Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Goddamn Luke Cage S2 was good. I'm still kinda processing since it just finished but I'm eager to see what comes next.

Also I'm missing some Marvel Netflix poo poo since I thought Luke Cage was far better than all the rest. It didn't mess with context too much, though I was pretty confused when I first saw Misty. I never watched Iron Fist, Punisher, Jessica Jones 2, or The Defenders. Are any of these things that I absolutely have to see/can safely skip?

vvv: Oh sure, I don't necessarily mean in a Luke Cage context, I just mean what's good/not so good in general. E.g. I heard Iron Fist isn't.. super great, so I haven't bothered with it.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Meldonox posted:

Goddamn Luke Cage S2 was good. I'm still kinda processing since it just finished but I'm eager to see what comes next.

Also I'm missing some Marvel Netflix poo poo since I thought Luke Cage was far better than all the rest. It didn't mess with context too much, though I was pretty confused when I first saw Misty. I never watched Iron Fist, Punisher, Jessica Jones 2, or The Defenders. Are any of these things that I absolutely have to see/can safely skip?

Punisher is really good, but completely unrelated to Luke Cage.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm 5 episodes in and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. I definitely think it's a step up from the first season, and although Mike Colter has not gotten any better at acting (seriously he still comes off as a total amateur whenever he's interacting with literally any other actor on the show - I nearly died at the "make it sweet, Sugar, or I'll be bitter" line in the first episode), they're at least taking the character in a more interesting direction.

Misty Knight is carrying the show once again, and Bushmaster is a lot of fun even if there's not much depth to him yet.

Special shout out to the husky gentleman playing "The Thrill is Gone" and "I Put a Spell on You" in episode 4. drat that dude is talented. If anyone knows who he is, please post it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

"I thought they called you Big Ben"
:vince:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
"Patty cake" owned.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Hakkesshu posted:

although Mike Colter has not gotten any better at acting (seriously he still comes off as a total amateur whenever he's interacting with literally any other actor on the show - I nearly died at the "make it sweet, Sugar, or I'll be bitter" line in the first episode)

Maybe I'm being too charitable, but I tend to think of all these hero types as being corny boy scouts so it generally didn't register for me.

You're absolutely right about that dude doing the music though, he's fantastic.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Hakkesshu posted:

Special shout out to the husky gentleman playing "The Thrill is Gone" and "I Put a Spell on You" in episode 4. drat that dude is talented. If anyone knows who he is, please post it.

Christone “Kingfish” Ingram, and the lad is only 18 years old. Good article listing all the artists here: https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2018-06-22/luke-cage-season-2-soundtrack-music-acts-artists-netflix/

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

in episode 6 Luke actually saying "Where's my money honey?" made my night.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Aaah! Episode 3, the bar scene: Mr. Fish!!!!!

Not sure if that character is exactly a spoiler, but I got unreasonably excited.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha what the gently caress was the immolation scene in episode 10. Did the budget run out or something? Terrible CGI, terrible direction and absolutely absurdly mismatched sound.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Six episodes in and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. And goddamn, I'd forgotten how much I love the way this series uses music, the soundtrack is basically another member of the cast.

Meldonox posted:

Colleen Wing, the Asian lady Misty was sparring with for a while (and who later hooked her up with her new arm was introduced in Iron Fist and figured heavily in The Defenders. The thing with Misty happened toward the end of Defenders (as did the stuff they occasionally mention about "what went down under Midland Circle" and "what Matt Murdock did for the city". Also the scene explaining why Luke isn't in jail any more after the end of the first season. (Short version: Foggy got him sprung.)

And now you know all you need to know going in and don't have to watch Defenders. You're welcome. Punisher and Jessica Jones S2 are completely unconnected and you should watch those instead. (I'm aware that the latter is a...contentious opinion.)

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

MiddleOne posted:

Haha what the gently caress was the immolation scene in episode 10. Did the budget run out or something? Terrible CGI, terrible direction and absolutely absurdly mismatched sound.

Honestly, when has the SFX ever been good in the netflix shows? Most of the fight choreography and shot comp has been pretty bad to meh overall.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just finished this up over the weekend and drat if taht wasn't the best 2nd season of Marvel's Netflix series. Crazy amazing good full of suprising twists etc.. Whole Season Spoilers It kind of makes sense at the end that Mariah's last stab at Luke is to corrupt him and Season 3 being about that is gonna be pretty great. I love that Bushmaster survived. I like Tilda. Shades was perfect .

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, Tilda will likely be one of the Big Bads in S3 since she is(will be) Lady Nightshade

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, Tilda will likely be one of the Big Bads in S3 since she is(will be) Lady Nightshade

I hope not. I like her and don't want to see her go full villain. Either way, though, let's all pray she doesn't take up her comics outfit.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Was this the first out-and-out gay relationship in a Marvel Netflix show? Or, recent Marvel in general?

Happy with the season overall!

- Shades / Mariah never felt not weird. It's like as the filming went on, every single time they're like "okay THIS time let's have some chemistry for GODS SAKE" and it never happens
- Bushmaster was great. I think it helped that the preview lowered my expectations way down with that whole "Diamondback 2.0" feeling it gave me.
- The music was phenomenal again. Thank god for Harlem's Paradise, it gives me at least one sure-fire enjoyable scene every episode
- I feel like they shouldn't have given away the spider's kiss thing, it took me out of the whole dialog with Mariah and Tilda
- ATTN Jessica Jones crew: THIS is how you do "unlikely allies", not like all that weird poo poo at the latter half of JJS2

Also in the last episode, I was equally heartbroken both by the end cliffhanger and by the fact that :sad: is now Marvel canon

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 25, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mezzanine posted:

Was this the first out-and-out gay relationship in a Marvel Netflix show? Or, recent Marvel in general?

Jeri Hogarth in JJ S1.

So yeah, every gay person in Marvel to date is an rear end in a top hat and a criminal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Just a heads up Marvel / Disney already edits out any questionable gay stuff/romantic stuff for foreign markets because they want to make money so it's kind of silly for them to not give America / other places a full on gay character.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hollismason posted:

Just a heads up Marvel / Disney already edits out any questionable gay stuff/romantic stuff for foreign markets because they want to make money so it's kind of silly for them to not give America / other places a full on gay character.

Oh there's been a full on gay character - Jeri Hogarth in Jessica Jones with her wife and mistress.

My complaint isn't so much the scarcity of gay characters as every one that does show up in these shows is a ruthless and brutal villain, and Jeri only starts to get better after her wife and mistress both end up dead because of her.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mezzanine posted:

- Shades / Mariah never felt not weird. It's like as the filming went on, every single time they're like "okay THIS time let's have some chemistry for GODS SAKE" and it never happens

I'm not saying it was necessarily intentional, but it actually works pretty well. Shades doesn't really care for Mariah, he just has this infatuation with the Stokes legacy and wanting to be a part of it. And Mariah doesn't give a poo poo about anyone but herself and is willing to use those around her to further her own aims.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I hope not. I like her and don't want to see her go full villain. Either way, though, let's all pray she doesn't take up her comics outfit.

They were setting it up all season, it's going to happen. I was surprised she wasn't the main villain at the tail of this season, who expected her mum and Jamaican Benicio Del Toro could stay interesting for so long.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I thought LC2 was fantastic. Once again the music is the best part of a good show though. Doing "live" performances throughout the series was a good idea. My only real complaint is that while I understand that they are showcasing how strong Luke is by having him just tap people and sort of lightly toss them around while fighting, I really wish they would at least do a little fight choreography. The scenes where he's fighting bushmaster were pretty weak on Luke's part. Again, I get the point of it- he doesn't have to worry about jujitsu normally because of the super strength, but he was trained as a cop, so I mean... at least convincingly throw some punches. It wasn't all terrible but the fighting wasn't that great either, especially compared to Bushmaster who seemed to be pulling out some moves.

Also, I was catching up on the thread...
Ghostrider chat from about 10 pages back: Danny Ketch is still the best ghostrider, and his comic run is panel-to-panel made for a Crow style tv show. I can't understand why they keep going to the Johnny Blaze well. He's the least interesting of all of them. The Robbie Reyes cameo episodes on AoS were the only moderately interesting AoS episodes to date, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

Arrowverse chat from 7 pages back: The only good Arrowverse show was season one of Arrow, when he was basically punisherbatman. Once they decided to make it more light-hearted and goofy it went completely to poo poo. The other shows all started out as kevin sorbo hercules inspired romps and so have never been good. The flash is the worst. Wentworth Miller manages to make LoT not complete poo poo for one season but then he leaves and it turns into even more retarded Doctor Who and the scooby gang for three more seasons or whatever. I don't want to say I'm mad at the CW but I wish they wouldn't have made season 1 of arrow so good so that I got invested. I was prepared for pretty people with problems and they tricked me into thinking it would be something else with a bait-and-switch.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gawain The Blind posted:

The Robbie Reyes cameo episodes on AoS were the only moderately interesting AoS episodes to date, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

:yikes:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mezzanine posted:

- The music was phenomenal again.

Yup
and not just the songs, but the background music too

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

maybe I'm only noticing it now but does Luke Cage feel kind of like a totally lame dude this season? Like, not in a bad way, but he comes off as a great big dork who if he wasn't super powerful would probably get endlessly mocked by his peers?

He's like a dad who was really cool in the 90's but hasn't changed at all so in 2018 he comes off kinda tired and whack

edit: he's like if your high school principal was really hot but acted exactly like every high school principal

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 25, 2018

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Oh yeah, how in the hell did I forget Hogarth

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
New LC season is good! Still picking my favorite parts out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

2reachmu posted:

Honestly, when has the SFX ever been good in the netflix shows? Most of the fight choreography and shot comp has been pretty bad to meh overall.

Like god if you can't do the effect then just cut and have it happen off-screen/obscured. How the hell did that make it past editing without anyone going 'Uuuuuuh'.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Did anyone time Danny's time-to-jackass? It couldn't have been more than a minute before he beclowned himself.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I liked when Cage said 'you seem different." and Danny Rand looked into the camera to say "yes, i am not the same character as before, i am good now."

and his mr noodles hair is gone

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I'm only partway in season 2, but man, Alfre Woodard is really good at her job. Mike Colter continues to come across inconsistently, which bugs me. Some of the dialogue just doesn't seem right for his take on the character (though he nailed the scene where he punched the hole in Claire's wall, at least). The literary theme is great, from the books Cage is reading to the books dudes read in prison, and the music (as others have said) has been a great framing device. Bushmaster is excellent.

JJ S2 is the only Marvel S2 so far where the title character becomes less of a selfish rear end in a top hat though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, finished Luke Cage S2. Thoughts:

This is a much more consistently good season than LCS1. There's no moment of everything dropping off a cliff in story quality or dramatically changing gears like LCS1 had, and it's pretty evenly good throughout. Cage himself still feels like the most wooden member of the cast, Misty Knight remains the absolute best character in the Luke Cage orbit.

The new characters were fine. Bushmaster was a solidly okay villain, it's transparently obvious that he's there so Luke Cage can have a physical equal for fist fights and fortunately, unlike Diamondback, he worked pretty well in the overall story. Tilda was good, but I was really hoping she wouldn't start falling into her Nightshade persona from the comics - I liked her moral ambiguity and was hoping she'd choose the side of good at the end.

Music was great, the use of Harlem's Paradise was a modern-day speakeasy was an inspired choice for season one and it's put to great use again here. One of Luke Cage's signature strengths relative to the other Marvel Netflix, in my opinion, has been its strong sense of place with Harlem. Marvel Harlem feels like a real community in a way that Hell's Kitchen does not, and events are always about how they affect Harlem, not just the individual heroes and villains.

I have mixed feelings about the show's portrayal of LGBT characters and issues. On the one hand, I liked that revealing a character to be queer was treated as a major humanizing element of the character and his love was completely sincere and not at all dismissed out of hand. On the other hand, just like Hogarth the character is still a certified rear end in a top hat and criminal like nearly everyone else on these shows. There's been a couple of queer characters in Marvel Netflix now, but none of them are remotely admirable or good people.

I think my feelings about the overall story and character directions in Luke Cage S2 are that they were well written, internally consistent, and well acted... but I didn't like most of them. This is a darker, grittier show than usual for Marvel Netflix, but not in the sense that there's a lot of violence or sexual trauma or whatever. Most characters in this show are in downward emotional and behavioral spirals, compromising and sacrificing their morals and ideals for what they believe has to be done. It is human, understandable, and banal darkness and corruption. This was a good show that for the most part I found fascinating yet unpleasant to watch. Bad people doing bad things, and good people starting to do bad things and turn into bad people because it seemed necessary.

I found Luke Cage S1 to be the median point of the Marvel Netflix shows, standing right on the line between the good ones and the bad ones. Season two, I'd put comfortably as one of the good entries in the franchise. Not one of the really good ones like Jessica Jones S1 or Punisher, but a significant improvement over the first season.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm enjoying this season but it's real weird how everyone talks about nightshade like it's some mystical piece of foliage like the leaves of Yggdrasil or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm enjoying this season but it's real weird how everyone talks about nightshade like it's some mystical piece of foliage like the leaves of Yggdrasil or something.

Nightshade in this show has nothing in common with the real-world plant except being poisonous. Tilda's basically an alchemist who makes potions, just roll with it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just watched episode 10 and I think the takeaway is that the Luke Cage production team needs to take over making Iron Fist.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's just fun to watch Luke Cage team up with people. The entire first half of the episodes I was thinking: I hope Bushmaster survives this season so Luke can turn to him for help next time...

Then they just went and did it by season's end. I really liked Bushmaster's fighting style being all legs and arms.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bring back old gbs posted:

Then they just went and did it by season's end. I really liked Bushmaster's fighting style being all legs and arms.

Bushmaster seems to be a Capoeira expert, if I'm not mistaken. Not the first martial art I would have associated with Jamaica, but certainly makes him stand out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Nightshade in this show has nothing in common with the real-world plant except being poisonous. Tilda's basically an alchemist who makes potions, just roll with it.

Oh I know it's not at all similar to the real one. It's just funny to hear.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
I really liked this season and I don't know if I'll ever like anything more than (episode 10 ) patty cake followed by the fastball special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Nandi did nothing wrong.