Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Thinking of grabbing FO4 on PC since it's on sale on Steam. Are there any glaring issues with the PC version or is it a safe grab?

Other than being Fallout 4, there's no PC issues that I'm aware of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Wellwinds posted:

I think the recommended survival melee build is 9 Agility and 9 strength to go for blitz+rooted early on.

Personally I think a punchman build on expert is more fun since you can stack yourself up to 15-16 strength before you even factor in armor or alcohol and then just walk up to people and get power attack executions constantly

Sweet, thank you both. Gonna try it and get owned hard by everything that I dont kill in the initial kill flurry.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

vandalism posted:

Sweet, thank you both. Gonna try it and get owned hard by everything that I dont kill in the initial kill flurry.

As long as you're not moving around rooted is a huge DR, so that helps in general. Combined with vats defense nothing will really hurt you while you blitz around

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

Other than being Fallout 4, there's no PC issues that I'm aware of

This, basically. You get a lot of modding capability but also steam updates the game whenever beth adds something to the CC, which might break your mods or something I dunno, I haven't really played it since they started doing that.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
If you're going with rooted I'll mention the option of just going to 10 strength at the start; you can grab some daytripper out of the concord speakeasy which lets you use the special book to go right to 11

Then you can get another +1 from the weight bench settlement object if you've got the vault dlc installed

Even more damage and the carry weight's always nice on survival

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^ otoh the last melee run I did I had maybe 5 strength and still destroyed everything, so an absurd strength isn't required other than to roleplay as mr universe.

OwlFancier posted:

This, basically. You get a lot of modding capability but also steam updates the game whenever beth adds something to the CC, which might break your mods or something I dunno, I haven't really played it since they started doing that.

The best solution if you're being hit by this is to go to your steam properties and disable automatic updates. Launch the game exclusively from the f4se launcher. Steam will always update the game when you run it, but only if you run it from steam, the f4se launcher won't trip that flag.

That way your mods all stay working even as Bethesda keeps making GBS threads out CC and you don't suddenly have to wait 3 days for a new script extender or go through the annoying exe revert process to play.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've been replaying New Vegas for nostalgia, and because I realized I never actually played any of the DLCs.

I found a cave near Novac that I thought would be pretty easy to clear out, until a Deathclaw came around the corner and I high-tailed it out of there. It followed me out of the cave (didn't even know they could do that) but I eventually killed it after Boone and ED-E tanked all of its attacks. I thought that might have been the only enemy, so I went back in, only to be greeted my a Mother Deathclaw that killed me in one hit

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Azhais posted:

^^ otoh the last melee run I did I had maybe 5 strength and still destroyed everything, so an absurd strength isn't required other than to roleplay as mr universe.

The best solution if you're being hit by this is to go to your steam properties and disable automatic updates. Launch the game exclusively from the f4se launcher. Steam will always update the game when you run it, but only if you run it from steam, the f4se launcher won't trip that flag.

That way your mods all stay working even as Bethesda keeps making GBS threads out CC and you don't suddenly have to wait 3 days for a new script extender or go through the annoying exe revert process to play.

Did you do it on survival though? poo poo wrecks me.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

NofrikinfuN posted:

Mr. New Vegas was way better than Three Dog. :colbert:

Also, Travis sucks.

I am ashamed to admit, i didnt play New Vegas much. As in, barely. So i have no basis of comparison.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

vandalism posted:

Did you do it on survival though? poo poo wrecks me.

always

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

gently caress yeah. Freight train coming through.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Azhais posted:

Yeah but if you're going for rooted you're at 9 already, might as well go nuts with it

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Should Fallout have vehicles like Cars, motorcycles and ATV's? I've been seeing a bunch of convos/threads where people are saying they'd like that.

Personally I'm against it, but I wonder about the rest of the player base. I like to think that the world of Fallout is a place where there is some technology left (robots. weapons & etc) but where modern convenience like cars are a thing of the past. There's also the idea that most players take vehicle to go from point A to point C and bypass point B. Fallout being such an immersive world, I feel like these people would miss so much.

Also what's the point of cars when fast travel is a good option?

I'm not against all forms of transportation, BOS's vertibird is an okay way to implement some vehicle.. But I really really wouldn't want something like PUBG where you find vehicles here and there.

Thoughts/Comments?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Bethesda's world design is deeply unsuited for that and barely manages to handle horses in their fantasy games. That said, if the decision was made very early in development and they designed the map around it*, I guess I would be okay with that.

* but they never design games like that

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fallout 3 Wanderer's Edition had an option where you fast travelled by motorbike. You didn't actually drive it, but you had to maintain it, and to fast travel you had to be standing next to it. It made the game way, way better.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dalael posted:

Should Fallout have vehicles like Cars, motorcycles and ATV's? I've been seeing a bunch of convos/threads where people are saying they'd like that.

Personally I'm against it, but I wonder about the rest of the player base. I like to think that the world of Fallout is a place where there is some technology left (robots. weapons & etc) but where modern convenience like cars are a thing of the past. There's also the idea that most players take vehicle to go from point A to point C and bypass point B. Fallout being such an immersive world, I feel like these people would miss so much.

Also what's the point of cars when fast travel is a good option?

I'm not against all forms of transportation, BOS's vertibird is an okay way to implement some vehicle.. But I really really wouldn't want something like PUBG where you find vehicles here and there.

Thoughts/Comments?

Vehicles would give an excuse for a more realistically-sized map, but that also typically means less content per square meter. Think something more like Mad Max where you've got gigantic stretches of empty desert in between outposts and settlements, or GTA V where there's a huge amount of superficial detail but most of the buildings are solid blocks that are impossible to enter and never do anything.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I liked the world design of Mad Max, it was a barren desert but they managed to add enough detail and 'variety' to the scenery that it wasn't just empty of devoid of any details. The openness also allowed for times where you could just go petal to the metal and fly across the wastes, also very fun when fighting off bandits or convoys.

Even if Bethesda did change their world design to match I don't think they'd ever do the one thing needed to make it work: changing their loving engine.

Can only imagine the hilarity that would ensue if you were trying to race around in one of their games with all the jank that goes on.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I don't see any point to adding vehicles to Fallout. I prefer Bethesda's more compact worlds that are dense with things to poke your heads into and explore over the typical vast open-world where you're just driving past everything because there's nothing worthwhile between you and the mission marker.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
In my dream game they do it nearly the same way they did F2, a big overworld with fleshed out hubs/dungeons and a car for fast travel. I would almost think that kind of design would also be less punishing for Beth's engine since it would no longer have to keep track of every individual item anymore and it would make it feel less theme parky.

I'd also like a balletic fist and an Avellone-led expansion and a pony.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

In my dream game they do it nearly the same way they did F2, a big overworld with fleshed out hubs/dungeons and a car for fast travel. I would almost think that kind of design would also be less punishing for Beth's engine since it would no longer have to keep track of every individual item anymore and it would make it feel less theme parky.

I'd also like a balletic fist and an Avellone-led expansion and a pony.

That would totally work, they really should bring back the highwayman.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
In that it's yet another crafting menu, I'm sure Bethesda would love to give you customizable cars. I'd probably want it in a dedicated sandbox environment, though. More or less cordoned off in a wide open DLC zone like a ramped up Honest Hearts. You get a little home base and a loyal mechanic who's all "boss, you need a faster ride if you're gonna take on the local raiders."

Also it'd be in the FOX engine. :swoon:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Looks like all the mods to save in survival mode are broken.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fallout should have vehicles and you should be able to mod them like robots in FO4, that would be a loving ace addition to the genre. The vehicles it should have are cars, speedboats, big boats, motorbikes, and trains.

Make Mad Max Fallout. I want to chase down a sentry bot on the highway and ram it off the road in one of those sick nuclear corvegas so I can pull out its fusion cores and strap its minigun to my car.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 22, 2018

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol. Imagine how often and how hard the game would crash with fast moving vehicles.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Fallout should have vehicles and you should be able to mod them like robots in FO4, that would be a loving ace addition to the genre. The vehicles it should have are cars, speedboats, big boats, motorbikes, and trains.

Make Mad Max Fallout. I want to chase down a sentry bot on the highway and ram it off the road in one of those sick nuclear corvegas so I can pull out its fusion cores and strap its minigun to my car.

are people modding mad max? can you mod mad max? That'd be ace.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ugh doesn't seem to be a lot on the mad max modding front.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Fallout 4 question: I decided to give it a go after getting it in a sale but the UI is hyper hosed, sometimes the keyboard works for the menu, sometimes only clicking does, and the hosed up combination soft locks in character creation because you can get into menus you can't get out of because the keyboard command won't work. Number one: what the gently caress console optimized UI design; number two how do I unfuck this?

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Though the best Fallout radio DJ is still Tabitha.

Booooooooooo.

But really no love for Tabitha!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

When they talk about upgrading the engine to handle multiple people at once I had a lol because its problems are things that def not good practices. Everything was so coupled together. Storing the status of the quest on the quest object, which there can be only one of in the whole game, instead of storing it on the player, or just another object that links between the two is like a Jr level programmer mistake

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

When they talk about upgrading the engine to handle multiple people at once I had a lol because its problems are things that def not good practices. Everything was so coupled together. Storing the status of the quest on the quest object, which there can be only one of in the whole game, instead of storing it on the player, or just another object that links between the two is like a Jr level programmer mistake

You'll enjoy reading this section "How Engineering Has Changed" https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21881587/dev-watercooler-world-of-warcraft-classic

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I "like" the part where Bethesda's engine requires an NPC to be present somewhere in the world to give voice overs and the slideshow at the end of the game is your character locked in place while the NPC narrates on the other side.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isn't the radio station provided by an invisible NPC cat in 4 that follows you around?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Listening to people talk about construction during lunch and when they said they'd "dug into the pit" I had to bite my tongue to keep from asking if they found any Trogs down there

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think my copy of Fallout New Vegas is racist. All the black people in my game turned white today

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I was tooling around in F4. Showing a prior military friend how artillery strikes work. Called down the pain. Killed a bunch of mutants. Moved forward when the rounds stopped. Shot a mutant. Then I started hearing the whistling again and died to either the very last round or the start of a second barrage from another settlement responding? All I know is the round was way loving late to the original grouping. I got laughed at and I'll be honest it was more embarrassing that dying from a poorly pitched grenade.

Of course I was on survival mode and I hadnt saved in 45 minutes or so.

Good times.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

8one6 posted:

I "like" the part where Bethesda's engine requires an NPC to be present somewhere in the world to give voice overs and the slideshow at the end of the game is your character locked in place while the NPC narrates on the other side.

I'm not sure how I did this, but one time in New Vegas I somehow managed to make the game glitch out in such a way that I was able to see this in action.

Instead of watching the ending sideshow I was watching my character watch the ending slideshow in this black featureless void.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

I was tooling around in F4. Showing a prior military friend how artillery strikes work. Called down the pain. Killed a bunch of mutants. Moved forward when the rounds stopped. Shot a mutant. Then I started hearing the whistling again and died to either the very last round or the start of a second barrage from another settlement responding? All I know is the round was way loving late to the original grouping. I got laughed at and I'll be honest it was more embarrassing that dying from a poorly pitched grenade.

Good times.

I mean, you've seen the people who live in the wasteland yeah? You're lucky it isn't railing mininukes all over the drat city.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

LingcodKilla posted:

Good times.

That is why Survival mode is good. Do you want to risk getting sick from that nasty sleeping bag or risk losing the last hour of gametime from a rando legendary spawn?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I think if this game forces some of you to not be woeful cowards online that can only be a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

That is why Survival mode is good. Do you want to risk getting sick from that nasty sleeping bag or risk losing the last hour of gametime from a rando legendary spawn?

Or from tripping on a car, dying?