Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I appear to have read the Killing Joke 30 years too late. It's a well-told, well-drawn take on what is very slight material that because of its short length it can't delve deep enough, so what does stand out is all the sheer nastyness of it all. It's sort of like how Goldfinger still holds up 50 years later if you ignore the part where James Bonds penis cures a woman from the gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even Moore has said that Killing Joke is one of his weaker pieces and he's come to dislike it over the years. It does have the best Joker origin story though.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Killing joke is helped a lot by how amazing the art is and how atmospheric it feels. It's far from perfect or even great on a cold read, yes, but as a self-contained work, it breathes and grips you in a way few other comics manage to.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even Moore has said that Killing Joke is one of his weaker pieces and he's come to dislike it over the years. It does have the best Joker origin story though.

very true. my favorite moor story is For the Man Who Has Everything. plus a few others. that being said, also it has to be said moore hates everything he ever did and is kinda nuts.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I appear to have read the Killing Joke 30 years too late. It's a well-told, well-drawn take on what is very slight material that because of its short length it can't delve deep enough, so what does stand out is all the sheer nastyness of it all. It's sort of like how Goldfinger still holds up 50 years later if you ignore the part where James Bonds penis cures a woman from the gay.

this. there are hosed up elements but they are still good stories, even if DC animated movie version was the worst poo poo ever. that thing was loving monkeys paw wish.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 23, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They already tried present day Assassin’s Creed. They gave the guy a silenced gun and he was completely unstoppable if not for the fact he had to sacrifice himself to an internet goddess to protect the earth from a massive solar flare that still somewhat hosed with the planet but not so badly that literally Ubi Soft couldn’t steal his body to do experiments on it to figure out the ancient aliens while still creating video games

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Calaveron posted:

They already tried present day Assassin’s Creed. They gave the guy a silenced gun and he was completely unstoppable if not for the fact he had to sacrifice himself to an internet goddess to protect the earth from a massive solar flare that still somewhat hosed with the planet but not so badly that literally Ubi Soft couldn’t steal his body to do experiments on it to figure out the ancient aliens while still creating video games

Christ I hate videogames.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

very true. my favorite moor story is For the Man Who Has Everything. plus a few others. that being said, also it has to be said moore hates everything he ever did and is kinda nuts.

Personally I prefer Othello

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I miss decent crime films. It feels like there's so many stories, even about the American Mafia, that have yet to be told

Still nothing whatsoever happening at VidCon, what the hell is going on. Why isn't there any ridiculous trumped up fake drama

Like. the closest we seem to have is people mad at Grace Helbig for apologising to people who were mad at Grace Helbig for the unpardonable sin of having Laci Green for a light chat on her podcast that I didn't even know existed. Pretty loving lame compared to the glory of last year when we had people going nuts over a brunch and FoldableHuman's not having fun face

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 23, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I Before E posted:

Personally I prefer Othello

i liked macbeth and Julius caesar. that and i stick with the belief that romeo and Juliet is a dark comedy.

Kim Justice posted:

I miss decent crime films. It feels like there's so many stories, even about the American Mafia, that have yet to be told

Still nothing whatsoever happening at VidCon, what the hell is going on. Why isn't there any ridiculous trumped up fake drama

Like. the closest we seem to have is people mad at Grace Helbig for apologising to people who were mad at Grace Helbig for the unpardonable sin of having Laci Green for a light chat on her podcast that I didn't even know existed. Pretty loving lame compared to the glory of last year when we had people going nuts over a brunch and FoldableHuman's not having fun face

I get by it with good crime podcasts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bakeneko posted:

Although, there’s a scene in Origins that suggests the possibility of building an animus that can actually send someone back in time, Quantum Leap style, rather than just into a simulation. If they built on this and had the player facing off against other time-travelers that could be a way of having the modern and historical plotlines intersect in a way that wasn’t possible before. It would probably be an unpopular idea amongst fans that want purely historical games, but I’d like it.

What scene was that? Also given the way Odyssey is being described, it might very well be this.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What scene was that? Also given the way Odyssey is being described, it might very well be this.

It’s a part of the sixth vault sequence:

quote:

The Animus was humankind’s first unconscious attempt to explain what it could not see. Understanding genetic memories, an eye into history.

But the Animus bears a fatal flaw. It follows the rules from those who embrace Order just as we did. It allows you to witness – but not alter.

Your Animus is different. As is the mind that imagined it. It could escape the code. It could do that leap. And make possible a decision that defies the order of things that are.

Wake up.
Be the chaos that comes to be. Gods are just like you and me.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Here you go

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1010293524569509888

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

quote:

Mongeau, who has more than 3.5 million subscribers

I'd never heard of this person before and I know it's just me not being part of that scene or generation but I always think of this quote from Jenny Nicholson's Jeff the Killer video (which everybody should watch cause it's pretty great).

quote:

How is it like that, that like, every week I can discover 5 new youtube channels I've never heard of before and they have, like, as many followers as people in a country.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 23, 2018

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Nyx Fears on Hereditary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGLDKVUJbkw

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Taking a series known for magnificent architecture and setting it in a colonial shithole with zero famous buildings was a masterstroke.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

AC1 was always supposed to be like 2009 or something. just with some more secret advancements.

Also more apocalyptic poo poo going on in the background.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On that note, a Chinese AssCreed would be nice. Especially since we already know there are Chinese Assassins.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Garrand posted:

I'd never heard of this person before and I know it's just me not being part of that scene or generation but I always think of this quote from Jenny Nicholson's Jeff the Killer video (which everybody should watch cause it's pretty great).

it makes me feel old. i had never heard of ricegum until i saw a bunch of the people that mock youtubers pop up in my sidebar making fun of him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought Idubbbz took her down?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only vidcon panelists I recognize are Ray Kurzweil and Rebecca Black. Hopefully they get a chance to hang out together in the green room. Everyone else could be a parody of youtube people for all I know. For that off-label vidcon, forget it.

The nakedly avarice of the whole thing is extremely distasteful, as the subtext of all of it seems to be developing a science of manipulating the attention of young children. They really missed out not having those Elsa Spiderman Baby Joker Nails Through Hands people do a roundtable.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is there an explanation for how those videos became so big?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Oh, the TanaCon mess is something else (thanks Dan!). It's essentially a hallway with no activities, no guarantee that you'll even get to the meet and greet you want, and people who bought tickets waiting hours and most likely not getting in...and there's gonna be a second day of it! This is what happens when you try and organise a convention in a month, by the way. Shockingly it turns out these things take a bit more time to get right, who knew. This is the good thread for all sorts of Tanacon-related poo poo, it may actually be worse than Dashcon - let alone the Fyre Festival:

https://twitter.com/cacasmiddlename/status/1010188927955685376

Tbh I'm not gonna lie, I'd happily attend Vidcon if I had the money to go there. Always feels like the premier YT'ers works outing, and seems like folks I follow always have loads of fun there. Plus y'know, networking and poo poo would make it invaluable. There is a European Vidcon but it's obviously not on the scale of something in LA...obviously if anyone's willing to put me on a plane next year and fly me with there with some loose obligation to film poo poo or get on some panel I'm not gonna say no (5-star accomodation only please! I don't do motels, do I look like Dan Bell?)

Being on an expo/convention circuit is expensive but fuuun.

quote:

The dark arts of SEO manipulation. God knows why Elsa and syringes hit the spot so hard but they do.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Down the Rabbit Hole did a video on the family finger videos that explains the whole thing.

Basically they're made by a computer algorithm that puts the scenes in random order and swaps characters around. The same "media network" (mostly based in China) uploads hundreds of thousands of them and the content is specifically designed to exploit the algorithms of the YouTube kids app that just constantly streams videos.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

reminder that fyre festival was actually good because it bilked a bunch of rich assholes out of a lot of money. ja rule is a hero of the people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Down the Rabbit Hole did a video on the family finger videos that explains the whole thing.

Basically they're made by a computer algorithm that puts the scenes in random order and swaps characters around. The same "media network" (mostly based in China) uploads hundreds of thousands of them and the content is specifically designed to exploit the algorithms of the YouTube kids app that just constantly streams videos.

i meant the ethan bradberry episodes where they're dressing up as the characters but it probably worked the same way.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Fyrefestival was the one where a bunch of rich kiddies were left stranded in an island with little food and little shelter right?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If Internet Historian is to be believed, kind of but not really? Seems like there was a lot of misreporting on the ticket prices and such.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Reminder that DanO did a good video explaining the weird kids channels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKp2gikIkD8

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kim Justice posted:

Oh, the TanaCon mess is something else (thanks Dan!). It's essentially a hallway with no activities, no guarantee that you'll even get to the meet and greet you want, and people who bought tickets waiting hours and most likely not getting in...and there's gonna be a second day of it! This is what happens when you try and organise a convention in a month, by the way. Shockingly it turns out these things take a bit more time to get right, who knew. This is the good thread for all sorts of Tanacon-related poo poo, it may actually be worse than Dashcon - let alone the Fyre Festival:

https://twitter.com/cacasmiddlename/status/1010188927955685376

But do they have a ball pit?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

thats loving creepy as gently caress.

Bakeneko posted:

It’s a part of the sixth vault sequence:

thats explains the choices and different endings in Odyssey then.

this is why i always just go to already established cons. sure you could miss out on fun stuff but alot of times it ends up being this. one of my favorite stories is when that con artist couple made up that brony con and made a fake currency to use and then pulled the fire alarm and ran with the money.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I just watched this yesterday and came here to post it. It's very good. I subscribed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/m_m_myers/status/1010606725068554240

Why can't you leftists be more like JewKillerPepe and make a funny meme when you think I've done something bad????

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

https://twitter.com/m_m_myers/status/1010606725068554240

Why can't you leftists be more like JewKillerPepe and make a funny meme when you think I've done something bad????

boogie is sad loving moron and i wonder how he manages to loving breath.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Seriously to hell with Boogie. He's basically telling me the gay trans woman to "maybe take it easy so the white people (like me Boogie :V) can get used to ya." gently caress off with that naivete when we have literal ICE members acting as kapos and nazis detaining mexicans and abusing brown kids.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hope this year's vidcon involved boogie getting a mild talking to and spending three weeks having a screaming meltdown about how he was attacked.

Normal centrist rational dude.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Right calls you a cuck, the left calls you a Nazi. Boo hoo if the mean ole' lefties are rude to you you clueless idiot.

Maybe you should listen to them and stop being a shithead who equates discussing gender and sexuality in video games with loving Charlottesville?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 23, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the dumbest part about that is everyone knows the right can't meme.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Annointed posted:

Seriously to hell with Boogie. He's basically telling me the gay trans woman to "maybe take it easy so the white people (like me Boogie :V) can get used to ya." gently caress off with that naivete when we have literal ICE members acting as kapos and nazis detaining mexicans and abusing brown kids.

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1010581891081228290

yeah pretty much. honestly the worst part is that i genuinely believe he is not intentionally malicious with his poo poo. he is just an extremely dumb centrist moron who thinks he is a rationalist and that causes him to be a loving moronic loving dipshit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Being an internet personality he should know better then most that people will never ever budge on something they believe in, you wait 5 years they'll still screech about gay marriage.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leal posted:

Being an internet personality he should know better then most that people will never ever budge on something they believe in, you wait 5 years they'll still screech about gay marriage.

its because he believes everyone will be best friends if only they decorum or some poo poo. personally, i find it sad because i think he is probably a decent guy, he is just dumb as hell and makes awful centrist hot takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

He phrases it like it was a battle in a war, the day the gays finally conquered Marriage Hill but at a great cost.

Like what the gently caress is he even thinking, who believes that someone who so violently hates gay people he would commit murder would just mellow out over five years. And what kinda victim-blaming rear end rhetoric is that anyway, yeah did you expect loving murderers to not kill you when you asked for equal rights? Shoulda waited five years for them to grow out of their murder phase, that's how it works you know.