Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I feel like trying to steer clear of politics and political discussion is difficult nowadays. Current events have a habit of trickling down into discussions of other things.

Especially when you get people coming after you and demanding you present your political views. I dunno if it was last thread or the one before that where some guy came charging at me, demanding to know who I voted for in 2016 and started accusing me of working a computer engineering job or something like that.

If that person is reading this, buddy, I wish I was this strawman of yours that had a computer engineering job cause that means I don't work at a crappy discount grocery store and would make enough money to not live in a ghetto where I've been broken into twice in the span of a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The only guy like that I have a subscription to is cr1tikal.

He seems alright. He's also not entirely stupid, just had a video explaining how the keto diet works.

I used to like him, but he started doing a podcast with his friends where they interview other fairly big YouTube people and it wasn't long before they started hosting all around awful people like Count Dankula, Chris Ray Gun, Keemstar, h3h3, and -- wait for it -- Boogie. That's too CHUDdy by association for me anymore.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Boogie talk made me look up his bit at the Game Awards and god is it farcical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV2h9wWj4_Y

Corporate Representative: these are the Gamers that speak unfiltered to the Fans
*montage of screaming YouTube men*

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Motto posted:

Corporate Representative: these are the Gamers that speak unfiltered to the Fans

Don't forget the cheating, racist, hokey actionman won ~trending gamer~ too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Motto posted:

You're exagera--no, you're not :stare:

"Hmm. What clip can we use to sum up Boogie and present the best possible impression of him to people who may have never seen or heard of him before?" / [Clip of a grown man angrily breaking a plastic Rock Band drum set with a plastic Guitar Hero guitar from his Lay-Z-Boy recliner because he's physically unable to stand up] / "Perfect!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The game awards are a loving joke and Geoff Keighley thinks he's running the loving Oscars. The only good thing to come from them are Crowbcat's compilation videos.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The game awards are a loving joke and Geoff Keighley thinks he's running the loving Oscars. The only good thing to come from them are Crowbcat's compilation videos.

Josef Fares was the best part coming on-stage hopped up on whatever he had, he got to essentially tell Geoff to go gently caress himself and his game (A Way Out) was fantastic to boot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

That and Joel McHale verbally demolishing them right in front of GeoffK's face.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The idea that video games need their own Oscar night to show how mature and legitimate they are as a medium is dumb to me because they're already the largest entertainment business in the world, but the industry as a whole thinks they need to look the part and appear professional all of a sudden.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Iirc, doesn't Joel McHale's setup look like they were expecting colour commentary and instead he just goes ham on the whole thing instead?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i know. its just so clear he doesnt know what he is talking about. there was some great article by a fellow professor at his college that explained how he became such a shithead and hypocrite.

I ran into one stupid Peterson fan recently, and while all he was doing is regurgitating stupid ideas without being able to even defend them properly and then claiming we were too dumb to understand the brilliance of the original, so he was clearly beyond redemption, I would like to know a bit more about how JP came to prominence. Do you remember who wrote that story?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The idea that video games need their own Oscar night to show how mature and legitimate they are as a medium is dumb to me because they're already the largest entertainment business in the world, but the industry as a whole thinks they need to look the part and appear professional all of a sudden.

because then if they don't then they arnt art or some poo poo. Ebert saying he didnt think games were art broke so many brains and now that poo poo is used as battle cry by every stupid dipshit ever for anything that involves video games/critiuqes/etc. so you have mix of morons who either don't want the hobby to evolve or dumbshits that think art has to be boring art house poo poo written by hacks. its why i only watch the game awards for trailers and to laugh. my GOTY of 2017 was asscreed origins.

Motto posted:

pretty much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I ran into one stupid Peterson fan recently, and while all he was doing is regurgitating stupid ideas without being able to even defend them properly and then claiming we were too dumb to understand the brilliance of the original, so he was clearly beyond redemption, I would like to know a bit more about how JP came to prominence. Do you remember who wrote that story?

https://www.thestar.com/amp/opinion/2018/05/25/i-was-jordan-petersons-strongest-supporter-now-i-think-hes-dangerous.html

it was on the C-spam JP mockthread.

nine-gear crow posted:

yeah. and its true EA does suck rear end outside DICE and even they are cointoss sometimes.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I feel like trying to steer clear of politics and political discussion is difficult nowadays. Current events have a habit of trickling down into discussions of other things.

In normal conversation, yeah, but like as an Internet Personality you can just choose not to engage or comment. It'd probably be more responsible to just be like, "Y'all are watching me for being a big ol' dork, I don't think I'm the person you should be turning to for any kind of serious opinions because I am Dumb As gently caress about that." But then you don't get that warm glow of people respecting your opinions, so I can see why people keep milkshake ducking themselves.

On the other hand, you'll get plenty of people who think that you need to Use Your Platform and that Silence Equals Consent or whatever. I still feel like the vast majority of your audience would be fine with you just saying "gently caress giving my political opinions to the internet, I am a duck who loves milkshakes and that is all you need to know."

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Puppy Time posted:

On the other hand, you'll get plenty of people who think that you need to Use Your Platform and that Silence Equals Consent or whatever. I still feel like the vast majority of your audience would be fine with you just saying "gently caress giving my political opinions to the internet, I am a duck who loves milkshakes and that is all you need to know."

It doesn't help that the Right Wing Crazy Machine has a habit of going out of its way to turn everything into a Culture War Battleground. Just look at what happened with Black Panther and how the altright pundit circuit tried to say is was advocating for ethnostates or had a pro-Trump message or whatever. I think content creators have to take the idea that their content will be appropriated for political ends if they DON'T take a stance as a very real concern right now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Thanks!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Puppy Time posted:

In normal conversation, yeah, but like as an Internet Personality you can just choose not to engage or comment. It'd probably be more responsible to just be like, "Y'all are watching me for being a big ol' dork, I don't think I'm the person you should be turning to for any kind of serious opinions because I am Dumb As gently caress about that." But then you don't get that warm glow of people respecting your opinions, so I can see why people keep milkshake ducking themselves.

I was thinking more along the lines of how endorsing or voicing dislike is sometimes interpreted as being indicative of your politics. Something like, "Oh, if you didn't like The Last Jedi, then you must be part of the alt-right", or like how people rallied againstJames Rolfe over Ghostbusters 2016.

On top of that, publications or outlets have a tendency to bring up politics when covering things that have little-to-no relevance to the subject at hand. Remember how back when Monster Hunter World came out, Waypoint's brought up colonialism and Trump?

Then there's this:

"Social issues are profitable" :ughh:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Arcsquad12 posted:

On one hand you're not wrong, on the other hand "We need to show the world we're unified and professional and culturally relevant" was pretty much the impetus for the Academy Awards when they formed it, so why wouldn't video games want to do the same thing?

I think the central problem isn't that one can't award cool artistic or emotionally relevant experiences in video games, it's that the companies bankrolling these awards are the ones producing the video game equivalent of Michael Bay movies and the audience that goes with it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of how endorsing or voicing dislike is sometimes interpreted as being indicative of your politics. Something like, "Oh, if you didn't like The Last Jedi, then you must be part of the alt-right", or like how people rallied againstJames Rolfe over Ghostbusters 2016.

On top of that, publications or outlets have a tendency to bring up politics when covering things that have little-to-no relevance to the subject at hand. Remember how back when Monster Hunter World came out, Waypoint's brought up colonialism and Trump?

Then there's this:

"Social issues are profitable" :ughh:

I hate poo poo like that. it doesnt help make good critquies, it just makes sites look bad and snippy over dumb poo poo. its kinda like how some of the reviews of far cry 5(yeah it was loving mess story wise and a whole bunch) was bad because the enemies didnt scream hail trump before you shoot them. believe me. i am pissed at far cry 5 as well because they could have gone in weird directions with the cult beliefs and poo poo but instead it was david koresh meets isis. polygon was pushing the same kind question when the division 2 got announced and poo poo talk about Ubisoft who is probably one of the most social progressive devs outside some indie devs. the waypoint article on far cry 5 was loving terrible. sorry austin as much as i loved mafia 3, not every game is gonna be like that. I like waypoint but holy poo poo and can they make some terrible articles and hot takes. like yeah with the monster hunter article. you hate trump and the right, what the gently caress does that have to do with this game. I can sorta understand why idiots turn against media critiques when this is their first exposure to it.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/20/17480666/video-games-companies-lying-politics

yeah its dumb. i get what they are trying to say but still they seem to think that every game has to be a deep think piece if it ever even touches on sensitive themes or ideas. Because Game are art now or whatever. Honestly, i think the game companies are less afraid of reactions from dumbshit chud types and more from people like Colin getting mad because they game didnt have the exact political stance he wanted. I can understand why they are moving more to dumb shouting morons from youtube because they probaly ask more varied questions. like the article talks about the division 2 interview and my belief is that guy was gonna get poo poo no matter how he answered the questions, so he would rather take the "its dumb airport fiction thats relatively non political" then what happened with far cry 5. they wanted him to say "in this game you shoot trump voters who have tried to take over the goverment" that's probably the only right answer. like I agree with the underlining point of "if games say they are political, then be political" but alot of the time, i assume the devs feel its a lose-lose.

and for the record, I hate trump and the rest of the chuds. I just wish game sites like polygon would just come out and say thats what they want, instead of beating around the bush.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 24, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

stillvisions posted:

On one hand you're not wrong, on the other hand "We need to show the world we're unified and professional and culturally relevant" was pretty much the impetus for the Academy Awards when they formed it, so why wouldn't video games want to do the same thing?

I think the central problem isn't that one can't award cool artistic or emotionally relevant experiences in video games, it's that the companies bankrolling these awards are the ones producing the video game equivalent of Michael Bay movies and the audience that goes with it.

On one hand the video game industry wants to prove they are distinct from films or literature hit at the same time they are desperate to receive the same kind of artistic recognition. So it's ironic then that they copy the academy awards style ceremony to prove their legitimacy while still spouting how different they are.

The formality is boring. While it was immature and totally radical, gaming in the 90s and early 2000s was a lot more fun, culturally speaking. Games in the public eye were the hip new counter culture to the stuffy snobby film industry and the dusty old books. Now the industry just looks boring as the AAA industry doubles down on the Hollywood blockbuster entropy design and the creative indie scene gets pushed further to the margins by lovely platform management from Steam. Meanwhile the middle market that dominated gaming throughout the PS2 era is basically extinct.

The games industry became the metaphorical parents they were rebelling against, while the indie market is the weird aunt or uncle who travels a lot and is only occasionally embraced by the main family.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

On one hand the video game industry wants to prove they are distinct from films or literature hit at the same time they are desperate to receive the same kind of artistic recognition. So it's ironic then that they copy the academy awards style ceremony to prove their legitimacy while still spouting how different they are.

The formality is boring. While it was immature and totally radical, gaming in the 90s and early 2000s was a lot more fun, culturally speaking. Games in the public eye were the hip new counter culture to the stuffy snobby film industry and the dusty old books. Now the industry just looks boring as the AAA industry doubles down on the Hollywood blockbuster entropy design and the creative indie scene gets pushed further to the margins by lovely platform management from Steam. Meanwhile the middle market that dominated gaming throughout the PS2 era is basically extinct.

The games industry became the metaphorical parents they were rebelling against, while the indie market is the weird aunt or uncle who travels a lot and is only occasionally embraced by the main family.

there is still some good middle market middle priced stuff. its mostly weird RPGs from eastern europe or other places or remasters or different weird poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hellblade was good so I was sad to hear that the developer got swallowed up by Microsoft. I mean it's good for them to get financial backing but it was also great to see that a team could put out an excellent product without the need for the AAA market bloat.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hellblade was good so I was sad to hear that the developer got swallowed up by Microsoft. I mean it's good for them to get financial backing but it was also great to see that a team could put out an excellent product without the need for the AAA market bloat.

same with we happy few's devs. the game is good, though it has issues(backed it on kickstarter.)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

God Gaming YouTube is so loving stupid.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It think it's good because it may mean that the next time Ninja Theory makes a game that profits of disability they might learn from microsoft recent efforts and actually achieve some basic accessibility.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Hel posted:

next time Ninja Theory makes a game that profits of disability they might learn from microsoft recent efforts and actually achieve some basic accessibility

:thunk: on multiple levels

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

The other thing is that people might be cheering that Microsoft's making smart decisions to get some actual exclusive titles (and to an extent, they are), but I think everyone needs to remember what happened when they tried to get Platinum to make Scalebound; They mismanaged the project so badly it would've killed the studio outright were it not for Nier Automata. And as in-house studios, I doubt those five studios have a Nier Automata of their own in the wings.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

very important content update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yw6z9G7p1g

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I used to like him, but he started doing a podcast with his friends where they interview other fairly big YouTube people and it wasn't long before they started hosting all around awful people like Count Dankula, Chris Ray Gun, Keemstar, h3h3, and -- wait for it -- Boogie. That's too CHUDdy by association for me anymore.

Same here, I was listening to them and completely unaware of any weird Maga stuff beyond Kaya listening to Ben Shapiro and being real mad at Neil Degrasse Tyson- which really isn't that hard- and never actually giving a reason- I mean that literally, the conversation always moved on and he'd never actually say what pissed him off about NDT. And Bill Nye for not being a super scientist like Dolph Lundgren- which is really important to host a TV show about science, since there's apparently no other way to learn about this stuff besides Bill Nye telling you about it.

I didn't know who Keemstar actually was and just thought he did something like RayWilliamJohnson or Daniel Tosh and made comments over youtube videos. Cuz it wasn't until Chris Ray Gun and PewDiePie- post calling a dude a friend of the family on stream- were guests and I looked up Chris Ray Gun because I was like 'Why does that name sound familiar?' that I went oh no.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yardbomb posted:

:thunk: on multiple levels

Can you expand on why you think that? NT spent a lot of their PR on how they consulted with psychologists and how Senua was character affected by psychosis, but they've been criticized for not even trying to make the game playable by people with similar symptoms. The perspective pattern matching stuff is apparently really hard for some people because their brains present a lot of better matches than the one required by the game. Then there is a the way more common stuff like having subtitles often be missing, wrong or just mistimed for a lot of dialogue even for stuff like gameplay hints or how there are puzzles that rely entirely on sound with no way other than pure brute force for people with less than perfect hearing. They've also gotten criticism for presenting mental illness as some kind of helpful superpower. So yeah they built and sold a game on the main character having a disability but didn't make the game playable for people with disabilities.

Contrast that with Microsoft recently putting out a lot of a11ly stuff even announcing the release of their adaptive controller at a pretty reasonable price. Microsoft is far from flawless but in this area they are miles ahead of Ninja Theory and I hope the acquisition will bring NT up to speed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

she good

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

My toddler has been saying MORE PORG all afternoon so this is relevant to my interests.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also have been screaming that, but just at strangers on the street

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"This porg exists only to gaslight me, 3/10" is a fuckin powerful line

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I remember when Ninja Theory tried to hype up their Devil May Cry reboot by saying that their Dante was a super cool loner like the bad guy from Chronicle, unlike old Dante who was a fag like the guys from Brokeback Mountain.

Obvious bias in this video, Patton Oswalt Porg got robbed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

"This porg exists only to gaslight me, 3/10" is a fuckin powerful line

I like the "backyard breeding" description of one, myself.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Alacron posted:

I remember when Ninja Theory tried to hype up their Devil May Cry reboot by saying that their Dante was a super cool loner like the bad guy from Chronicle, unlike old Dante who was a fag like the guys from Brokeback Mountain.

Yup.

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1010696683007586304

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Was hoping she would do a belly flop onto the bed of porgs. 7/10
Also

Alacron posted:

Wow, and I thought the "new dante is better" thing from capcom was just that scene where a white wig flies onto new dante's head and he goes "not a chance" and tosses it.

Leal fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 24, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I find it fascinating how they went from worst storytelling to loving great storytelling all from the same writer. So were the other games flukes or was hellblade the fluke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alacron posted:

I wish there was a big wiki on this stuff because I would love to remember hostile marketing and also gamers flipping their poo poo like that.