Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I didn't realize how little room for stuff is on the Trebuchet. I have two parts of the Jager now at least.

Even the Blackjack is better than the Trebuchet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I made a laser drill stalker with the LL rebalance. It's really good. Needs DHS. Just hang back and drill fuckers in the torso.

I'm enjoying the rebalance so far, knockdowns are way harder and lights are surviving a lot more now.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Even the Blackjack is better than the Trebuchet.

Nooo

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
I've been replaying the campaign with the new patch and it seems noticeably harder (I'm not playing with any of the custom difficulty settings, yet). The changes were subtle, but effective. The fact that lights are harder to hit, mechs fall down less often, and SRMs are no longer called shot drills make mechs last much longer. The nerf to called shot SRMs and knockdowns also makes it much harder to dissect mechs, and therefore harder to salvage. Additionally, the longer mech lifespan and the greater contact variability means that the missions feel much harder as well. I'm currently in the waiting period before grave robbing so we'll see what things are like after I get the lostech highlander.

The balance changes (especially to the LLs) are also quite welcome and really open up some new options. This combined with the aforementioned SRM/stability nerfs have completely changed how I configure mechs. I'm also enjoying the new events showing up. Overall, a great patch that breaths some more life into the game.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Does the game expect you to grind for mediums/heavies before starting the campaign? I'm trying to take on 1.5 - 2 skull missions and am getting wrecked.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Technowolf posted:

Does the game expect you to grind for mediums/heavies before starting the campaign? I'm trying to take on 1.5 - 2 skull missions and am getting wrecked.

It isn't necessary but it does help to get some contracts in between the story missions, the Arano chick flat out tells you to do it.

The new patch really did a lot to spice up the game for me. It used to be I'd just pick mechs based off of how many SRM 6s and med lasers it could carry, now I'm actually loading up LL's and some PPCs, it's great!

Now they just need to add more granularity to the mech drops. When you go up the next "level" of difficulty you end up seeing the heaviest mechs of a bracket fairly often, and you just end up skipping over all the lower tonnage ones. I never really got to mess around with grasshoppers/thunderbolts because by the time I saw my first one I already had an Orion/Blacknight/Banshee and a stalker. Same thing with the Zeus/Awesome/Battlemaster, by the time I got them I already had 2 highlanders, a Stalker and an Atlas. I love the Zeus/Awesome/Battlemaster but they came out so late I've only used each one once, just for fun.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Who on earth requested the «no rare salvage» difficulty setting? It just seems so arbitrary and pointless.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JacksLibido posted:

It isn't necessary but it does help to get some contracts in between the story missions, the Arano chick flat out tells you to do it.

The new patch really did a lot to spice up the game for me. It used to be I'd just pick mechs based off of how many SRM 6s and med lasers it could carry, now I'm actually loading up LL's and some PPCs, it's great!

Now they just need to add more granularity to the mech drops. When you go up the next "level" of difficulty you end up seeing the heaviest mechs of a bracket fairly often, and you just end up skipping over all the lower tonnage ones. I never really got to mess around with grasshoppers/thunderbolts because by the time I saw my first one I already had an Orion/Blacknight/Banshee and a stalker. Same thing with the Zeus/Awesome/Battlemaster, by the time I got them I already had 2 highlanders, a Stalker and an Atlas. I love the Zeus/Awesome/Battlemaster but they came out so late I've only used each one once, just for fun.

RNG is a big deal. In my campaign I've seen one Orion and one Black Knight, but I've already salvaged three Thunderbolts. You got lucky.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Technowolf posted:

before starting the campaign at all? Not remotely, no. It's actually extremely hard to reliably grind contracts to find heavies without advancing campaign missions. You can easily go at least through liberation: Panzyr with just mediums.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Who on earth requested the «no rare salvage» difficulty setting? It just seems so arbitrary and pointless.

eeehhhh, not my thing but I can see it. By about half way through the game the rare salvage just kind of falls all over you to the point that everything you have is rocking at least ++ if not +++ in their primary weapons.

Really it should be a slider. We need something between combing half a dozen worlds to find a decent ++ AC20 and having every demolisher you pop dump two on the ground.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I'll probably use it when I get round to doing a replay of the campaign, the game gets a hell of a lot easier when you can replace all of your weapons with upgraded versions you got as free loot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm really happy with the "salvaged 'Mechs start with nothing" option. Selling spare weapons by the dozen was basically how I fueled my first campaign, and getting a half dozen guns free per 'Mech is not exactly a small contributor to that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The one big change I'm making my next playthrough is hitting the toggle so salvaged mechs come stripped. I had the most fun in the vanilla game trying to cobble something workable together with that freebie cent that came stripped from a story mission and whatever garbage I happened to have lying around.

A cent with an LRM 10, a SRM 2 an AC 5, and whatever medium lasers I have lying around? Sure, why not, it's better than taking a panther.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugggh I fought an Orion and two Thunderbolts on a pirate battle but the max salvage possible was 2/8 so I went 1/4 to pay rent. :negative:

quote:

before starting the campaign at all? Not remotely, no. It's actually extremely hard to reliably grind contracts to find heavies without advancing campaign missions. You can easily go at least through liberation: Panzyr with just mediums.

I have Panzyr ready to go and I'm sort of dreading it because if you get unlucky with the turrets' shots you can get pretty overwhelmed and Ironman means campaign restart if I gently caress it up. I have a Jenner ready to rush the generator though.

quote:

The one big change I'm making my next playthrough is hitting the toggle so salvaged mechs come stripped. I had the most fun in the vanilla game trying to cobble something workable together with that freebie cent that came stripped from a story mission and whatever garbage I happened to have lying around.

I have hard enemy configurations, stripped mechs, Ironman, and permanent mech death on and it's a lot more fun and a lot more harrowing.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Strobe posted:

RNG is a big deal. In my campaign I've seen one Orion and one Black Knight, but I've already salvaged three Thunderbolts. You got lucky.

Yeah this is my third campaign and they’ve all been all over the place and that’s kind of the problem. I think they should really limit the +- tonnage compared to what you’re rolling with rather than the random spawns. I’d like to progress up the weight ladder and enjoy the variants rather than just jump to what’s best and sit there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dekker headshot and instantly killed an Orion on his first field trip so now I have an AC20 murderbot.

I'm glad you're not dead Dekker

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So I'm only just getting into the campaign for the first time with this new patch. Default settings, and it definitely seems harder to salvage things than a lot of the early thread indicated, since killing pilots is pretty hard to manage if you don't get at least 1 headshot randomly.

That said it's been a lot of fun blasting my way through with medium mechs. Dekker died as he lived, in a trash Spider. The rest of the og squad is pretty badass now though. Only heavy I've managed to cobble together so far is a Dragon, so I shoved the one mod I've found so far, an Arm++, in it, looking forward to just charging in and punching poo poo for crazy damage. What could go wrong? :v

Also I know the starter blackjack isn't amazing, but 2x LL and 2x ML with close to max armor and keeping the JJs has done some serious work. Bit hot, but not too bad. Game good. Shoot robutts.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Balance changes are good but there's still the huge problem of lots of mechs aren't really viable at all because they have no tonnage to work with.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Balance changes are good but there's still the huge problem of lots of mechs aren't really viable at all because they have no tonnage to work with.

Welcome to 3025.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Saw the game on sale and got it, but had to do family stuff and haven't gotten to play it much. Any tips for beginners? I used to play the tabletop game decades ago so I'm familiar with the mechs and weapons.

Did they do something to rebalance autocannons compared to the tabletop game? It was among two of my pet peeves:

-Felt like AC/10 was a much worse deal compared to a PPC. AC/20 could at least Frontload a lot of damage in a focused spot and AC/5 and 2 never felt worth the tonnage required.

-Ballistic weapons having to take ammo in one-ton lots aside from MGs. Often felt like wasted weight especially on low damage stuff like AC/2 or SRM 2.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

Saw the game on sale and got it, but had to do family stuff and haven't gotten to play it much. Any tips for beginners? I used to play the tabletop game decades ago so I'm familiar with the mechs and weapons.

Did they do something to rebalance autocannons compared to the tabletop game? It was among two of my pet peeves:

-Felt like AC/10 was a much worse deal compared to a PPC. AC/20 could at least Frontload a lot of damage in a focused spot and AC/5 and 2 never felt worth the tonnage required.

-Ballistic weapons having to take ammo in one-ton lots aside from MGs. Often felt like wasted weight especially on low damage stuff like AC/2 or SRM 2.

While buffed compared to tabletop, the AC2 is still not so great because raising it out of the sewers still leaves it in the gutter. (So of course there are lots of TT grogs trying to mod it back to it's even more poo poo values at the same time as adding in Clan PPCs)

That said? The AC5 and AC10 are REAL GOOD now.

A dual AC5 Jagermech was basically my killstealer dealcloser supreme robot in the early game, despite a lucky Orion capture I armed with an AC20 in the same lance my first playthrough.

AC10 is particularly amusing because early in the beta there was a lot of feedback of "It's perfectly balanced! You just need to git gud!". Now in the campaign, there are + mod variants even STRONGER than the one in the early beta!... But you hear complaints that it's not worth the tonnage instead.

Because you see, in the early beta it had exactly enough damage to one-hit headshot a pristine cockpit by default. Then the Devs gave cockpits a singular one extra health to barely survive a headshot to a fresh mech, and the AC10 has been "Trash" to that sort of person ever since :v: Because what good is a single player only AC10+ that can still instant kill mechs on a lucky dice roll if you can't use it in PvP, I guess?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 25, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To be fair, in PvP skirmish not only are you only facing up to a single lance, but your equivalent of the morale system is much less overpowered. So a chance to randomly take out 25% of the enemy force in a single shot is pretty good. But it's a lot less impressive compared to the ability, in campaign, to reliably core assaults after a certain point. Which is why damage-to-weight efficiency was such an overwhelming factor when paired with pre-nerf Precision Attack.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Panfilo posted:

I have never loaded or fired an AC10. I don't really know when I would instead of an AC20 but I've never seen an AC10+ either or anything.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
AC/10s were more interesting in 3055 which was the ruleset we must commonly played, because there was the LB/X variant that was a bit lighter and more compact and could work like a shotgun. But even then it was still a lot of weight.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I like Brawler+Skirmisher as my lead bots, so I probably used singular AC5's and AC10's on purpose a lot more than most. Particularly before tactics was so high on most of my roster than I could fire a single LRM20 in brawling range.

Welcome to Battletech, where people look at you funny for using an AC10 on a Centurion on purpose.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
AC/2s could be good if they changed the game (and tanked its performance even more) by increasing both map size and sensor ranges. Being able to plink away at lumbering assaults slowly oozing towards you long before they get within range would be useful even if the damage wasn't overwhelming.

As it is the super long range is basically wasted in the usual knife-fight robot scrum.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Are VTOLs in the game? A weapon like the AC/2 would be pretty handy to shoot their rotors off.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Difficulty options are awesome. I'm currently dropping into a mission while actually using the Locust (underweight! Because I don't have enough Machine Guns or Small Lasers to fill it back up after losing both arms one mission), one mission removed from dropping with three 'Mechs because I don't have enough spare parts to keep everything going, and I'm not getting enough spare cash from ridiculous numbers of salvaged 'Mech weapons to avoid going on missions for three weeks while everything repairs.

:allears:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I have never loaded or fired an AC10. I don't really know when I would instead of an AC20 but I've never seen an AC10+ either or anything.

My King Crab fit has an AC10 to go with its AC20. There were a couple missions where it took that ungainly beast three turns to get into AC20 range, during which that original dual AC20 fit was almost useless. Now I have the option of firing an AC10 breaching shot as I close, which isn't a huge deal, but beats hell out of nothing.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Here's my pet peeve tip: Reserve down to make the AI waste its moves in the initial rounds of contact. The tutorial doesn't tell you how or why to reserve and the AI is also barred from reserving by default. It's a really powerful tool to setup power plays vs the AI and critical to know for PvP. Just watch out as Turrets go in the last Phase, so don't go all the way if they are on the board. Also, all turrets have the Senor Lock skill and will use it if they don't got a shot.

Strobe posted:

Difficulty options are awesome. I'm currently dropping into a mission while actually using the Locust (underweight! Because I don't have enough Machine Guns or Small Lasers to fill it back up after losing both arms one mission), one mission removed from dropping with three 'Mechs because I don't have enough spare parts to keep everything going, and I'm not getting enough spare cash from ridiculous numbers of salvaged 'Mech weapons to avoid going on missions for three weeks while everything repairs.

:allears:

I'm using this:

With AICritChance: 1.0, to put them on par with humans in addition to my Better AI mod. So far I am getting that 3025 feel without too slow a progression and rocking that LCT myself. I actually have to worry about taking internal damage and the AI has put me in hard situations more than once. Sometimes every target is either 4 Evasion, Braced or both like in PvP. I worry that in later difficulties this will become a snowball downwards, but I'm seeing how far I can go before it stops being fun.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm trying to rush through the campaign now, because I really want to try playing with some of the new available rule toggles, but at the same time, I really want to finish up the game's story with the dude I originally created.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

I hate mission crashes. I've been playing this game today and twice the game has crashed at the end of a mission. Where is a every-x-turns autosave function if it's going to crash this much, a la other Paradox titles like Europa or Stellaris.

Edit: And now when I reload, on this story mission (Capture the Argo), the badguys guarding the the ship won't spawn. :smith:
I'm also annoyed that while my spider scout got taken down pretty hard... he ran into the reinforcements, did a heroic sensor lock, then shot some guys, lost a leg and got knocked down, took a pumelling from everyone while my fatass units tried to get there over multiple turns and didn't die... units got there, started wiping out the light mechs... Spider finally stands up, two turns does laser back shots on the tanks, does another sensor scan, boss shows up, sensor scan, everyone alphaing the boss, melee ensues...

Spider just hobbles up behind the shadowhawk helper and punches it in the back, causing a right torso critical hit, and it's taken down the next hit. It was a heroic spider that just wouldn't die and got back up afterward.

Edit2: "Grim Syphilis" would have been a better space pirate name.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 25, 2018

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The better AI mod + perma-destroyed mechs is fun - I just lost the starting Shadow Hawk on a contract because a firestarter jumped behind it, and cored it's CT from behind via ammo explosion. Behemoth survived, but now I'm running around with 3 mediums again and it's quite frantic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On progress: 3-4 contracts between Priority missions seems to be about what you'd need to do to stay on the power curve.

I suspect most people do more, but that's probably what you need to do to not find yourself horribly outgunned.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Panfilo posted:

AC/10s were more interesting in 3055 which was the ruleset we must commonly played, because there was the LB/X variant that was a bit lighter and more compact and could work like a shotgun. But even then it was still a lot of weight.

AC/10s are most interesting in the 3070s when they introduce one called the "Plasma Rifle" that weighs 6 tons and adds +1d6 heat to the target with each hit.

BattleTech gets a lot of cool weapons as the timeline progresses that help to even the IS/Clan playing field a lot.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

AC/10s are most interesting in the 3070s when they introduce one called the "Plasma Rifle" that weighs 6 tons and adds +1d6 heat to the target with each hit.

BattleTech gets a lot of cool weapons as the timeline progresses that help to even the IS/Clan playing field a lot.

Things like the Plasma Rifle are really interesting because they let you mess with other peoples heat and that's an under exploited mechanism in the game. Other than shutting yourself down when you hit and run forgetting your JJ heat.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
What King Crab builds have folks been coming up with? Right now I've an AC/10, 3 SRM6s, and a LRM15 on it but it's a little bit anemic. Dual AC/20s is cute, but they're just so heavy and short range on that lumbering brute of a mech is painful.

Did manage (with mods) to be lucky enough to snag a second gauss cannon though and am unsure about how best to exploit that!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Dual gauss Crab seems like the obvious solution. Max JJs help with the dual AC20 slowness, too, along with sprinting, vigilance, and a high Piloting mechwarrior.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
This is an unfinished game. It is an enjoyable game, but I hate that it's not considered a Beta. Fix your drat game, HBS. Turn 1 reinforcements are not reinforcements. How is this still a thing after the last patch? I refuse to believe this can possibly be a harder coding problem than literally changing a single value. I strongly suspect no one has had the common sense to change it from a set number to the same set number plus a value that corresponds to the number of turns preceding the enemy contact notification. I'm willing to make some kind of prop bet on this.

On a lighter note

Feel free to discuss.

(Although, I should also state that the writers ALSO dropped the ball here, because the bottom option where you thank your person for considering the other pilot's feelings somehow idiotically assumes that means you don't tell the other pilot. gently caress right off with that bullshit. Nothing in that prompt suggests you're not telling the other pilot, and you should seriously consider retaking high school English, you tool.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Turn 1 reinforcements are not reinforcements. How is this still a thing after the last patch?

Because it's working as intended and not what anyone would reasonably think it means based on the audio cues. It doesn't mean backup is dropping, it means there were more enemies than intel predicted. They were always supposed to be there immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is an unfinished game. It is an enjoyable game, but I hate that it's not considered a Beta. Fix your drat game, HBS. Turn 1 reinforcements are not reinforcements. How is this still a thing after the last patch? I refuse to believe this can possibly be a harder coding problem than literally changing a single value. I strongly suspect no one has had the common sense to change it from a set number to the same set number plus a value that corresponds to the number of turns preceding the enemy contact notification. I'm willing to make some kind of prop bet on this.

On a lighter note

Feel free to discuss.

(Although, I should also state that the writers ALSO dropped the ball here, because the bottom option where you thank your person for considering the other pilot's feelings somehow idiotically assumes that means you don't tell the other pilot. gently caress right off with that bullshit. Nothing in that prompt suggests you're not telling the other pilot, and you should seriously consider retaking high school English, you tool.)

please stop posting in this thread, thank you