Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everything’s a political act when you’re a reactionary because your very identity is in revolt against reality.

It’s probably a bit like how being on the left makes you think about how you are complicit in manifold suffering and destruction whenever you buy ice cream or go to the movies.

I bet there’s stronger and more persistent states of emotional arousal when you’re a chud, though. All my politics ever got me was persistent low-level depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the problem isn't the movies (very uncontroversial hot take: Lady Ghostbusters was fine, WW had a fascist lead and a deeply confused core ethos but was perfectly fine too) the problem is holding up the most absolute generic products possible as the icons. Like, Fury Road did fine, it doesn't 'need' the support but yea at least the Mad Max series actually has a long history of employing women in the industry and treating them well and all. If you want some big *clap emoji* give money to women in hollywood that are already incredibly wealthy *clap emoji* cause why hold up the most generic examples?

Like, there's currently a very small kerfluffle in Gay Movie Nerds World because the abysmal new Jurassic Park had a scene where they had a female lead say she was gay and they cut it. Annoying? Sure, but it turns out the scene was this lovely "Oh wow Chris Pratt you sure are a sexy white cis dude. If I was straight I'd gently caress you but I'm not so I won't but boy are you extremely sexy in the most socially approved possible way" bit. So now there's an argument between 'we need more representation' and 'yea but THIS representation kinda sucks rear end soooo'.

And that's fine, that IS a convo we should have, there's very valid points on both sides, but as someone on the latter side I just keep going to 'yea but why do you want to settle for the most boring and lovely representation possible just because it has the most mass appeal?'

What I'm saying is make my Chris Pratt/Samuel L Jackson JP fanfic the next movie you cowards.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sam jackson died in the first movie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
B.D. Wong had a secret clone Samuel L Jackson, it's fine.

There are at least five 'hold on to your butt' jokes in my fanfic, if that helps, Universal. Call me.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the reaction rather than the movies themselves.

it's "if you're going to make consumption your politics why not pick the much better consumer product that deals with your politics better"?

But it's that thing where we're going 'This is the better feminist movie' that sits poorly with me. Feminism is hugely broad and subjective topic and in this case talking about these totally different movies as if one is just the objectively better Feminist blockbuster simplifies the whole thing to the point of absurdity.

In college we had a feminist book and film club that exposed me to a lot of more indie and art-house movies made by women with an explicitly feminist bent, in my opinion, frankly, both films pale against a lot of the much more explicit Feminist movies that are available out there, like when you watch something as nauseatingly transgressive as Baise-Moi and it's hard not to look at more mainstream hollywood feminist stuff like Ocean's 8 or whatever as just kind of cute.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was comparing action blockbusters. you're not gonna get deep dives there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was comparing action blockbusters. you're not gonna get deep dives there.

pretty much. I feel like some critics are used to "art house" type stuff that takes deep dives on very specific themes and subjects and then get annoyed when some movie/game/etc thats made for a more general/mass market audiance is either not trying to go for a political take because money and/or its not the focus or that it didn't go deep enough. its not bad, its just kinda eye rolling sometimes.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 24, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There’s some sort of irony about the insanely fat man who had to get invasive surgery to not die of insane fatness and his belief of taking things slowly lest the system gets shocked

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I stopped following Boogie after he went to NeoGAF to defend GamerGate, saying how it didn't matter that it was created by bigots and it was mostly composed by abusers because "we can win so much with ethical journalism guys". Then people found how he was also posting in 4Chan saying how GAF was full of "caref*gs" or something like that, called him on using slurs and having a completely different argument there and he had 2 immediate responses.

1) That's no slur, it means cigarette. Also even if it's a slur, it's not a slur in the context, that's just how the people there talk, so it's 100% ok.
2) If you don't stop being mean to me and start saying I'm right I will kill myself.

As someone who has struggled really hard with depression I just felt disgust at his psychological manipulation. And every time something about him appears in Twitter feed I can only think "Man, what a loving rear end in a top hat".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Adnor posted:

I stopped following Boogie after he went to NeoGAF to defend GamerGate, saying how it didn't matter that it was created by bigots and it was mostly composed by abusers because "we can win so much with ethical journalism guys". Then people found how he was also posting in 4Chan saying how GAF was full of "caref*gs" or something like that, called him on using slurs and having a completely different argument there and he had 2 immediate responses.

1) That's no slur, it means cigarette. Also even if it's a slur, it's not a slur in the context, that's just how the people there talk, so it's 100% ok.
2) If you don't stop being mean to me and start saying I'm right I will kill myself.

As someone who has struggled really hard with depression I just felt disgust at his psychological manipulation. And every time something about him appears in Twitter feed I can only think "Man, what a loving rear end in a top hat".

what a loving dipshit. i didnt hear about this story but it doesnt surprise me.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I mean, he didn't literally say "If you don't stop I will kill myself" but he basically said it. He said that all that discussion was destroying him and he wanted to die to stop looking at it. Multiple times.

He got banned as a "safety measure" so he would stop looking at the forum that was giving him so much grief.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t really know about movies being feminist or not—it’s more often the case that movies express ideas and values and feminism is a vocabulary and perspective we can use to discover and understand those ideas, though obviously a movie can express attitudes like “women are as interesting as men” and “women can talk to each other about things other than men” and lend itself to productive discussion.

But it’s more like movies have politics rather than that they do politics, and criticism is the mild doing of politics. Zack Snyder doesn’t promote a Riefenstahl-ish naturalized/aestheticized worship of masculine power like he’s trying to get you to like it (and might get angry at the suggestion), but you can sure as hell see it at work in his movies from the right point of view.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

business hammocks posted:

I don’t really know about movies being feminist or not—it’s more often the case that movies express ideas and values and feminism is a vocabulary and perspective we can use to discover and understand those ideas, though obviously a movie can express attitudes like “women are as interesting as men” and “women can talk to each other about things other than men” and lend itself to productive discussion.

But it’s more like movies have politics rather than that they do politics, and criticism is the mild doing of politics. Zack Snyder doesn’t promote a Riefenstahl-ish naturalized/aestheticized worship of masculine power like he’s trying to get you to like it (and might get angry at the suggestion), but you can sure as hell see it at work in his movies from the right point of view.

well that and he doesnt loving understand superman because he is an objectivist gently caress clown.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Boogie is trash, no more "His heart is in the right place!" apologia, please do remember that when the pissbeast limply looked in the direction of videogame violence, he had a whole fit over that.

If it was his life on the line, his safety or rights, even just his ability to be a reactionary fool, he wouldn't be farting out "WELL MAYBE 5 MORE YEARS?" platitudes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he should've called his channel boogie wonderland.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Boogie is trash, no more "His heart is in the right place!" apologia, please do remember that when the pissbeast limply looked in the direction of videogame violence, he had a whole fit over that.

If it was his life on the line, his safety or rights, even just his ability to be a reactionary fool, he wouldn't be farting out "WELL MAYBE 5 MORE YEARS?" platitudes.

Boogie is outspoken person on many subjects, ten degrees to the left of center in good times, 20 degrees to the right of center if it affects them personally.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The stretch in Fury Road from Immortan launching his fleet up to the sandstorm is something I rewatch often. (followed by the rest of the movie).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

There's a cosmic irony to the fact that "Boogie" is a slant homograph of "Bougie"...

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I will say that he has made some legit inspiring personal content that's helped people a lot - he can get credit for that. I think he should leave politics well alone for his sake more than anything.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Generally I feel like if your image isn't one of thoughtful punditry, you should probably stay away from any form of punditry. Give the people what they came for, and reserve the rest for your private life.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

I will say that he has made some legit inspiring personal content that's helped people a lot - he can get credit for that. I think he should leave politics well alone for his sake more than anything.

This. Just don’t loving talk about politics and focus on dumb nerd poo poo and personal growth talks.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. Just don’t loving talk about politics and focus on dumb nerd poo poo and personal growth talks.

That's all people want nowadays, and if your business is being a personality you have to get that market since they'll be more willing to give you money.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
What does Boogie even do on the internet? The only thing I've seen of him is a video of him opening toys while complaining that his ex-wife wouldn't have sex with him and that's why they divorced. Then a song came on that reminded him of her and he started crying. I thought it was a really poetic look at the average white male nerd in 2018.

Does he actually just make money by talking about how there's good people on both sides and we just need to be nice to bigots until they stop killing people? That's wild.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zedd posted:

The stretch in Fury Road from Immortan launching his fleet up to the sandstorm is something I rewatch often. (followed by the rest of the movie).

The rest of the movie is phenomenal (especially the Bullet Farmer scene) but that opening chase sequence is what solidifies Fury Road's WOW factor. It is just utterly insane and amazing.

BobbyK posted:

What does Boogie even do on the internet? The only thing I've seen of him is a video of him opening toys while complaining that his ex-wife wouldn't have sex with him and that's why they divorced. Then a song came on that reminded him of her and he started crying. I thought it was a really poetic look at the average white male nerd in 2018.

Does he actually just make money by talking about how there's good people on both sides and we just need to be nice to bigots until they stop killing people? That's wild.

He got big on youtube ages ago playing a stereotypical fat nerd screaming about internet stuff and acting like a bigoted jackass. This was around the same time that Freakout Kid, Freddie Wong and Nigahiga were large and everyone needed a "personality" on youtube. After that craze died down he sort of fell off the map until GG started and he is where he is now.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 24, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BobbyK posted:

He talks about the corruption of modern game comp- Actually before I finish that sentence please support the show by using my audible link in the description below. Audible is a website that contains the largest library of audio books online. This week's featured audio book is Fifty Shades of Gray. Use my promo link and you will be given a free month's subscription to Audible dot com!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It really is baffling.

I think it was around one of PewdiePie's blowups that some big critic tweeted out a "well I know you're all waiting on my response..." and then gave some dumb centrist "both sides" statement. Like just not saying anything wasn't an option.

I can't 100% pin down where the streamers I like stand politically (other than, doesn't seem like a chud) because they just don't loving talk about politics while they're screwing around in League or Battlegrounds or some party game with friends.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BobbyK posted:

He got his start as a generic screamy nerd when that was big and then he just was enough of 'a thing' to stay around after he got in that little incestuous cluster.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Insomnia1995/status/1010586703868911617

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

sexpig by night posted:

Yea the problem isn't the movies (very uncontroversial hot take: Lady Ghostbusters was fine, WW had a fascist lead and a deeply confused core ethos but was perfectly fine too) the problem is holding up the most absolute generic products possible as the icons.

For me that was the missing takeaway from Ghostbusters; plenty of male-led generic action comedies/reboots make mad bank at the box office and the world shrugs and says "that's Hollywood". For Ghostbusters the sexism isn't found in the "you must like this movie and declare it good or else you're a bad person", the sexism is found in the "this movie must best a classic comedy in every way or else it is trash and must not be seen by anyone". That movie got painted into a corner where crowds needed the nod of universal acclaim to see it, and critics tried, but ultimately it wasn't enough.

It was fine as a summer popcorn movie, but it wasn't allowed to be that; it had to be "important" so people feel the need to declare these movies the greatest of all time to justify a bar that should't be all that high in the first place.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

stillvisions posted:

For me that was the missing takeaway from Ghostbusters; plenty of male-led generic action comedies/reboots make mad bank at the box office and the world shrugs and says "that's Hollywood". For Ghostbusters the sexism isn't found in the "you must like this movie and declare it good or else you're a bad person", the sexism is found in the "this movie must best a classic comedy in every way or else it is trash and must not be seen by anyone". That movie got painted into a corner where crowds needed the nod of universal acclaim to see it, and critics tried, but ultimately it wasn't enough.

Counterpoint - Bridesmaids was extremely well received critically and commercially and certainly isn't a "classic comedy in every way"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ghostbusters was a very dumb thing to reboot. it was always going to be compared to one of the best comedies ever made. it had no chance.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

that was pretty good.

stillvisions posted:

It was fine as a summer popcorn movie, but it wasn't allowed to be that; it had to be "important" so people feel the need to declare these movies the greatest of all time to justify a bar that should't be all that high in the first place.

it had some funny moments but the director was poor fit for the movie. "just riff and then push it as long as possible, lol look jizz and queef/poo poo jokes." only works so many times. it sucks because i like the actresses in other stuff, but i have to agree with the plinket review on this one. it was just sony look for any kind thing to make a cinamatic universe. also ghost busters wasn't my childhood, the first one is funny but the second one is poo poo(honestly just as bad as the remake if not a little worse), nah my childhood died to the GI joe movie. also people went ape poo poo on james rolf calling him a nazi for saying he didnt want to see a dumb remake. gently caress that poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 24, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shaun's ghostbusters video is p good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcXszrAs5ik

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Serious question: what do any of these people who don’t perform analysis in videos or teach things do on youtube? I guess I’ve just never really watched one, but it sounds really unappealing to just watch some guy open-endedly extemporize into a video camera about his feelings toward pewdiepie being a racist or whatever.

It just seems like a waste of time to watch someone work out what they want to say as they’re saying it, and I don’t see why any given 30-something with a mic and shield in front of a shelf of toys or video games is worth listening to just because they’re talking. Is it just that people want to recreate the feeling of driving in a car with their dumb friend talking about He-Man?

You don’t have to edit in video or images, but write a script and sleep on it before revising and you could say a TON in like five minutes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Serious question: what do any of these people who don’t perform analysis in videos or teach things do on youtube? I guess I’ve just never really watched one, but it sounds really unappealing to just watch some guy open-endedly extemporize into a video camera about his feelings toward pewdiepie being a racist or whatever.

It just seems like a waste of time to watch someone work out what they want to say as they’re saying it, and I don’t see why any given 30-something with a mic and shield in front of a shelf of toys or video games is worth listening to just because they’re talking. Is it just that people want to recreate the feeling of driving in a car with their dumb friend talking about He-Man?

You don’t have to edit in video or images, but write a script and sleep on it before revising and you could say a TON in like five minutes.

they just talk, yea. Like, their product is 90% background noise for video game playing or something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

idk. I don't mind listening to stuff for back round noise but all of the chud poo poo is like 5 hours of bitching and high school debate type poo poo. on regular types like critics or Lets players. but its fun backround stuff.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I don’t know if they’re active any more, but I did used to enjoy Run Button, who were ostensibly playing through every sonic and every Mario game but were just funny guys who knew how to play off of each other doing bits. I would just have it on in the background like a podcast.

The thought of even a left version of Sargon chewing through the week’s events offering hours of hastily reasoned real-time hot takes makes me want to take a drill to my brain, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pretend for a moment you're a nerd who doesn't have any friends. You spend all your time posting on the internet about how video games were better when you were a kid and that women won't gently caress you. Suddenly a new phenomena appears on youtube! A bunch of weird nerds just like you get together and talk about their dicks, how little sex they're having and how bad video games are! Why, it's almost like having friends. And when you give them money, they say your name at the end of the video, it's just like being part of the conversation! If it's a streamer, you can even donate mid stream any time you want to hear a human voice speak your name for that warm, warm comfort of pretending you have someone in your life talking to you.

Seriously, though; almost everyone I've spoken to who gets super serious about the various "just talks jokes and plays video games" sort of personality online is usually very much the kind of person who had almost no friends outside of the internet, and inevitably couldn't stand to be part of more than a few communities because of the inevitable melt down over having to interact with someone that didn't share 100% of their view points on any given subject, particularly those involving minorities and women ruining video games forever. It's no surprise that most of these people turned out to be alt-right supporters to some degree, as did a huge chunk of their fanbase. The actual games involved were generally tertiary to just getting this weird insular cult of personality going around these youtube guys with a bunch of weirdos who all called them by their first name and seemed to think they really were best friends.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The only guy like that I have a subscription to is cr1tikal.

He seems alright. He's also not entirely stupid, just had a video explaining how the keto diet works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

I feel like trying to steer clear of politics and political discussion is difficult nowadays. Current events have a habit of trickling down into discussions of other things.