Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
some type of system where there's no conan style base destruction at all would be ideal. Players workshops would not have their inventory lootable, but when a hostile player attempts to loot them that raider would get some type of reward. Perhaps it would debit the owner some Caps or some type of Energy Resource but nothing unique would be steal able. Perhaps killing players could drop a loot box with chances on PVP gear, caps, launch codes, and again the victim would lose caps but otherwise respawn unaltered with immunity to the murdering player and his clan for a time period or forever I guess.

On top of this you would have the public workshop system already in the game where control of specific workbenches on the map is the only way to get a specific type of thing. That could be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Riatsala posted:

Or from tripping on a car, dying?

Yeah. That happened once and I learned from it and it never happened again.

Are you gonna whine forever about it?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

LMAO if you lose 2 hours of progress to getting stuck inside a curb just suck it up and do better next time. Jobs and social lives are for casuals.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Yes, probably

In all seriousness, I *do* love fallout 4 survival, even if I think it's a fundamentally bad idea to force players more than 3 minutes away from their last save in any bethesda game.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

goatsestretchgoals posted:

LMAO if you lose 2 hours of progress to getting stuck inside a curb just suck it up and do better next time. Jobs and social lives are for casuals.

LMAO if you get so mad about video game "progress" that you troll about it years later.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Survival is a lot better I think with sleep or save so you can just treat beds like checkpoints.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I treat beds like beds and dying like waking up from a bad dream.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Even though power armor is “bad” I like flying around with the jet pack. Makes sleeping a pain in the rear end because you have to get out of the suit.

So it’s really my fault for not saving at any of the 20 or so beds I ran across by then.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

I think my copy of Fallout New Vegas is racist. All the black people in my game turned white today

Open C:\Users\<your Windows username>\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV

Set bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles=1

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Survival is a lot better I think with sleep or save so you can just treat beds like checkpoints.

Would you get rid of the adrenaline mechanic in this instance? I've never known what to feel about that.

I do, however, remember the peak realism of a popular overhaul mod that made it so adrenaline only works with melee\unarmed weapons "just like in real life" and if there's a better example of a modder completely misunderstanding the purpose of a gameplay abstraction I haven't found it yet.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why is power armor "bad"? Is this some tryhard elitism that I'm not yet aware of?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Why is power armor "bad"? Is this some tryhard elitism that I'm not yet aware of?

I can't speak for other people but I personally felt that vanilla made 100% armor uptime a little too feasible.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I play vanilla console and it makes the screen bob a bucnh and is noisy.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think FO4 was ever really meant to be played in anything but Survival mode, but they added normie mode so type A losers could feel good about fake accomplishments like beating video games and achievements?

edit: That makes sense about being noisy... I've mostly walked or sneaked because running eats up fusion cores, but I'm pretty flush with cores at this point and often run to get to places faster...

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 23, 2018

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

LMAO if you get so mad about video game "progress" that you troll about it years later.

I'm the idiot who just did that on a brand new survivor run yesterday.

So uh...owned?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're the one getting mad about a video game, dude.

My point is, write it off as a bad dream and point your compass a different direction next time.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yes, I am the one who is off base here.

What name do you post under on NMA?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I don't think FO4 was ever really meant to be played in anything but Survival mode, but they added normie mode so type A losers could feel good about fake accomplishments like beating video games and achievements?

You want so badly to feel superior about something today. :\

Mr Hootington posted:

I play vanilla console and it makes the screen bob a bucnh and is noisy.

The immersive qualities of it do tend to grate after a while. I think they also shrink your FOV?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Riatsala posted:

Would you get rid of the adrenaline mechanic in this instance? I've never known what to feel about that.

I do, however, remember the peak realism of a popular overhaul mod that made it so adrenaline only works with melee\unarmed weapons "just like in real life" and if there's a better example of a modder completely misunderstanding the purpose of a gameplay abstraction I haven't found it yet.

Sleep or save handles it by making saves reduce your adrenaline a bit too. To be honest I've never been able to kill enough things before needing to sleep such that adrenaline has had any effect on my playthrough whatsoever. The stat penalties from not sleeping are more significant than a couple of percentage points to damage maybe some of the time.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Real talk I play survival with console enabled and type save 1 save 2 save 3 in that order every few minutes. Dont gently caress around out there boys.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-22-bethesda-sues-warner-bros-claims-westworld-game-uses-fallout-shelter-code

quote:

Report: Bethesda sues Warner Bros., claims Westworld game uses Fallout Shelter code
Megaton.

Bethesda is reportedly suing Warner Bros. over the Westworld mobile game, which it claims uses Fallout Shelter code.
According to TMZ, Bethesda is suing Warner Bros. and Behaviour Interactive, the developer of the game. In court documents, Bethesda reveal it contracted Behaviour in 2014 to work on Fallout Shelter before Behaviour went on to make the Westworld game for Warner.
Fallout Shelter is a building and people management sim with a cute art design where you play the vault overseer. You have to keep your vault dwellers alive, playing Cupid to get them to have babies, while all sorts of things go wrong in the vault and, when you can, send your people out into the wasteland to gather resources. It looks like this:

Westwork is a park management sim with a cute art design where you play as a new Delos employee and have to control the overworld from an underground bunker, creating AI hosts and matching guests with them in order to satisfy their every desire. It looks like this:

So, how does Bethesda know Westworld includes Fallout Shelter code, apart from the, ahem, surface level similarities? Because the same bugs that were in an early version of Fallout Shelter are also in Westworld. Oops!
Bethesda wants Westworld shut down and a cut of the profits. We've contacted both publishers for comment.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Interesting that Bethesda claims to know their bugs :colbert:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Todd Howard squinting as a screen: wait a second...i'd recognize that man swimming thru the air anywhere...thus is gamebryo code!!!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Strange that they waited nearly five months after launch to put it in, then. ('Survival' was just a fancy name for 'Very Hard' until then.)

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
True love waits, bb.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

edit: That makes sense about being noisy... I've mostly walked or sneaked because running eats up fusion cores, but I'm pretty flush with cores at this point and often run to get to places faster...

They patched in Survival mode months after release

E: I see that's come up. Well also, beating the game and getting achievements in survival mode are also fake accomplishments

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 23, 2018

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lol it looks exactly like it too, wow.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Sleep or save handles it by making saves reduce your adrenaline a bit too. To be honest I've never been able to kill enough things before needing to sleep such that adrenaline has had any effect on my playthrough whatsoever. The stat penalties from not sleeping are more significant than a couple of percentage points to damage maybe some of the time.

Very true. Extra damage has never saved my life in survival, anyway. If I get murked it's because of a surprise rocket launcher or a ghoul that I missed entirely one shotting me.

Or a shopping cart I brushed against lightly flies directly through my torso. Either way, how is 15% extra damage a tempting reason to not sleep?

I'll have to try that out.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I treat beds like beds and dying like waking up from a bad dream.

I like horizon's system of punting you back to a settlement better and can't wait to see what more they do with it. It's clever enough to clean up all the loot you left behind so you can't just wander back to get it.

Of course everything else about horizon also owns, like hp-as-resource.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

2house2fly posted:

They patched in Survival mode months after release

E: I see that's come up. Well also, beating the game and getting achievements in survival mode are also fake accomplishments

I modded in dirty water in the workshop (because single use bottles of water that I had already refilled after finding them as garbage is some bull poo poo) and the sanctuary bridge fix, and don't play with "beating the game" in mind. I don't get achievements. It's not a competition. I'm not better because I play on Survival mode. The game is better because I play it on Survival mode.

They patched Survival mode in because the game was poo poo without it, it's not like I didn't play it on normal mode first. FO4 was rushed out the door. Everyone knows that. The devs still took the time and effort after release to patch in a significantly different game mode with a bunch of extra status effects, adding weight to ammo, making healing items heal over time, significantly changing mob spawn rates, etc. That all also needed to be balanced, and you're trying to say that bullet sponge action mode Fallout 4 on Normal difficulty on release was the dev's vision for the game? k

Chronojam posted:

I like horizon's system of punting you back to a settlement better and can't wait to see what more they do with it. It's clever enough to clean up all the loot you left behind so you can't just wander back to get it.

Of course everything else about horizon also owns, like hp-as-resource.

Well except for being a console exclusive, yeah it is one of the best games that came out last year. I did watch Hannah play the whole drat game.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 23, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm not trying to say anything, but please continue to type walls of words about how much you care

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dude that took me a few minutes. Not everyone is functionally illiterate.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Dude that took me a few minutes. Not everyone is functionally illiterate.

Is everything okay at home you seem really aggressive and sad

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Well except for being a console exclusive, yeah it is one of the best games that came out last year. I did watch Hannah play the whole drat game.

I'm pretty sure he means the mod "Horizons" that takes all that survival stuff and turns the dial to annoying

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes horizon is a mod for fallout 4, not the game horizon zero dawn.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Not everyone is functionally illiterate though.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm dysfunctionally illiterate

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
LoL. Y'all so mad about my video game opinions you're trying to emotionally attack me with concern trolling and dog pile shitposting. Cya later nerds.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You sound upset is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
survival felt hacked in and terrible