Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That's where Wesker supposedly gave her the signature hookshot so maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Can't help but wonder how they'll change ada's death scene falling down that shaft.

Since Claire A/Leon B is THE CANON Ada dies from X throwing her into the console and then comes back to give Leon the rocket launcher.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Kibayasu posted:

Since Claire A/Leon B is THE CANON Ada dies from X throwing her into the console and then comes back to give Leon the rocket launcher.

I always thought having your spine smashed into an electric console by Mr.X was way harder to explain surviving.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Can't help but wonder how they'll change ada's death scene falling down that shaft.

Probably be her leon b scene instead.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I remember an old theory that since she fell down and leon chucked the g virus down there thats how ahe survived in A and she had the pendant in B so she got g that way. Or some poo poo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ada survives because you, the player, believed in her. Thank you players!!!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Even if she survived and was able to give Leon the rocket launcher, the place was still about to explode and they took the only way out without her.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Vikar Jerome posted:

I remember an old theory that since she fell down and leon chucked the g virus down there thats how ahe survived in A and she had the pendant in B so she got g that way. Or some poo poo.

Nah, after RE0, Billy was squatting in the secret underground lab, and Ada landed on him, breaking her fall and killing Billy in the process.

That’s the reason Billy’s never been in another RE game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if ada can make herself real small like a mouse it explains how her spine doesnt shatter and she can escape. its pretty simple really

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

LadyPictureShow posted:

Nah, after RE0, Billy was squatting in the secret underground lab, and Ada landed on him, breaking her fall and killing Billy in the process.

That’s the reason Billy’s never been in another RE game.

Solving two Resident Evil plot mysteries at once! Capcom, hire this man!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Momomo posted:

Even if she survived and was able to give Leon the rocket launcher, the place was still about to explode and they took the only way out without her.

you are underestimating the amazing power of the hookshot. she obviously latched on to a passing plane through the ceiling.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe we're gonna get a new Separate Ways

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I wonder what Sally Cahill is up to these days and if she would want to voice Ada again

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
turns out Ada Wong really did die and it just turns out an identical looking woman also named Ada Wong was the one that gave Leon the rocket launcher

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestonJew posted:

turns out Ada Wong really did die and it just turns out an identical looking woman also named Ada Wong was the one that gave Leon the rocket launcher

Wait they are remaking re6 too???

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

CharlestonJew posted:

It was actually birkins wife wearing dead ada's clothes,she thought the rocket launcher would flatten leon but it didn't work.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

I thought this was the idea behind Ada's epilogue in the RE3 slides before Capcom decided to scrap it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You think it maybe has something to do with that they were trying to capture some of that B (c?) slasher movie magic that absolutely nothing adds up or makes sense?

All I know is I'm the most excited I've been about RE since 5 came out

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I always thought having your spine smashed into an electric console by Mr.X was way harder to explain surviving.

It's kind of a nice touch that when she limps back into Raccoon City in RE:UC, in "Death's Door," she's 90% covered in bandages and can barely move.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

codo27 posted:

You think it maybe has something to do with that they were trying to capture some of that B (c?) slasher movie magic that absolutely nothing adds up or makes sense?

It's not so much that as that Japanese media does not place an emphasis on willing suspension of disbelief.

In Western media, we tend to have to trick ourselves into fantasy. Modern fiction tends to have to start small and from common points of divergence, pseudo-scientific babble has to make some sense to the layman or it'll be rejected, and even with the weirdest works, like superhero fiction, crossover tabletop games, or everything-you-know-is-wrong urban fantasy, they usually have to work their way up to the really crazy poo poo. The Marvel Cinematic Universe had to build up to Infinity War over the course of ten years and twenty-odd movies; The Dresden Files began as a slightly magical private detective series before flying off into its current state about angels, demons, vampires, and world-spanning explosive finales. Even in outright fantasy, the "low" stuff--Lord of the Rings, "A Game of Thrones"--tends to be way more popular.

Comparatively, with Japanese media in particular, there's an implicit assumption that if you're sitting down in front of this work in the first place, you came to play. You've already bought in. The work treats you as if your belief is already permanently suspended and it is now safe to get as loving weird as it likes, no matter the genre, context, setting, or characters. Sometimes it's relatively restrained, of course, depending on the individual creator, but it's also part of what got Japanese media its international fans and reputation. You can go ahead and throw in a whole episode about a bouncing homicidal harlequin into what's otherwise your surprisingly grounded, near-future series about bounty hunters ("Cowboy Bebop") or take it as read that sufficiently trained martial artists can shoot fire from their hands (any Japanese fighting game) or begin from the premise that two entire generations of Japanese families are just kind of okay with the small but significant chance that their junior-high-school-age children might be chosen for the annual televised murder party (Battle Royale).

One of the things that fascinates me about Resident Evil in general, especially the earlier games, is that it's a Japanese homage to Western fiction and does not really make an attempt to reconcile the two approaches. You can see that in how the fans wrestle with it, like how the T-Virus has never had a consistent infection vector or the series's traditional love of dramatically overcomplicated plans and conspiracies. I'd argue here that a lot about the franchise makes more sense than fans want to give it credit for, but particularly in the earlier games or the later games that are deliberately trying to mimic the older ones (i.e. Revelations), they've always gone for impact first, narrative consistency way second.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have much to say except the post above me was really good.

Also isn't actual RE2 canon a weird mix of all of the scenarios?

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Hey Wanderer, do you have any plans to update your old Resident Evil plot analysis FAQ? That thing is comfy as hell to read on rainy afternoon with a cup of tea.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Agoat posted:

Also isn't actual RE2 canon a weird mix of all of the scenarios?

They've muddied the waters over the years. The original "Wesker's Report" movie made it look like the official version of RE2 was some mutant scenario where Leon did everything, and that was apparently what was used to inform a couple of later story summaries like the one that shipped with the steelbook PS2 edition of RE4. You could point here to Darkside Chronicles, but the version of RE2 in that game is pretty clearly a story that Leon is telling to Krauser and you can write off a lot of the inconsistencies as being down to an unreliable narrator.

That being said, between "Death's Door" in RE:UC and Sherry still being a G-Virus host in RE6, they've made it pretty clear that Claire A/Leon B is about as official as you could hope for. Sherry never gets infected at all in Leon A/Claire B.

Contingency Plan posted:

Hey Wanderer, do you have any plans to update your old Resident Evil plot analysis FAQ? That thing is comfy as hell to read on rainy afternoon with a cup of tea.

It's more complicated to do so than you'd think. My old GameFAQs logins don't work anymore, so the version on that site is pretty much locked in that state forever.

Every so often I haul it out and poke at it, and there's a version hosted on residentevilfan.com that's the most recent release, but nobody pays me to work on that so it's often way on the back burner.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I always thought Birkin was the scariest monster in the whole series so I'm thrilled(?) at seeing G in full HD. Mr. X is rad as hell too.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Wanderer posted:

They've muddied the waters over the years. The original "Wesker's Report" movie made it look like the official version of RE2 was some mutant scenario where Leon did everything, and that was apparently what was used to inform a couple of later story summaries like the one that shipped with the steelbook PS2 edition of RE4. You could point here to Darkside Chronicles, but the version of RE2 in that game is pretty clearly a story that Leon is telling to Krauser and you can write off a lot of the inconsistencies as being down to an unreliable narrator.

That being said, between "Death's Door" in RE:UC and Sherry still being a G-Virus host in RE6, they've made it pretty clear that Claire A/Leon B is about as official as you could hope for. Sherry never gets infected at all in Leon A/Claire B.

It's more complicated to do so than you'd think. My old GameFAQs logins don't work anymore, so the version on that site is pretty much locked in that state forever.

Every so often I haul it out and poke at it, and there's a version hosted on residentevilfan.com that's the most recent release, but nobody pays me to work on that so it's often way on the back burner.

I appreciate your post. I had been wondering for a while. I played the main games but skipped spin offs.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I only beat RE once as a kid, I actually got it after RE2, it was the Directors Cut. I dont really remember gently caress all about it. Beyond the encounter with the first zombie I dont really know where to go. We're away from our house for work and all I have is this laptop who's GPU grinds to a halt trying to play RE0, but gf has Gamepass on Xbone. RE0, 1 and 6 are available. So I'm downloading REmake now and am gonna go back in semi-blind cause I'm fuckin itching for some Resident Evil.

Itchy. Tasty

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

StandardVC10 posted:

Solving two Resident Evil plot mysteries at once! Capcom, hire this man!

A woman writing Resident Evil plots?! That’ll be the day! :v:

My other groundbreaking idea is a game where you play as Piers, (who didn’t die) who can shoot bio-blasts from his mutated arm. Secret labs are being compromised all over the world, and only Piers can shut them down, monster-to-monster. Upon defeating the robot zombie master in each lab, he injects that virus strain into his body, gaining that robotzombie’s powers.

Piers is the only thing standing between Dr. Wiley Wesker and complete global saturation.

(Hire me Capcom!)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've gotta quick question about Revelations/2 on the Switch if anyone's picked it up yet. What's the multiplayer coop like? Is it split-screen? And is it easy to use?

My friend and I just beat Resident Evil 5 split-screen after 3 years of struggling and we're looking for the next challenge.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the coop in rev2 is much less complete than 5 or 6. i can't comment on the switch version in particular, but of the 4 playable characters 2 have guns, 1 has the crowbar of ultimate power, and the last one is a little girl who can point at stuff and chuck bricks, which are limited in supply.

the writing is better than the gameplay, which is merely serviceable.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Status report on REmake: pick the hardest of the 3 options (cause I'm just off Dark Souls so ya know) and get killed by the first zombie tying to kill him with the knife (incorrectly remembering they beefed it up like 4+ for the remake).

This is gonna be fun

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I did a knife only run with Chris in his stoner outfit a few years back and for some reason like 30+ people streamed it through Steam as I was playing and watched me complete the whole thing in a few hours (with some coming and going) for the achievement

Ty for the views, mystery RE group

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was just thinking about how knife only runs were a thing and how insane it is.

On yellow caution > get grabbed > use dagger > get grabbed again > well I'm not worried cause that last grab I used the dagger so it couldn't have hurt > dead

I just can't believe that as a 12-13 year old kid I wasn't creeped out by this at all but as a 30 year old man I was kinda glad to die so I could stop playing for the night. Too intense man

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

if ada can make herself real small like a mouse

holy poo poo I knew it.....Ada was D.I.J. the whole time

Vakal
May 11, 2008

codo27 posted:

I was just thinking about how knife only runs were a thing and how insane it is.

Peak knife insanity in the RE series will always be Nicholai runs in the Operation Mad Jackal mini-game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-M7UFNRaz0

Vakal fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 25, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I've only ever managed a knife run in the original game, and REmake. And even then I was a loving babby coward in the original, hated every moment of that knife-only poo poo. Only did it again in REmake for meaningless achievement gubbins.

Beretta-only is where it's at, regarding RE '96. It's still difficult but not loving suicidal when you want to clear a hallway. And you can't use the knife so there's that 'well, is this really worth the ammo?' aspect.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

DLC Inc posted:

holy poo poo I knew it.....Ada was D.I.J. the whole time

The correct term is animagus.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve done Knife runs and Mad Jackal Nicholi is too drat much.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I can be beaten over the head over and over with how RE5 and 6 are better games than 4, but I'll never get it. There's something to 4 that bring me (and others) back again and again and all I can think of is it has something to do with the weapons. Like, I've done countless runs with only 1 weapon (Red9 being the golden choice, obviously) but with 5 and 6 I've never had the same inclination. (Can you even do that in 6?) Never done a knife run in 4 though... I mean, obviously you'd have to cheat for a few key parts. But y'know...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you replay chapters in 6 you keep all your weapons from later chapters. the best weapon is still jake's equippable melee, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's knife only like in RE7