Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It warms my heart for a bunch of people to only just now discover the absurdity of that artist.

My favorite one of his pics is Trump trying to teach a COMMUNIST MILLENNIAL how to fish, as if Trump has ever held a fishing rod in his entire goddamn life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
art transcends the political binary, its something deep and beating in the hearts of all men regardless of their character or idealogies.

smallmouth posted:

I take the snake in the second to be a reference to the crushing of the serpent's head in Genesis 3--Trump is fulfillment of a messianic prophecy for that kook. Apparently Trump is better than Jesus because his heel is not bruised.

seconded, this guy is creating religious paintings, his gods just happen to be the founding fathers, his messiah the flashing booming image that comes into his house on the tv all day every day.

who are the gods of the leftist pantheon? who are your gods, mine are porky pig.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Us lefties worship Communism and Marx is our only god.

Man, have I been wrong about the amount of right-wing artists. I've been well protected by staying off Facebook. That's right, you heard me. I'm one of the cool ones. :smuggo:

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

:pusheen:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I know inking your lineart is important but goddamn if it doesn't get tedious. Wish my sketches didn't look like poo poo so I could colour those in sometimes rather than spend over an hour tracing over my lines.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Us lefties worship Communism and Marx is our only god.

Man, have I been wrong about the amount of right-wing artists. I've been well protected by staying off Facebook. That's right, you heard me. I'm one of the cool ones. :smuggo:

There are significantly less right-wing artists than left-wing ones though, as art is a creative endeavor of expression and modern conservatism stifles that kind of thinking.

But you go to the right places you can find them. Some have amazing levels of talent used for stupidity while others...

https://twitter.com/PrettyBadLefty/status/1006562085482958849

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 22, 2018

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
doug tennapel is conservative and deeply some sorta weird christian and i think this is what makes his great work great and his bad work ham handed. like you need that sort of lunacy and biblical knowledge to create a work as compelling as the neverhood, but it can close you off being so committed to certain kind of introspective thought process, which i guess is the struggle we all go through, and why a lot of art can be expressed or viewed through lenses of extreme ideologies or religions or pokemon maniacs. you need to learn what the character of "jesus" is to express yourself in the form of a painting about jesus, or else it will not reach people who like jesus. or dislike jesus! but the more you know about jesus, the deeper the painting will be. however, this may incur the side effect of believing in jesus

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
remember when Doug TenNapel co-boarded an early scrapped adventure time episode

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i read the entire fake bible in the neverhood and it was compelling as hell

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Oh no don't let the warham furry unleash Logic on me I could not bear it :allears:

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

remember when Doug TenNapel co-boarded an early scrapped adventure time episode

I wanna hear more about this plz tell me.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i crush the heads of serpents weekly, sometimes daily, under my mighty heel (cooch), fulfilling the ancient prophecies and asserting myself as the one who is risen (horny)

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i thought i wanted to make a webcomic but all i actually wanted to do was draw long, lustrous, beautiful hair

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I wanna hear more about this plz tell me.

There were 4 different early AT episodes that were boarded but scrapped (which is why some of the season 1 eps have weird production codes); two of them had their storyboards released online:

One of them was Brothers in Insomnia, which was the first episode boarded by the season 1 team of Luther McLaurin and the late Armen Mirzaian (the same team that boarded a scrapped early version of Freak City and the fully produced episodes The Jiggler, Business Time, and What Is Life?; Luther stayed on for one more episode after Armen left, doing Henchman with Cole Sanchez). Some elements from this ended up in the season 6 episode Little Brother

The other was The Glorriors, which was boarded by Joe Horne (who's been in the industry since the mid 80's, working at places like DiC, Disney TV Animation, and Warner Bros) and Doug TenNapel (who's done stuff with Frederator in the past, including two pilots for Random Cartoons, the same show the AT pilot was made for, so it's not out of left field when you think about it). Apparently some elements ended up in Sons of Mars, which is why Doug got story credit on that episode, but I'm not really seeing any connections.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
anyway, if you're like me and struggle with linework because uneven or wobbly lines give you the jitters and trying to do lines on a tablet ends up with countless hours zoomed in to 60x magnification smoothing meticulously while your life marches on without you, traditional inking might work better for you. a .5 pen gives a perfect smooth line every time!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
You got any pen recs? Whats a good solid technical pen. Anyone like nibs? I love em but cannot always give them the ritualistic care they require to live

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

FunkyAl posted:

You got any pen recs? Whats a good solid technical pen. Anyone like nibs? I love em but cannot always give them the ritualistic care they require to live

i always feel like i shouldnt give reccommendations because im not a real artist but i always used to carry a set of prismacolor fine line markers that were excellent for doing tiny highly detailed landscapes

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'm a sucker for my Lamy fountain pen with Carbon Black ink, it's so smooth and pleasant to draw with. But really, what pen you want is going to depend on the effect you're after.

I can't stand dip pens, too much hassle and they constantly need dipping or blotting or cleaning. I'm working on getting used to using a brush, but it takes time.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i used a dip pen for a few months and loved the way the lines look and the actual feel of working with it, but it just needed too much maintenance and slowed me down too much; plus the added suspense of never knowing when it was going to randomly puke up a big blob of ink and ruin my drawing was fraying my dainty nerves. now i use mechanical pens. they're pretty wasteful though because you can't refill them, so i'm trying to use a brush and ink instead when i can

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
To make even lines on tablet:
Pull your lines fast and confident, like really fast. Don't wait around for nothin'. This will make you gently caress up your first try, that's ok, ctrl-z, do it faster and pull again. hosed up again, that's ok, Ctrl-z, no wait, yeah, again and no, wait this time and WALLA perfect smooth line.
ALSO work a canvas bigger than you need to (like twice or thrice the size that you'll want it), so that when you shrink the piece to viewing size, the minorest wobbles that are left behind will MAGICALLY DISAPPEAR.

Third option: Paint Tool Sai has a line de-wobbler and the option to choose a lineart layer where you can pull and poke and prod at every line you draw to get them just right.

Dip pens will glob at you until you learn to daintily dip it to fill up the reserve-hole and then DIP NO FURTHER. Once you perfect your dipping, it won't happen ever again. What will happen is that you'll try to erase sketch lines too soon and smudge the pic up, or you'll touch it with an inky finger and smudge the pic up, or you'll shift wrong because of course you're doing this on your bed and now you've got ink all over your bed but at least the pic is secure.

While we're at it, there are mechanical pens that are refillable, but dear gooooooddddds do the small ones clog often and they are a pain to refill and maintain.

I love the inkbrush pens although they are expensive and I'd actually use them up pretty quick, but they're convenient to carry around and you won't have ink everywhere.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

i always feel like i shouldnt give reccommendations because im not a real artist

Do not do this to yourself, friend.

Ask yourself: am I making an art?

If Yes, this is art -> Artist.
If Sorta, I mean it's visual but on a computer and also it moves -> Artist.
If No, not really I'm just putting my name on a urinal and shoving it in a museum -> Artist
If No, this is in fact a sausage -> Artisan

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

FunkyAl posted:

Nibs are the best pens but they’re not convenient and take practice. I’ve heard people rave about rapidographs but I couldn’t get them to not clog immediately. My sketching bag has traditionally been faber castel felt tips but my local Michael’s started carrying a range of Pentel drawing pens from Japan (manga finally did something good!) and I’ve been enjoying them.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
If you’re going to be doing art on a tablet in Windows and want super smooth lines then I highly recommend Lazy Nezumi. It really lets you get a lot of good control of the way the cursor moves with the pen to eliminate wobble and let you achieve a lot of great effects. It’s better than the built-in line smoothing in any software I’ve used. It’s designed for Photoshop but can be bound to any program with a keyboard shortcut.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

I really like nibs myself. Speedball's Crow Quill 102 and the 512 are nice to use. If you like technical pens then I'd recommend looking at Koh-i-noor's rapidograph line. They used to be the gold standard for stuff like medical illustration back in the day. They cost a little but if you take care of them they'll last eternally. Just make sure to only use their ink with it, or an ink you know is fine enough that it wont cause a problem (most others will clog, sometimes something like walnut ink is okay though) and you pretty much have to break it apart and clean it up every single time.

Though for comics I think the variety of marks you can get from a nib tends to be more useful than the very limited range a tech pen gives you. Unless you are okay with going over the same area multiple times to thicken a line with the technical pen. Nibs are also massively cheaper even if they do wear out eventually.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Fortis posted:

If you’re going to be doing art on a tablet in Windows and want super smooth lines then I highly recommend Lazy Nezumi.

:aaa: Thanks, definitely giving that a try!

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i had a chicken called the koh-i-noor but he was killed by a goshawk

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does anyone have advice on how to "see" a head without hair? Something that's consistently loving up my attempts at figure drawing is I feel like I get the shape of the head completely wrong. Its hard to tell what shape someone's head has when its obscured by a ton of hair though.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Study and draw skulls.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

As an added bonus, skulls are rad as hell, and cool to draw.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Al! posted:

i always feel like i shouldnt give reccommendations because im not a real artist but i always used to carry a set of prismacolor fine line markers that were excellent for doing tiny highly detailed landscapes

something awful user al! are you my doppel-ganger or am i yours.....

thanks for the pen recs btw everybody, I'm going to save them for when i start making comics again in......october

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/_ibcf_/status/950078736942051328
I joined this server a few days ago and I feel that some of you guys might be interested in it (particularly FunkyAl)

edit: oh poo poo semi-nevermind, didn't realize you were already here funky

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 26, 2018

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

FunkyAl posted:

something awful user al! are you my doppel-ganger or am i yours.....

thanks for the pen recs btw everybody, I'm going to save them for when i start making comics again in......october

Late with this but...

Rotring (or koh-i-noor) rapidograph is the go-to if you truly need absolutely uniform widths, for instance if you're doing drawings for a patent application. Once you have ink in it you have to use it all the time or it'll dry up and you can take them apart and clean em but man they will just never work the same again no matter what you do. So I don't like them.

I sometimes use Pigma Micron markers instead - you can vary the width a bit if you press but for the most part it's easy to get really uniform width. They're exceptionally good for monochrome pointillist art.

For most drawing I use dip pens with zebra G nibs or a smaller "crow quill" type nib for super super fine lines, and a pentel brush pen

You can also buy or make a little "reservoir" for your nib that is basically just a little piece of coiled wire that lets you go 3 or 4 times longer between dips.

Although I like writing with a fountain pen I wouldn't really recommend one for art. They are hundreds to thousands of times more expensive than dip pens and you're pretty much stuck with the nib that's on it. Whereas even very good quality nibs and nib holders are cheaper than ink. Also with a fountain pen the ink is very watery, a lot more likely to smear, and will likely not survive interaction with other media.

this broken hill posted:

never knowing when it was going to randomly puke up a big blob of ink and ruin my drawing

I've never had this happen in years of using dip pens...

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Although I like writing with a fountain pen I wouldn't really recommend one for art. They are hundreds to thousands of times more expensive than dip pens and you're pretty much stuck with the nib that's on it. Whereas even very good quality nibs and nib holders are cheaper than ink. Also with a fountain pen the ink is very watery, a lot more likely to smear, and will likely not survive interaction with other media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bwAfsZTi6A
:colbert:

Different inks do different things! Good ink can be waterproof and nicely thick. Mine is lubricated, for extra innuendo. You can also get flex-nib fountain pens, though they suffer from the same scratchiness as dip-pens.

lofi fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 26, 2018

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

https://twitter.com/_ibcf_/status/950078736942051328
I joined this server a few days ago and I feel that some of you guys might be interested in it (particularly FunkyAl)

Already a member! But thanks for the heads up ayshkerbuddy, and hes right folks its good poo poo. good board.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

this broken hill posted:

anyway, if you're like me and struggle with linework because uneven or wobbly lines give you the jitters and trying to do lines on a tablet ends up with countless hours zoomed in to 60x magnification smoothing meticulously while your life marches on without you, traditional inking might work better for you. a .5 pen gives a perfect smooth line every time!

lazy nezumi is a loving godsend https://lazynezumi.com/

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Whenever the art juices dry up and I can't get a thing flowing, I feel distinctly like a ladybug stuck on its back. Not a turtle, turtles are slow and wise and good. Ladybugs with their flailing legs and stinky poops and soundless despair.

Then I shrug and get over it.

What does Art Despair feel like to y'all?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

For me it's the voice going "Sure you can draw a bit, but you have nothing to say with your art, and no-one's interested anyway, you might as well just draw naruto fanart on deviant art" in my head.

Then I drink, and numb the voice a little bit. :emo:

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

What does Art Despair feel like to y'all?

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
whenever i find myself struggling with the hollowness of the creative process, I make myself revel in it. Like, gently caress, it's not illegal to make meaningless poo poo. If you think too hard about anything it starts to feel meaningless. So I open a google doc and start writing all like "yeah you're a dirty, pointless little story and no one will ever love you. i'm gonna write you so hard even though it's all bullshit, i'm gonna MAKE you exist even though you're trying to shove yourself back up the sphincter of my imagination"

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Nice, and much the same line of thinking that pulls me out of despair.

I try to remember that we're monkeys-in-top-hats stuck to a giant ball-bearing that's screaming through space round a perpetual nuke - when you think of it like that, doing anything more than clinging to the ground and screaming seems like a pretty good acheivement.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
random thing but does anyone struggle with having too much reference and getting overwhelmed? like recently ive found that keeping my reference down to just a handful of really good images helps me immensely in clearing out "mental clutter" and related problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lofi posted:

Nice, and much the same line of thinking that pulls me out of despair.

I try to remember that we're monkeys-in-top-hats stuck to a giant ball-bearing that's screaming through space round a perpetual nuke - when you think of it like that, doing anything more than clinging to the ground and screaming seems like a pretty good acheivement.

That's amazing