Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Probably not. This is also looking like a smoke and mirrors operation to distract from his insider trading some time ago when he sold off shares just before Intel announced the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Wonder if he’d still have been retained if they were doing better on the CPU side.

It could be a face saving move, an affair is much less embarrassing than losing a 5 year lead in 5 years.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Mark Larson posted:

Probably not. This is also looking like a smoke and mirrors operation to distract from his insider trading

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Mark Larson posted:

Probably not. This is also looking like a smoke and mirrors operation to distract from his insider trading some time ago when he sold off shares just before Intel announced the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

"drat they can get me for securities fraud...better stick my dick into an employee."

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Seamonster posted:

"drat they can get me for securities fraud...better stick my dick into an employee."

Works for me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Any port in a storm.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....how hosed do things have to be that sticking your dick in someone gets you a vastly quicker exit than securities fraud?

One would think they would be equally quick, or the securities fraud only a little behind!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....how hosed do things have to be that sticking your dick in someone gets you a vastly quicker exit than securities fraud?

I don't know, but I certainly intend to find out!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mark Larson posted:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

One would think they would be equally quick, or the securities fraud only a little behind!
It's not insider trading or securities fraud in the eyes of the law. They did the same thing everyone else does, give adequate advance notice to sell the shares all the time even if you aren't really selling and then only actually do it if it benefits them. It was a legal thing to do, or at least it's assumed legal because it's widely abused by pretty much every person at that level.

Whether the government will step in and say "hey, it's not okay THIS time" even though they didn't the past few thousand times, who knows.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 21, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
New AMD promotion: turn in your CEO, we'll exchange it for a free Raja

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

How big is the new Intel socket going to have to be to handle Rajas shroud?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

Any port in a storm.

I didn't know we were up to USB Type D

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

NewFatMike posted:

I didn't know we were up to USB Type D

We already have A and C to insert our plugs into...

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

We already have A and C to insert our plugs into...

Heh.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
So um
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_fRowqscM

That sure is a thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Do all Samsung B-die modules clock fast, or are these chips also binned? I've been looking for fast ECC DIMMs, and I've stumbled across ones from Samsung themselves having their B-dies. But the fastest DIMM of theirs is DDR4-2400 CL17, a far cry from DDR4-3200 CL14.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's not a binning process, it's just validation of primary, secondary and tertiary memory timings. It just so happens that Samsung B-die can use some very aggressive timings with AMD Ryzen parts.

When you drop random memory kits into a motherboard, the motherboard checks its internal database to see if there is a validated memory timing that the motherboard vendor has determined to be "works best".

If there is a validated memory timing, the motherboard loads those timings. We find out if the motherboard has those timings by looking at the memory QVL.

If there is not a validated memory timing, the motherboard runs through algorithms and plugging in random values to obtain memory timings stable enough to boot. This is what happens with memory training.

As for ECC, the fact of the matter is that ECC will not overclock as easily or as high as non-ECC memory. ECC is made for stability.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 23, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do all Samsung B-die modules clock fast, or are these chips also binned? I've been looking for fast ECC DIMMs, and I've stumbled across ones from Samsung themselves having their B-dies. But the fastest DIMM of theirs is DDR4-2400 CL17, a far cry from DDR4-3200 CL14.
There are some 16gb ecc b-die sticks that will stable oc to 2933 / 16? (or maybe 17). OCing with ECC RAM is kinda fun because you see a fountain of errors when you get too aggressive.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 23, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Buildzoid points out that (due to AMD's lack of an on-package FIVR), with the additional power draw from XFR2's auto-OC functionality (with XFR2, you pull roughly 150W per 8 cores, excluding chipset), TR2 will need twice as many phases as existing TR1 boards have, even to run at "stock" XFR2 settings. He thinks only the only board he's seen that will run it is the MEG Creation, and you need 10 phases minimum, realistically more like 12-16 phases, for non-AVX loads, and for peak efficiency you'll want more like 24 phases (which - used to be the norm for high-end boards until Intel put the FIVR on-chip).

James Pryor didn't watch the video but says he's totally wrong.

Internet drama :jerky:

(realistically they will probably just throttle on existing boards, not melt the board. Existing boards will probably be limited to 1.2 volts or less when running all-core loads under air, which is probably... 3.5 GHz? And less under AVX.)

The insane 28-phase VRM boards are pretty much what you're going to need for these halo chips. Or one of those Galax auxiliary extreme-OC power-supply boards, if you're Buildzoid.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 24, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Khorne posted:

There are some 16gb ecc b-die sticks that will stable oc to 2933 / 16? (or maybe 17). OCing with ECC RAM is kinda fun because you see a fountain of errors when you get too aggressive.

It's loving stupid that ECC is not standard at this point given the existence of Rowhammer exploits that can literally be run from the web. On top of that, yes, super useful for OC'ing because the memory will literally tell you when it's starting to poo poo itself.

TR and certain pre-Broadwell Xeons have a unique trait here.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Okay, that's it who the gently caress in this thread works for AMD Marketing? I'm calling you out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

Okay, that's it who the gently caress in this thread works for AMD Marketing? I'm calling you out.

3/10, no "monster truck of computing", are you even trying bro

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Internet drama

:shrug:

The boost algorithms (iirc XFR2 communicates with the motherboard to get information about VRM capabilities) and hidden on-die sensors are already good enough that you'd have to be crazy to manually overclock a TR2 CPU other than for the sake of benchmark highscores.

There may be people out there that would trade an additional 15% performance boost spread over 64 threads for a 150% power consumption increase but I can't imagine that there are many of them. The whole point of these super high core count CPUs is to run them at or below their perf/watt sweet spot, of course they're going to produce dumb numbers if you apply 6-8C standards to them, see Intel's 5 GHz chiller demo.

speaking of internet drama, I worry about adoredtv's health if this isn't a hoax:
https://babeltechreviews.com/nvidias-ceo-is-the-uncle-of-amds-ceo/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This power phase bullshit pretty much just applies to the 24C and 32C variants, right? Who the gently caress cares about these? Only professionals and PCMR retards will realistically get those, former because of need and latter because of bragging rights. And only latter will overclock these, so not sure why anyone cares. Price will prevent prosumers from buying them.

The 32C one tickles me for all the casual VM and compiling bullshit, but as said, price is a barrier. Also, the double bandwidth between dies goes away with that one. Which I assume will have an effect on inter-die latencies.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

This power phase bullshit pretty much just applies to the 24C and 32C variants, right? Who the gently caress cares about these? Only professionals and PCMR retards will realistically get those, former because of need and latter because of bragging rights. And only latter will overclock these, so not sure why anyone cares. Price will prevent prosumers from buying them.

The 32C one tickles me for all the casual VM and compiling bullshit, but as said, price is a barrier. Also, the double bandwidth between dies goes away with that one. Which I assume will have an effect on inter-die latencies.

Do we know what it will cost? I am tempted to switch my 16C for the 32C version.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not yet. Probably twice the 16C version. Maybe a little less, either as a gently caress you to Intel, or because there's a chance the bins on it might be a little worse, with what the official base and boost clocks being lower than the 16C version.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

(realistically they will probably just throttle on existing boards, not melt the board. Existing boards will probably be limited to 1.2 volts or less when running all-core loads under air, which is probably... 3.5 GHz? And less under AVX.)

Do Zen chips actually have appreciably higher power use on AVX loads? I figured the power draw would be similar to SSE since Zen has half-rate AVX ops.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not yet. Probably twice the 16C version. Maybe a little less, either as a gently caress you to Intel, or because there's a chance the bins on it might be a little worse, with what the official base and boost clocks being lower than the 16C version.

Hmmm, that will probably be around 2000 Euros, that's a bit much.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Do we know what it will cost? I am tempted to switch my 16C for the 32C version.

my prediction
32c - $1600
24c - $1200
16c - $800

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

Do Zen chips actually have appreciably higher power use on AVX loads? I figured the power draw would be similar to SSE since Zen has half-rate AVX ops.
they do not though they can't run AVX512, which is the power hog instruction set

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any last-minute advice before I attempt to fix a few crooked pins on my Ryzen CPU? I値l be very careful, but more than that is needed when a 100% success rate is required.

I値l be wiggling a toiny flat iFixit screwdriver to bring them upright, then I値l use a rolled out boxcutter to align them properly. Still don稚 know whether, when nor how they might break though.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ufarn posted:

Any last-minute advice before I attempt to fix a few crooked pins on my Ryzen CPU? I値l be very careful, but more than that is needed when a 100% success rate is required.

I値l be wiggling a toiny flat iFixit screwdriver to bring them upright, then I値l use a rolled out boxcutter to align them properly. Still don稚 know whether, when nor how they might break though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8U2NkbiMAI

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was hoping that would involve a potato and a plunger or something.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Did you open palm slam it into the socket or something?

I won't be laughing when I do this inevitably.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 25, 2018

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I really hope AM5 has a better retention mechanism. Nothing wrong with PGA, just there really shouldn't be a risk of damage when just removing the cooler.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It would be nice if there was a frame that swung down over the top like LGA. Doesn't have to be a precisely tensioned doohickey like LGA, since the ZIF socket makes contact with pins, just something to keep it from getting yanked out by the cooler.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I just moved back from Europe to Australia, but I managed to leave the part of my motherboard that the cooler screws onto behind. I've currently got my computer set up open air on top of the motherboard box with the cooler simply held down by gravity. The temperatures are actually quite good, hitting about 30C at idle.

Should I even bother asking ASRock if they can send me a replacement? What other options are there?

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if Hector Ruiz became the next Intel CEO

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Measly Twerp posted:

I just moved back from Europe to Australia, but I managed to leave the part of my motherboard that the cooler screws onto behind. I've currently got my computer set up open air on top of the motherboard box with the cooler simply held down by gravity. The temperatures are actually quite good, hitting about 30C at idle.

Should I even bother asking ASRock if they can send me a replacement? What other options are there?

My guess is that ASRock will send you the part for a small cost, plus silly shipping. Likely still cheaper than a new cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloody Antlers posted:

What if Hector Ruiz became the next Intel CEO

Nah, Tom Forsyth.