Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

This is a PBF 4-player game of Cthulhu Wars with the base game factions all factions except Tcho-Tcho.

If you'd like to play, please post below to sign up. For this game I'll give preference to newer players, as I suspect having a mix of experienced and new players could lead to a bit of a lopsided game. If it goes well, I'll maybe try running a game for experienced players with the expansion factions.

Also, I'm based in New Zealand so will always be offline between about 3am and 12pm PST, so if you would mostly only be able to play during those hours for whatever reason, this is probably not the game for you.

Cthulhu Wars is a pretty straight-forward game rules-wise. You can find the rulebook here.

Because of the way the game plays out (everyone spending power and taking a single action on their turn) in many cases it won't be necessary for me to provide updates between player turns. For this reason, you guys (the players) can keep taking turns one after the other until something happens that requires moderator input (mostly drawing elder signs, or rolling dice) or you'd like to get a map update in order to get clearer on the board state. I'll try and provide updates as often as I can, and if you don't want to take an action until you have seen a board update, please post to let me know that you want a board update, otherwise I may be assuming that we're waiting on you rather than me.

To keep things running smoothly, please use the following format for your posts:

quote:

Do X action costing Y power
Resolves Z other ability as a free action (if applicable)

Remaining power totals:
Great Cthulhu: 6
Crawling Chaos: 5
Black Goat: 2
Yellow Sign: 0

Next up: Crawling Chaos

That way people will be able to see at a glance the remaining power totals, and know whose turn it is next.

Here's an example:

quote:

Move 1 Acolyte from West Africa to East Africa. Move 1 Acolyte from West Africa to North Atlantic, costing 2 power
Claim unclaimed gate in North Atlantic

Remaining power totals:

Next up Black Goat

Also, if you acquire a spellbook you can add this to your post. When you do so, please indicate which criteria are met, which spellbook you are taking, and copy/paste the spellbook's ability from the next post so that players can see what abilities you have gained from the spellbook.

For example:

quote:

Move 1 Acolyte from West Africa to East Africa. Move 1 Acolyte from West Africa to North Atlantic, costing 2 power
Claim unclaimed gate in North Atlantic

Remaining power totals:

Claim a spellbook for controlling 3 gates:

Abduct (Pre-Battle) Eliminate one or more Nightgaunts in the Battle Area. For each such Nightgaunt, your opponent must eliminate one of his own Monsters or Cultists (his choice) in the Area. After this, combat proceeds.

Next up Black Goat

Lastly, regarding Ghroth, The Thousand Forms, Devolve & similar Spellbooks/Abilities:
Players will have 24 hours to discuss and find a decision when Ghroth or The Thousand Forms is used.
Similar for Devolve: Cthulhu will have max. 24 hours to devolve his Cultists after a player's action.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

quote:

Faction Ability

The Beyond One (Action: Cost 1): Select your unit with a Cost of 3+ in an Area with a Gate, but lacking an enemy Great Old One. Move your Unit to any Area on the map lacking a Gate. In doing so, your Unit takes the Gate with him, plus any controlling unit.

Great Old One(s)

Yog-Sothoth: Cost 6, Combat "Equals twice the number of enemy-controlled Faction Great Old Ones in play."

How to Awaken Yog-Sothoth:

You must have a Spawn of Yog-Sothoth on the map.
Pay 6 Power. Replace the Spawn with Yog-Sothoth.
The Key and the Gate (Ongoing): Yog-Sothoth counts as a Gate for every purpose, except for The Beyond One ability (Also he is not Controlled by a Cultist, and can exist in the same Area as another Gate).

Spellbooks

Dread Curse of Azathoth (Action. Cost 2): Select an Area and roll 1 Combat die per Abomination and Spawn of Yog-Sothoth in play. Apply the die results as Kills and Pains to enemy Factions in the Area (you choose which Faction receives which results). No Battle-type abilities apply. You choose to which Area(s) Units are Pained.
The Million Favored Ones (Post-Battle): After Pains and Kills are resolved, "promote" any or all surviving Acolytes to Mutants, Mutants to Abominations, and Abominations to Spawns of Yog-Sothoth. You can Promote a Spawn of Yog-Sothoth by transforming it into as many Mutants as are in your Pool.
They Break Through (Ongoing): You can Summon Monsters at Enemy Controlled and Abandoned Gates. You do not need to have any Units present in the Area.
Dragon Ascending (Once Only): Once during the game (at any time), set your Power to be equal to the current Power of one chosen enemy Faction. Flip this spellbook face-down after use to indicate you cannot use it again.
Dragon Descending (Once Only): Once during the game when you perform a Ritual of Annihilation, you receive twice the normal Doom points. Flip this spellbook face down after use to indicate you cannot use it again.
Channel Power (Battle): After rolling Combat dice, you may pay 1 Power to reroll all dice which "missed" (i.e., were not Kills or Pains).

quote:

Faction Ability

Hibernate (Action: Cost 0): Add +1 Power to your total for each enemy Great Old One in play, but you cannot more than double your current Power in doing so. You can perform no more Actions during the rest of this Action Phase (as if you were at 0 Power). Add your current Power to your total next Gather Power Phase.

Great Old One(s)

Rhan-Tegoth: Cost 6, Combat 3

How to Awaken Rhan-Tegoth:

Pay 6 Power.
Rhan-Tegoth appears in an Area containing the Windwalker Glyph.
Eternal (Post-Battle): If Rhan Tegoth receives a Pain or a Kill, you may pay 1 power to cancel its effect on him. He can only receive one combat result per battle.

Ithaqua: Cost 6, Combat "Equals half the Doom total of your opponent, rounded up."

How to Awaken Ithaqua:

Rhan-Tegoth has been awakened (he need not be in play).
A Gate must exist in an Area marked with your Glyph. You need not control the Gate.
Pay 6 Power and replace the Gate with Ithaqua.
Ferox (Ongoing): While Ithaqua is in play, your Cultists cannot be captured by enemy Monsters. They are still vulnerable to enemy Great Old Ones.

Spellbooks

Cannibalism (Post-Battle): After a Battle in which one or more enemy Units were Killed, spawn a Wendigo or Acolyte in that Area, even if you were not involved in the Battle.
Howl (Pre-Battle): Before Battle, if any Wendigos are present, you may force the enemy to Retreat one Unit (of their choice) out of the Area to an adjacent Area.
Berserkergang (Ongoing): For each Gnoph-Keh Killed in a Battle, the enemy must Eliminate one Monster or Cultist.
Herald of the Outer Gods (Ongoing): Pay 5 Power for Windwalker's Ritual of Annihilation, regardless of the position of the Ritual marker.
Arctic Wind (Ongoing): When Ithaqua moves, any or all of his Units in the Area can be moved with him for no additional cost.
Ice Age (Action: Cost 1): Place or move your Ice Age token to any Area. When an enemy Faction takes any Action ending in the Ice Age Area, they must pay +1 Power.

quote:

Faction Ability

Feast (Ongoing): During Gather Power, you gain 1 Power for each Area containing both a Desecration Token and one or more of your units.

Great Old One(s)

King in Yellow: Cost 4, Combat 0

How To Awaken The King In Yellow:

You must have a unit in an Area lacking a Gate
Pay 4 Power. The King appears in that Area.
Desecrate: (Action: Cost 2) If the King is in an Area with out a Desecration Token, roll 1 die and compare to your total units in the Area (including the King). On a roll equal or less than your unit total, place a Desecration Token in the Area. If you succeed or fail, place a Monster or Cultist with a cost of 2 or less in the Area.

Hastur: Cost 10, Combat "Equals the current Cost of a Ritual of Annihilation."

How To Awaken Hastur:

You must have a controlled Gate and the King in Yellow in the same area.
Pay 10 Power. Hastur appears in the King's Area.
Vengeance: (Post Battle) If Hastur is involved in a Battle, choose which Combat results are applied to which enemy Unit. (e.g. apply a Kill to a particular Great Old One.)

Spellbooks

Passion (Ongoing) When one or more of your Cultists are Eliminated by an enemy (Killed, Captured, etc.), gain 1 Power.
Zingaya (Action: Cost 1) If Undead are in an area with enemy Acolyte Cultists, transform one such Acolyte Cultist into an Undead.
Shriek of the Byakhee (Action: Cost 1) Move any or all Byakhee from their current Area(s) to one selected Area, regardless of distance.
The Screaming Dead (Action: Cost 1) Move the King in Yellow to an adjacent Area. Any Undead in the same Area can move with him for free. Immediately after, you may take a second, different, Action. You may NOT take He Who is Not to be Named as your second Action.
He Who is Not to be Named (Action: Cost 1) Move Hastur to any area containing a Cultist of any Faction (the Cultist said his name, possibly by accident). Immediately after, you may take a second, different, Action. You may NOT take The Screaming Dead as your second action.
The Third Eye (Ongoing) If Hastur is in play, the cost of Desecration is reduced to 1. If the Desecration succeeds, you also obtain 1 Elder Sign.

quote:

Faction Ability

Death From Below (Ongoing): In the Doom phase, place your lowest cost Monster in an Area containing any of your Units.

Great Old One(s)

Tsathoggua: Cost 8, Combat "Equals the opponent's current Power or 2, whichever is greater."

How to Awaken Tsathoggua:

You must have a Formless Spawn on the map.
Pay 8 Power. Place Tsathoggua in the area with the Formless Spawn.
Lethargy (Action: Cost 0): If Tsathoggua is in play, do nothing. This counts as an Action.

Spellbooks

Energy Nexus (Ongoing): Just before a Battle occurs in an Area containing a Wizard, you may take one Action that originates in the Area, for normal Power Cost. When you finish the Action, the Battle proceeds, starting with the Pre-Battle spellbooks and abilities.
Ancient Sorcery (Action: Cost 1): Remove a Serpent Man from the map, and place him on an enemy Faction’s card. For the remainder of that turn, you have access to the enemy Faction's Unique Ability. During the Doom phase, gain 1 power, and the Serpent Man returns to the map to An area of your choice. If the Unique Ability mentions a Faction’s Great Old One, it is considered to also include Tsathoggua.
Demand Sacrifice (Pre-Battle): If Tsathoggua is in play, your opponent chooses ONE of the following options before a Battle with you:
You gain an Elder Sign OR All their Kill results count as Pains on your units this Battle.
Capture Monster (Action: Cost 1): Tsathoggua can Capture Enemy Monsters in the same manner as Cultists are Captured. They are sacrificed for 1 Power in the next Gather Power Phase.
Burrow (Ongoing): After a Move Action in which you spend 2 or more Power moving Units, regain 1 Power.
Cursed Slumber (Action: Cost 1): Remove your Controlled Gate and its Cultist from the map and place it on your Faction Card. This Gate and Cultist still provide Power and count normally for Doom points, but are immune to enemy action. As a Cost 1 Action, return the Gate and Cultist to any Area lacking a Gate. You may only have one Gate on your Faction Card at a time.

quote:

Faction Ability

Flight (Ongoing): All your Units can fly (even Cultists). When moved, they can travel 2 Areas. They can fly over Areas containing enemy Units.

Great Old One(s)

Nyarlathotep: Cost 10, Combat "Equals the total of your own Faction Spellbooks plus the Faction Spellbooks of your opponent in the Battle."

How to Awaken Nyarlathotep:

You must have a Controlled Gate.
Pay 10 Power. Nyarlathotep appears at the controlled Gate.
The Harbinger: (Post Battle) If Nyarlathotep is in a Battle in which one or more enemy Great Old Ones are Pained or Killed, you receive Power equal to half the cost to Awaken those Great Old Ones. (Even if Nyarlathotep is killed or Pained himself.) Per enemy Great Old One, you may choose to receive 2 Elder Signs instead of the Power.

Spellbooks

Abduct (Pre-Battle) Eliminate one or more Nightgaunts in the Battle Area. For each such Nightgaunt, your opponent must eliminate one of his own Monsters or Cultists (his choice) in the Area. After this, combat proceeds.
Invisibility (Pre-Battle) Select one Monster or Cultist (from either Faction) per Flying Polyp present and "exempt" it. The selected Unit takes no part in the rest of the Battle.
Seek and Destroy (Pre-Battle) Immediately move any or all Hunting Horrors from any Area to the Battle Area.
Emissary of the Outer Gods (Post-Battle) Unless an enemy Great Old One is involved in the Battle, any Kill inflicted on Nyarlathotep becomes a Pain.
The Thousand Forms (Action: Cost 0) If Nyarlathotep is in play, roll 1D6. Your foes must lose that much Power between them, they have 1 minute to decide how much each loses. If they cannot agree, you get the rolled number as Power added to your total. Flip this spellbook face-down to indicate it cannot be used again this turn. During Gather Power, flip it face up again.
Madness (Ongoing) You get to choose to which adjacent Area enemy Units flee to on a Pain result. This happens even in Battles in which you do not participate.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 27, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This is the 5-player map, Kerro. Playing with base game factions only you'll want to use the 3/5 variant of the 4-player map, which is the one that looks like this:

I won't be playing unless absolutely required.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I'm in.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm in, but happy to vacate for a newbie.

Mostly I'm just glad this is happening.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If the scrubs are hiding, I'm happy to play too.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Thanks for the map correction - updated it now. So I just learned we played our first 4 player game on the wrong map.

Once we get one more player we can get started. I figured I'd let people pick sides in randomised order, unless there are any objections.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I'll give this a try

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Alright, let's get this show on the road. Please pick your factions in the following order:

King of Bleh
Mr Squishy
Dancer
Some Numbers

The player order for the first round will be as above, but starting with whichever player picks Great Cthulhu if anyone does(e.g. if Dancer ended up with Cthulhu, player order for round one would be Dancer, KoB, Squishy, SN) so once everyone has picked you can go ahead and start the first turns. Initial power is 8 for everyone.

I'll provide an initial update as soon as I can.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 25, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

This actually works out, because I'm fine with playing literally anyone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kerro posted:

Alright, let's get this show on the road. Please pick your factions in the following order:

King of Bleh
Mr Squishy
Dancer
Some Numbers

The player order for the first round will be as above, but starting with whichever player picks Great Cthulhu (e.g. if Dancer ended up with Cthulhu, player order for round one would be Dancer, KoB, Squishy, SN) so once everyone has picked you can go ahead and start the first turns. Initial power is 8 for everyone.

I'll provide an initial update as soon as I can.

Reminder that play proceeds clockwise on round 1, but after that the starting player chooses direction of play. Kerro, for your ease and convenience here's the anticlockwise play order:

Some Numbers
Dancer
Mr Squishy
King of Bleh

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Actually you know what, I've found a better pbf file that makes integrating the expansion factions a bit easier, so since we have some experienced players and that might balance things out a bit for the newbies if they're playing factions they haven't played before, let's throw them in as well.

I'll update the second post after everyone has selected factions with the special abilities and spellbooks of just the factions that we are using.

You can pick from the following factions (everything except Tcho Tcho):

Cthulhu
Crawling Chaos
Black Goat
Yellow Sign
Sleeper
Opener of the Way
Windwalker

If it's your first game (or you're playing a new faction I guess) it's worth checking out the sections in the rulebook linked in the first post on playing as/against each faction that gets picked. You can also find an overview of the factions and their abilities here: http://cthulhuwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cthulhu_Wars_Strategy_Wikia

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Thanks for the reminders Jedit - I had remembered that one but I'm sure to forget other things as we get going so it's helpful to have another pair of eyes!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh jeez, that changes everything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kerro posted:

If it's your first game (or you're playing a new faction I guess) it's worth checking out the sections in the rulebook linked in the first post on playing as/against each faction that gets picked. You can also find an overview of the factions and their abilities here: http://cthulhuwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cthulhu_Wars_Strategy_Wikia

I'll throw out one piece of advice that the wiki doesn't provide. There are two sources of points in this game: gate control and Elder Signs. Look at how your faction gains Elder Signs, and play accordingly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If we're playing with expansion factions, does that mean we can go over 4 players?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

We could go up to 5 if anyone else wants to join. I'm nervous about keeping track of everything if we go higher than that for the first game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If player count is expanded, sign me up.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Alright, you'll pick last after Some Numbers.

Depending on which factions are picked there might be some decisions to make before the game starts, as some factions get to pick starting areas.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Via the extremely scientific method of "a random number" I'm gonna pick Opener of the Way.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Alright, Mr Squishy has next pick. For people who are new to the game, the base game factions are probably slightly more straightforward, though there's not too much difference in complexity across the board.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I would really like to play either Sleeper or Windwalker, so if you guys aren't too attached to them, I'd appreciate you leaving me one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kerro posted:

Alright, you'll pick last after Some Numbers.

Which means we're going back to your original map. :eng101:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I bodged in the tcho tvho to a vassal mod, i could send you that if you'd like.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Thanks for the offer but I'll just stick with the other 7 factions for this one as I'm not familiar with Vassal but have got the xls file I'm using set up to go now.

It's your pick for a faction too 🙂

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Via the process of "seeing them win the last three times they've been in the game", I'll go WW.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Alright Dancer, you're up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I bodged in the tcho tvho to a vassal mod, i could send you that if you'd like.

Don't do that.

On the subject, however - Kerro, is this game using High Priests? You didn't mention them so I assume not.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
If Sleeper's piece colour is purple, I pick them (I like purple), otherwise the Yellow Sign.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Dancer posted:

If Sleeper's piece colour is purple, I pick them (I like purple), otherwise the Yellow Sign.

Sleeper's orange, Opener's purple. YS it is I guess.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sleeper's orange, Opener's purple. YS it is I guess.

Well I know who's going to be my nemesis this game then.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Slamming Sleeper.

Now I'm going to take a nap.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Crawling Chaos.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So I just realized that Sleeper is the orange faction and starts in North America.

I'm hereby renaming my GOO to Trump.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

So I just realized that Sleeper is the orange faction and starts in North America.

I'm hereby renaming my GOO to Trump.

Wait until you see his abilities and spellbook requirements. Lazy, greedy, hates people moving into his territory, takes credit for other people's achievements, makes deals then breaks them, and can't win without performing the Ritual of Annihilation. It's amazing to think it was designed before 2016.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

Wait until you see his abilities and spellbook requirements. Lazy, greedy, hates people moving into his territory, takes credit for other people's achievements, makes deals then breaks them, and can't win without performing the Ritual of Annihilation. It's amazing to think it was designed before 2016.

I know, right? It's way way too perfect.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Alright then, I think we're ready to go. Windwalker then Opener need to choose starting locations (in that order), then Opener has the first turn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tsathoggua is the President, the Formless Spawn are the First Children, the Serpent Men are Senior Aides and the Wizards are KKK?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Oh god I didn't even think about the Wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

I kind of feel like the formless spawn would have to be Mitch McConnell. All of them, collectively.

• Locked thread