Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OK, no oede, no Psi-surge, no Deathstaff.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 47 ENDURANCE 19
Acolytes of Vashna: COMBAT SKILL 40 ENDURANCE 45
Combat Ratio: 7

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 47 ENDURANCE 18
Acolytes of Vashna: COMBAT SKILL 40 ENDURANCE 32

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 47 ENDURANCE 16
Acolytes of Vashna: COMBAT SKILL 40 ENDURANCE 22

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 47 ENDURANCE 16
Acolytes of Vashna: COMBAT SKILL 40 ENDURANCE 0

The Legacy of Vashna posted:

The few acolytes who survive the fight count themselves lucky and flee for their lives. ‘Fools!’ screams Cadak, at his routing acolytes. ‘Must I do everything myself!’

With these words he bangs the tip of his staff three times against the floor of the dais and a gout of crackling energy arcs through the rain-laden air towards you. Instinctively, you raise the Deathstaff and catch the arcing bolt on its haft. There is a flash of sparks; then the crackling energy flickers and disappears.

Cadak curses loudly and promises that you are about to die, but for all his bravado you sense that he is scared. He recognizes the Deathstaff for what it is and he fears that, in your hands, it could lay waste to all his meticulous plans. The aged druid looks to the stormy clouds and screams a command to the circling Vortexi to help him finish you once and for all.

Curing: +1 EP (17/39).

The howling phantoms come swirling out of the storm. They encircle the great shimmering arch in a long, unbroken chain, and then, one by one, they peel away to dive at the place where you are standing.

Your Kai instincts inform you that the Deathstaff possesses the power to repel these psychic phantoms, if you have the courage to use it. You also sense that there will inevitably be a price to pay if you use a weapon forged by the King of all Darkness.

Curing: +1 EP (18/39).
Shall we use the Deathstaff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
WOOPS this didn't post until way too late. Also: no deathstaff

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

:thunk: Yeah, let's not use the deathstaff.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Do not use death staff.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

That sounds like a dare! What’s the worst that can happen? USE THE DEATHSTAFF.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Our Mega-Sword is also quite useful at repelling phantoms. We don't need to use the Deathstaff.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
We need to save the deathstaff to destroy the dais or whatever we were supposed to do. Let's not waste it here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean, it says it right there in the text. There will be a price to pay.
Don't use the Deathstaff, idiot, but please post the text of what would happen if we had.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Alyss was an interesting character in the novels (much more than Quinefer, that's assured) but not in the gamebooks.

For our present confrontation: gulp the Oede, unleash the Psi-Surge and NO Deathstaff.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Guy Fawkes posted:

Alyss was an interesting characteran absurd manic pixie dream Mary Sue in the novels

Fixed that for you.

For our present confrontation: gulp the Oede, unleash the Psi-Surge and DEATHSTAFF AWAY.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lone Wolf knows that winners don't do Deathstaffs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You resist the urge to make use of the Deathstaff to ward off the approaching Vortexi horde. You would rather trust in your own goodly powers than use a weapon forged of evil.

Lashed by the wind and the rain, you steel yourself as the screaming phantoms come swooping down to attack.

Curing: +1 EP (19/39).

As the screaming Vortexi horde swoops down, you pray to Kai and Ishir to give you strength enough to defeat them.

Curing: +1 EP (20/39).

You raise the sun-sword and strike out with unerring accuracy as the first of the Vortexi engulf you.

Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 49 ENDURANCE 48

For possessing the Sommerswerd, restore 5 points to your ENDURANCE score. For every level of Kai rank you have attained above that of Kai Grand Guardian, you may add a further 2 to your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of this fight.
Lone Wolf (with Psi-surge): COMBAT SKILL 53 ENDURANCE 25
Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 49 ENDURANCE 48
Combat Ratio: 4

We roll: 4
Lone Wolf (with Psi-surge): COMBAT SKILL 53 ENDURANCE 22
Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 49 ENDURANCE 39

Lone Wolf (with Psi-surge): COMBAT SKILL 53 ENDURANCE 19
Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 49 ENDURANCE 28

Lone Wolf (with Psi-surge): COMBAT SKILL 53 ENDURANCE 18
Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 49 ENDURANCE 11

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf (with Psi-surge): COMBAT SKILL 53 ENDURANCE 14
Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 49 ENDURANCE 3

Lone Wolf (with Psi-surge): COMBAT SKILL 53 ENDURANCE 11
Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 49 ENDURANCE 0

You have destroyed the power of the Vortexi horde. They shrink and fade, and their faint, wispy remains are whipped up and dispersed by the winds of the raging storm. For a few moments there is a break in the roiling clouds and a few rays of sunlight burst through to bathe you in a warm, yellow glow. This warmth greatly invigorates your body and your mind: restore your ENDURANCE points score to its original level.

Endurance: 39/39.

Gradually, the clouds knit together and shut out the sun, and once again you are plunged into the teeth of the storm. You hear a low scream carried on the wind and turn to see Cadak, blazing with anger, come striding down from his crystal dais, wielding his staff like a fiery lance. He approaches to within twenty paces and bangs the butt down twice upon the rain-drenched earth. On the second strike, an umbrella of spectral light explodes overhead and falls to earth to encompass you both.

‘Nothing can stop the arrival of Shamath!’ screams Cadak, his eyes bright with madness. ‘You have delayed her, Lone Wolf, that is all. You have not stopped her. Soon she will set foot upon the soil of Magnamund and Lord Vashna will have his revenge!’

You scan the flickering walls of this rainbow-coloured prison of light, searching for a chink in its armour through which you can escape.

‘You will not escape this time!’ shouts Cadak, as if he has been reading your mind. ‘Not while I am alive!’

You draw the Sommerswerd from its scabbard and point it accusingly at the Arch Druid, expecting him to wither in the face of its goodly light. But the blade does not glow as radiantly as before: it is as if its powers are being subdued by Cadak’s spectral prison.

With loathing in your heart, you advance upon your despised enemy. He weaves his hands before his face and his image fades. He is using a spell of invisibility but it does not keep him entirely hidden: you can still see the outline of his staff and his body flickering as he moves against the background wall of light.

Arch Druid Cadak: COMBAT SKILL 50 ENDURANCE 35

Arch Druid Cadak is immune to Mindblast and Psi-surge, but he is vulnerable to Kai-surge and Kai-blast.
Lone Wolf (with alether): COMBAT SKILL 45 ENDURANCE 39
Arch Druid Cadak: COMBAT SKILL 50 ENDURANCE 35
Combat Ratio: -5

Lone Wolf (with alether): COMBAT SKILL 45 ENDURANCE 35
Arch Druid Cadak: COMBAT SKILL 50 ENDURANCE 29

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf (with alether): COMBAT SKILL 45 ENDURANCE 29
Arch Druid Cadak: COMBAT SKILL 50 ENDURANCE 29

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf (with alether): COMBAT SKILL 45 ENDURANCE 25
Arch Druid Cadak: COMBAT SKILL 50 ENDURANCE 24

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf (with alether): COMBAT SKILL 45 ENDURANCE 22
Arch Druid Cadak: COMBAT SKILL 50 ENDURANCE 17

Lone Wolf (with alether): COMBAT SKILL 45 ENDURANCE 22
Arch Druid Cadak: COMBAT SKILL 50 ENDURANCE 7

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf (with alether): COMBAT SKILL 45 ENDURANCE 16
Arch Druid Cadak: COMBAT SKILL 50 ENDURANCE 7

Lone Wolf (with alether): COMBAT SKILL 45 ENDURANCE 16
Arch Druid Cadak: COMBAT SKILL 50 ENDURANCE 0

As you strike your killing blow, Cadak shudders and crashes to the ground, clutching his staff tightly to his chest. He finds just enough strength to utter a dying curse; then, before your disbelieving eyes, his body slowly disintegrates. The skin is quickly criss-crossed by thousands of wrinkles, and the drying flesh falls from his skull, leaving it bare boned with a tattered layer of leathery skin stretched over it. Then, in the next instant his body collapses into naked bone. His staff breaks into chalky chunks and, finally, bone and staff blacken and fall away to dust.

Curing: +1 EP (17/39).

The umbrella of light quickly fades to leave you standing in a torrential rain-storm, close to the base of the crystal dais. Through the downpour, you can see that the acolytes are slowly returning. They are anxious for the safety of their leader and hungry for the successful summoning of their banished lord.

Despite the chill, you tighten your grip on the icy cold Deathstaff and climb the tiers to the top of the dais. You sense that the crystal dais commands the opening and closing of the Shadow Gate, and you know you must try to close the gate before Shamath appears. In frustration, you raise the Deathstaff and bring it crashing down upon the floor of the upper tier, but it does little damage. It could take forever to destroy the dais this way.

Then a wave of electrical energy crackles around the rim of the great arch and your blood runs cold, for you know that in a dim and distant cavern upon the Plane of Darkness, the Demoness Shamath has just stepped into a Shadow Gate. Her journey to Magnamund has begun!

Curing: +1 EP (18/39).

Galvanized into action by the fear of what will happen should the Demoness be allowed entry to this world, you cast your eyes and Kai senses across the symbols which are engraved upon the crystal surface of the uppermost tier. Then, in a sudden flash of inspiration, you realize that the symbols themselves are the key to the activation of the Shadow Gate.

You study the symbols and determine that a sequence must be completed in order for you to be able to close the Shadow Gate.

Curing: +1 EP (19/39).
What's the missing number?

If you use the Deathstaff against the vortexi you can either reduce the difficulty of the fight or bypass it entirely, depending on how lucky you are, which Disciplines you have and your current Endurance score. You do automatically take 2 or 3 damage for doing so, but you still get your Endurance restored to full immediately afterward anyway so it's only an issue if you're already super low.

I don't know that there are any visually impaired people reading this, but just in case: The image above shows a five by three grid of numbers. The first row reads 6, 4, 3, 8, 5. The second row is 2, 5, blank, 4, 9. The third row is 4, 3, 9, 8, 8.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

First two add up to 12, last two add up to 20. Split the difference for 16? So 4

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
It may not be correct but I’ll go with the sum of the first 3 numbers in each row is equal to the sum of the last 2 numbers in each row.

6 + 4 + 3 = 8 + 5
2 + 5 + x = 4 + 9
4 + 3 + 9 = 8 + 8

x =

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

nelson posted:

It may not be correct but I’ll go with the sum of the first 3 numbers in each row is equal to the sum of the last 2 numbers in each row.

6 + 4 + 3 = 8 + 5
2 + 5 + x = 4 + 9
4 + 3 + 9 = 8 + 8

x =

Makes sense, considering the numbers in the last two rows are uniformly higher than the rest (so it can't be some sort of magic polygon)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

nelson posted:

6 + 4 + 3 = 8 + 5
2 + 5 + x = 4 + 9
4 + 3 + 9 = 8 + 8

x =

I can't think of anything better than this, let's go with it

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

6 + 4 + 3 = 8 + 5
2 + 5 + x = 4 + 9
4 + 3 + 9 = 8 + 8

x =

That's the only answer I've been able to come up with, too.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
See guys! The Deathstaff was clearly the "completion of previous books not necessary to win" item for folks who don't have 15 books worth of magic swords and stat boosts to see them through. There was totally nothing to worry about!

Ugh, the puzzles were on another level in this book relative to previous installments. I remember this being the first book where I actually got them wrong. And no, I don't remember the correct solution.

nelson posted:

6 + 4 + 3 = 8 + 5
2 + 5 + x = 4 + 9
4 + 3 + 9 = 8 + 8

x =

makes as much sense as anything else.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

the sum of the first 3 numbers in each row is equal to the sum of the last 2 numbers in each row.

6 + 4 + 3 = 8 + 5
2 + 5 + x = 4 + 9
4 + 3 + 9 = 8 + 8

x = 6
Correct. This was a tricky one.

The instant you correctly complete the sequence, a deep hum resonates from inside the upper tier, and slowly it opens to reveal a hexagonal crystal plinth with a circular hole at its centre. Your Kai senses inform you that by inserting the tip of the Deathstaff into the hole, you will cause the Shadow Gate beneath the great arch to close.

Trembling with fear and exhilaration, you raise the Deathstaff above your head and bring it down with one mighty thrust, driving it deep into the hole.

Curing: +1 EP (20/39).

A shudder runs through the dais and fingers of green electrical fire shoot from the tip of the Deathstaff into the ground below. There is a moment of dreadful silence when even the storm and the rain abate; then the air shakes with a terrific implosion as the great shimmering arch collapses inwards and slowly disintegrates. Sparkling sheets of energy buckle and fuse as segments of the arch fall to the ground, crushing everything beneath, rock and man. For an instant you catch a glimpse of a huge booted foot stepping through a silvery sheet of energy and you tremble at the thought of what will happen next, for you recognize only too well to whom the foot belongs. But in the very next instant the keystone of the arch falls away and, with a grating cry of tortured rock, the whole edifice comes crashing to the ground.

Then, as if from nowhere, a raging whirlwind arises in mid-air, at the centre of where the arch stood. This whirling vortex quickly builds in power until it is sucking everything into its spinning black core. Screaming acolytes tumble past and disappear into its maw as you desperately hang on to the dais to stop yourself from being sucked to your doom.

Curing: +1 EP (21/39).
We roll: 3 + 2 (EP > 13) + 5 (Kai-alchemy) = 10.

Suddenly, the raging winds cease and you fall unconscious to the floor of the dais. When you awaken you discover that you are entirely alone. The collapse of the Shadow Gate and the whirlwind which followed have consumed everything, save yourself and the crystal dais: no acolytes, no trace of the grand archway, no Deathstaff, not even the storms remain. Virtually all trace of Cadak’s evil plan has been wiped from the surface of your world. (Erase the Deathstaff from your Action Chart.)

Congratulations, Grand Master Lone Wolf. You have triumphed. You have defeated the plan to resurrect Vashna and saved Magnamund from his rule of terror. But the fight against Evil is not yet over. The collapsing Shadow Gate destroyed everything it consumed … everything, that is, with one exception. That exception returns to haunt you in the next Grand Master adventure, entitled:

The Deathlord of Ixia

Curing: +1 EP (22/39).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Final Stats for Book 16
    Combat Skill: 47 (28)
    Endurance Points: 22/39 (38)

Kai/Magnakai/Grand Master Disciplines
  1. Grand Nexus
  2. Animal Mastery
  3. Telegnosis
  4. Kai-alchemy
  5. Grand Huntmastery
  6. Grand Pathsmanship
  7. Grand Weaponmastery (+5 CS w/ sword; +1 damage per round; +5 to bows)
    Weaponmastery (+4 CS w/ any other weapon; no unarmed penalty; +2 to non-bow missile attacks)
  8. Invisibility
  9. Psi-screen
  10. Curing (Regain 1 EP per section; if EP<7 then regain 20 EP - 100 day cooldown)
  11. Psi-surge (+6 CS & -1 EP/round - can't use if below 5 EP)
    Mindblast (+4 CS)

Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS; x2 damage vs. undead)
  2. Spear
    Belt Pouch (money):
  • 45 Gold Crowns
  • 20 Lune
    Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Lantern

3. Meal

4. Potion of Sabito (Water Breathing / 2 Doses)
  5. 28 Gold Crowns
  6. Potion of Oede (+10 EP)
    Special Items:
  1. Quiver (6/6 arrows)
  2. Jewelled Mace

3. Silver Bracers (+2 CS; +1 EP)
  4. Signet Ring
  5. Silver Rod
  6. Jadin Amulet (+1 RN to avoid missile attacks)
  7. Silver Bow of Duadon (+3 to RN)

8. Korlinium Scabbard
  9. Map of Mogaruith
  10. Scroll
  11. Black Amulet
  12. Platinum Amulet
    Notable Events:
  • Met a terrifying teenage girl
  • Destroyed the Dagger of Vashna
  • Stole the Deathstaff
  • Prevented the arrival of Shamath and the resurrection of Vashna

Missed Opportunities:
  • Never destroyed Helshezag

Notable Kills:
  • Arch Druid Cadak
    Storage:
    Weapons:
  • Dagger
    Special Items:

• Backpack Items:
  • Map of Tekaro
  • Lantern
  • Meal
  • Meal
  • Meal
  • Bottle of Wine
  • Iron Key
  • Copper Key
  • Two Brass Keys
  • Black Key
    Money:
  • 70 Gold Crowns
  • 130 Kika

Rules currently in effect:

Tiggum posted:

Use Psi-surge whenever the Combat Ratio is below 3.

nelson posted:

Use Alether whenever we are at negative CR and the enemy has more EP than us.

ShadowWraith posted:

Automatically use a Potion of Alether for any fight with a Combat Ratio -7 or worse.

Maugrim posted:

Use Laumspur as soon as possible after EP drops below 20

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

A standing order to always search bodies.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I quite like this book. It's quite linear (apart from one section) and Lone Wolf spends the whole thing basically just reacting to stuff instead of setting out to do anything in particular, but you finally get to kill Cadak, and Shamath is pretty cool too. Although I do have to wonder, if she's basically unstoppable once she gets to Magnamund, why does she need to bother resurrecting Vashna? What can he do that she can't?

Then there's Alyss. Remember Alyss? It's a song about Alyss. If I'd first read these books as an adult I'd probably have a very different opinion, but when I was six years old I thought Alyss was super cool and that's just how it is. Alyss is cool. :colbert:

I did notice this time though that that assassin at the start is really out of place. The acolytes really don't seem to be operating with the level of secrecy that would necessitate silencing any witnesses like that. And even if they were, that assassin is suspiciously capable and seems like he should be a way bigger deal. Especially as it turns out he's not even an acolyte of Vashna but an outside assassin they've hired, and part of a whole infamous organisation of assassins.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Deathlord of Ixia

The Deathlord of Ixia posted:

The Story So Far … 
You are Grand Master Lone Wolf, last of the Kai Lords of Sommerlund and sole survivor of a massacre that wiped out the First Order of your élite warrior caste.

It is the year MS 5077, twenty-seven years since your brave kinsmen perished at the hands of the Darklords of Helgedad. These champions of evil, who were sent forth by Naar, the King of the Darkness, to destroy the fertile world of Magnamund, have themselves since been destroyed. You vowed to avenge the murder of the Kai and you kept your pledge, for it was you who brought about their downfall when alone you infiltrated their foul domain—the Darklands—and caused the destruction of their leader and the seat of his power that was the infernal city of Helgedad.

In the wake of their destruction, chaos befell the Darkland armies who, until then, had been poised to conquer all of Magnamund. Some factions which were part of this huge army, most notably the barbaric Drakkarim, began to fight with the others for control. This disorder quickly escalated into an all-out civil war which allowed the Freeland armies of Magnamund time in which to recover and launch a counter-offensive. Their commanders exploited the chaos skilfully and secured a swift and total victory over an enemy far superior in numbers.

For seven years now peace has reigned in Sommerlund. Under your direction the once-ruined Monastery of the Kai has been thoroughly rebuilt and restored to its former glory, and the task of teaching a Second Order of Kai warriors the skills and proud traditions of your ancestors is also well established. The new generation of Kai recruits, all of whom were born during the era of war against the Darklords, possess latent Kai skills and show exceptional promise. These skills will be nurtured and honed to perfection during their time at the monastery so that they may teach and inspire future generations, thereby ensuring the continued security of your homeland in future years.

Your attainment of the rank of Kai Grand Master brought with it great rewards. Some, such as the restoration of the Kai and the undying gratitude of your fellow Sommlending, could have been anticipated. Yet there have also been rewards which you could not possibly have foreseen. The discovery that within you lay the potential to develop Kai Disciplines beyond those of the Magnakai, which, until now, were thought to be the ultimate that a Kai Master could aspire to, was truly a revelation. Your discovery has inspired you to set out upon a new and previously unknown path in search of the wisdom and power that no Kai Lord before you has ever possessed. In the name of your creator, the God Kai, and for the greater glory of Sommerlund and the Goddess Ishir, you have vowed to reach the very pinnacle of Kai perfection—to attain all of the Grand Master Disciplines and become the first Kai Supreme Master.

With diligence and determination you set about the restoration of the Kai Monastery and the training of the Second Order recruits. Your efforts were soon rewarded for within the space of two short years, the first raw recruits had graduated to become a cadre of gifted Kai Masters who, in turn, were able to commence the teaching of their skills to subsequent intakes of Kai novices. The Kai Masters rose to their newfound responsibilities readily, leaving you free to devote more of your time to the pursuit and perfection of the Grand Master Disciplines. During this period you also received expert tutelage in the ways of magic from two of your most trusted friends and advisors: Guildmaster Banedon, leader of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star, and Lord Rimoah, speaker for the High Council of the Elder Magi.

In the deepest subterranean level of the monastery, a hundred feet below the Tower of the Sun, you ordered the excavation and construction of a special vault. In this magnificent chamber wrought of granite and gold, you placed the seven Lorestones of Nyxator, the gems of Kai power which you had recovered during your quest for the Magnakai. It was here, bathed in the golden light of those radiant gems, that you spent countless hours in pursuit of perfection. Sometimes alone, sometimes in the company of your two able advisors—Banedon and Rimoah—you worked hard to develop your innate Grand Master Disciplines and grasp the fundamental secrets of Left-handed and Old Kingdom magic. During this time you noticed many remarkable changes taking place within your body: you became physically and mentally stronger, your five primary senses sharpened beyond all that you had experienced before, and, perhaps most remarkably, your body began to age at a much slower rate. Now, for every five years that elapse you age but one year.

At this time many changes were occurring beyond the borders of Sommerlund. In the regions to the northeast of Magador and the Maakengorge, the Elder Magi of Dessi and the Herbwardens of Bautar were working together in an effort to restore the dusty volcanic wasteland to its former fertile state. It was the first tentative step towards the reclamation of all the Darklands. However, their progress was painfully slow, and both parties were resigned to the fact that their efforts to undo the damage caused by the Darklords would take centuries to complete.

Elsewhere, throughout Northern Magnamund, peace reigns victorious and the peoples of the Free Kingdoms rejoice in the knowledge that the age of the Darklords has finally come to an end. Readily men have exchanged their swords for hoes and their shields for ploughs, and now the only marching they do is along the ruts of their freshly furrowed fields. Few are the watchful eyes that scan the distant horizon in fear of what may appear, although there are still those who maintain their vigilance, for the agents of Naar come in many guises and there are those upon Magnamund who wait quietly in the shadows for the chance to do his evil bidding.

Already your newfound skills have been tested against Naar’s agents and you have, on each occasion, acquitted yourself admirably. But your continuing victories against his minions have enraged the Dark God and inflamed his lust for vengeance. Earlier this year you thwarted Naar’s plans to revive Vashna, the greatest of all the Darklords, whose spirit is trapped deep within the fathomless reaches of the Maakengorge—the Chasm of Doom. Vashna’s spirit has remained there in uneasy entombment ever since the day, long ago, when he and his army were defeated in battle by King Ulnar I of Sommerlund. Your brave and courageous actions prevented Naar’s agents from summoning to Magnamund a Demoness named Shamath from the Plane of Darkness. This supernatural creature possessed the Deathstaff—an artefact of great evil forged by Naar himself—with which she could have resurrected Vashna and his army from the Maakengorge. Yet your timely intervention destroyed the Shadow Gate through which she was travelling, and by so doing, you imprisoned the Demoness Shamath in the limbo which exists between your world and the Plane of Darkness.

Confident in the belief that you had saved Magnamund from the Demoness and the Deathstaff, you returned triumphantly to Sommerlund. Several months later, however, as the year was drawing to a close, Lord Rimoah came unexpectedly to the Kai Monastery seeking an urgent audience. With growing dismay you listened as he relayed ill news—the Deathstaff had reappeared in Magnamund. The threat to the peace of your fragile world was greater now than ever before.

‘When you destroyed the Shadow Gate at Maakengorge, Grand Master,’ said Lord Rimoah, as the two of you discussed the matter in the secure privacy of your vault below the Kai Monastery, ‘you banished Shamath to the void, hopefully for all eternity. Yet, alas, the weapon she possessed did not go with her. Naar’s accursed Deathstaff has since returned to this world through another Shadow Gate, one that lies far away to the west, on a remote and icy peninsula that is called Ixia.’

‘My lord, do you wish me to go to Ixia—to find and destroy the Deathstaff before another of Naar’s agents can use it against us? Is this why you have come seeking my help?’ you replied, expecting Rimoah to affirm your assumption.

‘Partly so, my lord,’ he said, holding you with his steel-grey eyes, ‘but I fear that already it has fallen into the hands of an enemy—and one who is deadlier than even the Demoness Shamath. What do you know of the Deathlord of Ixia?’

You faintly remembered having heard this name before but were unable to recall any detail. Lord Rimoah, seeing that you were unable to give an answer, obliged with an impromptu history lesson:

‘The Deathlord of Ixia was once lieutenant to Agarash the Damned—the most powerful of all Naar’s champions of evil,’ said Rimoah, his head bowed as he paced the granite floor of your vault. ‘During the Age of Eternal Night he conquered much of Northern Magnamund, including the realm of Ixia which was once a rich and very fertile land. He destroyed the native Ixians, transforming them into a legion of undead servants under his command. Many centuries later, when my ancestors defeated Agarash during the Age of War, they magically imprisoned the weakened Deathlord in a secret tomb within the dread city of Xaagon, near to the southern coast of Ixia. For thousands of years his tomb lay undisturbed until the first of the Drakkarim appeared on Magnamund. They entered Xaagon and found the Deathlord’s tomb—yet legend has it that none of them escaped Ixia alive. Perhaps they, too, serve him now. During the Age of the Black Moon, the Darklords conquered all of the territories surrounding Ixia yet they chose to avoid setting foot in the Deathlord’s realm. Mindful of his origins, they feared that if he were released from his sorcerous prison he would seek to dominate and destroy them.’

‘My lord, are you telling me that the Deathlord of Ixia is now free of this prison and in possession of the Deathstaff?’ you asked, fearing Lord Rimoah’s reply.

‘Yes, Grand Master. I’m afraid that is exactly the situation which confronts us. Since the passing of the last moon, I and others of the High Council of the Elder Magi have detected a great imbalance between the forces of Good and Evil in our world. By ill chance or by Naar’s design, the Deathstaff has fallen into the hands of Ixiataaga. Once again the Deathlord is free to indulge his unholy and insatiable appetite for living beings. Already we have heard reports from Lencian fishermen which tell of the destruction of remote Drakkarim settlements around the Gulf of Konkor, and there are even claims of a “death fleet” having been sighted in the waters of the Shakoz Bight. Yes, Grand Master, the Deathlord is free to roam the face of Magnamund once more, and I fear he will not stop until every living creature is enslaved to him in undeath.’

For hours, you and your trusted advisor deliberated over what could be done to prevent this unspeakable disaster from befalling Magnamund. You considered a muster of the Freeland armies and an immediate attack upon Ixia, but such a plan simply could not be executed. The peninsula of Ixia is far too remote and desolate a territory to be reached by any Freeland army on foot, and, with winter already so far advanced, any ship-borne invasion would be doomed to fail. Time was also against you. The Deathlord had to be stopped as quickly as possible before he could unleash an army of undead upon Magnamund, an unkillable army that would grow larger with every battle it fought against the living.

‘Only I can stop this,’ you said, voicing your thoughts.

‘Yes, Grand Master. Only you,’ replied Rimoah quietly.

After a few moments’ silence, Rimoah continued, ‘In expectation of your decision, preparations have already been made for your journey, Grand Master. I trust this doesn’t offend you?’

You smiled your consent.

‘Good. Then I shall call upon Guildmaster Banedon—he knows of the Deathlord’s rise and he has offered his ship Skyrider to hasten your journey westwards. He will tell you more about Ixia and how you will be conveyed there. Godspeed, Grand Master. I shall pray to Kai and Ishir to watch over you on this fateful mission.’

OK, equipment! A map of Ixia, 27 Gold Crowns and any any four of the following:
  • Broadsword
  • Bow
  • Quiver (six arrows)
  • Dagger
  • Sword
  • 2 Meals
  • Rope
  • Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  • Axe
Improved Disciplines:

Animal Mastery: Make animals sleep.
Grand Huntmastery: Protection from electricity.
Grand Pathsmanship: Freeze or melt water by touching it.
Kai-alchemy: Kai-alchemy: Two new spells; Slow Fall and Breathe Water.

Deliverance: Exorcise evil forces.
Kai-screen: Create a "Mindfort" to give yourself even more psychic protection.

We have yet to acquire the Disciplines of Deliverance (Advanced Curing), Assimilance (Advanced Invisibility), Kai-surge, Kai-screen and Magi-magic.

And of course we get +1 CS and + 2 EP for finishing the previous book brings us to
Combat Skill: 48 (29)
Endurance Points: 41/41 (40)

So, as usual, we need votes for
  1. Our next Grand Master Discipline
  2. A new weapon type for Grand Weaponmastery (spear, dagger, mace, short sword, warhammer, quarterstaff, broadsword or axe)
  3. A rule for Kai-blast (if we choose Kai-surge)
  4. Items to put into storage
  5. Items to take from storage
  6. Any new equipment

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

In my opinion, it is complete bullshit that the Deathstaff only damages you for 2/3 points, whereas the much less vaunted Helshezag drains you of two Endurance permanently every round.

That may be because I would have liked to have a reason to use any weapon other than the Sommerswerd.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Let's go with... Assimilance this time.

Grab potion, stash sabito because WE BE WIZARDS

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I will admit I partially based a fanfic character on Alyss in my youth, but it was her look way more than her personality. And now that I think about it, yeah, the assassin is out of place. And I can't recall if he and his organization ever come up again either. :(

New Discipline- Kai-screen. Lone Wolf is notorious for psychic undead and I bet this book is no exception.

New Weapon to Master- Quarter Staff. If the Deathstaff is coming back and we get the chance to wield it again, we might as well get some bonuses.

Top off our Arrows, grab the Laumspur and Meals.

Stash the Sabito.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Tallgeese posted:

In my opinion, it is complete bullshit that the Deathstaff only damages you for 2/3 points, whereas the much less vaunted Helshezag drains you of two Endurance permanently every round.

That may be because I would have liked to have a reason to use any weapon other than the Sommerswerd.

On that note.

The moment you pick up the Deathstaff, there's actually a check for Helshezag. If you happen to have brought it this book, the Deathstaff dings you for 5 EN and destroys Helshezag. All Darklord weapons must go, it seems, since the Dagger met its end here too.

Materant fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 24, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

New Weapon to Master- Quarter Staff. If the Deathstaff is coming back and we get the chance to wield it again, we might as well get some bonuses.
The Project Aon footnotes suggest that Weaponmastery bonuses with the Deathstaff may apply for either Quarterstaff or Spear mastery, or may not apply at all. Should the issue come up, I'm choosing to say it counts as both a Quarterstaff and a Spear and say Weaponmastery does apply.

Project Aon posted:

The Deathstaff is not one of the classes of Weapons that Kai Lords receive training in, and as such Weaponmastery or Grand Weaponmastery bonuses may not be available for it. Alternatively, you may decide that you can add the Grand Weaponmastery COMBAT SKILL bonus if you possess Grand Weaponmastery in Quarterstaff or Spear

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 24, 2018

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
  1. Our next Grand Master Discipline - Kai-Surge
  2. A new weapon type for Grand Weaponmastery - Mace
  3. A rule for Kai-blast - Use it at -5 CR or below, if we have more than 12 EP
  4. Items to put into storage - Any coins that don't fit in our beltpouch
  5. Items to take from storage - None
  6. Any new equipment - Potion of Laumspur and both meals

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Deathlord of Ixia!

Oh you guys are going to just love this one

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Perky posted:

Deathlord of Ixia!

Oh you guys are going to just love this one

No, this is where we have to cheat to get past practically every fight because the book is essentially impossible if you don't.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

New Discipline- Kai-screen. Lone Wolf is notorious for psychic undead and I bet this book is no exception.
Stash the Sabito.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

achtungnight posted:

Stash the Sabito.

Pretty much this.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Drakkarim just can't catch a break, can they?

achtungnight posted:

Top off our Arrows, grab the Laumspur and Meals, switch in Kika for Crowns.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 25, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

No, this is where we have to cheat to get past practically every fight because the book is essentially impossible if you don't.

oh, so it wasn't just me. i still haven't managed to beat this one.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

achtungnight posted:

Stash the Sabito.

This is a solid plan.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Tiggum posted:

So, as usual, we need votes for
  1. Our next Grand Master Discipline
  2. A new weapon type for Grand Weaponmastery (spear, dagger, mace, short sword, warhammer, quarterstaff, broadsword or axe)
  3. A rule for Kai-blast (if we choose Kai-surge)
  4. Items to put into storage
  5. Items to take from storage
  6. Any new equipment

1. Kai-Screen
  2. Mace
  3. ...
  4. Signet Ring, Silver Rod
  5. 130 Kika(we are going in the only area where this kind of coin has value)
  6. Laumspur, Meals and Arrows

The problem is that, once removed the Darklord Dever had to create new enemies. The Archdruid had been an interesting adversary, but he wasn't Gnaag. So now it appears this Deathlord, of which we hadn't heard anything before, but so feared that even the Darklord avoided him.

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 24, 2018

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Guy Fawkes posted:

1. Kai-Screen
  2. Mace
  3. ...
  4. Signet Ring, Silver Rod
  5. 130 Kika(we are going in the only area where this kind of coin has value)
  6. Laumspur, Meals and Arrows

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

Leraika posted:

Grab potion

nelson posted:

Items to put into storage - Any coins that don't fit in our beltpouch

Guy Fawkes posted:

130 Kika (we are going in the only area where this kind of coin has value)

Action Chart
    Combat Skill: 48 (29)
    Endurance Points: 41/41 (40)

Kai/Magnakai/Grand Master Disciplines
  1. Grand Nexus
  2. Animal Mastery
  3. Telegnosis
  4. Kai-alchemy
  5. Grand Huntmastery
  6. Grand Pathsmanship
  7. Grand Weaponmastery (+5 CS w/ swords & quarterstaves; +1 damage per round; +5 to bows)
    Weaponmastery (+4 CS w/ any other weapon; no unarmed penalty; +2 to non-bow missile attacks)
  8. Kai-screen
  9. Invisibility
  10. Curing (Regain 1 EP per section; if EP<7 then regain 20 EP - 100 day cooldown)
  11. Psi-surge (+6 CS & -1 EP/round - can't use if below 5 EP)
    Mindblast (+4 CS)

Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS; x2 damage vs. undead)
  2. Spear
    Belt Pouch (money):
  • 32 Gold Crowns
  • 20 Lune
  • 130 Kika
    Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Lantern

3. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  4. Meal

5. Potion of Sabito (Water Breathing / 2 Doses)

6. Potion of Oede (+10 EP)
    Special Items:
  1. Quiver (6/6 arrows)
  2. Jewelled Mace

3. Silver Bracers (+2 CS; +1 EP)
  4. Signet Ring
  5. Silver Rod
  6. Jadin Amulet (+1 RN to avoid missile attacks)
  7. Silver Bow of Duadon (+3 to RN)

8. Korlinium Scabbard
  9. Map of Mogaruith
  10. Scroll
  11. Black Amulet
  12. Platinum Amulet

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Deathlord of Ixia posted:

Lord Rimoah removes a sphere of crystal from a pocket of his robe and holds it up to the lantern light. It is filled with a swirling grey mist. Softly he murmurs the words of an ancient spell and the mist clears to reveal the anxious face of your friend—Guildmaster Banedon. Rimoah speaks briefly to Banedon’s image, requesting that he come to the Monastery at once.

I will be with you within the hour, says the voice of Banedon, a whisper in your mind.

Your friend is in Toran, sixty miles to the north, yet he holds true to his word. In less than an hour he arrives at the Monastery aboard Skyrider—his sleek flying ship. Two excited young Kai Aspirants bring word of his arrival to the vault and you respond by making your way swiftly to the surface. Banedon’s Skyrider is hovering above the training park, the hum of its magical engine amplified by the surrounding walls and battlements. It is dusk on this wintry evening and a shower of feathery snow is illuminated by the craft’s lanterns. A rope ladder hangs from the bow rail to the frost-hardened earth.

‘Go aboard, Grand Master,’ urges Rimoah. ‘Banedon will advise you and provide you with what you’ll be needing. I shall stay here and pray for your safe return.’

You bid a hasty farewell to your mentor before climbing the dangling rope ladder with the legendary speed and grace that sets you apart from lesser warriors. Banedon is waiting as you haul yourself aboard. He greets you with a glad smile, yet his face cannot hide his deep concern for what may await you in Ixia. You wave a final farewell to Lord Rimoah; then you retreat to the warmth of Banedon’s cabin as the Skyrider glides over the Monastery’s southern wall and ascends into the leaden sky.

Your friend Banedon has already set a course for Vadera, the principal city of Lencia, a destination which is more than a full day’s flight west of Sommerlund. Were this not the first stage of a longer voyage to Ixia you would gladly welcome the chance to visit Vadera, for you have many friends there in the court of King Sarnac of Lencia.

During the flight, Banedon details the plans which have been made on your behalf. King Sarnac himself has promised his help; he will provide you with a boat and a pilot to sail you from Vadera to Azgad Island, a desolate Lencian outpost in the Tozaz Sea. On your arrival there you will be transferred to a Lencian ice-boat, a craft specially built to withstand the power of the treacherous pack-ice which clings to the Ixian shoreline at this time of the year.

‘The ice-boat will land you on the coast of Ixia, Lone Wolf,’ says Banedon, ‘and then it will wait at anchor for you to return upon the completion of your mission.’

‘How long will the ice-boat wait for me?’ you ask, apprehensively.

‘If you do not return within seven days, the pilot has orders to set sail for Vadera without you. The Tozaz in winter is a cruel and terrible sea—no ordinary man could hope to survive there for much longer than a week, no matter how strong his ship or plentiful his supplies. Which reminds me—if you are to survive your visit to Deathlord Ixiataaga’s frigid realm, you will be needing some special protection.’

Banedon reaches for a small wooden box which lies half-buried on a shelf, amongst a clutter of scrolls and charts. As he does so, he is momentarily distracted by the Platinum Amulet which you wear on a cord around your neck. You notice the suddenly inquisitive look in his eye.

‘How did you come by that?’ he asks, as he stares fixedly at the amulet.

‘It was given to me by Gwynian—the Sage of Varetta. I’m sure its powers kept me safe from the perils of the Maakengorge. Tell me, my friend, have you heard of this sage?’

‘Oh yes,’ replies Banedon, thoughtfully, ‘I know Gwynian. If the amulet you wear was given to you by him then, perhaps, you do not need the special protection I had in mind after all.’

Banedon takes the small wooden box and hands it to you. Upon opening it you discover it contains a platinum amulet, almost identical to the one you are already wearing.

‘I see what you mean,’ you say, as you close the lid and return the box to Banedon.

Banedon tosses the box back onto the cluttered shelf and continues with his briefing. Having satisfied himself that you have adequate protection, he turns his attention to your weapons.

‘It concerns me greatly that so little is known of Xaagon—the Deathlord’s city. There is no way of knowing what unholy breed of creature awaits you there. It seems that you can be confident of only one thing, Lone Wolf: whoever or whatever inhabits that dreadful place will surely be hostile to your presence. If you are to defeat the Deathlord of Ixia and his minions, you will need a weapon of exceptional power—a weapon capable of destroying that which is already dead.’

‘You need have no fear, Banedon,’ you reply, unsheathing the sun-sword, ‘for you know that I possess such a weapon—the Sommerswerd.’

Banedon stares at the shimmering golden blade and calmly nods his head. ‘Yes, Grand Master. Your divine sword is ideally crafted for the task, but you must use it with discretion. Unsheathed, the Sommerswerd radiates a powerful aura of goodness—in the darkness of Ixia, such power would be like a blazing beacon. It could readily alert the Deathlord to your presence.’

You show Banedon your Korlinium Scabbard and tell him how you came by it. The seemingly plain belt and scabbard were given to you several years ago by Lord Rimoah, for a similar purpose—to conceal the power of the Sommerswerd from the Darklords of Helgedad.

‘I trust it will serve you just as well in Ixia,’ says Banedon, nodding his approval.

It is in the thirtieth hour of your air voyage that the Skyrider’s eagle-eyed lookout catches his first glimpse of Vadera. Word spreads quickly and a hubbub of excitement grips the dwarven crew as the flying ship draws ever closer to the fortified walls and turrets of the great northern Lencian port.

Skilfully Bo’sun Nolrim lands the Skyrider on the paved courtyard in front of the Vadera Citadel, which has been cleared of crowds in expectation of your arrival. Awaiting you is a party of stern-faced Vadera officials who, with a minimum of fuss, escort you and Banedon directly to the court of King Sarnac.

‘We are honoured to welcome you once again to our city, Grand Master,’ says the silver-haired King. ‘My only regret is the reason for your visit. I’d have hoped our meeting would have been in less ominous circumstances.’

Formally you acknowledge the King’s greeting; then you turn to face the elderly man who is standing beside the King’s throne. You recognized him as soon as you entered the King’s chamber—he is Lord Ardan, an Elder Magi from Dessi, one of Lord Rimoah’s countrymen.

‘Well met, my lord,’ you say, and Ardan returns your greeting with a smile. Sadly, his smile soon fades when he says: ‘No doubt your able companion, Guildmaster Banedon, has told you of the rise of evil in Ixia. Dire news indeed, Grand Master, for it threatens our very existence, most especially the existence of our Lencian friends. If the Deathlord’s power is allowed to grow unchecked, Lencia will be the first Freeland state to suffer his wrath.’

‘I pledge to do all in my power to prevent such an outcome, my lord,’ you reply earnestly.

‘We have every faith in you, Lone Wolf,’ says King Sarnac, ‘and we shall help you accomplish your mission in whatever way we can.’ He signals to one of his silver-armoured bodyguards and the soldier leaves the chamber. He returns shortly in the company of another man, clad in the court uniform of a Guard Captain.

You recognize the officer at once—it is your friend and former guide, Captain Prarg.

‘We meet again, Captain,’ you say, as you shake his hand gladly in friendship.

‘Aye, Grand Master. It is an honour to serve you once more.’

King Sarnac dismisses his guardsmen before ushering you, Banedon, Lord Ardan, and Captain Prarg, into an adjoining antechamber. An oaken table commands the centre of this opulent room, upon which is spread a detailed map of northwestern Magnamund.

‘In response to Lord Ardan’s request, I have made provision for your journey to Ixia, Grand Master,’ says the King, as the five of you gather around the map table. ‘As we speak, a man-o’-war is standing by in Vadera harbour, awaiting my order to set sail. Captain Prarg will accompany you during the first part of your sea voyage to our outpost, which is here on Azgad Island.’ King Sarnac points to the map, indicating a remote island near to the Gulf of Konkor.

‘The garrison on Azgad Island is commanded by Captain Lanza. Word has been sent of your coming, and Lanza has a crew and an ice-boat ready to place at your disposal. They will transport you across the stormy Tozaz Sea and land you on the southern coast of Ixia. From there you must make your way on foot to the city of Xaagon, where you will find the Deathlord and his accursed weapon—the Deathstaff.’

You study the map and, with growing dismay, you appreciate the difficult voyage which lies ahead. ‘Very well, sire,’ you reply. ‘I understand how I am to reach Ixia in order to find and defeat the Deathlord, but can you tell me how I am to return once my mission has been accomplished?’

Having heard your question, King Sarnac turns to Ardan and says: ‘My lord, perhaps you could say something to allay Grand Master Lone Wolf’s fears?’

‘Certainly, sire,’ replies Lord Ardan, turning to address you.

‘My lord, as Guildmaster Banedon may already have told you, the coast of Ixia is a hellish place. The ice-boat will be able to anchor in this region for seven days at most. If you do not return within this time, it will be forced to go back to Azgad Island. But do not let this cause you undue concern, my lord. At present there is a great imbalance between the forces of Good and Evil in our world, yet upon the instant that you defeat the Deathlord and destroy his staff of power, this balance will surely be resumed. I, like my kinsman Lord Rimoah, will know the moment that the balance has been righted. If your quest takes longer than one week to accomplish, the ice-boat will be sent out once more to collect you from Xaagon.’

With your briefing now concluded, King Sarnac ushers you all into his court chamber. There you bid him, Lord Ardan, and Guildmaster Banedon farewell, and they in turn wish you good luck and godspeed before Captain Prarg escorts you to the harbour. It is snowing heavily, and few of Vadera’s inhabitants notice as the two of you are welcomed aboard the Maycastle, the square-rigged man-o’-war which will carry you to Azgad Island.

You leave Vadera within the hour and begin the long, cold voyage northwards. During the voyage, Captain Prarg tells you about the raids which have destroyed several small Drakkarim settlements along the Gulf of Konkor and the coast of the Shakoz Bight. On the twelfth day of your two-week sea journey, you catch a glimpse of one such settlement, near to the mouth of the River Lenag. All that remains is a wispy pall of smoke which hangs above the burnt-out hovels, darkening an already stormy sky.

For most of the voyage, a host of seabirds have accompanied the Maycastle, attracted by the scraps of food regularly thrown out by the ship’s galley. But at dawn on the thirteenth day, as the ship enters the Gulf of Konkor, the usual flocks of shrieking gulls are nowhere to be seen. It is as if they have suddenly become aware of impending danger and have turned back, eager to stay out of harm’s reach. Later in the day, a fierce squall arises from the east which whips the iron-grey waters of the gulf into a maelstrom. The crew fight desperately to control their ship as the storm rages all day and all night, not abating until dawn of the following day. As the wind gradually dies and the sea settles, the lookout is able to resume his post atop the mainmast.

‘Land ahoy!’ he cries, and all eyes scan the northern vista. There, perched on the wintry horizon, is a grey strip of barren, frost-covered rock. You magnify your vision and see, on the western side of this island, a few slate buildings clustered around a fortified stone tower.

‘That’s Fort Azgad,’ says Captain Prarg, with relief in his voice. ‘At last we’ve arrived.’

As the Maycastle cuts through the icy waves towards the fort, a beacon flares into life, its guttering yellow flame marking the entrance to the outpost’s slate-walled harbour. A Lencian flag is raised atop the watchtower and the crew give a cheer—for them it is a welcoming sight after two cold and difficult weeks at sea.

The Maycastle docks at the harbour wall, alongside the iron-bowed ice-boat which will take you to Ixia. The excited garrison have gathered to greet the crew; they have been looking forward to receiving fresh provisions and news from their homeland for several weeks. You disembark with Prarg and are met on the quay by a bearded sergeant clad in a fur-trimmed leather tunic. He escorts you to the watchtower, where you are welcomed in person by Captain Lanza, the garrison commander.

Lanza is a stocky, hard-nosed soldier whose leathery, frost-bitten face bears living testimony to the five years he has spent as commander of this bleak, godforsaken outpost. His posting here had been his punishment for a drunken brawl in a Vadera tavern in which he had killed, albeit in self-defence, the brutish elder son of Haglar, the mayor of the city. At his court-martial he had been allowed to choose his fate—command of the notorious Azgad Island garrison, or death by hanging. Lanza readily admits that there have been times when he has felt that he made the wrong choice.

Lanza’s private quarters comprise a sparsely-furnished chamber near the top of the watchtower. You warm yourself in front of an open grate and listen as he and Prarg discuss your onward passage to Ixia aboard the garrison’s ice-boat. At length, Lanza voices his fears about recent sightings at sea—strange craft which sail beneath the waves and ships crewed by the living dead. As you listen to his chilling account, you look out through the chamber’s slit window at an icy mist which is creeping in from the north. It swirls knee-deep around the watchtower and the harbour wall.

Drawing on your Grand Huntmastery, you focus on the encroaching mist and detect strange movements in the ultraviolet spectrum of light. You cannot discern exactly what is moving out there, but you are certain of one thing: it is evil and it is drawing ever closer to Fort Azgad.

You warn Captain Lanza and at first he does not believe you. He chuckles, saying that it is not uncommon for new arrivals to imagine they have seen all manner of spectres in the sea mists which swirl around the fort. But then a loud, discordant bell rings out from above, and Lanza’s face is transfixed with shock.

‘By the gods!’ he splutters. ‘It’s the alarm bell—we’re under attack!’

From out of the eerie mist there looms a high-prowed ship, wrought of age-blackened timbers which glisten with ice and frost. It speeds into the harbour and a morbid terror grips the hearts of the Lencian garrison when they see that it is crewed by a cadaverous host of skeletal warriors. A ghastly wail arises from the invading ship, an unholy shriek that shatters the garrison’s will to resist. As one, the shocked Lencians turn and flee from the quayside, dropping and discarding their supplies and weapons in their hurry to get away.

‘Ishir preserve us!’ cries Lanza, as he takes up his sword belt and hurries towards the door. ‘My men are routing. I must rally them to the defence before all is lost!’

Prarg unsheathes his sword and rushes after Lanza. Outside the door you see a circular stone staircase which leads up to the roof, or down to the base of the watchtower. Lanza descends the stairs but Prarg does not follow. Instead, he begins to climb the steps to the roof.
Do we follow Lanza down or follow Prarg up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Prarg is our Bro.