Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Bob Morales posted:

It's a $500 option a $25,000 car

So the answer is for Apple to charge more for Target Display Mode. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Mark Larson posted:

So the answer is for Apple to charge more for Target Display Mode. Got it.

It would be a good start if the justification for taking away the niceties is going to be that it hurts Apple’s bottom line. At this point if I’m going to pay for the dongles anyways, I’d rather just pay a few hundred extra up front for ports, the MagSafe, the SD cart slot, target display mode, headphone jacks, escape keys, etc.

I didn’t come to Apple because I was broke, I came because I could pay a premium for niceties like build quality, respecting my privacy/not installing OEM shitware, etc.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

MrBond posted:

Did you buy the undercoating too?
Hey man if you live in the rust belt it’s a must

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

THEY ARE FIXING THE KEYBOARDS

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Retroactive? Refunds?

edit: Oh, yes, at the bottom. Well! That's good news for a lot of people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Symptoms:
Letters or characters repeat unexpectedly
Letters or characters do not appear
Key(s) feel "sticky" or do not respond in a consistent manner

Eligible Models:
MacBook (Retina, 12-­inch, Early 2015)
MacBook (Retina, 12­-inch, Early 2016)
MacBook (Retina, 12-­inch, 2017)
MacBook Pro (13­-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (15-­inch, 2016)
MacBook Pro (15-­inch, 2017)

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will service eligible MacBook and MacBook Pro keyboards, free of charge. The type of service will be determined after the keyboard is examined and may involve the replacement of one or more keys or the whole keyboard.
Note: If your MacBook or MacBook Pro has any damage which impairs the service, that issue will need to be repaired first. In some cases, there may be a cost associated with the repair.
The program covers eligible MacBook and MacBook Pro models for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

After having mine repaired a week or so ago, I have no complaints about the keys anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

After having mine repaired a week or so ago, I have no complaints about the keys anymore.

Does it feel different typing on it?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Give it a year or six months and it will break again. They aren't replacing the keys with a different mechanism, same broken poo poo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Does it feel different typing on it?
Besides the same 3 keys not sticking anymore, not really no.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My 2016 keyboard stopped having a sticky key issue since I cleaned it a year ago. I don't know if you have to have an existing dead/sticky key or you can just go in and ask for the 2017 replacement.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Id be real surprised if they let you upgrade to a 2017 model.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

redeyes posted:

Id be real surprised if they let you upgrade to a 2017 model.
They replace the 2016 top case with a 2017’s.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

They replace the 2016 top case with a 2017’s.

Source?!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Besides the same 3 keys not sticking anymore, not really no.

Did you have a 2017 to begin with?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Source?!

Same here, had mine done in January. They don’t seem to distribute the 2016 tops anymore.

The keyboard is quieter and a little softer-feeling when typing. I didn’t have reliability issues with the 2016 and still don’t so I can’t comment on that. I regularly wipe down and give my absurdly expensive laptop a squirt with canned air though, so I may be an atypical user.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

redeyes posted:

Source?!
Me, I’m the source.

The Milkman posted:

Did you have a 2017 to begin with?
A few months ago I first noticed a 2016 come back with a 2017 top case:

It appears that Apple is updating the keyboards on 2016 MacBook Pros that go out for repair. My buddy sent his out for a logic board and top case replacement and it came back with an updated key design. I’ve never heard of this happening.

Old:

New:

And then 2 weeks ago I sent mine out:

Paper deadlines deferred this until today, but my 2016 went out for a new top case today. Fingers crossed it comes back with a 2017 top case.

The manager there admitted that she thinks there’s a repair program coming, for whatever that’s worth.

Got it back with a 2017 top case. :waycool:

Hopefull this works a little better.

tuyop posted:

The keyboard is quieter and a little softer-feeling when typing.
I maybe agree with this. It’s hard to say. I’ve been using it mostly with a keyboard and mouse the last couple of weeks so I haven’t had to use the built-in keyboard nearly as much.

tuyop posted:

I regularly wipe down and give my absurdly expensive laptop a squirt with canned air though, so I may be an atypical user.
This made no difference for me. The same 3 keys always had issues with sticking or double registering.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 23, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well ok. Thank you for the information. Good on Apple.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Imagine how much money they would have saved by using a better keyboard in the first place.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They can afford it. Also they don't care about Macs unless they are getting bad PR.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tim Cook doesn’t care about Mac people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

#MacKeyboardsMatter

eames
May 9, 2009

Does anybody happen to know when Apple will stop offering replacement batteries/top cases for 2013 MacBook Pros?

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty happy with my Macbook Pro, but its old enough now, that it'll give out any minute at this point.

Looking around, it looks like Apple got rid of optical digital out supported through the headphone jack on all models. Is that correct?

I still haven't wrapped my head around Thunderbolt and how that all works, but is there any way around this?

For context: Was thinking about finally getting around to buying a cheapish DAC for high-res audio, since I'm still trying to avoid jumping into the money void that is vinyl.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

eames posted:

Does anybody happen to know when Apple will stop offering replacement batteries/top cases for 2013 MacBook Pros?

5-7 years after they stop making them

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201624

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

moflika posted:

For context: Was thinking about finally getting around to buying a cheapish DAC for high-res audio, since I'm still trying to avoid jumping into the money void that is vinyl.

Buy a decent USB DAC. Do not listen to people who claim "OMG YOU MUST USE SP/DIF AND/OR OPTICAL", it's bullshit, a well designed USB DAC is fine. To figure out which USB DACs are fine, I recommend Audio Science Review. (A theme there seems to be that Topping DACs perform very well, are well-built, and are cheap.)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-index-for-audio-hardware-reviews.2079/

Also lol don't do vinyl unless it's for reasons like "I enjoy finding and playing cool old records" rather than being one of the crazy people who think it's better than digital.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

Good Advice

Awesome, didn't even know that USB is an option. Thanks :cheers:

O, and I would only be listening to 60s/70s African and Southeast Asian Funk reissues on vinyl. hahaha

Regardless, always nice to save some space and money by avoiding yet another new obsession.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

BobHoward posted:

Buy a decent USB DAC. Do not listen to people who claim "OMG YOU MUST USE SP/DIF AND/OR OPTICAL", it's bullshit, a well designed USB DAC is fine. To figure out which USB DACs are fine, I recommend Audio Science Review. (A theme there seems to be that Topping DACs perform very well, are well-built, and are cheap.)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-index-for-audio-hardware-reviews.2079/

Also lol don't do vinyl unless it's for reasons like "I enjoy finding and playing cool old records" rather than being one of the crazy people who think it's better than digital.

Wait, who suggests using SP/DIF instead of USB? The only reason I’ve seen those ports on an interface is for expandability.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

BobHoward posted:

i've been considering such a thing for a while, how lame is "if i own it physically i want the nice big version of the album art"

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

landgrabber posted:

i've been considering such a thing for a while, how lame is "if i own it physically i want the nice big version of the album art"

'have nothing in your home that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful' - william morris

in conclusion just make sure the album art is good as hell

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Me, I’m the source.

A few months ago I first noticed a 2016 come back with a 2017 top case:
Are 'new' top cases identified by the function key symbols? Because if so then I got a 2017 top case when I had my keyboard repaired a few months ago and one of the shift keys is already starting to act unreliable again :(

It's absurd to not have those symbols on all keyboards by default since they're all over the OS and there's no way to know what the are otherwise.

old_man_yells_at_cloud.jpg

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TACD posted:

Are 'new' top cases identified by the function key symbols?
Yep.

TACD posted:

Because if so then I got a 2017 top case when I had my keyboard repaired a few months ago and one of the shift keys is already starting to act unreliable again :(
I'm not surprised. :(

The only silver lining I can find: just keep getting it repaired and when they put a new model out with presumably a new keyboard design, get it swapped for that (if you have AppleCare).

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 25, 2018

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I skipped AppleCare for the first time figuring if there were issues with it they'd have a repair program, and lo.

Thankfully(?) I haven't had any permanently stuck keys since I replaced the one myself, just 2-3 of the "hold it upside and blast it with air for several minutes" kind, which still sucks. Then again, I've been not using it as much because I still just plain don't like typing on it. Of course now I'm looking forward to the next break so I can at least get it swapped for the slightly improved 2017 top.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

skull mask mcgee posted:

Wait, who suggests using SP/DIF instead of USB? The only reason I’ve seen those ports on an interface is for expandability.

Crazy audiophiles who invent all sorts of bullshit to believe about DACs so they can feel :smuggo: about being in the know, paying too much, etc. The line of “reasoning” is something like “well USB wasn’t designed exclusively for audio and SP/DIF was designed only for audio, therefore SP/DIF bettar”.

landgrabber posted:

That puts you solidly in the not-a-crazy-science-denialist category so you’re fine by me

I just get this tic when vinyl comes up, spent far too much of my life watching internet flame wars between insane woo believer audiophiles and people who actually understand the science and engineering of audio reproduction. There’s this type of vinyl audiophile who will argue till the end of time that digital audio is inherently harsh and awful and vinyl is better and subjective listening tests are superior to the objective scientific methodology.

They have to believe the last bit because their point of view gets demolished whenever subjected to scientific testing, whether it’s bench measurements or listening tests with rigorous bias controls. Most audiophiles have to go there to some extent, but the vinyl superiority types are particularly tiresome and irrational.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It’s interesting that the argument is for superiority instead of preference. Why don’t they just just say they prefer the sound and experience of vinyl?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

It’s interesting that the argument is for superiority instead of preference. Why don’t they just just say they prefer the sound and experience of vinyl?

I always assumed that just on a psychological level that kind of audiophile has to believe it is objectively superior, to justify to themselves the amount of cash they put into their setup (because those types always also buy into the idea of needing special cables, etc.).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use S/PDIF over TOSLINK to connect onboard audio to a cheapo LG soundbar I got on clearance

Do I get audiophile cred for that

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use a DJ controller primarily as a DAC. I used to use a minidisc deck. Im the one that audiophiles hate the most.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

Because then they’re not better and smarter than these MP3-having idiots and philistines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

tuyop posted:

There are some vinyl listeners who do just that, and more power to them.

As for the superiority type, I think it’s the same reason there’s gamers who swear that Star Citizen is already the best game ever: when you you get sucked in to spending absurd sums of money on a hobby, you don’t want to believe you could’ve done better for much less investment. Especially when you perceive spending a lot on that hobby as a social status symbol. So you double down on the thing you paid too much for not only being something you enjoy, but actually you fools who didn’t also buy in and are pointing out the flaws are just jealous of my amazing critical listening skills / discerning musical tastes / wonderful audio gear / etc.