Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lol these headlines, man. Not that there's anything wrong with calling out Taylor Swift, but he only very generally referred to "the Taylor Swifts of the world"...

Anyway, here's a few cool interviews.

http://www.nin.com/trent-reznor-in-conversation-with-lizzy-goodman/

http://ew.com/music/2018/06/20/trent-reznor-bad-witch-interview/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, pretty click-baity titles. Anyway, the replies on that article are hilarious. A bunch of Trump lovers pissed about Trent talking poo poo.

Anyway, this release is great. I love that he's willing to just do whatever he wants at this point. I mean, I'm Not From This World is hardly trying to be marketable.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, pretty click-baity titles. Anyway, the replies on that article are hilarious. A bunch of Trump lovers pissed about Trent talking poo poo.

Anyway, this release is great. I love that he's willing to just do whatever he wants at this point. I mean, I'm Not From This World is hardly trying to be marketable.
:same:

I like how that's basically the chorus of Branches/Bones too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JujihaeDpQ0

He's the Honey Badger. He's pretty badass, runs all over the place.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 22, 2018

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

polyester concept posted:

Not that his kids are any of our business but a few pages back somebody pointed out how they've been given the most insufferable names ever:

Pro tier move naming your daughter after a bagel topping. This is why you don't brainstorm baby names before breakfast, TRez

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Not that his kids are any of our business but a few pages back somebody pointed out how they've been given the most insufferable names ever:

please tell me the unnamed kid is actually named Untitled Track Reznor

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Those names are unique. I'll give him that.

Trent has put enough stuff out that it's not worth arguing about which period was his creative peak. We can just enjoy his music without ranking it. Bowie had over 25 albums, and so many are great in their own ways and for their own reasons. I couldn't possibly say whether Hunky Dory was better than Outside or not because they're both amazing yet nothing alike.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

Man in suit: Hello, Mr Reznor. I'm from Child Protective services

Trent Reznor: Is there a problem

Man in suit: This might seem unusual but I have here an injunction that prevents you from naming your own children. This isn't something we usually do but it's come to our attention this is something you can no longer be trusted to do

Trent Reznor: Oh come on now, I'm not that bad at naming.

Random studio guy: Hey Trent, here's the final mix for song poo poo Mirror off your upcoming album Bad Witch

*Man in suit's eyes narrow as Trent Reznor starts sweating profusely*

lmao :perfect:

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
It's up on Spotify now!

poo poo Mirror is...pretty loving good. I can bump this in the car.

Edit:

Wow, Ahead of Ourselves is loving wild. This bangs.

Sai-kun fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 22, 2018

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I'm Not From This World is incredible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay, so I know I should be talking about Bad Witch, but honestly I've kind of moved on from it already and I'm listening to the new Death Grips album and it's loving excellent. It's industrial in the way I wish the new NIN had been.

It really would've been loving amazing to see them on tour with NIN. Shame they had to pull one of their fake breakup publicity stunt things and pull out of that tour :smith:

Hearing Trent produce an album for them would also loving rule, but that's probably not going to happen since their relationship is probably tenuous after that stunt.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love how Trent's like "It's not an EP because it's over half an hour" and then it's actually 30:12 and the last 15 seconds are silence.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I love how Trent's like "It's not an EP because it's over half an hour" and then it's actually 30:12 and the last 15 seconds are silence.
That wasn't his reason though. He said it was so it'd be easier to find on streaming services.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That was one of the reasons, yes, but he also said the thing I said. Also it's fun to poke fun at him, quit being a wet blanket.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I'm glad someone like it :)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bad Witch gets a resounding "meh" from me. Nothing super stands out. It's ok, but... eh.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm glad someone like it :)
it was great.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

I want to know if the third kid is named something even more embarrassing or like John Michael or something

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Bad Witch is incredible and imo better than the new Death Grips album. There's a lot of cool ideas on the new DG but I think the new NIN is more concise and manages to pull off a raw-sounding mix without sounding muddy as hell

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bad Witch gets a resounding "meh" from me. Nothing super stands out. It's ok, but... eh.
:yeah:

Add Violence was better. I'll take The Background World over any song from Bad Witch save for God Break Down The Door thank you very much

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its a good day for new music

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i enjoy the album.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Its a good day for new music

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Bad Witch is incredible and imo better than the new Death Grips album.

What an incredibly high bar to clear

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Bad Witch is okay but it's probably my least favorite of the EPs, and I wasn't big on the EPs to begin with. It feels like Trent is running out of ideas, at least musically.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So is there any particular reason he's called this an LP rather than an EP?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tldr reason is for spotify purposes

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Wasn't mad on God Break Down the Door as a single, but it's a great standout track on the record. The more I listen the more it feels like NTAE and Bad Witch fit together, with Add Violence as the outlier. The colour palette of the album covers only fuels my baseless theory. Add Violence is my favourite of the 3 though. Love those NIN keyboard progressions and The Background World is absolutely mega. I was hoping for more of that on Bad Witch if I'm honest. I like the project we got though.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
If I had to trim this to one album, I'd cut The Idea of You and Not Anymore. Standouts are Burning Bright, The Lovers, The Background World, and Over and Out.

Not Anymore is the only one I don't really like though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TOOT BOOT posted:

Bad Witch is okay but it's probably my least favorite of the EPs, and I wasn't big on the EPs to begin with. It feels like Trent is running out of ideas, at least musically.
I like the jazz (or maybe it's nu-jazz) influence on God Break Down The Door and I'm Not From This World which wasn't around in NIN before (or wasn't prevalent, at least), but yeah, even with that it doesn't feel like Bad Witch is making a strong statement as a whole. I wish all of the tracks had been as memorable as God Break Down The Door (because that one immediately sunk its hooks into me and I still love it), but they just aren't to me.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
God Break Down the Door is the best song and it's completely a Blackstar ripoff. Pretty disappointed in the album/EP/whatever it is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nail Rat posted:

God Break Down the Door is the best song and it's completely a Blackstar ripoff.

I got massive Sue vibes from it.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
So is anyone else going to tonight's gig at the Royal Albert Hall? Not sure what time to get there - it says doors open at 1830, but I assume I can go earlier to eat at one of the food places, then just head on down from there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drat I wish I was.

Approximate schedule:
5:30pm Restaurants and bars open
6:45pm Auditorium doors open
7:30pm Black Moth Super Rainbow
8:15pm Interval
9:00pm Nine Inch Nails
10:30pm ends

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Cheers, hadn't seen that schedule. Assuming I can just turn up at 1730 then for a bite to eat.

So drat hot in London today I'm tempted to wear shorts to the gig.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Hah, just been past and there's already 20 people queuing outside. Wouldn't have thought there's any need but I'm wondering if I need to queue this early too.

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?
I thought they were only performing in the US until literally a few days ago lol RIP me

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/dariocotti/status/1011005160070569986

:vince:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Weird sticker on the CD packaging:

“THE COMPACT DISC VERSION OF BAD WITCH”

As Sir Lemming pointed out to me, it’s like Trent is specifically guilt-tripping you for not buying it on vinyl :v:

Also that original release date note like it’s a radio promo or something (I bought it on Amazon).

Halo number clearly visible, in case people were wondering if that was still a thing:

Fun fact: This is the first NIN album to have more swearing in the track titles than in the actual songs. :haw: Lil' Balthazar Venn can attend rehearsals without Mariqueen covering his ears.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 25, 2018

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

nice