Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I mean he DOES realize just how long hate crimes against homosexuals and trans have been going on, right? Thousands of years. Another 5 isn't going to make people suddenly decide "hey this is a stupid thing to hate over".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"People died for the right to same sex marriage and I'm not okay with that." Boogie.

Well sorry, but I am okay with that. Is it tragic that people died? Absolutely. Would I want to take back the rights given to everyone else because of those people's sacrifice for their convictions? Hell no, you incompetent centrist idiot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leal posted:

I mean he DOES realize just how long hate crimes against homosexuals and trans have been going on, right? Thousands of years. Another 5 isn't going to make people suddenly decide "hey this is a stupid thing to hate over".

he is a moron. what do you expect.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

"People died for the right to same sex marriage and I'm not okay with that." Boogie.

Well sorry, but I am okay with that. Is it tragic that people died? Absolutely. Would I want to take back the rights given to everyone else because of those people's sacrifice for their convictions? Hell no, you incompetent centrist idiot.

I wonder what he thinks happened during the civil rights era?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like how he keeps phrasing it as if SSM hasn't already been achieved in the US to make it look like a concerned opinion and not an admonishment.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sorry my and others' existence is inconvenient for you Boogie the hell out of my feed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Motto posted:

I like how he keeps phrasing it as if SSM hasn't already been achieved in the US to make it look like a concerned opinion and not an admonishment.

it is and it isn't. if the GOP gets desperate, they may try for a ban somehow(it won't work) but still.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's really telling how much of an 'ally' he is that he thinks our small win on gay marriage was like, THE war.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

it's really telling how much of an 'ally' he is that he thinks our small win on gay marriage was like, THE war.

The War, and nothing else. Trans rights? A mere medal in the gallery of success *Boogie wistfully looks at his screen as his twitter is filled with anime avis*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just don't get why these guys ever talk about politics. they haven't read anything about it in their lives they've just played video games.

like jontron going on destiny's stream and outing himself as a racist. why do that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

i just don't get why these guys ever talk about politics. they haven't read anything about it in their lives they've just played video games.

like jontron going on destiny's stream and outing himself as a racist. why do that.

I forgot who did it but I think about that tweet a lot.

"I have a career, somehow, entirely based on playing video games for a camera. I have a good life, friends, family, and a steady if limited income stream..."

"Time to tell everyone my real feelings on The Jews."

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Since the middle of last year I don't give a gently caress about politics aside from laughing at stupid/ridiculous poo poo or light commentary. Best decision I've made imho (I kinda had to but no need for detail). TBH the love of my life is political enough for both of us.

It's good to not be an ist

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

because most things right now have turned into a political battleground because of various reasons. stupid fucks like jontron listened to chud types and picked up their talking points and then he hosed himself(rightfully) by outing himself. now he career is dead.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because most things right now have turned into a political battleground because of various reasons. stupid fucks like jontron listened to chud types and picked up their talking points and then he hosed himself(rightfully) by outing himself. now he career is dead.

Is it though? As I said back when he did it, I completely stopped watching him, but didn't he start making videos like a year after doing it?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leal posted:

Is it though? As I said back when he did it, I completely stopped watching him, but didn't he start making videos like a year after doing it?

so did i. I saw him in my mentions. its mostly infomercial poo poo and its every few months if that. it sucks that he went down that road, he was a funny dude.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JonTronShow/videos

last video was 6 months ago.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this one always makes me lol

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Leal posted:

Dunno, I dropped his sub, but even when I was subbed his output was sporadic at best.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
for a more real answer the right wing grift machine is really strong right now so there's almost no harm in going full on apologist. Like, that bubble's gonna pop real soon but even people like Contra are tossing in with miss Apartheid Was Actually Good and we're pretending Boogie is a 'centrist' still and all even after he literally posted a how-to guide for spreading GG poo poo during its height, it's still super profitable to play the 'I believe in a diversity of opinions' card to try to sip from that lake.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hopefully someone gently calls Boogie out on his stupidity to his face again at VidCon and he has another week-long heaving public meltdown over it like last year.

A few years ago, someone once said apropos of nothing that I kind of reminded them of Boogie and even back then when I knew next to nothing about him, I came away feeling incredibly insulted (note: the person who said this is a massive shithead in general). If someone said that about me today, I would be absolutely enraged.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
late stage capitalism means consumption is identity and reactionaries of all stripes will always use 'spend money' as an easy shortcut to avoid actual activism. It's why poo poo like "YOU HAVE TO BUY TEN TICKETS EACH TO (whatever movie) TO OWN THE CHUDS" is popular on one end and "DONATING MY ENTIRE PAYCHECK TO BASED TOADFUCKER'S TWITCH STREAM TO OWN THE LIBS"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah jordan peterson makes almost as much as chapo does on patreon despite being a talentless waste.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea like, half his fans just buy his books because it makes people mad to post pictures of it. It's the same reason you got told by some that buying tickets to the ultra IMAX 3d version of Wonder Woman/Ghost Busters was your moral duty because that was MORE money for ~the cause~. Consumption is revolution, don't look at where that money actually goes you're buying your totem that makes you a good person.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

late stage capitalism means consumption is identity and reactionaries of all stripes will always use 'spend money' as an easy shortcut to avoid actual activism. It's why poo poo like "YOU HAVE TO BUY TEN TICKETS EACH TO (whatever movie) TO OWN THE CHUDS" is popular on one end and "DONATING MY ENTIRE PAYCHECK TO BASED TOADFUCKER'S TWITCH STREAM TO OWN THE LIBS"

yeah, god is dead, long live bazinga.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah jordan peterson makes almost as much as chapo does on patreon despite being a talentless waste.

I will never understand what people see in peterson.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

People, in general, are incredibly stupid. Jordan Peterson is only marginally smarter than they are and thereby looks like a phenomenal genius in direct comparison.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they need a dad to tell them what to do.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so did i. I saw him in my mentions. its mostly infomercial poo poo and its every few months if that. it sucks that he went down that road, he was a funny dude.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JonTronShow/videos

last video was 6 months ago.

Oh, hm. Well then, guess his career is pretty in the dumps.

sexpig by night posted:

for a more real answer the right wing grift machine is really strong right now so there's almost no harm in going full on apologist. Like, that bubble's gonna pop real soon but even people like Contra are tossing in with miss Apartheid Was Actually Good and we're pretending Boogie is a 'centrist' still and all even after he literally posted a how-to guide for spreading GG poo poo during its height, it's still super profitable to play the 'I believe in a diversity of opinions' card to try to sip from that lake.

Thats whats really annoying me about politics on the internet. Remember that school shooter game that was on steam? Someone made a post on it saying "please don't take it down we NEED this game to own the SJWs". Its NEEDED. It is a necessity for that person to buy a, lets be honest, lovely game just to go "lol owned". Owned I say, as I buy a buggy rear end game. Wrecked I murmur as I buy an asset flip that replaces the zombie model with anita sarkessian. Triggered I call out as I change my auto deposit form to deposit straight into jordan's bank account. loving murked, I shout to the heavens as I use my house as collateral to fund SJW Slaughtering Grounds. Owned I say as the police forcibly vacate me from my house. Triggered I say as I manage to get a dollar in my tin can and mail it to davis. Owned owned owned are my final thoughts as I pass on in the gutter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There's a really good King of the Hill where Khan is struggling with his identity as a Laotian immigrant mainly because his even more bougie friend was making him feel like a 'sellout' by being smug. The bougier dude tells him this story about how in Laos he bought a tiny wooden statue of a farmer from a street stall, and keeping that in his pocket is his connection to home, so that means he can have a very big house and a maid he treats rudely and make other immigrants feel like poo poo because he's got his little wood totem and they don't. It's just that same thinking applied to morality. It's fine that I spent my money at like five places that are actively murdering entire towns in the developing world, because I have my little box of rainbow french fries from one of them.

I don't mean this to be holier than thou, by the way. Peter Coffin has an amazing series on consumption and nerd identity and all that hits this point well too. You can just do the best you can, but maybe try to be more informed than the most surface level scan when you're choosing where to spend your money, but the real bad guys here are the assholes that made the world so lovely and incestuous that our only choices ARE these terrible and exploitative functions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just wish fury road had got all that wonder woman money because it's a much better movie and toxic masculinity and patriarchy are central themes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

There's a really good King of the Hill where Khan is struggling with his identity as a Laotian immigrant mainly because his even more bougie friend was making him feel like a 'sellout' by being smug. The bougier dude tells him this story about how in Laos he bought a tiny wooden statue of a farmer from a street stall, and keeping that in his pocket is his connection to home, so that means he can have a very big house and a maid he treats rudely and make other immigrants feel like poo poo because he's got his little wood totem and they don't. It's just that same thinking applied to morality. It's fine that I spent my money at like five places that are actively murdering entire towns in the developing world, because I have my little box of rainbow french fries from one of them.

I don't mean this to be holier than thou, by the way. Peter Coffin has an amazing series on consumption and nerd identity and all that hits this point well too. You can just do the best you can, but maybe try to be more informed than the most surface level scan when you're choosing where to spend your money, but the real bad guys here are the assholes that made the world so lovely and incestuous that our only choices ARE these terrible and exploitative functions.

good post. I am always kinda disgusted by nerd culture/consumerism. not just because of the whole immorality of parts of it. but because of how artifical/all consuming people/markets have made it. now EVERYTHING has to have a star wars thing on it or a rick and morty meme or loving pennywise or whatever. like i am fans of various series's/francises and i like digging into the lore and buy stuff sometimes. but too much is too much. I don't need to see loving FUNKO in every store.

I also HATE the nerd community turning every other movie/game/whatever into some moral imperative. "your a nazi if you like this" or "beat the nazis and see this movie because your woke" or "only cucks lib sjws hate this so buy it now" and then the "everything is political" argument gets trotted out each time and it turns into a big dumb thing. then people will start lining up for the next cultural battle over some dumb game or movie.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 23, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, god is dead, long live bazinga.

He’s an abuser telling people it’s OK to be abusers in faux-highbrow language. That’s it. That’s all there is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i just wish fury road had got all that wonder woman money because it's a much better movie and toxic masculinity and patriarchy are central themes.

Yeah, I wanted to like wonder women, but i wish it had been in WW2 instead of one because they gently caress the themes up a ton in that movie. One of the best examples is when she unlocks god mode and kills like 30 soldiers before the "i shouldnt kill this clearly evil rear end in a top hat". so some conscript gets obliterated but proto nazi lady gets spared. cool, like weird poo poo like that rubbed me the wrong way.

Fury road is loving fantastic and it one of my favorite movies. it makes me sad that some critics hated it and dismissed the cool well done messages and themes because "there was violence".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I also HATE the nerd community turning every other movie/game/whatever into some moral imperative. "your a nazi if you like this" or "beat the nazis and see this movie because your woke" or "only cucks lib sjws hate this so buy it now" and then the "everything is political" argument gets trotted out each time and it turns into a big dumb thing. then people will start lining up for the next cultural battle over some dumb game or movie.

i replied to shaun tweeting about a deleted scene from last jedi. i thought it was a joke because the scene sounded very dumb so i replied as if he was making a joke. then i got dogpiled by people thinking i was a chud. if they'd taken five seconds to check my timeline they'd see that is very much not the case.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

He’s an abuser telling people it’s OK to be abusers in faux-highbrow language. That’s it. That’s all there is.

yeah. i know. its just so clear he doesnt know what he is talking about. there was some great article by a fellow professor at his college that explained how he became such a shithead and hypocrite.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i replied to shaun tweeting about a deleted scene from last jedi. i thought it was a joke because the scene sounded very dumb so i replied as if he was making a joke. then i got dogpiled by people thinking i was a chud. if they'd taken five seconds to check my timeline they'd see that is very much not the case.

same. alot of people on both sides just want scalps on the wall so they can "own libs/nazis". its sad.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've noticed this is a really baffling bugbear of yours but its ridiculous notion that those movies are somehow locked in mortal combat with each and absolves Fury Road of it's own problems which tend to get ignored because that movie is so popular with nerds.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I've noticed this is a really baffling bugbear of yours but its ridiculous notion that those movies are somehow locked in mortal combat with each and absolves Fury Road of it's own problems which tend to get ignored because that movie is so popular with nerds.

whats wrong with their opinion. they didnt say wonder woman was bad, they said they preferred fury road and they think it handled its themes better. in my opinion both movies have their thematic faults and strengths.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's not really baffling, if any big blockbuster movie should've been the one people made a political thing about it should've been that one.

it's certainly not flawless but it's probably a top ten action movie and wonder woman isn't.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not really baffling, if any action movie should've been the one people made a political thing about it should've been that one.

it's certainly not flawless but it's probably a top ten action movie and wonder woman isn't.

amen to that. I think fury road came out before the "seeing this movie=political activism" thing. I remember some chuds getting mad over it but thats about it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats wrong with their opinion. they didnt say wonder woman was bad, they said they preferred fury road and they think it handled its themes better. in my opinion both movies have their thematic faults and strengths.

Because he's pitting them against each other in a way that really doesn't make much sense because of superficial Feminist-ish themes despite the voluminous differences between the two films and treating Fury Road as just the better version of WW mostly because the two films have a vague sort of progressiveness. But beyond that they don't have the same themes at all beyond the basic blockbuster stuff, and they're totally different in almost every way when it comes to things like tone, plot, cinematography and characterization, its apples and oranges.

It's like going 'God, it's so annoying the way people like Iron Man and not the Dark Knight Rises, They're both comic book movies about rich guys becoming superheroes right?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the reaction rather than the movies themselves.

it's "if you're going to make consumption your politics why not pick the much better consumer product that deals with your politics better".

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 24, 2018