Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Did Dolph have good movies? I like him in The Punisher and Universal Soldier, and I’m wondering if there are any good ones besides Rocky I’m missing.

Red Scorpion, Army of One, Men of War are all solid watches

e: also Dark Angel aka I Come in Peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrBling posted:

This is still the best thing about that movie.

And also Nash pointing out that stunt work is both harder an easier than wrestling. Easier because you only have to worry about a few camera angles, harder because you can't actually just punch the other guy to make it look good.

Also when the director told Nash to follow Jane through the hole in the wall, but the crew hadn't made the hole big enough, so Nash just broke the wall himself to fit.

And when Rebecca Romijn was stitching up Jane, she actually did sew into him several times.

McSpanky posted:

I think it got unfairly dunked on by fanboys who didn't get the 100-minute X-rated bloodletting they were expecting (and like some other internet-savaged cape flicks, actually got a pretty faithful adaptation that they theoretically really wanted instead). The movie has a great macabre sense of humor, as in the aforementioned fight sequence, Frank bringing a knife to a gun fight, the blowtorch interrogation and Travolta's completely ridiculous final farewell.

The blow torch scene, which I saw fans complaining about because "Frank would've really tortured that guy" was directly lifted from a comic.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tezcatlipoca posted:

How do you people feel about the Tom Jane Punisher? I haven't watched it in a while but I remember liking his fight with super Shredder. Where all his carefully hidden weaponry fails as he's getting turned to burger and he has to improvise to get the upper hand. That was a cool scene.

It’s a lot of fun, Thomas Jane makes a good Punisher and there’s a good amount of goofy weirdness to the movie. The scene that really sticks out for me is when Harry Heck walks into a diner to confront the Frank Castle, and pulls out a guitar and sings a folk song about how he’s going to kill the Frank. It was a one-take and the actor didn’t practice the song.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

McSpanky posted:

I think it got unfairly dunked on by fanboys who didn't get the 100-minute X-rated bloodletting they were expecting (and like some other internet-savaged cape flicks, actually got a pretty faithful adaptation that they theoretically really wanted instead). The movie has a great macabre sense of humor, as in the aforementioned fight sequence, Frank bringing a knife to a gun fight, the blowtorch interrogation and Travolta's completely ridiculous final farewell.

Eh, I always kind of got the vibe that Punisher diehards really liked it and that it was more the general action movie crowd that kinda went "ehhhh" at it. It's an amazing adaptation of the comics, but people wanted a slicker version of the Dolph movie, basically.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tom Jane's Punisher flick suffers heavily from having Travolta as the villain. Not just in the acting (which is prime hambone), but also in terms of how the character is constructed. Since he doesn't pose much of a physical threat to Frank Castle, and Travolta can't play sadistic well, the back half of the movie is basically Castle pulling a bunch of pranks on a rich idiot. And that might be fine for another movie, but The Punisher really works at its best when you have a villain equal to his level of constant escalation (which is something that Garth Ennis completely got, and filled his MAX run with the worst loving scumbags imaginable). Jane himself is great in the role and it has a lot of little fun scenes like Harry Heck and The Russian, but it doesn't really have enough "oomph" to it, and a lot of that has to do with Travolta just being seriously miscast.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
They shoulda saved MCD Kingpin for that movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Did Dolph have good movies? I like him in The Punisher and Universal Soldier, and I’m wondering if there are any good ones besides Rocky I’m missing.
Masters of the Universe is good, but mainly because of Frank Langella and some good production design

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Skin Trade, the Last Patrol, Sweepers (less punching, more land mines). It's kind of a toss-up, sometimes. Younger Dolph for better fighting, or old Dolph for almost knowing how to act?

Battle of the Damned is pure popcorn for the utter goofiness of it all.

Do not watch Detention. I love Dolph with all my popcorn*, and I still can't force myself to watch that one a second time. The only person who had any fun at all was the main villain, who got to chew the scenery.

* Yes, popcorn. When will he go full Godzilla and stomp a cardboard Tokyo????

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He's in Johnny Mnemonic but I have never seen it, so I have no idea if it's good or not. It was his last theatrical movie until the Expendables movies came out.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's in Johnny Mnemonic but I have never seen it, so I have no idea if it's good or not. It was his last theatrical movie until the Expendables movies came out.

In Johnny Mnemonic Dolph plays a cybernetically-enhanced street preacher assassin who yells "It's Jesus time!" before attacking Keanu Reeves, so yeah, it's pretty fuckin great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Do not watch Detention. I love Dolph with all my popcorn*, and I still can't force myself to watch that one a second time. The only person who had any fun at all was the main villain, who got to chew the scenery.

Do, however, watch Detention with Josh Hutcherson.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
watching ip man 2 and jfc this bit where the western boxer is beating sammo hung to death

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Punisher '04 is a silly nice time. I dig the theme as well.

Ethan Hawke's 24 Hours To Shoot Every Human In The loving Head was pretty bad outside of the action scenes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Johnny Mnemonic is a must watch. It's a bad movie but in incredible ways with a super idiotic script and the entire cast is in full scenery chewing mode. Also like Fart City mentioned, if the movie has an actual serious flaw it's that he's not in the movie more. Like I would have watched an entire movie just about his character.

In context this is supposed to be a serious turning point and moment of realization where Keanu Reeves goes from rear end in a top hat to hero. It's amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1okpAj7Fhw

Keanu Reeves needs a computer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE5L3WVIGW8

Technology can be good......but sometimes it can be bad?!?!? Wow so deep incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOovtZXYqj4

Also it doesn't save the movie but interestingly the Japanese version of Johnny Mnemonic has a very different (some find it waaaaay better soundtrack). It kind of is better but it's not particularly amazing or anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

James Woods Fan posted:

Ethan Hawke's 24 Hours To Shoot Every Human In The loving Head was pretty bad outside of the action scenes.

And the action scenes aren't really anything special either. Affleck is 10 times better in The Accountant, for instance.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Basebf555 posted:

And the action scenes aren't really anything special either. Affleck is 10 times better in The Accountant, for instance.

It's painfully obvious Hawke couldn't do what was physically required for the role. Affleck definitely surprised me in The Accountant.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Punisher's problem is that it's just not much of an action movie. The fight with the Russian is great, it's a really great fight scene, but the film doesn't contain a single other memorable action scene. It's a real pity, since Tom Jane very clearly put the work in physically. He's in outstanding shape and looks really good handling guns.

Also, yeah, Travolta is a pretty inactive villain and not at all intimidating.

Clipperton posted:

watching ip man 2 and jfc this bit where the western boxer is beating sammo hung to death

It's a really uncomfortable scene. Especially since it goes out of way to establish that a) Hung has a lot of kids b) he's not prepared and is twice the age of the other guy and c) he only loses because of a heart attack and keeps getting in there 'for China's pride.'

It even goes back later and makes it even more pointless. Yen flashes back to the advice he gave Hung, which Hung ignored. Yen follows his own advice and instantly wins.

It's a really common, tropey scene for kung fu films, but a few things made it really, really uncomfortable.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Neo Rasa posted:

Johnny Mnemonic is a must watch. It's a bad movie but in incredible ways with a super idiotic script and the entire cast is in full scenery chewing mode. Also like Fart City mentioned, if the movie has an actual serious flaw it's that he's not in the movie more. Like I would have watched an entire movie just about his character.

I saw a trailer for it when I went to see Upgrade, and it looked like a trashier, stupider Strange Days. Keanu Reeves traded his entire childhood to have 60GB of storage in his brain! Henry Rollins out of nowhere! A soundtrack featuring KMFDM and Stabbing Westward! Trainwreck sci-fi is very up my alley.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Johnny Mnemonic is straight up underrated as gently caress. Keanu is actually really good in it, he just wasn't the type of action hero we liked back then, basically.

Like, if you read all of his scenes as just being tired and vulnerable, his performance works great. What little badassery Johnny can muster up is a front: he's basically just some random dumbfuck courier who got dragged into an ungodly shitstorm, not John McClane.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I saw a trailer for it when I went to see Upgrade, and it looked like a trashier, stupider Strange Days. Keanu Reeves traded his entire childhood to have 60GB of storage in his brain! Henry Rollins out of nowhere! A soundtrack featuring KMFDM and Stabbing Westward! Trainwreck sci-fi is very up my alley.

The mid-nineties hacksploitation genre is severely underrated, and often absolutely delightful in its naivety about technology.

Mark my words: if a CD-ROM factors as a major plotpoint, you’re gonna have a good time. Bonus points if the internet is a place you can physically visit.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I have a VHS copy of The Net I found in a thrift store, because how could I pass up on a VHS of the movie where Sandra Bullock orders Dominos Pizza!! Through the Internet!!!

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Actually she orders the best pizza in cyberspace from Pizza.net

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Do not watch Detention.

Detention is one of the best films of the decade. Also he’s not in it.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

It's a really uncomfortable scene. Especially since it goes out of way to establish that a) Hung has a lot of kids b) he's not prepared and is twice the age of the other guy and c) he only loses because of a heart attack and keeps getting in there 'for China's pride.'

It even goes back later and makes it even more pointless. Yen flashes back to the advice he gave Hung, which Hung ignored. Yen follows his own advice and instantly wins.

It's a really common, tropey scene for kung fu films, but a few things made it really, really uncomfortable.

The whole thing is just loving weird, like all the other fights up to that point were whimsical wirework stuff with loads of jokes, then the movie comes to a screeching halt while we watch a senior citizen get mercilessly (and realistically!) beaten to a pulp. That bit where he gets spun around and ragdolls on the floor was just brutal. Not to mention the non-stop racial slurs getting hurled around either side of the fight. Also they portray Western boxing as more sadistic and brutal than they portrayed the Japanese occupation of China in WWII in the first one.

I mean this isn't my first Hong Kong movie, I know they like their tonal whiplash, but this was just nuts.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Remulak posted:

Detention is one of the best films of the decade. Also he’s not in it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0321997/

Bwahahahahah.

------------------
Johnny Mnemonic is cyberpunk, not strictly action. Well, it's cyberpunk up until the dolphin shows up, then it's Hollywood Wankery. If the dolphin had been a 45-yr-old human male in a wheelchair with all the wires permanently in his skull, or maybe routed through the stump of his legs, it would have stayed cyberpunk.

And I like it a lot more than the Matrix. :humph:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Since when is cyberpunk mutually exclusive from the action genre?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Yeah, and not for nothing but basically all of the poo poo that’s in the movie - dolphin included - is straight out of William Gibson’s short story.

And if you’re gonna say Williams Gibson doesn’t know cyberpunk, whoa nelly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah like it's a hilariously bad must watch movie but it sure as hell is a cyberpunk flick.

That reminds me, computer literate dolphins maintaining some systems on the Enterprise was briefly cannon in Star Trek: The Next Generation, but it only popped up in one of the technical manuals.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah like it's a hilariously bad must watch movie but it sure as hell is a cyberpunk flick.

That reminds me, computer literate dolphins maintaining some systems on the Enterprise was briefly cannon in Star Trek: The Next Generation, but it only popped up in one of the technical manuals.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I... never realized he made rank.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fart City posted:

I... never realized he made rank.

Apparently so! I was looking for a picture of his cast card in the opening credits but went with that one because if it's true it means he outranked Michael DeLuise.* I imagine that if seaQuest had lasted a couple more seasons, Darwin probably would've outranked Harry Kim.

* Who admittedly did have that story arc where he reveals he can't read, convinces one of the lieutenants to teach him to read so he could try the officer's exam, fails because he only learned to read a couple of weeks earlier, but then Michael Ironside promotes him to Warrant Officer despite being incredibly unqualified because on seaQuest you get credit for trying.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Fart City posted:

Yeah, and not for nothing but basically all of the poo poo that’s in the movie - dolphin included - is straight out of William Gibson’s short story.

<updates reading list>

The dolphin still sucked.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

* Who admittedly did have that story arc where he reveals he can't read, convinces one of the lieutenants to teach him to read so he could try the officer's exam, fails because he only learned to read a couple of weeks earlier, but then Michael Ironside promotes him to Warrant Officer despite being incredibly unqualified because on seaQuest you get credit for trying.

Seems like his sinking grades would have left him out to see without a paddle if Old Ironsides didn't have the ballast to keep him afloat.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Clipperton posted:

The whole thing is just loving weird, like all the other fights up to that point were whimsical wirework stuff with loads of jokes, then the movie comes to a screeching halt while we watch a senior citizen get mercilessly (and realistically!) beaten to a pulp. That bit where he gets spun around and ragdolls on the floor was just brutal. Not to mention the non-stop racial slurs getting hurled around either side of the fight. Also they portray Western boxing as more sadistic and brutal than they portrayed the Japanese occupation of China in WWII in the first one.

I mean this isn't my first Hong Kong movie, I know they like their tonal whiplash, but this was just nuts.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I thought “the dolphin” was just a fun nickname for Dolph Lundgren, but there is an actual loving dolphin in Johnny Mnemonic??

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yes, there is a Dolph in Johnny Mnemonic. It's Dolph Lundgren.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I thought “the dolphin” was just a fun nickname for Dolph Lundgren, but there is an actual loving dolphin in Johnny Mnemonic??

The dolphin is addicted to heroin.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Also it doesn't save the movie but interestingly the Japanese version of Johnny Mnemonic has a very different (some find it waaaaay better soundtrack). It kind of is better but it's not particularly amazing or anything.
I couldn't tell you all the differences, but having watched both, the Japanese version is a much better film.

Something I find striking about most cyberpunk media that hits the mainstream is that it's very focused on the US and Japan in a way that's trapped in the mid-80s. Very little influence from Effinger's Budayeen or even Gibson's Chiba.

Fart City posted:

Often it's not the plot content but the design and cinematography that determines how a work comes across. Imagine if The Matrix had been directed by, Idunno, Charles Band, or Mark Steven Johnson. Consider how George Miller was able to come back and make Fury Road after literally decades of cheesy ripoffs of his art direction. And for contrast, consider how John Carpenter's films in the 90s looked like cheesy ripoffs of himself.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 26, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Lumbermouth posted:

The dolphin is addicted to heroin.

And served in the Navy.

Yet another veteran let down by our forgetful nation.

Halloween Jack posted:

Often it's not the plot content but the design and cinematography that determines how a work comes across. Imagine if The Matrix had been directed by, Idunno, Charles Band, or Mark Steven Johnson. Consider how George Miller was able to come back and make Fury Road after literally decades of cheesy ripoffs of his art direction. And for contrast, consider how John Carpenter's films in the 90s looked like cheesy ripoffs of himself.

True, but I still think it’s a stretch to say that the film version of Johnny Mnemonic doesn’t qualify as cyberpunk. It meets all of the hallmarks is the genre. Really the only difference from its genre contemporaries is that all of the 80’s cyberpunk aesthetics are filtered through a mid-nineties lens.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

The mid-nineties hacksploitation genre is severely underrated, and often absolutely delightful in its naivety about technology.

Mark my words: if a CD-ROM factors as a major plotpoint, you’re gonna have a good time. Bonus points if the internet is a place you can physically visit.

Peak 90s Hacker is the VR bit from Disclosure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFkyV7d5t8o

But IMO Wild Palms is the best thing that ever came out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJMPCGo42cE