Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like the "backyard breeding" description of one, myself.

its true. it looks inbred and it has a bit of shucks wall eyed look to it. I enjoyed this because i too noticed most of the plush porgs were poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wait they tried to market old dante, who is objectively better in every way, as some lame homo compared to the really embarrassing new one?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

wait they tried to market old dante, who is objectively better in every way, as some lame homo compared to the really embarrassing new one?

yeah.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I find it fascinating how they went from worst storytelling to loving great storytelling all from the same writer. So were the other games flukes or was hellblade the fluke.

a good deal of how DmC turned out was actually capcom, they were very involved in the project and kept pushing for changes that ninja theory seemed uncomfortable with or unprepared for, leaving them in the awkward position of defending changes they themselves didn't even want to make (and they did this in a really lovely way to be fair)

though I'm not saying capcom was totally at fault obv, it was just that the kind of game ninja theory actually wanted to make was very different from what was made

japanese publishers in general were really struggling with trying to appeal to western audiences to expand their profit base, since trying to appeal solely to japanese audiences with the skyrocketing development budgets just wasn't working out, lots of publishers in japan were doing this and I can't think of a single instance where it actually worked out, saying "well ok DMC is more popular in the west than it is here so let's westernise it" just alienates the original audience which came to that game for its japanese style in the first place

though thankfully it seems like lately we've come out of the other side of this mentality with japanese publishers, so hopefully something like DmC never happens again

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

yea people forget because gamers DID totally lose their poo poo in a dumb way but NT was out there like, actively going "NO ONE LIKES OLD DANTE HE WAS A FUCKIN FAAAAAAAAAAAAAG"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cat doter posted:

though thankfully it seems like lately we've come out of the other side of this mentality with japanese publishers, so hopefully something like DmC never happens again

i've always found companies alienating their existing fanbase in some attempt to gain more customers fascinating. has it ever worked??

sexpig by night posted:

yea people forget because gamers DID totally lose their poo poo in a dumb way but NT was out there like, actively going "NO ONE LIKES OLD DANTE HE WAS A FUCKIN FAAAAAAAAAAAAAG"

i totally missed it. i just remember dmc being one of the most embarrassing reboots ever.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Which is so wrong headed I can't even really process it. Like first, why would that be a problem? Second old Dante was better. Third Dante being bi would be like the least surprising video game coming out event ever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've always found companies alienating their existing fanbase in some attempt to gain more customers fascinating. has it ever worked??

Sure, CoD! Remember when CoD first came out and it was all about showing you the history of WW2 in a way that WASN'T in an American front? I remember my mind being loving blown, I played a lot of Medal of Honor but those games were basically you were in France fighting Nazis or you were on a Pacific island fighting the Japanese. Then CoD came out and it was like whaaa, Russians were in WW2? The British were in WW2?! Whaaat, I thought WW2 was just Americans, Germans and Japanese!

yes yes I know I was taught in school about other factions in WW2 and yes I know WW stands for WORLD war and as such there were multiple belligerents during that time.

Then CoD threw out all historical significance and fully went into the pro mlg kdr 1v1 me bruh crowd and its a cash train that has yet to derail.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you are correct but it's funny the best cod since they made the modern switch was when they went back to ww2 (world at war). sadly all the modern warfare ones sell like hotcakes.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
that mlg kdr bullshti was very much there before modern warfare came out, it was quite a big chunk of the cod fanbase, cod 2 was huge online, you could say that activision shifted focus but I don't think it's accurate to say they alienated the original fanbase

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think he's right because i'm part of the original fanbase and the campaigns in the newer games are way worse (and mostly an afterthought).

it's weird that "pro" cod doesn't use hardcore which is the correct way to play online. it's the one thing i miss from playing world at war or blops. maybe that's why i got into pubg.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Which is so wrong headed I can't even really process it. Like first, why would that be a problem? Second old Dante was better. Third Dante being bi would be like the least surprising video game coming out event ever.

I dunno man, Tracer might have him beat. :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think he's right because i'm part of the original fanbase and the campaigns in the newer games are way worse (and mostly an afterthought).

it's weird that "pro" cod doesn't use hardcore which is the correct way to play online. it's the one thing i miss from playing world at war or blops. maybe that's why i got into pubg.

idk. infinite warfare was pretty great and AW was ok. most of the campaigns are alright.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Redlettermedia just dropped a video for the Jurassic World sequel which ended up immediately being taken down for.... Fraud?

What?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

cat doter posted:

a good deal of how DmC turned out was actually capcom, they were very involved in the project and kept pushing for changes that ninja theory seemed uncomfortable with or unprepared for, leaving them in the awkward position of defending changes they themselves didn't even want to make (and they did this in a really lovely way to be fair)

though I'm not saying capcom was totally at fault obv, it was just that the kind of game ninja theory actually wanted to make was very different from what was made

japanese publishers in general were really struggling with trying to appeal to western audiences to expand their profit base, since trying to appeal solely to japanese audiences with the skyrocketing development budgets just wasn't working out, lots of publishers in japan were doing this and I can't think of a single instance where it actually worked out, saying "well ok DMC is more popular in the west than it is here so let's westernise it" just alienates the original audience which came to that game for its japanese style in the first place

It should be noted the person pushing for more westernization (whether good or bad) was noted westaboo Keiji Inafune. Who, his post-Capcom work proves, probably wasn't someone they should have been taking advice from in the first place.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always knew those guys were hack frauds.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kay Kessler posted:

It should be noted the person pushing for more westernization (whether good or bad) was noted westaboo Keiji Inafune. Who, his post-Capcom work proves, probably wasn't someone they should have been taking advice from in the first place.

loving up a mega man clone that you got millions for is pretty impressive i have to admit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Redlettermedia just dropped a video for the Jurassic World sequel which ended up immediately being taken down for.... Fraud?

What?

lol. i am curious what they thought. i kinda disliked world. so i am sure i will feel the same about the new one.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Maybe it’s because my favorite Mega Man character is X, the character Inafune was forced to make by execs because Zero didn’t resemble the original Mega Man enough, but I was never sold on the idea that Inafune was the sole king of all things Mega Man.

So I guess Mighty No 9’s disaster lets me say “I told you so”. At least until Mega Man 11 sucks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MiddleOne posted:

What?

they're hack frauds!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol. i am curious what they thought. i kinda disliked world. so i am sure i will feel the same about the new one.

mike's brain has been destroyed by alcohol so he liked world even though it was bad. from everything i've heard ""fallen kingdom"" is even worse.

sexpig by night posted:

they're hack frauds!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

they're hack frauds!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

mike's brain has been destroyed by alcohol so he liked world even though it was bad. from everything i've heard ""fallen kingdom"" is even worse.

I'm seeing Fallen Kingdom this coming week so can't speak on it yet but World had some good moments in it to justify the bullshit. I saw it half drunk and had an alright time. I CAN'T imagine Mike sees movies like that any different way.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RLM Vid:
It's not the real one yet. They did the "I liked it, again..." "Oh, I hated it, again..." akin to Transformers followed by 20min of the JP theme and a note the real video was coming.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jurassic world had the same problem ghostbusters had - even if it's alright it's impossible not to compare it to the great original.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ghostbusters is a good cautionary tale. It shows the importance of having a good script and good direction. Ad-lib is well and good but you have to reign that poo poo in and make sure it doesn't get in the way of the story. It's such a talent bomb.

I doubt the bean-counters took that lesson away from that film, though.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Max Wilco posted:

On top of that, publications or outlets have a tendency to bring up politics when covering things that have little-to-no relevance to the subject at hand. Remember how back when Monster Hunter World came out, Waypoint's brought up colonialism and Trump?

Is there meant to be some kind of problem with this? Because I'm not seeing it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

What?

It's on Vimeo https://vimeo.com/276746822

rvm
May 6, 2013

khwarezm posted:

There was like 10 page discussion on it a while ago which to no great surprise lead nowhere.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

actually, Dante does not gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Ghostbusters is a good cautionary tale. It shows the importance of having a good script and good direction. Ad-lib is well and good but you have to reign that poo poo in and make sure it doesn't get in the way of the story. It's such a talent bomb.

I doubt the bean-counters took that lesson away from that film, though.

pretty much. with the right director and writers, that movie probaly would have been pretty good. it had the talent behind it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/qvn5eb/two-games-two-radically-different-approaches-to-adapting-lovecraft

i thought this article was interesting. basically. two devs are trying their hands at two different approachzs with Lovecraft detective type story. one being the more traditional lovecraft ideal (dude trying to solve murder, probaly slowly goes nuts) and the other, where alot of the weird poo poo seems to be more of an everyday occurrence. i kinda agree that the latter seems more interesting.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yet for some reason, people still defend Ninja Theory's DmC :iiam:

khwarezm posted:

People have said that the claim of colonialism in Monster Hunter World doesn't hold any water. You're setting out in 'The New World' , but there's nothing along the lines of steam-rolling over some preexisting society that lives there (as far as I know).

It's also been pointed out that, if anything, MHW has a sort of pro-environmentalism element to it, since the big final boss monster you're hunting is so destructive that wherever it goes, it massively screws up the ecosystems in its wake.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 24, 2018

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/qvn5eb/two-games-two-radically-different-approaches-to-adapting-lovecraft

i thought this article was interesting. basically. two devs are trying their hands at two different approachzs with Lovecraft detective type story. one being the more traditional lovecraft ideal (dude trying to solve murder, probaly slowly goes nuts) and the other, where alot of the weird poo poo seems to be more of an everyday occurrence. i kinda agree that the latter seems more interesting.

It makes sense to lean into it. There's a reason that Lovecraft did short stories. You can only have so much cosmic horror before the novelty wears off.

The old Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth game handled it well enough in concept. You start off as the lone detective in town doing stealth stuff and exploration, slowly freaking out as you see weird eldritch stuff. The action rises into a really fun chase sequence, then there's some annoying stuff that breaks the pace, unti it rolls into a big action sequence fighting a bunch of Deep Ones that board a navy ship until you kill Dagon with the artillery pieces on the boat. Sadly that's not the ending and it kind of whiffs it from there, but just leaning into making a fun fanservice trip seems like a better idea than trying for full tension.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this justt makes me wish there was a bloodborne 2.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It makes sense to lean into it. There's a reason that Lovecraft did short stories. You can only have so much cosmic horror before the novelty wears off.

The old Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth game handled it well enough in concept. You start off as the lone detective in town doing stealth stuff and exploration, slowly freaking out as you see weird eldritch stuff. The action rises into a really fun chase sequence, then there's some annoying stuff that breaks the pace, unti it rolls into a big action sequence fighting a bunch of Deep Ones that board a navy ship until you kill Dagon with the artillery pieces on the boat. Sadly that's not the ending and it kind of whiffs it from there, but just leaning into making a fun fanservice trip seems like a better idea than trying for full tension.

Yeah, I like both game ideas. The new call of Cthulhu looks like a mix of the old game and the Sherlock games. The sinking city looks good too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Yet for some reason, people still defend Ninja Theory's DmC :iiam:

People have said that the claim of colonialism in Monster Hunter World doesn't hold any water. You're setting out in 'The New World' , but there's nothing along the lines of steam-rolling over some preexisting society that lives there (as far as I know).

It's also been pointed out that, if anything, MHW has a sort of pro-environmentalism element to it, since the big final boss monster you're hunting is so destructive that wherever it goes, it massively screws up the ecosystems in its wake.

It's a case of "let's have this conversation" with the wrong game as an example. You can argue a case against the huntin aspect but, surprisingly, they were very conscious about the whole colonialism angle and characters really beat you over the head of the entire purpose of the expedition.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Max Wilco posted:

Honestly that strikes me as the game trying to have it's cake and eat it if it's meant to be like "people find this untouched ecosystem, but it's ok for them to aggressively hunt everything to death with your awesome weapons because they're all screwed up and humans need to introduce some kind of balance!".

I mean that is actually the kind of thing you would hear when it came to American or Australian settlers exerting control over the land that they colonized, with or without including the natives into it.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 24, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think it's especially explicit since monhun is never super story-heavy, but I think the backstory is that it's one of those surprise post-apoc settings and most of the big destructive monsters are byproducts of whatever happened back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Story of World: You are chasing after a monster that causes a cataclysm. It hangs out on an island. To help you kill this bigger monster, you kill smaller monsters and make gear and equipment out of their bodies, mine the ore and gather the herbs. Because it takes for god drat ever to sail from your home continent and as such there is no constant supplies coming in. In fact supplies are so short that the ships you arrive in are expected to be deconstructed and the materials recycled to help build necessities. And a concern for performing a massive attack on said cataclysmic monster is the fact that supplies are so short and they'll be screwed if the plan doesn't succeed.

A lot different from "YEE HAW THERES OIL ON THIS ISLAND, LETS START DRILLING AND CLEARCUT A FOREST TO OPEN A WALMART, MCDONALDS AND STARBUCKS!"