Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Turd Herder posted:

Anyone try The Crew 2 Demo? It looks to be tanking hard. I want some more feed back before i waste the bandwidth .

It's just more The Crew except now there's boring boats and you can defeat the purpose of the game now by just flying everywhere.
The vehicle physics still suck and you feel like a matchbox skating everywhere.

It's a sequel that has no good reason to exist.

Total misfire on Ubisoft's end, certainly not part of their good franchise re-configurating spree that they started with ACO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bad Seafood posted:

How feature complete is Oxygen Not Included? I'm always wary of Early Access games.

I've had it pitched to me as a combination of Don't Starve and Factorio, which is really making me wish it had a demo since I loved Factorio but quickly burned out on Don't Starve (though I did like the artstyle).

its complete. it basically sandbox/survival mode now. there is no ending. it could be released tomorrow.
its neither, its the sims with science. its nothing like factorio. its not really like don't starve because there is little action. its just a 2d ant farm in space. but they try to use basic physical science to model gas flow, temperature, phase changes.

temple fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 23, 2018

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Need more Goonbros: Nullunit

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I spoke too soon, I'm started to get frustrated with Celeste for the first playing the (post-game optional content) core. I can't get the hang of the bouncy crumbling lava platforms, and now I'm having to climb up four of them while lava is chasing me and I can't reliably control how hard or even if they fling me off. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, it's just the first time I've felt like my deaths are down to not understanding how to control something rather than actual mistakes, and the timed element is not helping me figure it out.

To be clear, I still think Celeste is incredible and offers tons of content tailored to different skill levels, I'm just a little salty with this one part. The fact that it took me 14 hours to find a part that I didn't completely love is pretty good IMO

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 23, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

SirSamVimes posted:

The presentation of the game is utterly superb. I've already mentioned the art but it bears repeating that it is completely and utterly gorgeous. The game is simultaneously adorable, melancholy and dark without any of these aspects detracting from the others. Each of the many enemies has unique art and animations, without any pallete swaps.

Worth noting: The game was delayed for some time, because it had one artist.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Gravy Jones posted:

I played it a while back and while everything in terms of interface and mechanics was pretty complete and polished, the "tech tree" aspect of it still had a long way to go... and I'm sure a lot of that has been added. There's nothing really Factorio about it though (I see a lot of games compared to Factorio that don't really capture anything that I love about it, but other people might see something I don't), more Don't Starve meets Rim World. It's got a similar worker priority system to Rim World. It seems solid and people like it, but it didn't really do much for me, I'll have another look when it's out of EA.I did enjoy Nom Nom Galaxy, which is a lot more lightweight as far as these type of games go, but it was goofy fun that hit a lot of the right buttons for me. It's not on sale though, but it's worth picking up if you ever see it for a couple of bucks.

temple posted:

its complete. it basically sandbox/survival mode now. there is no ending. it could be released tomorrow.
its neither, its the sims with science. its nothing like factorio. its not really like don't starve because there is little action. its just a 2d ant farm in space. but they try to use basic physical science to model gas flow, temperature, phase changes.
Hmm, I see. Thanks for the low-down.

So would it be fair to call it a more user-friendly Dwarf Fortress then? Babysitting your colonists while you direct them to expand your sprawling base until someone makes a mistake and you all die? I'm a fair-weather fan of that sort of base/city-building exercise, though I prefer a sense of direction where I can get it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Looking for games like Final Fantasy Tactics, any good recommendations?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Vincent posted:

Looking for games like Final Fantasy Tactics, any good recommendations?

Fool's errand.

But if you want the best on PC, try Voidspire Tactics and/or Alvora Tactics.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, so I came here to post about how I'm amazed at the sheer...difference in Far Cry 2 and 3. Playing them back to back is like, migod, who replaced my immersive jungle misery sim with a minimap, fast travel, and a magic tattoo?

Like, it's fun, don't get me wrong, but trying to draw comparisons between the two is an experience.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How is Tyranny? I'm very interested by the premise.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bad Seafood posted:

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the low-down.

So would it be fair to call it a more user-friendly Dwarf Fortress then? Babysitting your colonists while you direct them to expand your sprawling base until someone makes a mistake and you all die? I'm a fair-weather fan of that sort of base/city-building exercise, though I prefer a sense of direction where I can get it.

the main dev basically wanted to make DF but in space. it has no real combat tho. the aliens are friendly but you can shoot them anyway.

i've played for like 600 hrs obviously i like it. the big issue is that it gets very technical (like a factorio) when it comes to create plumbing, power lines, and ventilation. probably too technical because the mid phase of the game is basically just piping stuff until you get stable.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, so I came here to post about how I'm amazed at the sheer...difference in Far Cry 2 and 3. Playing them back to back is like, migod, who replaced my immersive jungle misery sim with a minimap, fast travel, and a magic tattoo?

Like, it's fun, don't get me wrong, but trying to draw comparisons between the two is an experience.

I know, right? And then by the time you get to this thing, it can be hard to remember where the series even started.

:whip: FPSummer :whip:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
4. Immortal Redneck
5. Rise of the Triad
6. BioShock Remastered
7. Crysis
8. Hard Reset Redux
9. Far Cry 2
10. Sanctum
11. Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
12. Crysis Warhead
13. BioShock 2 Remastered
14. Receiver
15. Blood and Bacon
16. Far Cry 3
17. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
18. BioShock Infinite
19. Prey
20. Call of Juarez Gunslinger
21. Crysis 2
22. Burial At Sea - Episode One (DLC)

23. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

Nostalgia for the 80s is unique in how it has evolved into something wholly unique and almost separate from its source. It’s less Breakfast Club and more Cobra, less hair metal and more synthwave, less Thunder Cats and more weird anime movies that played late at night. In the gaming world this retro-futurism didn’t start with Blood Dragon but it was definitely fueled by it, scattering outwards from the neon scanlined action of this stand-alone expansion to racing sims, arcade shooters, and more. And while this one is limited by its scope and ambition, there’s no denying that it’s a drat good time so long as the nostalgia holds.

In the far-flung year of 2007, nuclear war has led to the rise of a new breed of soldier, the Cyber Commando. Sergeant Rex Power Colt and his wise-crackin’ partner Spider have been dispatched to a remote island where their old commander, Colonel Sloan, is cooking up a classic world-threatening plot. The mission goes to hell and Rex finds himself stranded on the island, facing legions of cyber soldiers and the massive, ravenous blood dragons, with his only support being the turncoat Dr. Darling. Fortunately for the world, Rex is the only dude bad enough to blast his way through Sloan’s forces and put an end to the threat of the blood dragons for good.

That probably sounds like one of the fluff pieces you used to get on the back of G.I.JOE packages, because that’s exactly what Blood Dragon is going for. This is a send-up of every 80s action trope you can think of, from training montages and awkward sex scenes to riding into battle on the back of a cyber-dragon. It’s not reverent in the least, mind you; Blood Dragon is a full-on parody, poking fun at over-dramatized cutscenes and unnecessary violence. Rex cracks cheesy one-liners constantly, and when he isn’t he’s playing genre-savy with the neon action.

As a retro parody, Blood Dragon has its ups and downs. The biggest up is easily the aesthetic, with everything coated in neon, over-saturated with color, and lightly scrambled with a VHS filter. It goes deeper than that, though, with a sparsely-covered island and ominous crimson skies that call to mind early attempts at computer graphics. The game feels like an 80s fever dream, like a synth mix album cover, though the action is pulled straight from Far Cry 3 as the name implies. It loses something in the transfer, though, limiting your weapons to just four and streamlining the gameplay to just a few plot missions, a handful of strongholds to topple, and a fraction of the collectibles to find. The sparseness of the island isn’t just aesthetic, there’s very little to do and you can easily 100% the game in around six hours.

The combat is still top-notch, though, giving you all the takedowns and gunplay you’ve come to expect with a few little tweaks thrown in. You can run and jump much faster than in FC3, which helps speed up combat and travel significantly. Chaining takedowns is something you can do right from the start, and the throwing knife is replaced with a neon shuriken in case you doubted the commitment to the joke here. There’s also a neat mechanic with the mighty blood dragons, where you can rip cyber hearts out of soldiers and chuck them to summon the beasts on a rampage, a preview of the animal chaos you can sow later in the series.

It’s not the smartest or the deepest game, but Blood Dragon is a great way to extend the action of Far Cry 3. Don’t expect too much from the parody aspect, as it’ll probably have you smirking the whole way through as opposed to belly-laughing. Expect everything and then some from the look and feel though, because the visual design is killer and the combat’s as good as ever, if a bit limited. I’m not sure this would have worked as a bigger game but it’s fine just the way it is, a bit of retro-futuristic silliness propped up by solid gunplay and the best neon money can buy.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
picked up pacman championship edition 2 and so far, its good but the sting of it being worse than pacman cedx+ is hard to get over

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I haven't played it yet, but as I understand it, the consensus on Tyranny is that it's amazing. It's short (relatively speaking for these type of games), it's clever, and it's one of the few games where you can be a bad guy who isn't all "evil rarr rip kill" and is instead a thoughtful kind of villainy.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I liked it but I just played a good guy and joined up with the rebels, many people who bought into it specifically for the "be a bad guy" thing were disappointed.

My main complaint is that it ends at what feels like the midpoint of the story, and since it didn't do too good there likely won't be a sequel.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 23, 2018

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
I recall a year or so back there was some hype in this thread for product on steam that was more Utility than game; a budgeting software that a lot of people recommended. I can't seem to find it though, as I've forgotten what it was called and searching for 'budget' does not bring up anything remotely relevant. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

I recall a year or so back there was some hype in this thread for product on steam that was more Utility than game; a budgeting software that a lot of people recommended. I can't seem to find it though, as I've forgotten what it was called and searching for 'budget' does not bring up anything remotely relevant. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

It was You Need A Budget and it was removed from Steam and support has ended. I think they got some kind of subscription based web service now.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

YNAB (You need a budget) probably, quick google suggests it's gone from steam now as they changed it to a sub-only online service.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You Need Yet Another Subscription-Based Service seems a little contrary to the goal of better budgeting.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ah, that's a shame. Thanks for the quick answer though!

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Time to post my favorite entry on steam again https://store.steampowered.com/app/732710/Quicken_WillMaker_Plus_2018/

Eternal Hobo
Nov 7, 2008
You Need a Budget is my 2nd most played game on Steam with 112 hours...

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good dating sims on steam sale?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I want survival horror, should I get Resi 7 or Evil Within 2? I sort of bounced off EW1, but I've heard EW2 is better.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Doki Doki Literature club is pretty good, though it does deal with some adult issues.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Chas McGill posted:

I want survival horror, should I get Resi 7 or Evil Within 2? I sort of bounced off EW1, but I've heard EW2 is better.

They're really different, but if you're thinking of something in the RE4 mold when you say survival horror, Evil Within 2 is a really great game in that style. Lots of good exploration, satisfying development via weapon upgrades and an xp system, and on higher difficulties the enemies are deadly enough to make you watch your step and conserve ammo. I hated the first one but The Evil Within 2 is legitimately a great survival horror game mechanically. The tension/scares can be hit or miss (there are some great setpieces but it's easy for the more open areas to stop feeling very threatening) but the actual playing the game part is as good as any game of this type.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xander77 posted:

Doki Doki Literature club is pretty good, though it does deal with some adult issues.

i read that it has some gore? i really dont want that right now

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Some of the failure routes get a bit bloody, yeah, but it's not too hard to save and reload when you're heading towards a bad ending.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's a meme game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DrNutt posted:

You Need Yet Another Subscription-Based Service seems a little contrary to the goal of better budgeting.

Yeah a bit, but people who adopt the program fully tend to report really good results. Their system is more for people who are struggling to figure out where their money is going, though, since it focuses on micromanagement and manual bean counting. Mint is better for people who just need to be in maintenance/investment mode.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 23, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DoctorGonzo posted:

There's blood, self-harm, and suicide, so you may want to stay away from it. Also,

Broken Cog posted:

It's a meme game.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

VA-11 Hall-A might be something you'd be interested in.

Edit: Actually, I'm not quite sure it has dating in the traditional sense..

Any opinions on Blackwake or Nine Parchments?

dioxazine fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 23, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Kindred Spirits on the Roof - Help a pair of ghost lesbians learn how to do the dirty by helping other lesbians hook up. Actually really good.

Hakuoki - You're a girl, you meet hot samurai, you get embroiled in samurai politics and learn about Japanese history along with some vampire stuff. I like it a lot! Note that this is only half of the game, the other half is bundled with it so the whole thing is 8$ or so.

CLANNAD - I don't remember much of this one because I played half of it literally years ago, but it's got dating in it.

Tokyo Babel - Okay, it's more anime fight plot than dating, but there are three* cute anime ladies you can choose from. *Third girl has to be unlocked by completing the other two routes. Also you fight god.

Hatoful Boyfriend - Date pigeons, it's actually good despite the silly premise.

Himawari - This is very anime but in a sweet way. Help an amnesiac girl refind yourself while building a rocket with friends.

You know more than I do what you want out of a dating sim, so here's a bunch of 'em.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

VA-11 Hall-A might be something you'd be interested in.

Any opinions on Blackwake or Nine Parchments?

Blackwake is 12$ in the humble monthly that's running now, along with Hearts of Iron IV and Portal Knights

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I will never forgive the supply lines and AI encirclement failures in Hearts of Iron IV, but thank you.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

It's a meme game.

So is Dark Souls.

What point is that comment even supposed to make?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Naar posted:

Did you try the demo? I thought it looked good from the store page, but didn't enjoy the demo at all.

Koburn posted:

D&D is a clunky mess, try the demo first to see if you can put up with it.

I enjoyed the demo. Just wondered whether or not the game gets long in the tooth.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

HenryEx posted:

What point is that comment even supposed to make?

it's not a game you sincerely recommend to someone who wants to play a dating sim

i even like it, but blindly reccing it is just a dick move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

temple posted:

the main dev basically wanted to make DF but in space. it has no real combat tho. the aliens are friendly but you can shoot them anyway.

i've played for like 600 hrs obviously i like it. the big issue is that it gets very technical (like a factorio) when it comes to create plumbing, power lines, and ventilation. probably too technical because the mid phase of the game is basically just piping stuff until you get stable.
Hmm, alright, I'll sit on the a little longer then, I think. Sleep on it. Plenty of other stuff to grab in the meantime.

Thanks again.