Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Umm, hey The Orville thread. I am pretty leftist but I don't want the thread for the show I like getting closed so can we rage somewhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

40k may be more progressive than Mike Pence's America. I mean women can rise high in almost every branch of the Imperiums service. Generally, unless you get stuck on some fantanatical imperial cult world, as long as your praise the Emperor and pay your tithes, you can live how you like.

Man I hate how we have to wait until January for more shows. Where's the musical episode?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The primary difference between conservatism and liberalism is that liberalism seeks some kind of change and conservatism doesn't.

Not all change is progress. I would say it a little differently: conservatism seeks, ideally, to conserve the good things from the past, not simply to avoid change entirely. Likewise, unless I am mistaken, ideally liberalism/progressivism seeks to make good changes, not just change for the sake of change. And a healthy society needs both.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

There has literally never been a time in history that being conservative has been the right choice. Or even won in the end. Tell the Roman senators that Julius Cesars liberal land reform is worth dying over.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

drunken officeparty posted:

There has literally never been a time in history that being conservative has been the right choice. Or even won in the end. Tell the Roman senators that Julius Cesars liberal land reform is worth dying over.

Caesar didn't even remotely go to war because his land reform bill got voted down, or even for any populist reasons. The ideologies and situations in late Republican Rome don't bear more than a passing similarity to modern America and I really wish people would stop acting like they're comparable

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Not all change is progress. I would say it a little differently: conservatism seeks, ideally, to conserve the good things from the past, not simply to avoid change entirely. Likewise, unless I am mistaken, ideally liberalism/progressivism seeks to make good changes, not just change for the sake of change. And a healthy society needs both.

gently caress off with this.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Caesar didn't even remotely go to war because his land reform bill got voted down, or even for any populist reasons. The ideologies and situations in late Republican Rome don't bear more than a passing similarity to modern America and I really wish people would stop acting like they're comparable

I’m not trying to compare America to Rome. It was just the first example to come to mind. Pick any other you want, the French revolution, the Soviets, whatevs.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

Umm, hey The Orville thread. I am pretty leftist but I don't want the thread for the show I like getting closed so can we rage somewhere else?

Think they'll build another one? Plenty of letters left in the alphabet

Conservatives don't stand for any of the good things you describe in practice, and in fact go out of their way to destroy institutions that are meant to conserve good things (like the environment we all share) so they can make themselves richer or simply out of spite.

People who do things like that on Star Trek are usually considered villains, or at best misguided souls that needed to be stopped before they hurt someone.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

drunken officeparty posted:

I’m not trying to compare America to Rome. It was just the first example to come to mind. Pick any other you want, the French revolution, the Soviets, whatevs.

conservatives won pretty decisively in the french revolution

and in all dozen of the revolutions of 1848

you could argue french liberals won "in the end" but what does in the end even mean? Maybe if you put your cut off for "the end" at June 2018. But who knows in 2100 what it'll look like, or 2500, or 3000? There's a reasonable argument to be made in 400 AD that Rome always "wins" int he end whatever that means and 200 years later it was half the size and a thousand years later it was gone

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 23, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lol if a movement want things to change and wins people know about it, if they lose nothing changes and nobody gives a gently caress.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

mycomancy posted:

You align yourself with pedophiles, white supremacists, and other assorted monsters, so your 'beilever' status is loving garbage. I hope you get brain cancer and soon.

Edit: I may eat a probe for this, but I'm 100% serious. I hope you get a debilitating brain disease that robs you of what makes you you and your family destroys their life trying to save you.

Peace, and long life. 🖖

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Well now that that's over with. Do we have a release date for season two? Or any cast changes?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

If it was that simple there'd never be any disagreement. My point is that Star Trek supports the liberal animating tendency toward "change." But it's good that you're mature enough to enjoy it anyway.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Sazabi posted:

Well now that that's over with. Do we have a release date for season two? Or any cast changes?

They replaced Seth MacFarlane

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If it was that simple there'd never be any disagreement. My point is that Star Trek supports the liberal animating tendency toward "change." But it's good that you're mature enough to enjoy it anyway.

Unless it's a change they don't like. Like when those aliens tried to join the federation by inhabiting the bodies of useless starfleet admirals, and humans murdered the gently caress out of them. All about new life and new civilizations, unless you ugly.

So much for the tolerant federation!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Unless it's a change they don't like. Like when those aliens tried to join the federation by inhabiting the bodies of useless starfleet admirals, and humans murdered the gently caress out of them. All about new life and new civilizations, unless you ugly.

in the far future, brain slugs are the only remaining acceptable targets for speciesism

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Imagine waking up and checking the paper on Earth the next day.

"Joint Defense Chiefs Executed by Captain and First Officer of Flagship Enterprise, Were Under Control of Brain Slugs for Indeterminate Amount of Time"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Assassinated.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
WE SEEK PEACEFUL COEXISTENCE
(neck throbs)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We are smart, we look for things.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

mycomancy posted:

I hope you get a debilitating brain disease that robs you of what makes you you and your family destroys their life trying to save you.

Sadly, with my spouse's extended family as proof, even this won't stop them from voting. The family fills the ballot out "like he would want" and sends the ballot in. Not even death two months before the election was enough to stop them (all while complaining about "lieberal voting fraud"...).

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

poolside toaster posted:

Sadly, with my spouse's extended family as proof, even this won't stop them from voting. The family fills the ballot out "like he would want" and sends the ballot in. Not even death two months before the election was enough to stop them (all while complaining about "lieberal voting fraud"...).

What the gently caress why have you not reported this

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

The best part is in the captain's log immediately following this scene, Picard laments "having to destroy life after all these years of learning to respect it" or words to that effect

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

big black turnout posted:

Yes, you should report this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

big black turnout posted:

Yeah, jesus christ, this is a serious violation of the law.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Hey guys what's goin on lot of new posts you must've heard about MacFarl...

:yikes:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Komrade Hitlerstalin decided to out himself as SA's most willfully obtuse yet wholly sincere conservative once again, always a good time.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

You'd think I would learn one of these times.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wasn't there a TNG episode where a parasite had to take over somebody on the Enterprise to survive and they ended up making peace with it, or at least considering doing that?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I must be thinking of The Host

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's a shame you never Watched Ds9

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
His rates were too high.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Wasn't there a TNG episode where a parasite had to take over somebody on the Enterprise to survive and they ended up making peace with it, or at least considering doing that?

I know there was the trill the dr crusher fell in love with that had to join with riker while a new host was delivered.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think he's talking about the one where they find they are missing three days and investigate but Data tries to sabotage. It turns out the crew willingly volunteered to be vessels for the survival of some alien but the condition was they were not allowed to remember.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kurieg posted:

WE SEEK PEACEFUL COEXISTENCE
(neck throbs)

You know, after that happened, I bet the Trill got awfully nervous.

"Whoa whoa, don't go thinking we're like these guys, we're totally different heh heh."

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Astroman posted:

"Whoa whoa, don't go thinking we're like these guys, we're totally different heh heh."

*Phaser blasts Jadzia’s head until it explodes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Astroman posted:

There's a (garbage) Trek EU novel that said the Conspiracy bugs were mutant outcast Trill symbiotes.
Because of course there was.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

8one6 posted:

There's a (garbage) Trek EU novel that said the Conspiracy bugs were mutant outcast Trill symbiotes.
Because of course there was.

In Star trek online, they were engineered by the solonagen based life forms that abducted crew members into subspace that one time time, at the behest of the Iconians.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I think he's talking about the one where they find they are missing three days and investigate but Data tries to sabotage. It turns out the crew willingly volunteered to be vessels for the survival of some alien but the condition was they were not allowed to remember.

No, they weren't vessels for their survival, the aliens just didn't want anyone to know they were at that planet.

There was a TOS episode where three of the crew (Kirk, Spock, Diana Muldaur's character) agreed to be vessels for a time so that the aliens could build robots to live in, and there was TNG Power Play where aliens possessed Data, Troi, and O'Brien and were trying to trick/coerce Picard into letting more aliens onto the ship to possess the rest of his crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There was an episode of TOS where they are taking some scientist lady somewhere but they crash on some planet. Turns out Zephram Cochrane lives there with some alien cloud. The scientist lady dies and everyone is ok with the cloud being possessing her dead body to live with Zephram Cochrane forever. I doubt her family would want the remains anyway. "Don't worry folks, your family member's corpse is being hosed by ol Zephram Cochrane himself."