Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B
E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B - Sounds fun, easy, and well-paying

E - Why else did we just pick up hacking? And human VI cores are probably near unreplaceable

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
B sounds too good to be true, but also fun.

What do we think our odds are on the hacking? I don't think we really need access to the facility right this instant, do we?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

BE

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
1. B
2. E

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

B sounds too good to be true, but also fun.

What do we think our odds are on the hacking? I don't think we really need access to the facility right this instant, do we?

Since we just picked up a nice bonus to our Programming skill, the odds are in the 70%-ish range for success.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BE a little bit badya

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BE A BADASS

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Does the Paladin Cosortium have any depots we can hit?

Toughy fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 17, 2018

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Toughy posted:

Does the Palladium Corp have any depots we can hit?

Paladin Consortium does have several digs on Mishpacha, and most likely has some sort of staging area. We can probably pull details from Bastion High's files, but might leave a trail. If 274-h cares about subtlety...

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CE, 274-H has the right idea

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C
E

C is on the condition that it's Paladin we're loving up. I feel like playing the bad guy on a popular reality TV show is gonna put a stain on our reputation in real life. I mean, yeah, it's obviously all scripted, but as is traditional the audience are mainly rubes who DON'T know that and will think we actually really are evil pirates and will refuse to deal with us/run away/shoot on sight/whatever else. Let's just gently caress with our one established enemy instead of accidentally making more.

E: Also, let's maybe not broadcast our crazy advanced Archon spaceship on a major TV program, somebody might decide they really want it and come try to take it. Nothing good ever comes of publicity, I tell ya.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 17, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crazycryodude posted:

C
E

C is on the condition that it's Paladin we're loving up. I feel like playing the bad guy on a popular reality TV show is gonna put a stain on our reputation in real life. I mean, yeah, it's obviously all scripted, but as is traditional the audience are mainly rubes who DON'T know that and will think we actually really are evil pirates and will refuse to deal with us/run away/shoot on sight/whatever else. Let's just gently caress with our one established enemy instead of accidentally making more.

E: Also, let's maybe not broadcast our crazy advanced Archon spaceship on a major TV program, somebody might decide they really want it and come try to take it. Nothing good ever comes of publicity, I tell ya.

This is all pretty good points.

Changing from B, ???, to

1. B on the condition we can refrain from using our fancy spaceship, C on the condition we target only Paladin or the mercs that hit us - nothing personal, fellas!

2. DE - I'm alright with the hacking plan, but I'm also alright with figuring out a friendlier way to go about this.

To turn my earlier musings into a question: do we lose anything mechanically by being locked out of the Facility temporarily, or is it more along the lines of nebulous plotty stuff (and losing what ability we had to dictate upgrade order)?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Crazycryodude posted:

C
E

this please that was my exactt thinking.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Actually yea, don't put oyr sweet new ride5on TV (even if the majority will believe its fake). switching from B to C

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

To turn my earlier musings into a question: do we lose anything mechanically by being locked out of the Facility temporarily, or is it more along the lines of nebulous plotty stuff (and losing what ability we had to dictate upgrade order)?

So far, the Mechanotrons have been repairing the physical structure of the Facility. Reactivation of the VI is the first sign that things might be returning to functionality. While there's still more to go before operations can commence, Lamarr's reactivation means that the computer system is in a state that you may be able to pull useful information off of it instead of just the emergency repair details. So no immediate mechanical downsides, but not having access could delay info gathering/special projects.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Voting will close in 4.5 hours (Midnight EDT). Update should go up tomorrow.

The Voting as of now:
A: 0
B: 6
C: 5
D: 1
E: 10
F: 0
G: 0

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

If B does win, we have e avoid revealing our ship.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Here's hoping we eventually hire the same Mercs who attacked us to go and raze Palladium's HQ to the ground and technotransmute the remains into salt.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Toughy posted:

If B does win, we have e avoid revealing our ship.

We have multiple ships at our disposal, the existence of Foregone Conclusion will remain hidden from the outside world for now

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oh in that case C to B

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Inside the Facility’s Datastream

With only a brief pause to tell your organic security to form a perimeter, you dive into the Facility’s informational flows. The sheer amount of data buffets you at first, a passive security system of sorts. But you quickly get your bearings, and its actually not much worse than the Mechanoid network. Better possibly, there’s not a hundred thousand voices screaming for the death of the Flesh.

You dance your way through the digital twists and turns, pausing now and again to hide from Lamarr as she moves through the system. Luckily, a great deal of the Datastream is still in bad shape, so her attention is divided enough to let you slip through the gaps. It also helps that the climatological data recompling itself is dense and detailed enough to disguise your engrams.

The Gibson Array, once found, isn’t in much better condition. But this is a possible opportunity, as a fragged security control subsystem is a good place to hide unauthorized reworking of parameters. The systems share a great deal of similarity with the Palantor Network, so its quick work to trim up your profile and add in the higher clearances. You hide the altered file in the general wreck of the Array, and trigger an emergency repair protocol on the way out of the system.

With a lurch your back in your shell, Hydra steadying you as your actuators throw out input conflict errors. You’re in a slightly different position than before, your hand almost touching the Protectron™ still maglocked to your hip.
“No!”
WHAT? HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN WHO IS THE SCORPION AND WHO IS THE FROG?

You make a show of adjusting your robes to hide your stumble and the movement of your arm. Checking your internal clock, there should have been enough time for the repair to have finished.
“Lamarr? I would like access to the Facility please.”

Her hologram pops into view, looking a bit annoyed.
“I told you Dahling, your access level was insufficient for more than emergency mode. I-”

She cocks her head, like she’s listening to something only she can hear. Then she laughs.
“Oh my dear, did you honestly expect me to let you in because your access levels magically updated themselves?”
“Yes Lamarr_38C3, I do. I am User 274_10/6, I am transmitting my identicode now. Release the lockdown.”

Lamarr flickers for a moment, then waves her hand dramatically.
“Fiiiiine, Dahling. Your credentials have been accepted, lifting lockdown. Be aware, if I am able to contact 38 Cygni Central Control I will confirm your codes. But for now, I suppose you can be useful. I’ve compiled a Facility and Mission status briefing for your review. Good evening Dahling, I have repairs to oversee.”

The hologram vanishes, and the blast doors and stutters open again.

The Skies Above Mishpacha Heavy Industries, The Reclaimed Zone

“Don’t you dare laugh First Decanus.”
“I wouldn’t dream of it sir.”
“Good. That-” *shudder* “Director said that the costume and makeup ‘tested well’. Whatever that means.”
The lights on the camera-drones floating around the bridge of the Nova Skimmer turn green, and you sigh to yourself. The ship begins its dive towards the settlement below, and you strike a dramatic pose.
”Rex Hardcleft! There will be no Civil Merger with Becki Pert today! For I, TenSixths, serve you with a Writ of Previous Claim! We were to be Joinered before you left me for dead on that exploding ship! Fire all weapons!”
“Aye-Aye Captain!”
“Wait, WHO-!?”

But the Nova Skimmer has already begun its strafing run, targeting the preset pyrotechnic explosives around the outside of the compound. Which requires you to keep hitting your cues, cackling and monologuing in turn. And when you review the bridge footage later, there's no strange woman at Fire Control, but a smiling Twi-Far man.

=====
While the Facility is still not operational, with Lamarr active we have access to the informational database. I’ll post an infodump involving the Facility, its sister installations, and other bits in a day or two. We also have the necessary Goods to construct the Orbital Site, so that work has begun.

Decision 1: The Figment
There’s someone/something popping up that only 10/6 and 274 can see. Do we:
A: Ignore It
There are other things to attend to
B: Investigate It
Strangeness is a given. Unknown strangeness is a security risk.
C: Confront It
You may not want to admit it, but you know who it is. Call her out so she can explain herself.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 20, 2018

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

C Let's figure out which part of our broken psyche is hanging out with us now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

C

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

C

10/6 really should not be in charge of people, weapons, or people with weapons

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A. This is fine. Everything is fine.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C.

Jenni’s back. The subroutine went offline after the concussion, seems like she went Evil Mirror Universe on us though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A

I think C's a better idea, but A's funnier.

also I really love the Cheesy Libertopian Rival For Love Interest line :allears:

also "rex hardcleft" "becky pert" i'm glad you're aiming for the average classiness level of a good reality show

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 20, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

BC

Oh my god Evil Twin Jenni. How many loving people does 10/6 have in her head? Who thought it would be a good idea to let us have access to any weaponry at all, much less what we've managed to scrape together?

This is gonna be awesome :allears:

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Crazycryodude posted:

BC

Oh my god Evil Twin Jenni. How many loving people does 10/6 have in her head? Who thought it would be a good idea to let us have access to any weaponry at all, much less what we've managed to scrape together?

This is gonna be awesome :allears:

I think there are only 3.
10/6 is the original and dominant human/digital god personality which was cut to slivers to fit it into a mechanoid body.
274 is the shoulder devil of 10/6’s mechanoid combat reprogramming.
Jenni is the shoulder angel 10/6 built based on the memories of their family to help them stay sane.

If 10/6 has two shoulder devils then things are going to get weird.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Was 38 Cygni Central Control a known thing? Did we just get a very valuable bit of information about the potential location of major Human facilities?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Was 38 Cygni Central Control a known thing? Did we just get a very valuable bit of information about the potential location of major Human facilities?

When the ancient Spanish runes were deciphered, the Facility indicated that it was one of several '38 Cygni 4' teraforming installations. So Haven was most likely 38 Cygni in the Human designation. But this is the first mention of a 'Central Control', so investigating that could lead somewhere.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

wiegieman posted:

... really should not be in charge of people, weapons, or people with weapons

Crazycryodude posted:

Who thought it would be a good idea to let us have access to any weaponry at all, much less what we've managed to scrape together?

My_Thoughts_On_My_Players_As_A_GM.txt

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
C

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

38 Cygni 4 Terraforming Facility #3 Master Control posted:

Greetings User 274-10/6

FACILITY STATUS
:WARNING: FACILITY IN REPAIR MODE
+Installation Virtual Intelligence: ONLINE
+Mechanotron Control System: ONLINE
+Geothermal Plant Controls: OFFLINE
-REPAIR IN PROGRESS. ETC 1176 STANDARD HOURS
+Local Network: OFFLINE
-COMM NET NOT FOUND. REPAIR QUEUED. ETC 2352 STANDARD HOURS
+Sector Network: OFFLINE
-COMM NET NOT FOUND. REPAIR QUEUED. ETC 2352 STANDARD HOURS

ENVIRONMENT STATUS
:WARNING: LOCAL NETWORK OFFLINE. LOCAL CONDITIONS ONLY
+Temperature AVG: 37.6 (ERR)
-Warning: 3.6 degrees above maximal recommendation
+O2: 26.03% (ERR)
-Warning: 4% above maximal recommendation
+NO2: 72.90%
+Trace Gas: 1.07%
-Warning: High amount of Neuroactive compounds in atmosphere
Biosphere Rating: OMEGA RED
-Warning: Multiple dangerous classes of flora and fauna detected
-Warning: Human-compatiblity below ultimate safe levels. Recommend full biosphere purge and reseed.

Lamarr_38C3 posted:

Hello Dahling. I’ve extracted relevant operational information below. You’re welcome to the full file, but it would take you nearly a week to read at observed data transfer speeds. I am also available if you have specific questions. Enjoy!

Operational Parameters
Once established by the System Central Control installation, the planetary terraforming facilities will use the provided template to alter the climate of the planet, as well as seeding it with a Human-compatible biosphere. Stabilization in the M-class range expected within two centuries in most cases. The facilities will continue to monitor the environment and adjust it to compensate for any localized instabilities or out-of-context events.

***Warning*** In case of serious environmental and facility damage, do not attempt large-scale environmental modification/repair with less than three functional terraforming facilities. While local environmental stabilization/repair is possible within 1024 km of the individual facilities, attempted planet-wide alterations with less than three facilities in harmony will result in unstable environmental conditions across the planet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

erm

so Lamarr, at minimum, wants to annihilate the (currently feral) Nephilim

this is in direct opposition to a project we are being paid for and also which i support on general ethical grounds

and her recommendation is a full planetary reboot, although this would admittedly remove our competition very nicely indeed

also: can... she actually repair the sector network directly? is that good, or potentially quite bad?

i have some concerns

edit also "neuroactive gas in atmosphere" is pretty interesting

double edit on the plus side, we can apparently ask her to partially terraform a megameter around our position, which is COMPLETELY NUTS

triple edit maybe we can use this to corral the local nephs that we and Liz want to rehabilitate, or just rehabilitate them directly; Lamarr might be amenable to "oh cool, they're now symbiotes with Inheritor civilization, rather than locally existential threats"

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 23, 2018

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

also: can... she actually repair the sector network directly? is that good, or potentially quite bad?

The repair mentioned for the networks is the rebuilding of the Facility's Comm Array. Currently it can't even phone home. If the Local and Sector Networks are still around, Lamarr might be able to activate self-repair subsystems there, but it really depends on their condition.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PoultryGeist posted:

The repair mentioned for the networks is the rebuilding of the Facility's Comm Array. Currently it can't even phone home. If the Local and Sector Networks are still around, Lamarr might be able to activate self-repair subsystems there, but it really depends on their condition.

so she can't as far as we know repair the Actual Network

good, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

I think the neuroactive gas was a known problem.

Maybe terraforming just a 1024km radius out would be a good idea depending on the level of control we have over the process or potentially the terrain, given that current conditions are hostile enough to make expansion precarious. Maybe we can use it as a tool to find the ferals or as leverage.

Lamarr repairing the comm net is only a problem if she finds something that talks back, and it looks like all of the other facilities are shut down... unless they're just waiting for a third terraformer before purging the whole planet. That would be bad.

"38C3 please state current permission levels for this user. Please also provide a map of known locations of other facilities within the network."

We have a ship and the terraforming facilities shouldn't have been moved far even by environmental changes. Let's find out the state of other facilities: active and preparing a full biosphere purge, disabled, or destroyed. Maybe the Twi-Far can help us narrow the list of high value targets.