariel's already been confirmed as a summon at least and I'm not really sure what else it could be (unless it's like a Finding Nemo world or something).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Turns out that if you skip all the cutscenes the Roxas/Bad Tanker chapter can be done in like an hour.

Kheldarn posted:

Ariel is a summon so it seems we are truly spared a return to Hell.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

kh1 is the best game in the series

2 has better combat but worse everything else

Yeah but since combat is like 90% of the game that seems fine, also I disagree. The platforming and character design in KH2 is also better

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Funky Valentine posted:

Turns out that if you skip all the cutscenes the Roxas/Bad Tanker chapter can be done in like an hour.

Ariel is a summon so it seems we are truly spared a return to Hell.

ariel is a summon... but she only works in atlantica, and the party member you get is melody :unsmigghh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but since combat is like 90% of the game that seems fine, also I disagree. The platforming and character design in KH2 is also better

platforming is worse by a huge margin, and as for character design it's disqualified by the presence of Org XIII alone

the improvements in combat weren't enough to make up for how stodgy and lifeless everything else felt

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Oxxidation posted:

platforming is worse by a huge margin, and as for character design it's disqualified by the presence of Org XIII alone

the improvements in combat weren't enough to make up for how stodgy and lifeless everything else felt

Org XIII are cool and my friends.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
how can they be cool or your friends if they have the same amount of screen time and character development as the fountain in ff1

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How is the platforming worse in KH2? You get all your movement abilities faster and all the platforms are distinct, as opposed to like... Monstro

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

How is the platforming worse in KH2? You get all your movement abilities faster and all the platforms are distinct, as opposed to like... Monstro

because it doesn't exist

all of the areas in kh2 were enormous barren plains with nothing interesting in the way of mechanics or design

i would rather take monstro again over something as dead as the Mulan world

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bust Rodd posted:

Mostly due to there not being any platforming in vanilla KH2.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh yeah, platforming in Kingdom Hearts, that thing that was famously incredible and I really miss

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yeah, removing platforming altogether was actually a fantastic move, really.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

JordanKai posted:

I don't want to dissuade anyone from trying to plat all the games, but just know that you'll probably still be working your way through getting the platinum trophy for Re:CoM by the time KH3 comes out.

You could just play the games without platinuming them.

e: totally misread that post, whoops

Larryb posted:

Ariel's already been confirmed as a summon at least and I'm not really sure what else it could be (unless it's like a Finding Nemo world or something).

It's Pirates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn5WNxy-Wcw

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

Oh yeah, platforming in Kingdom Hearts, that thing that was famously incredible and I really miss

i legitimately miss it and enjoyed DDD for the same reason

i liked engaging with the areas as something other than a bunch of interchangeable plains in which i had to grind through enemies

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

KH platforming always kinda sucked, even though I liked exploring the hell out of Hollow Bastion in 1. 3D's Flowmotion was the best platforming that the series ever had. 2's platforming being nonexistent was a bummer, but the combat was so good that it was easier to let it slide. Cave of Remembrance was a bunch of fun though, and I wish there was more poo poo like that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

fractalairduct posted:

You could just play the games without platinuming them.

e: totally misread that post, whoops

It's Pirates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn5WNxy-Wcw

Ah, well at least it won't be the main focus of the entire world this time at any rate. Hopefully that means we've been spared another visit to Atlantica this time around then.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think I've ever enjoyed platforming in a KH game, even Cavern of Remembrance. 3D was the worst of it though because of Flowmotion.

Like if I want a 3D platformer I'd rather just play Mario 64 again or something.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The movement abilities in KH2 are for fighting, not dicking around. They added the stickers and stuff for people who wanted that (and Dodge Roll) in Final Mix, but it was always meant for combat. I do not understand holding Atlantica of all things against KH2. The Roxas prologue sure (even if I think it's fine and only doesn't work on repeat playthroughs which is true of many things in life). Atlantica though? You can just never go there if you hate it that much.

Honestly I think playing as Riku in Chain of Memories is better than it was in 3D. He feels tangibly different from Sora in Chain, for better or worse. In Dream Drop Distance they have a few unique commands sure, but they aren't even as different as Terra, Aqua, and Ven.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Riku gets a combo of Aqua and Terra's commands if I remember right, while Sora just gets Ventus's stuff. It's why you can go more magic focused with Riku if you want, but he has a lot of Darkness stuff to fall back on too.

Also dream eater fusion is more fun than Sora's dream eater team attacks.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Allarion posted:

Riku gets a combo of Aqua and Terra's commands if I remember right, while Sora just gets Ventus's stuff. It's why you can go more magic focused with Riku if you want, but he has a lot of Darkness stuff to fall back on too.

Also dream eater fusion is more fun than Sora's dream eater team attacks.

I don't know, there's something to be said for having a giant Mickey Mouse dog buttstomping Xemnas.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My favorite part of Chain of Memories is having a 0 ready to break the sleight, but being too wrapped up in hitstun to actually use it. I wish you could rearrange Riku's decks. I get the challenge of them being preset, but being able to move them around would be great. There's no reason to have 0s in the middle, dang it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You just set one of those zeros onto the shortcut command.

Its kind of annoying having to do it with Riku every time you enter a new floor but it only takes a second.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The last Xehanort was hiding in Devil May Cry 2 all along.

(Something something Kingdom Hearts 3 featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series meme)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Linear Zoetrope posted:

The last Xehanort was hiding in Devil May Cry 2 all along.

(Something something Kingdom Hearts 3 featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series meme)

He hid in the one place no one would ever look, genius

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

Master Xehanort
Young Xehanort
Xemnas
"Ansem"
Xigbar
Saix
Marluxia
Larxene
Luxord
Terra-Nort
Aqua
Vanitas

That leaves just one slot open, and it's probably Demyx's.

:lol: If you think there will not be a surprise plot twist 14th Nort out of nowhere

It will turn out we were all nort all along

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

The 14th is the actual leader, revealed in the secret ending. After all of the Xehanorts are defeated, Kingdom Hearts shows up.

A body comes out of the darkness; it's Hank Hill, picking up Xehanort's keyblade and removes the keychain revealing a propane styled one.

"That boy ain't right"

also peter griffin is there, like how ASoD has that shadow duder

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 25, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

An I falls from the XIII and the remaining two cross, revealing it had been Organization XX the whole time, with 20 members controlled by two distinct Xehanorts.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The true villain turns out to be a giant living X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So I'm finally playing Birth By Sleep and I think I've got the general gameplay loop down - I'm playing it like fusing demons in SMT games, it seems like I should be using commands unless I max them out, always be swapping and trying to meld new commands, play Command Board when I can to get new poo poo. Does that sound right? I'm making a beeline for Magnega which seems super powerful. I'm a few worlds into Terra's story and I'm enjoying it so far