Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Who needs a McDonald's and Starbucks when your cat pals make some of the most delicious looking food imaginable.

But yeah, there is a plot point in the story where if you didn't succeed, the new world would have been reduced to a smoldering ruin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jimbot posted:

Who needs a McDonald's and Starbucks when your cat pals make some of the most delicious looking food imaginable.

:yeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAfXQCItMA

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I think it's a valid topic to bring up in general but World is VERY explicitly about 'alright yea we'll cop to it not being GREAT to just slaughter these dragons to make fancy pants, but we're doing at worst minor damage in service of a greater cause that's stopping cataclysmic damage from happening, nature will rebalance the scales'.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The Monster Hunter knockoffs like Toukiden or God Eater avoid the colonialism stuff by explicitly having the monsters invade and attack the human world instead of you going out to claim theirs. Sure it means it's closer to more general post-apocalypse but it avoids some unfortunate connections to horrible real life stuff.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. with the right director and writers, that movie probaly would have been pretty good. it had the talent behind it.

Or just a better editor, even.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think a lot of the weird tonal issues with Monhun come from trying to marry the aesthetics of subsistence and trophy hunting

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It was also a brief aside in a much larger article and not some long, incoherent condemnation of the game as a whole. Frankly I can't believe we're still loving talking about this poo poo.

We're also still sticking with the "it's okay 'cause the plot says it's okay" tactic huh.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The series is explicit about the monsters you hunt not belonging in that environment or are causing damage to the ecosystem

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

We're also still sticking with the "it's okay 'cause the plot says it's okay" tactic huh.

That's how video games work, man. A splash screen tells me this doctor did a bad and I've gotta go shoot up his life's work and throw him in jail for doctor crimes or whatever. I ain't got time to spend on debating whether or not Mega Man is morally in the right to go through level after level murdering what may possibly be other sentient robot life forced to act against their will by a mad man, or whether or not Doctor Wily is justified in being an rear end in a top hat. The Yellow Devil is a war crime and I'll stick to that belief until I die.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Has any critic talked about how hosed up Me before you is? because id honestly be surprised that passed under critics radars because holy poo poo was that bad for disabled people.

found one. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/02/me-before-you-disabled-backlash-not-pitied

as someone with a bunch of physical disabled/etc. its not even just the suicide thing which is lovely and bad(but sorta understandable in the movies story) its that the idea that a relationship with anyone with any kind of disability is doomed and they should just be stoic smart asses who dispense wisdom and almost have a relationship but then they die because tragic.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 24, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Calaveron posted:

The series is explicit about the monsters you hunt not belonging in that environment or are causing damage to the ecosystem

I know it wouldn't much help from a "But look at all the kinds of people!" standpoint if the game were actually bad about it's content (But thankfully it's not), but I seem to remember that article trying to get on about like "Oh it evokes trumpian white privilege colonialist fantasies etc." too and all I can think is what, your cast of base people are pretty diverse, both in looks and attitudes, the game is real up front that killing Zorah Magdaros is an "Everyone gets in on this" affair, for good reason already explained, it's literally burning a giant hole in an ecosystem.

Also the new DmC was just terrible, the game itself sucked and they made it suck somewhat less in the remaster whatever edition, but there's no salvaging that story, the characters and the unsubtley homophobic stuff already shown. Not to mention it felt like every reviewer was taking bribes harder than usual, there was such a weirdly incensed defense of that miserable game from almost everyone, a lot of it trying to play on low effort "JEEZ, THESE GAMERS ARE SO ENTITLED" stories when uh yeah, 'reboot' or not I feel like you're fairly entitled to not having the devs try really hard to spit in your face over loving the previous games, made even more dodgy by again, the well put "OLD DANTE WAS A FAAAAAAG" sentiment coming off Tameem and NT. This was only a couple years ago too, this isn't a 2001 story where you can still rightfully shame them but also know that was unfortunately the lovely thing at the time, this was what, a year removed from gay marriage for everyone happening? And I mean this is a bigger stretch but the game's genre has pretty regularly been called 'stylish action' too and woah, you mean to tell me, that a game about a fun, cool and handsome protagonist doing anime as hell stylish kills on big monsters might have more than a few LGBT fans? Nonsense, WE KNOW OUR AUDIENCE. *Game utterly bombs*

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 24, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DmC has a part where Vergil shoots a pregnant woman to do an abortion, so gently caress that game

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Yardbomb posted:

I know it wouldn't much help from a "But look at all the kinds of people!" standpoint if the game were actually bad about it's content (But thankfully it's not), but I seem to remember that article trying to get on about like "Oh it evokes trumpian white privilege colonialist fantasies etc." too and all I can think is what, your cast of base people are pretty diverse, both in looks and attitudes, the game is real up front that killing Zorah Magdaros is an "Everyone gets in on this" affair, for good reason already explained, it's literally burning a giant hole in an ecosystem.

But like, if it is what's been described here, it sort of seems like they're finagling a way to make you run in and kill tons of animals in a new ecosystem and still have the player be the good guy in a rather contrived situation. I don't think it has much to say about environmentalism or conservation when it's sort of just window dressing so that you don't have to think about the odd implications of making games where the player seeks down and kills what look like big, rare animals mostly to get a prettier pair of trousers. Maybe it would be different if they could establish that the animals were like some kind of really bad man-made invasive species problem like you get with foxes or rabbits in Australia where extermination really is the best thing to do there, but the event that created the big bad dragon doesn't sound analogous to many actual environmental crisis irl, especially if it's as dissociated with human interference as it sounds. Not that I really have a big problem with the game I just think its a bit silly to make it a situation where, no no, you're helping the environment champ!

Its like in Uncharted or something the way they always have to have that 'Wow, that bad guy sure is bad!' scene where he kills his own men for something trivial or whatever, but it's kind of hollow, you aren't here to shoot mans for noble reasons, you're here because shooting mans is fun and whatever narrative justification they try and throw on top of it really doesn't matter.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

You're blending two different arguments into one here. There's the argument about what themes a work actually expresses and reflects in reality, and there's the argument on if something is justified within the context of the work.

The question isn't if what MHW presents is "okay", because that only matters within the fictional context of the work. The question is if MHW actually presents pro-colonialist themes or not in the first place. The context in which things are presented in a fictional work are absolutely important, and the arguments people are giving about the framing of the actions within the work aren't saying why a pro-colonialist situation in MHW is okay. They're counterarguments showing why MHW doesn't actually support a pro-colonialist reading.

I mean, what other way is there to say that a work doesn't actually support a given reading than to talk about evidence in the text that's contrary to that reading?

This isn't a Thermian Argument situation; that would be saying "yes, that work supports a pro-colonialist reading, but it's actually okay because of this fictional backstory that justifies it and so it's not bad". This, instead, is people saying "no, that work doesn't actually have a pro-colonialist reading in the first place, that's a shallow interpretation that ignores these other aspects of the themes as presented".

Edit:

khwarezm posted:

But like, if it is what's been described here, it sort of seems like they're finagling a way to make you run in and kill tons of animals in a new ecosystem and still have the player be the good guy in a rather contrived situation. I don't think it has much to say about environmentalism or conservation when it's sort of just window dressing so that you don't have to think about the odd implications of making games where the player seeks down and kills what look like big, rare animals mostly to get a prettier pair of trousers.

Yeah, this seems like a more reasonable way of presenting it. Honestly, based on what people have been saying so far, it doesn't sound like it really supports either a pro-colonialist or a pro-environmentalist reading, it's tangled up in itself and expressing two contrary perspectives at once that are at cross-purposes with each other.

Idran fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 24, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The funniest thing about DmC's narrative is that outside the scenes people talk about it's a pretty flavorless narrative, to the point that those notable scenes seem out of place when most of the time Dante is a vaguely concerned piece of cardboard pulled around by his two supporting characters.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
This monster hunter discourse is dumb as gently caress, sorry.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tired Moritz posted:

This monster hunter discourse is dumb as gently caress, sorry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Motto posted:

The funniest thing about DmC's narrative is that outside the scenes people talk about it's a pretty flavorless narrative, to the point that those notable scenes seem out of place when most of the time Dante is a vaguely concerned piece of cardboard pulled around by his two supporting characters.

this. like outside the abortion by sniper rifle and some of "witty dialogue". its not that edgy. its just kinda boring. some of the level/visual designs ideas are cool but it just feels like a 10 year old trying to tie big ideas like consumerism and banking poo poo with daemons and poo poo. hell, i feel like they downplayed a ton of nu-dantes edgyness after the big outcry over it. because he is mostly generic protag with some snark. virgil is the edgy one.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 25, 2018

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just think holding games where the objective is "kill X number of Y" will always be inherently problematic but we accept some amount of dissonance so we can have fun. It's like how every edgy teen has realized pokemon is dog fighting and act as if it's a novel observation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what about if you're killing imperialists.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

OmanyteJackson posted:

I just think holding games where the objective is "kill X number of Y" will always be inherently problematic but we accept some amount of dissonance so we can have fun. It's like how every edgy teen has realized pokemon is dog fighting and act as if it's a novel observation.

Pokemon explains it in universe in the weirdest way. Ultimately, pokemon are completely cool with pokemon fights and it's not dog fighting because they consent to fight one another on a daily basis. Just don't abuse your pokemon or you'll start another war and pokemon jesus will come down and murder everyone. :shepface:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
All pokemon are into MMAs

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Can I get a gracie breakdown on Charizard vs another Pokemon before I milkshake duck the entire world

You can paint all collectathons as anti environment, It's easy if you try

EDIT: What if collecting all the moons in Mario Odyssey destroys the character of the world and makes it like TRUMP'S AMERICA

Where's my loving Waypoint salary

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 25, 2018

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

Can I get a gracie breakdown on Charizard vs another Pokemon before I milkshake duck the entire world

EDIT: What if collecting all the moons in Mario Odyssey destroys the character of the world and makes it like TRUMP'S AMERICA

calm down lmao

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Also oh hey, boogie1488 has another steaming dump for everyone

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1010686866935312387

"Gay youth killed by hate" pause "caused by escalation"

Some straight up, bald-faced victim blaming this time!

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

what about if you're killing imperialists.

It depends. Most games get around this by having the protagonists home Invaded. That's how you get games like Homefront where your a Special ops soldier killing koreans and they are the Imperialists. I think a recent COD did that too with mexico.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

calm down lmao

Lol, my country won at the World Cup and I am loving life :D

Stay out of politics Boogie goddamnit

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The monsters you kill in mhw ARE an invasive species, especially the big elder dragons who are essentially climate change you can wallop with an iron bagpipe and make a nice outfit with

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

Gay person: I deserve human rights.

Boogie: Stop! Stop! Don't you see what you're doing?

I don't remember if I first read it here or not, but somebody said that Boogie's problems stem from childhood abuse, and I can kind of see his desperate need to satisfy everyone as a function of an abusive childhood where a person grows up thinking that he can stop the abuse by making everyone happy. Like he just sees all conflict as scary because it upsets the peace and reflexively fears being beaten without thinking about it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

Mario is actually a capitalist stealing all of the limited resources, POWER stars, from the native turtle populace. He uses them not to provide free energy and a comfortable way of life even for his own people, but to open doors within the vast and expansive castle manor grounds of the local royals. Quite literally crushing the locals under his booted feet in exchange for an easier passage through to the inner rooms of the palace.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

holy poo poo that reads like a parody. like something chapo gang would make up.

OmanyteJackson posted:

It depends. Most games get around this by having the protagonists home Invaded. That's how you get games like Homefront where your a Special ops soldier killing koreans and they are the Imperialists. I think a recent COD did that too with mexico.

it was like a super junta or some poo poo. it wasnt even mexico because they got invaded and occupied by the super junta too. idk ghosts is dumb, so dumb that they made Infinite warfare instead, which is a pretty great story for a cod game.

Kim Justice posted:

they arnt that bad. most of waypoints stuff is fine even good, its just kleppic is kinda nice but well meaning moron who tries way to hard(he wrote some piece saying he was will to dislike god of war if the right progressive person said it was bad) and austin makes some bad think pieces some times. i like waypoint overall. its polygon that are the bad ones.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 25, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

OmanyteJackson posted:

"Kill 30 Nazis to proceed to the next floor."

I don't think it's just games that have violence. If you want to go to the literal extreme, you could argue that a game and it's mechanics are open to political scrutiny or something. You could say that SimCity's requirements for a proper city are skewed towards a certain political alignment, or... I dunno, something like Factorio is pro-automization or something.

Then again, it could be that this thread has warped my brain into thinking like that.

Kim Justice posted:

"We know that Pauline is a mayor in Super Mario Odyssey. However, we don't know if she's a Democrat or a Republican. Should we be worried?"

- From 'Is Pauline the Rudy Giuliani of New Donk City?', an article by Sen Kuchaku.

OmanyteJackson posted:

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/754133383760842752
:v:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 25, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

That's how video games work, man. A splash screen tells me this doctor did a bad and I've gotta go shoot up his life's work and throw him in jail for doctor crimes or whatever. I ain't got time to spend on debating whether or not Mega Man is morally in the right to go through level after level murdering what may possibly be other sentient robot life forced to act against their will by a mad man, or whether or not Doctor Wily is justified in being an rear end in a top hat. The Yellow Devil is a war crime and I'll stick to that belief until I die.

I know it's not your point but Mega Man specifically doesn't kill any intelligent robots, he always makes sure to leave the bit of them that contains their personality intact. Bad example maybe.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Good example ruined by a nerd!!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dabir posted:

I know it's not your point but Mega Man specifically doesn't kill any intelligent robots, he always makes sure to leave the bit of them that contains their personality intact. Bad example maybe.

:goonsay:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Calaveron posted:

The monsters you kill in mhw ARE an invasive species, especially the big elder dragons who are essentially climate change you can wallop with an iron bagpipe and make a nice outfit with

No you don't understand. Your character, who is the player, who is most likely an American as Americans make up a sizable amount of the gaming population (imperialist), come onto a mass of land that isn't your homeland (invasion). While on this land and making camp (occupying) you go out and gather ores and herbs (exploiting resources) and kill sentient life (genocide)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dabir posted:

Does he? I'm pretty sure I remember shooting Guts Man until he exploded then absorbing his essence and learning how to throw bricks at Elec Man. I think Mega Man might just be a robot ghoul that eats other robots for their vitality and power. Dr. Light is some kind of hosed up enabler who stores their corpses in a museum, as you see in like. Mega Man 7? I think there's a museum full of Guts Men.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

"Kill 30 Nazis to proceed to the next floor."

I don't think it's just games that have violence. If you want to go to the literal extreme, you could argue that a game and it's mechanics are open to political scrutiny or something. You could say that SimCity's requirements for a proper city are skewed towards a certain political alignment, or... I dunno, something like Factorio is pro-automization or something.

Then again, it could be that this thread has warped my brain into thinking like that.

"We know that Pauline is a mayor in Super Mario Odyssey. However, we don't know if she's a Democrat or a Republican. Should we be worried?"

- From 'Is Pauline the Rudy Giuliani of New Donk City?', an article by Sen Kuchaku.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/754133383760842752
:v:

much like trump, their is always a mcintosh tweet for everything.

on your other point. you can find deeper meaning in anything/everything if you look enough. like i said earlier in thread. I can posit that the Modern warfare series takes place in a work where Aleksandr Dugin insane geo-political ideals took off in Russia and one of his parties actually became one of the dominant parties and after one of their leaders was killed they used him a martyr to take over russia.

its fun and good to analyze the poo poo out of stuff, but some people do it to much and to hard and they can't turn themselves off ever.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 25, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

God, gently caress this feckless spherical piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

boogie a shovel's not a fork, you can put it down.